Recent GRE Experiences

For any of you who took the GRE recently (last few months), what was your experience as far as the experimental sections? Was it identified or unidentified? Did you get a second quantitative or a second verbal? Did you find it overwhelming, or that it adversely affected your concentration/mental stamina?

I'm particularly bad at math, though the last two months of intense studying have managed to get my practice scores in the 700 range. I'm worried that I'd be unprepared for the surprise and additional intensity caused by an unidentified quantitative section. If it has been common for recent test-takers to get an additional quantitative section, I'll probably just start adding another quantitative section to my practice sessions.

Second, did you find the difficulty/structure of the quantitative section to be comparable to the Powerprep? I have heard mixed accounts of the actual GRE quantitative questions being more "tricky" or convoluted. If this is the case, which test prep company offered more representative questions? I've been studying from Kaplan, Barron's and the Powerprep software.

I'm taking the GRE in two and a half weeks, and just trying to fine tune to the actual GRE and correct minor performance issues.

Thanks in advance!

My experimental section came up at the end of my exam and was clearly identified as a second quantitative that would not count toward my score. I was bleary-eyed and exhausted by that time, but since ETS actually offered a cash incentive to the highest scorers on that section (yes, seriously - I believe it was $250), I gave it a shot. There were a lot of numeric entry-type questions (the ones that'll appear on the new GRE) plus some other kinds - unfortunately, I don't remember what those were.

I studied exclusively from the Powerprep software because based on my and others' experience, it gives you the most accurate predictions of your score. The software has 2 full-length tests and they're computer adaptive, so as your test-taking ability improves, you'll get a slightly different set of questions every time you take them. But taking them too often will familiarize you with the questions, which could lull you into a false sense of security. I took the real GRE twice and both times, I panicked on the quant and completely guessed on the last 10 questions - something Powerprep didn't prepare me for! 

Do a search for all of the GRE-related techniques.  Guessing on the last 10 questions is not a bad thing, provided you got the first 10 questions right. My extra session was verbal, but I took it in January 2009.

Right, I forgot to mention that my quant score still turned out ok in the end. Didn't mean to scare the OP there! I just didn't expect the perceived trickiness/convolutedness  :)

My experimental section was Analytical Writing and it was clearly marked at the end. Left it blank, was in no mood to write another piece of BS.

For any of you who took the GRE recently (last few months), what was your experience as far as the experimental sections? Was it identified or unidentified? Did you get a second quantitative or a second verbal? Did you find it overwhelming, or that it adversely affected your concentration/mental stamina?

I'm particularly bad at math, though the last two months of intense studying have managed to get my practice scores in the 700 range. I'm worried that I'd be unprepared for the surprise and additional intensity caused by an unidentified quantitative section. If it has been common for recent test-takers to get an additional quantitative section, I'll probably just start adding another quantitative section to my practice sessions.

Second, did you find the difficulty/structure of the quantitative section to be comparable to the Powerprep? I have heard mixed accounts of the actual GRE quantitative questions being more "tricky" or convoluted. If this is the case, which test prep company offered more representative questions? I've been studying from Kaplan, Barron's and the Powerprep software.

I'm taking the GRE in two and a half weeks, and just trying to fine tune to the actual GRE and correct minor performance issues.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I just took it today, and my section was an identified quant section at the end. I was ready to be done, so I didn't even look at it. It just said it was 18 questions in 30 minutes.

I took the GRE last week and got a second identified quantitative experimental section. It was the last section of my test and was very different from the usual quantitative questions and included an onboard calculator for some questions. They looked like questions that would be on the upcoming Revised GRE test in 2011.

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's nice that they changed this.

When I took it a bit over a year ago, the experimental section was not identified (to encourage uniform effort), and was not always last.

I ended up with my experimental quant section before my "real" quant section. I was finally able to guess because of the question types I hadn't seen before.

My experimental section came up at the end of my exam and was clearly identified as a second quantitative that would not count toward my score. I was bleary-eyed and exhausted by that time, but since ETS actually offered a cash incentive to the highest scorers on that section (yes, seriously - I believe it was $250), I gave it a shot.

The same came up for me, but after over 3 hours, I couldn't be bothered with 30 more math questions for no reason, especially since I would have had no prayer at getting a "highest score." I just exited the section and left.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an identified verbal section last weekend. Two of my friends also had identified experimental sections. It seems (but don't take my word for it) that the ETS has phased out unidentified experimental sections. I'm guessing that because the test format is changing so drastically next year, they don't really need to continue testing questions within the current format.

I got an identified verbal section last weekend. Two of my friends also had identified experimental sections. It seems (but don't take my word for it) that the ETS has phased out unidentified experimental sections. I'm guessing that because the test format is changing so drastically next year, they don't really need to continue testing questions within the current format.

I just took the gre this afternoon and the 3rd section was clearly identified as experimental and was an essay. I agree with csquare, they probably phased out unidentified sections entirely which I feel is a great relief for current test takers. Best of luck to those taking it soon.

I was wondering the same thing, I took my GRE today and before going into the test I was told that it was unidentifiable so I should just try my best on all sections.. but I received notification at the end my test, and it was also a quantitative section too. You can easily opted out of it if you choose so.

Mine was an identified verbal section. I skipped it, but I did glance at the first question. It was a sentence completion question, with ticky boxes instead of buttons. The directions said to pick TWO words that could fit in the blank. Tricky...

If you go online and download Powerprep II, you'll find that about half of the verbal questions are like that. (PPII is of course for the NEW GRE, starting in Aug 2011). Some of the questions on PP-II have three blanks. There are also many more reading comprehension questions; and somewhat more difficult readings.

The math section of PP-II has fill-in-the-blanks but otherwise seemed to be of the same general difficulty as the old Powerprep --- except of course that you can't use "process of elimiation" as an aid -- you have to work out the problems :(

John

If you go online and download Powerprep II, you'll find that about half of the verbal questions are like that. (PPII is of course for the NEW GRE, starting in Aug 2011). Some of the questions on PP-II have three blanks. There are also many more reading comprehension questions; and somewhat more difficult readings.

The math section of PP-II has fill-in-the-blanks but otherwise seemed to be of the same general difficulty as the old Powerprep --- except of course that you can't use "process of elimiation" as an aid -- you have to work out the problems :(

I find that scary! POE is such a useful tool when taking any standardized test. I'm glad I'm done with the GRE for good :)

FWIW, I took the GREs in June and had an identified AW section, which I only gave half an effort as it was at the very end and I was not thrilled to write a new essay. It was also of the new question type (or one of) being featured on the new exam. Wonder if anyone ever actually wins the $250?