Poor Analytical writing score

humdrum

I took the GRE a few weeks ago, and got a decent score - 730V and 790Q. I opened the ETS website to see my AWA score, expecting to see a 5.0 or at least a 4.5, but got a big shock to see 3.0. I know I didn't do as well on the writing section but I cannot believe that I did this badly. I am considering going for a AWA score review but wanted to know the experience of other people first.

Does this kind of thing happen often with the writing section score? Is the review worthwhile or is it just a waste of $55?

If it doesn't work, I am considering rewriting the GRE because such a bad score in AWA will seriously undermine my application. Is it possible to rewrite just the AWA section?

Edited by humdrum

From what I know (you don't say what program you're going into), the AW score is the least important, by far.

It's graded by english graduate students. Then the grades from several are averaged.

Most schools don't take the scores that seriously, but the GRE does send your actual writing samples to the school- and that's a bit more important.

I am looking to do a PHD in compter science. I know the AWA score is not very important for non humanities courses, but im worried about the minimum AWA cutoffs at universities. Do you know of cases where a score review has resulted in a significant change? Or is it possible to retake just the Writing section?

Are you sure?

That is what I was told when I applied. I haven't verified it recently. Have you heard otherwise?

I found similar information on this site:

Who can see the essays I wrote?

If you choose to send your GRE scores to ETS, your essays will be distributed to any and all programs for which you apply.

Edited by Eigen

That is what I was told when I applied. I haven't verified it recently. Have you heard otherwise?

I found similar information on this site:

Well, I heard different opinions about it. I wonder why the official GRE website does not say anything about sending essays to all universities...

I'm not sure.

I looked and couldn't find it on the site as well.

If I have a chance, I'll ask one of our AdComm members next time I see them.

With your verbal score so high, I doubt it's worth a regrade/test redo. However, there are minimum scores for applicants to be nominated for some fellowships. For example, the University Fellowship I got at OSU has a min 4.0 writing. But those can be waived if the nominators still write in your favor. AFAIK, the score mins are not hard and fast rules.

Whatever you end up doing, your SOP is far more important.

Well, I heard different opinions about it. I wonder why the official GRE website does not say anything about sending essays to all universities...

I remember reading it on the Crack the GRE book. It mentioned somewhere that the AWA essay is made available for the schools you sent score report to. They can check out your writing if they want. But not sure if ETS sends it by default or on request.

• 3 weeks later...

I received a 3.5 on the AW with a 670V 720Q. I'll be wasting my 55$ on a rescore tomorrow. Convenient that you can pay online to sit for the test or request additional reports; however, when you request a score review, it can only be received via snail mail.

I spoke with an ETS rep today when brooding over the decision. She informed my that they do not release the essays to the schools (I guess if they did there would be no incentive for me to send in 55$). I have an MS in Biochemistry and am hoping to go back to school for a PhD in marine science. Most schools I'm looking into don't even list the average score for AW. I agree I don't think that the science programs are that concerned about it, but just in case, I'm throwing a little extra money at it.

I'll keep you posted on the results.

• 3 weeks later...

55$= same score

I received a 3.5 on the AW with a 670V 720Q. I'll be wasting my 55$ on a rescore tomorrow. Convenient that you can pay online to sit for the test or request additional reports; however, when you request a score review, it can only be received via snail mail.

I spoke with an ETS rep today when brooding over the decision. She informed my that they do not release the essays to the schools (I guess if they did there would be no incentive for me to send in 55$). I have an MS in Biochemistry and am hoping to go back to school for a PhD in marine science. Most schools I'm looking into don't even list the average score for AW. I agree I don't think that the science programs are that concerned about it, but just in case, I'm throwing a little extra money at it.

I'll keep you posted on the results.

• 3 weeks later...

I have similar case too. I got 1380 in GRE (V-580,Q-800) and was shocked to see score of 3 in analytical writing section.

I am student of engineering and planning to apply for masters (in Mechanical) in fall 2011. Please tell me importance of AWA scores for graduate application in engineering/science streams.

@ Humdrum : please tell me if you applied for review of scores and found any changes.

I can corroborate that ETS does not send AW essays to schools. I spoke with a customer service agent at ETS who assured me that the essays are confidential. I asked if this was a change in policy and she said it wasn't as far as she knows. Myth: busted.

Ok, so grad school does not receive our essays. But is there anyone or u know anyone who got their score increased after reevaluation.

Guys I need some motive to throw $ 55 for it. Please suggest

From what I've seen on this board, it generally doesn't help any. See the thread below:

Ok, so grad school does not receive our essays. But is there anyone or u know anyone who got their score increased after reevaluation.

Guys I need some motive to throw $ 55 for it. Please suggest

I honestly wouldn't bother. When I took the GRE last year, I got an 800 verbal, 740 quantitative... and 4.0 analytical writing. No one seemed to care about my writing score, even though I was going into a very writing-heavy field (Medieval Studies); really, they gauge your abilities based on your actual writing sample much more than on what the standardized tests say.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I got a score of 153V, 169Q (out of 170) and a score of 3!! in AWA . I am student of mechanical engineering and i want to apply for Masters in 2013 fall. So please tell me whether this score will be adequate especially @humdrum and @dhiral

• 1 year later...

I had a 3 AW score.  Still got into the PhD program I wanted to get into.  Verbal/Quant, GPA, LORs, Statement of Purpose, all helped minimize the AW GRE component.  It can be done

I had a 3 AW score.  Still got into the PhD program I wanted to get into.  Verbal/Quant, GPA, LORs, Statement of Purpose, all helped minimize the AW GRE component.  It can be done

I agree. The application process is quite holistic.