Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Crimson: The Fulbright Hays is also known as the "Halfbright" - and as Rachael has pointed out that the FH is geared towards doctoral dissertation work and is generally less prestigious, has smaller funding grants and favors PhD students in the History, Geography, Religion, Anthropology, Language, Arts rather than the Sciences.

By the way "Hi" I am applying for a Fullbright to the Ukraine.

Crimson: The Fulbright Hays is also known as the "Halfbright" - and as Rachael has pointed out that the FH is geared towards doctoral dissertation work and is generally less prestigious, has smaller funding grants and favors PhD students in the History, Geography, Religion, Anthropology, Language, Arts rather than the Sciences.

From my research, it seems that the Fulbright Hays is funded based on a proposed budget. People were funded between 25 and 45 thousand dollars for 6-12 months of study. Also, it is throught the Dept. of Education as opposed to the Department of State. Don't think I am such a fan of the term "halfbright" especially considering I am from the focus areas that you said it favors.

Question: The application only gives two spaces for institution affiliations -- I have three! Does this mean that I can only use my Fulbright grant (if I get one) for the two I write in my application? On the other hand, the pages that let you upload the letters of affiliation say that you can upload more than one letter per page (i.e. put all your letters into one pdf), so theoretically I could put all three of my letters into one pdf doc and upload that. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Welcome to our wonderful 2011-2012 thread!

So, I've also been struggling with my SOP, but here's what I think, based on finishing up my SOP, the FPA, and a Fulbrighter who went to Germany:

1. For ETA, you should also include what makes you qualified to teach English in that country. So you can mention any TAing you've done, volunteer work with students, stuff like that. You are correct, just your overall desire to travel and teach is not enough.

2. Mention HOW going to Norway would benefit you. You could mention you want to investigate your family tree as a side project, but I think they'd want something more substantial. BUT I think you can swing your research in TB to your advantage. Why don't you somehow partner with another disease care organization? Since you have BACKGROUND in disease research (that's Epidemiology , right?) you can go ahead and do some community thing with that, since you want a career in public health. Hmm, I hope that makes sense.

3. Your degree in Spanish would help you tremendously, I think, in Brazil. And if you mention you've taken a semester in Portuguese and explain how you plan to continue that, then that would make you even better, since the country summary page for Brazil mentions that you should start taking Portuguese a little before your trip. Then you could even couple your research background with something in Brazil too.

So in general, I think your research can be applied to almost anything in any country, but you have a stronger connection (it seems) with Brazil b/c you fit into the qualifications.

I hope this helps ...

Hi everyone! This is my first post, I'm new to the forum. First off, thanks to those who have shared links and good luck to all the applicants!

I just wanted to second this comment -- the adviser at my campus stressed that it's more an issue of best fit rather than having a particular country in mind and contorting your application to suit it. A friend of mine decided that she wanted to pursue a research grant in francophone Africa, but after realizing that the "good fit" was lacking ultimately ended up switching to Finland and won. However, I've heard of successful individuals who selected a project after deciding upon a country and vice versa. Seems that the Fulbright eludes any type of consistency tongue.gif... just wanted to add my two cents!

I have a few questions for you guys --

Would anyone like to share their process of selecting a country? I keep vacillating between my narrowed-down options... I think the fact that I'll be immersing myself in a different country for a year is making me a commitment phobe! haha

In addition, has anyone thought about their letters of rec yet? My campus FPA said that they must be from faculty, but is this a strict requirement? I'm a strong student, but my diverse interests (1 major and 3 minors) means that I'm not buddy-buddy with a large amount of professors who could testify to my academic skills for more than one semester. However, I was heavily involved in volunteer/community outreach, and before attending the info session felt more comfortable using one or two of my 'supervisors.' Anyone in the same boat? :-/

I appreciate all comments / thoughts / advice!

strgrl522, I chose my country based on previous experience and passion for the country and its culture. I have done two other research projects with Vietnam as my site, and my goal is to be an "expert" on Vietnam/Southeast Asia. I am hoping that my expertise in the region, combined with my future PhD in education makes me more marketable as a professor. However, I was considering another country based on interest and a low number of applications per year for that country. However, I decided my background and language experience with Vietnam would make me a stronger candidate there.

I have my thesis advisor and dissertation advisor writing letters for me. My third letter is going to be from my boss's boss (though technically she is my boss, I don't report to her) for my summer fellowship. She is a pretty big name in my field (education), so I am hoping a letter from her gets me extra points!

