UCLA anyone?

explorer

I'll be attending their school of Public Health next fall. Congrats fellow future Bruin! This was my first choice to I accepted immediately.

I have a question though, its been awhile since I've been in college. I did my SIR and the SLR thingy, now what? Am I waiting for a packet inthe mail to tell me when to pay and when to register? Have you heard anything from them after you accepted admission? MAybe its different for you becuase you'll be a phd student...

Hey Congrats to you too! Well I received a letter from them with a form for acceptance. I signed the acceptance while I visited the campus (loved the place :)! ) . Now waiting for the rest of the details which are expected in July. The PhD is funded so have no idea about the payment procedure etc.

Where do you plan to stay there? Do you have seperate housing for the school of public health?

Hey Congrats to you too! Well I received a letter from them with a form for acceptance. I signed the acceptance while I visited the campus (loved the place :)! ) . Now waiting for the rest of the details which are expected in July. The PhD is funded so have no idea about the payment procedure etc.

Where do you plan to stay there? Do you have seperate housing for the school of public health?

I don't know if they have separate housing I just figured it was under the graduate umbrella. I sort of planned on living far off campus somewhere, maybe culver city. I'm 28, so I'm not sure anywhere remotely close to campus will be a good living situation. All those undergrads snickering at my antiquated style of dress would be too much for me to handle.

I'm going to be going to UCLA in the fall to get my PhD in social psychology. Are you guys going to try to do Weyburn Terrace? I really wanted to get my own apartment for the first year and then get an apartment with roommates that I actually know for the subsequent years (instead of living with a total stranger in Weyburn). But since it was going to cost me $1500/month for a studio, I decided I couldn't really pass up the $900 including utilities thing at Weyburn.

I'll be attending UCLA this fall for PhD. I'm planning to stay in Weyburn too... anyone know how difficult it is to get a studio there?

Not sure about studios specifically but I believe all new grad students are guaranteed housing in Weyburn. Sorry if you already knew that.

Not sure about studios specifically but I believe all new grad students are guaranteed housing in Weyburn. Sorry if you already knew that.

Yep, I was wondering particularly about the studios, and if it's done by a lottery of some sort. Thanks though!

I'm going to be entering the Italian department in September. I applied for grad housing, but my preference was Keystone. I really like the gym feature. I want a studio or whatever - small - but I need my own space. Anyone planning on looking for outside housing as well?

how much aid are you guys getting...

i got a mail on 26th March saying that I would be given $15,667.59 MAE Graduate Student Researcher Stipend.

$ 5,463.60 salary as a Teaching Assistant for one quarter. Also they said that I would be given $7K during the summer. It was also stated in the email that I would be guaranteed a spot for housing. I have been hearing that LA is a very costly place to live in. Do you think the above funding is sufficient?

dibyadeep

Hi

I will go to UCLA for Electrical engineering, PhD. I got a RA position and guarantee housing. Is it true that all graduate guarantee housing is in Weyburn? I wish I could have a studio or single bed apartment. I would like Rose avenue if I am offered one. (I heard that it is a long wait list for these university apartments.) Read a lot about LA, I know the rental is extremely expensive and it is recommended to get a car there or else you can hardly go anywhere around LA.

tuckie

Hi everybody!

I'm also have been accepted to CS PhD program for Fall 2008 + RA + guarantied housing slot at Weyburn Terrace.

Does anybody know when we receive hosing offers (maybe somebody can share their previous years experience)?

Alex

Hey everyone,

Formally accepted my offer from UCLA yesterday! I'll be in the PhD history program, specifically working in medieval history. I have applied for housing and put Weyburn as my first choice, but I listed the two person setups as my top choices over the studio. Personally, as I learned when I studied abroad, having a roommate in a strange new place is generally preferable to being completely alone. Of course, I'm sure I'll be humming a new tune once I become more accustomed to LA. I know my department has 17 guaranteed spots, and I'm fairly positive I have one of them (I think it's first come first served), but I don't know any particulars beyond that. Good luck to you all!

Do you guys know when we'll hear about Weyburn? My department (social psych) has a bunch of guaranteed spots and I put my request in in March so I can't imagine I won't get a spot. I'm just curious when we'll find out for sure and when we'll find out if we got a studio or a 2 bedroom. Also, I didn't even bother to put down a back-up building...do you think this was a bad idea? The current grad students said it's a 2 year waitlist for current students to get into the other buildings, so I didn't see any reason to list any of these.

Hi,

I will be joining UCLA in Fall 2008 for the M.S in E.E program. I have been given financial aid in the form of GSR and also guaranteed housing. I am in a dilemma as to which housing option to choose. The only advantage I can see for weyburn terrace is its proximity to the campus. Otherwise, the university apartments in the south look to be equally good and cheap. I would prefer to stay with a roommate in a two bedroom apartment.

Congrats to everyone for their acceptances. I'm going to Anderson's PhD program in Human Resources & Organizational Behavior and have applied for the graduate student family housing. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

hi everybody,

I have also admitted to anderson school of management. Is there any body who have submitted his/her SIR? I have not received any email from graduate division. Is it normal? Will this delay, stop the process of issuing my I20?

many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Did you guys get your housing assignments? I got a townhouse in Weyburn (was hoping for a single, but whatever). Any idea when we'll find out about roommates? I've been out of college and living in my own one-bedroom since, so going back to living in university housing with a random roommate is going to be a huge transition.

• 1 month later...

If you look into the costs of Weyburn, it is definitely not worth it !!! They kick you out during the summer anyways, so you're missing about 2 months. It is about 11-12k to live in Weyburn for like 9-10 months. I am just going to find a place with another person I know who is going into the same program. If you plan on being there for longer than a year, I would be looking elsewhere.

On the housing website it says that specific housing information (roommate, apartment/townhouse address) will be released in mid-August. Also, the website says that Weyburn residents are allowed to sublet their apartment during the summer, which would suggest that you get to keep it for the entire year.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use