How many schools are you applying to?

amy.

How do you guys have the energy to apply to so many schools? 1 dream, 1 reach, 1 safety for me...

I know what you mean... the application work been the equivalent of taking another 3 credit class. I was advised to apply to approx. 10 schools just to be safe, but if I'm honest, there's only four that I REALLY want to go to and another 2 to which I would happily go.

Cost is a huge factor for me, so I'm only applying to five schools. One in Canada. Four in the U.S. Three are Ph.D programs, two are MA programss. My research interests and geographic needs have narrowed the field considerably. If I don't get in this year, I'll work on my language skills and reapply. My thesis advisor expects that five is enough however.

Good luck to everyone on their apps, especially those working on 10+. I'm stressed out enough with only five to worry about!

10 schools here; 7 in the U.S., 1 in the U.K. and 2 in Europe.

I'm not really sure what a 'dream' school would look like, as anybody can get in anywhere if they are the right fit at the right time. There's a highly stochastic element in this process, so I think the more places you apply the better off you will be. What's an extra few hundred dollars in 5 years?

I'm concerned about this too, but you have to remember that most of the LORs will be very similar. Chances are the profs will have to fill out a simple form for each school, rating your strengths in various areas and then upload the LOR (which can practically be re-used for most schools). I'm planning on asking 4 profs/lecturers to do LORs for me, so they wouldn't each have 10 LORs to submit.

I'm applying to 11 English PhD programs, and I would say they are all basically "fit" schools, not really dream schools or safety. I feel like it is almost impossible to qualify PhD programs as such, since the numbers (GRE scores, GPA) carry so little weight in the admission decision. If it was just based on numbers, I guess I would have one school that might be considered a safety, and the rest good fits, but it really depends on how they feel about my SOP and writing sample. It is a lot of money, but I graduated last year and am teaching full time now, so I don't have to try to do it on a college student's budget.

As for LORs, I would recommend just asking the three professors who you think will write the best letter. The majority of their time is spent writing the letter itself, and it is not too much more work for them to send that letter to 10 or 11 schools. Therefore, you actually create more total work by asking four professors to write letters for you if you only need three. Plus, it's complicated to figure out which profs will write for which schools. I would recommend just asking the three you feel most strongly about; if you have done research with a professor or an honors thesis or something, definitely ask that professor to write for you. Otherwise, just pick the ones you think will write the most glowing praise of you.

When I applied to MS programs, I applied to 2 programs (my selection criteria were "local," "allows part-time degree students," and "has a thesis option for MS students").

Next year when I apply to PhD programs, I'm planning to apply to 10 programs (at 9 schools) and 10 or so fellowships. Of those, 5 would be shots in the dark (top 20 programs), 4 would be (I hope) "fit" programs, and the remaining one would be the closest thing that, with my undergrad GPA, I have to a safety. Of course, my list of places to apply could change by next year.

I got like 14 schools I'm looking at. That's just my preliminary list, and with a bit more research and counsel from some professor's who know these top programs in my area, I should be able to bring that list to roughly around 10, hopefully a little less. But I would like to shoot for 4-5 top/dream schools, 2-3 good schools, and 2-3 back ups.

WoW looking at everyone's list...I feel..like, "huh?" because I'm only applying to three schools and all of them are MA programs. The big factor for me is location. My field is International Comparative Education.

...blink...blink..blink...Should I broaden my list?

...lil bit scared now. :unsure:

WoW looking at everyone's list...I feel..like, "huh?" because I'm only applying to three schools and all of them are MA programs. The big factor for me is location. My field is International Comparative Education.

...blink...blink..blink...Should I broaden my list?