Question: The application only gives two spaces for institution affiliations -- I have three! Does this mean that I can only use my Fulbright grant (if I get one) for the two I write in my application? On the other hand, the pages that let you upload the letters of affiliation say that you can upload more than one letter per page (i.e. put all your letters into one pdf), so theoretically I could put all three of my letters into one pdf doc and upload that. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Tzar, I would email someone at IIE to confirm what you need to do if you have three institutions. I know I was in contact with someone to went to Brazil and had two affiliations. Just email them. At least if something happens, you have someone official from IIE stating blah blah. Most likely, you are correct though.

I have a few questions for you guys --

Would anyone like to share their process of selecting a country? I keep vacillating between my narrowed-down options... I think the fact that I'll be immersing myself in a different country for a year is making me a commitment phobe! haha

In addition, has anyone thought about their letters of rec yet? My campus FPA said that they must be from faculty, but is this a strict requirement? I'm a strong student, but my diverse interests (1 major and 3 minors) means that I'm not buddy-buddy with a large amount of professors who could testify to my academic skills for more than one semester. However, I was heavily involved in volunteer/community outreach, and before attending the info session felt more comfortable using one or two of my 'supervisors.' Anyone in the same boat? :-/

I appreciate all comments / thoughts / advice!

Hi stgrl522,

My field is civil engineering and a lot of our projects can really be done anywhere, so it's a matter of finding connections and as it seems to be a common thread in Fulbright "best fit" between my research and the institution. I obtained a minor in German and did a three month research internship in Germany, so that was my first choice. Then my adviser in CE wanted me to contact people in the Netherlands and Norway. It ended up that Germany was the "best fit" and that those profs who we contacted were all in Germany. Once I narrowed down my country, I started looking up universities with departments/faculty who do similar work to what I am doing (which is modeling the nitrogen cycle via a couple hydrologic-crop-biogeochemical model ... it sounds more complicated than it really is). Because I started so early and had my SOP lined up, I basically went shopping for possible affiliations. I have three possible affiliations in Germany and am basically just making up my mind based on the social scene, cost of living, etc.

In terms of letters of rec, it seems I always go to the same three I also used for fellowships and graduate school. Mine are all from faculty, but I would check the website:http://us.fulbrightonline.org/preparing_completingreferences.html

Quoting them: Three (3) references are required.

• Graduating seniors and recent graduates
    will not be expected to have all references from professors in their major field, but can have a mix of faculty or others who know them well and can refer to their abilities/skills relative to the proposed project.
  • ETA applicants
    should request references from those who know them well. Referees may include academic instructors, academic advisers, or supervisors in teaching or tutoring situations.
  • Advanced graduate students,
    should select referees from professors in their major field and/or fields directly related to the Fulbright project. References from recent undergraduate faculty may be requested, if you are only a year or so into graduate study. Additionally, references from professional or work contacts are appropriate if the referee can speak directly and with authority to your background/skills relative to your project.
  • Applicants in creative and performing arts or professional fields
    may select referees who can address their skills/talents in the field, relative to the proposed project. However, it is also advisable to provide at least one or two academic references.

So in my case, I am under the third category, but I have just begun my graduate studies. So my three recommenders will be: my advisor in CE (who has known me for two years in undergrad), my German/honors professors (who told me about the German internship), and a faculty member in the Honors College who has worked with me in extracurricular activities and knows me outside academics. So although they are not all "directly related to the Fulbright project" they can most certainly "speak directly and with authority" about me. The CE advisor can speak to my academic background and my potential for research, as well as help expand on what my research will be. The German professor can explain my research internship, German language skills, academic background (I had her in 5+ classes), as well as my ability to function in a global working environment. Finally, the Honors faculty member can explain how I have used my time in my undergraduate years to build a holistic and global portfolio that will basically enable me to conduct successful research with the Fulbright.

Wow. That was a lot. And it actually sounded better than what I was thinking. So those are my thoughts. Advice: be very careful WHO you choose and make sure that it MAKES SENSE.

Like we keep saying, it's all about FIT. Does this recommender mesh will with what you're trying to accomplish? See, I wouldn't choose another CE prof who I don't know as well, when I have someone who has known me 4 years and can articulate more about my personality and aptitude towards research and being an "ambassador" as Fulbright likes to say it.

Hope that helps.

OH, and welcome everyone to the Fulbright thread!

