South Bend, IN

gradgirl

Hello, I am also moving this fall to South Bend with my wife. She will not be able to work either, due to visa.

I would like to know good places to rent. Can someone indicate any?

Thanks!!

On March 6, 2018 at 11:48 AM, biela said:

Hello, I am also moving this fall to South Bend with my wife. She will not be able to work either, due to visa.

I would like to know good places to rent. Can someone indicate any?

Thanks!!

Hi, welcome to ND! Congrats on your admission! 

As for apartments, on campus grad student housing includes Fisher and O'Hara Grace (though that one is getting torn down...next year? Or the next?)

Some technically "off campus" but within walking distance include The Overlook (pricey), The Foundry (also pricey), Stadium Club Apts, Village Terre. 

If you have a car/are willing to get a bit farther from campus: Riverside North, University Park, Runaway Bay Rentals, Williamsburg on the Lake

Let me know if I can answer any more questions! Again, welcome!

On 3/8/2018 at 3:00 AM, plugandsocket said:

As for apartments, on campus grad student housing includes Fisher and O'Hara Grace (though that one is getting torn down...next year? Or the next?)

Some technically "off campus" but within walking distance include The Overlook (pricey), The Foundry (also pricey), Stadium Club Apts, Village Terre. 

If you have a car/are willing to get a bit farther from campus: Riverside North, University Park, Runaway Bay Rentals, Williamsburg on the Lake

I was looking into VIllage Terre as my first choice, because of affordable pricing. I couldn't find any pictures of what the apartments look like inside. Do you know anyone who lived there, or maybe you've visited? Are they dingy?

3 hours ago, AnnaGG said:

I was looking into VIllage Terre as my first choice, because of affordable pricing. I couldn't find any pictures of what the apartments look like inside. Do you know anyone who lived there, or maybe you've visited? Are they dingy?

Hmmm...I've never been there or known anyone who's lived there. I looked to see if I could pictures of the inside online too, but could only find ones of the outside. Based on those pictures, I'd guess the interiors are pretty dingy/old/run down. Another apt complex I forgot to mention that's walking distance to campus is Campus Court. I hear it's pretty affordable! 

On 07/03/2018 at 10:00 PM, plugandsocket said:

Hi, thank you!!

I actually was looking into the University Park, I really liked them.

The price is affordable and looks nice to me. Do you know the place?

About the car, I plan to buy one, so the distance will be an issue only in the first days.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello everyone!  I'm considering South Bend for graduate studies. I've been out of the USA for a while so need some updated advice. Can anyone tell me how much it costs yearly to rent a new car and pay the insurance? Are there typically any other costs I should be concerned about? Is buying a used car cheaper? Something simple, like a Toyota Corolla...

Thanks!

Edited by theofan

Theofan, If you are truly keen to rent a car for a year you can do that. car rental places like enterprise or budget can do month-to-month rentals and a credit card should cover the insurance for rental. The price will vary widely and will also depend on what kind of car you get. But you can figure all that out on their websites. Buying a used car can be a good idea if you don’t mind spending some time, and have a good sense of what you want.  I don’t know much about the local vendors but Jordan Ford in Mishawaka has a reputation as an honest dealer. YMMV, as they say.

It’s worth considering whether or not you need one. Uber and Lyft are all over the campus area and south bend, and the cost is low. There are zipcars available to rent on campus. And the local car rental places will bring a car to you if you want to rent one for a few days.  I know a lot of graduate students who get along just fine without a vehicle. In fact, many professors do. There is plenty of shopping within walking distance of campus, and a vast amount of good housing.

Edited by Pepé Le Pew

1 hour ago, Pepé Le Pew said:

Theofan, If you are truly keen to rent a car for a year you can do that. car rental places like enterprise or budget can do month-to-month rentals and a credit card should cover the insurance for rental. The price will vary widely and will also depend on what kind of car you get. But you can figure all that out on their websites. Buying a used car can be a good idea if you don’t mind spending some time, and have a good sense of what you want.  I don’t know much about the local vendors but Jordan Ford in Mishawaka has a reputation as an honest dealer. YMMV, as they say.

It’s worth considering whether or not you need one. Uber and Lyft are all over the campus area and south bend, and the cost is low. There are zipcars available to rent on campus. And the local car rental places will bring a car to you if you want to rent one for a few days.  I know a lot of graduate students who get along just fine without a vehicle. In fact, many professors do. There is plenty of shopping within walking distance of campus, and a vast amount of good housing.

Thanks, that is great advice! 

I've been looking at a nice apartment that is walking distance to campus and a grocery store, so I think I could do without a car. I would just need to take a little road trip every two months or so to visit friends and family, but if the rental company will bring a car to me, that's fantastic. The zipcar service also looks great. And I also have two friends at ND who both own cars and probably wouldn't mind me giving me a ride here and there.

Thanks again!

Edited by theofan
add info

• Warelin changed the title to South Bend, IN