...lil bit scared now. :unsure:

I wouldn't worry about it. I think a lot of people on these boards apply to a high number of programs, but that doesn't mean everyone should. It's something only you can determine for yourself, and what works for one person may not be a great idea for another. For example, I applied to 7 programs last year, and didn't get into a single one. Looking back, there were only three that were good fits and that I would actually really want to go to. My research focus is pretty narrow, so I should have be more discriminating last year and I regret the money/time I spent on so many apps. So, this year, I'm only apply to three programs, and I'm completely comfortable with that decision. It may mean I have less of a chance of getting an acceptance, but I have to be honest with myself about where I would be happy. Remember, as contrary to some of our personalities as this may seem, you're allowed to be selfish and egocentric in this process, applying to grad school is about you and no one else.

I'm applying to 4 or 5 schools; I haven't finalized a couple. Originally, I was going to apply to more like 7-9, but I have since decided that rather than spend all the money on that and maximize chances or what not, it made more sense to go for the complete best fits and disregard the rest & use the extra time/funds to work on things to improve my application for the next year/resume in general if I do/do not get in!

• 1 month later...

applying to 7 programs in the US, all PhDs. cost me a swell ~650$, including the gre cost. three are my top choice, two middle and two meh. there are no 'backup' programs per se, as all programs are great at what they do. i'll happily go to any program, anytime.

now just gotta wait till mid january!

6 in the US of which 2 are in the top 5 in the country for my subject, 1 in the top 10 and the rest in the top 20. I'd be happy to go to any of them. Don't know how much I spent in $s but have been keeping track of my application spending in British pounds. Luckily my dad agreed to halp me pay the costs (he's paying half! :D )

Ps:- I've also got 1 in the UK, 1 in Europe and 1 in Singapore

Edited by alleycat393

I am so happy to have found this thread!! I am applying to 12 schools, a list that was cut down from an original 22. Most of my friends still think I am insane. But I am just hoping to get in somewhere moderately close to where I live now, hopefully to maintain residency in PA. All of them are reach schools because my undergrad GPA was 2.7 before I worked for 3 years and took Speech Pathology prerequs (bringing it up to 3.0ish overall). I can't guarantee on getting in anywhere. But I have a few schools off the East Coast that sound a bit less competitive that I plan to apply to next year if nowhere accepts me this time around!!

I'm applying to 6 schools...like the above poster, I'm in speech-language pathology. Two are Top 10 schools, two are Top 25, and two are...low. Not that I'm taking too much stock in rankings, as I'm looking more for personal fit and relevance to my clinical/research interests.

I originally had 10 now I'm down to 6 schools. They're all top of my field so not getting in anywhere is COMPLETELY a possibility. However, I'm not into doing the whole "I'll get a phd anywhere" theory so if it takes another year, so be it. Hopefully it doesn't.

Edited by warpspeed

Applied to 5 schools last fall,didn't go anywhere. Applying to 10 schools in the US- 3 stretch,4 reach,3 safe and 1 school in the UK.Its gonna be a little rough on my pocket,but I'll be doubly happy if I get into the stretch(requires a miracle) or the reach school!

I'm applying to 7 programs - one is an interdisciplinary program that I decided "what the heck" on Sunday. I really couldn't say what my chances are at these places, though two are Ivies (so...hard to get into?) and the others are all very strong in both my field and in the things I want to study. Except for one school that I'm meh about, it would be really tough to pick between the programs. I will probably use the same strategy I did in undergrad: see where I get the best financial deal and make that my choice. It worked out great for me then.

Finished my applications, applied to 6 Ph.D programs in the States, and will probably apply to a few in Europe (France, maybe Germany) if I'm not accepted. Only applied to 'dream' schools. Need a school that can offer full-funding.

Would have liked to apply to 2-3 more but it got WAY too expensive. Cost me 100$ just to FedEx 3 transcripts. Thankfully the other schools used scanning uploads or I wouldve had to take another school off the list haha.

Now of course I'm convinced Ive made some HUGE, GLARING mistake on all of my applications that will cause me to be immediately rejected. unsure.gif

You all have a lot of energy to apply to so many schools, as others have said!