Thanks for this! That's what I got out of looking at the different projects that were funded under this. But I think I'll still with regular Fulbright since I don't know if I want to get a PhD or not. Thanks, though!

Ack! Sorry for so many replies. I guess I could have done multiquote, which I just saw. Anyways, I suggest y'all sign up for IIE's webinar on the application elements. I've listened to a few, however, this one is specific to the app elements, and might be very informative. In addition, they answer questions from the audience!

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/news_events_story.php?id=943

It is most def worth 1.5 hrs for Fulbright!

Tzar, I would email someone at IIE to confirm what you need to do if you have three institutions. I know I was in contact with someone to went to Brazil and had two affiliations. Just email them. At least if something happens, you have someone official from IIE stating blah blah. Most likely, you are correct though.

Thanks! Just emailed them; hopefully they'll get back to me soon. All three of my institution affiliations have agreed to write letters, so I don't want to tell one of them that I've chosen not to apply to their school! It'd be very sad.

Thanks! Just emailed them; hopefully they'll get back to me soon. All three of my institution affiliations have agreed to write letters, so I don't want to tell one of them that I've chosen not to apply to their school! It'd be very sad.

They've written back and said that i can upload the third letter along with my other two, and mention the third institution in my essays, etc... So, yes, it's ok to apply to more than two.

Does anyone have tips on how you acquired letters of support?

Hey rachael,

Do you have institutions/universities/organizations you've already been in touch with?

Here's a brief run-down of my steps over the past month:

1. Ask around for possible connections in the country. Peruse the internet of those institutions and find faculty who have interesting/relevant research/goals/

2. Email them with who you are, what you're doing, why you're doing it, and attach the SOP and a CV or something.

3. Wait for reply. Repeat if needed (I did this because I found better connections).

4. Decide on which location is a best fit for your Fulbright application. Look at pros/cons of the city, the research, the atmosphere, etc.

5. I drafted a letter of affiliation/ support, whatever you want to call it, detailing my research plan. I sent it to the guy (just today actually) so he could add/subtract. It definitely takes a big workload off them.

And I think the next steps will be to make sure they are letterhead and his signature as a PDF. Voila!

Hmm, do you have you been in contact with a few people and are deciding which one to go with?

Hey Crimson,

How have you found the Fulbright advising at WSU? Trying to decide if I should apply through them or a different school.... Thanks.

hey mbv,

Do you go to WSU? I read further up and it said you were a vet student, so I want to assume you're at our vet school. Yes, WSU isn't THE BEST. Where did you get your undergrad?

For me, I've found the Fulbright advising pretty good. Sarah Ann Hones has good advice, but I've mostly been using my German professor who was also a Fulbrighter herself. So I may not be able to give the best advice. If you're willing to share where you got your undergrad, I might have a better opinion, albeit still biased.

How was the communication been between the two different schools, since you stated you've been in contact with both? If you are at WSU, talking in-person with Sarah on campus would be much easier. And I find in-person talks really helpful at times, although receiving edits through email is also helpful as well.

I hope that didn't further muddy the waters ...

From what I understand, email isn't used in Vietnam as much as is it here in the US. I have emailed universities (when I can find the email listed on the website) and half the time the emails bounce back. I finally got all stalker-ish and I found a Fulbrighter who went to VN and researched in education on Facebook and messaged her. She actually gave me 3 people to contact, so here's to hoping I get somewhere!

From what I understand, email isn't used in Vietnam as much as is it here in the US. I have emailed universities (when I can find the email listed on the website) and half the time the emails bounce back. I finally got all stalker-ish and I found a Fulbrighter who went to VN and researched in education on Facebook and messaged her. She actually gave me 3 people to contact, so here's to hoping I get somewhere!

Stalking is definitely the way to go. If you'd like to speed up the process, once you have some back and forth with a prospective affiliation, I'd suggest to draft a letter of support/affiliation to speed that part up, since they have to put it on letterhead, blah blah ...

Then you're almost done!

Crimson, would you be open to sharing your draft letter? Either post it here or email it to me?

hey rachael,

i'll email you my draft letter of affiliation. i don't think i'll post it here though. i will provide a general outline of what it entails ...

Dear Fulbright Committee:

1st paragraph: introduction of who I am, school, level of study

2nd paragraph: what my research is about

3rd paragraph: why the affiliation/university is the best fit

4th paragraph: conclusion