I am applying to two PhD programs. This has been the source of a lot of anxiety but there are only two schools that will support me in my (albeit narrow) interests. I agree with those above who don't follow the "I will get a PhD anywhere" philosophy. To me, it seems that the education you get during a PhD program is as important (if not more important) than the degree itself. I am also keeping in mind that I will be spending the next couple of years of my life in this program (and will likely be turning 30 there), so I am not applying places just to "get in." (not to suggest that this is what people applying to 10+ are doing...)

Somebody very wise once told me that hell is not being rejected from all of your grad schools. Hell is only getting into the ones you don't want to go to.

Good luck to everybody!

I'm applying to 7, including the university I'm currently at for my MA. I wouldn't mind staying, but I also wouldn't mind getting into a prestigious program. So I'm trying to cover my bases.

It does get expensive, though. One school offered to waive the registration fee as long as the online application was submitted by November 15 (supporting documents and recommendations had to be in by the regular deadline a month later). I wish more schools had this policy!

I am applying to two PhD programs. This has been the source of a lot of anxiety but there are only two schools that will support me in my (albeit narrow) interests. I agree with those above who don't follow the "I will get a PhD anywhere" philosophy. To me, it seems that the education you get during a PhD program is as important (if not more important) than the degree itself. I am also keeping in mind that I will be spending the next couple of years of my life in this program (and will likely be turning 30 there), so I am not applying places just to "get in." (not to suggest that this is what people applying to 10+ are doing...)

Somebody very wise once told me that hell is not being rejected from all of your grad schools. Hell is only getting into the ones you don't want to go to.

Good luck to everybody!

I'm applying to 10 programs and I have pretty narrow interests. I know what I want to study but there are different approaches to studying it that are being done at different universities. All of my POIs are interrelated - this person did a post-doc with that person and this other person collaborates with them both, etc. The main reason I applied to so many is because I know I could be happy with the research being conducted at each of these schools but I don't know how I will feel about the school/POI/current grad students, etc. all the things that will make me happy/content/frustrated/depressed over the next 5 years. I will get a PhD in any location - that doesn't matter that much to me as I will be again moving on for post-doc/professorship somewhere else - but I won't get a PhD in any department or with any advisor. I need to interview them as they are interviewing me. I am truly excited about each of the schools but I have reservations about each one:

The new assistant professor who authors some of the most interesting research out there in my sub-field is perfect, except that he's a new professor and hasn't mentored students before - is the department culture one of each advisor 'owning' their students or is it more collaborative and not strange for me to have multiple mentoring relationships going on, preferably with some profs who have successfully graduated some academics.

The professor awesomeness who is one of the basic names in my sub-field who has an active lab with multiple post-docs and multiple grad students is also pretty perfect but does he spend most of his time mentoring post-docs with the post-docs mentoring the grad students? How much face-time/attention will I get with this guy?

The team of professors at University X who team advise students sounds pretty cool also, but would I need to stay at the intersection of their work or gravitate toward one or the other when I want to go in direction 3?

The interpersonal dynamics are a huge part of getting the education and mentorship I want.

Additionally, being offered a fellowship or RA position will sway me - having more time to do research over grading homework will set me up considerably better for the job market (presuming it results in more publications). I will have more of a chance at getting one of these positions by applying diversely.

Finally, in my own department I saw the politics of funding being played out last year. They invited 10 students to visit for 5 slots. My advisor fought hard for a student she was particularly interested in but she already has a phd student and a masters student while there were faculty with no students. She didn't get a grant that she had applied for so the awesome, well-fitting applicant was rejected when they may have been accepted in another year. I don't know what kinds of politics will be going on but with the current economy those sorts of issues may be happening at more places than in the past.

Anyway, I know that the above poster was careful not to suggest that people with lots of applications are trying to just get in somewhere but I thought I would give a rational for so many programs that involved not just trying to get in somewhere. I was careful while choosing schools to look at each school independently and ask myself "Would you go here if it was the only school you got into?" If the answer was not yes I didn't waste the money. So I'm not embarrassed by the number of programs - I was actually told I was crazy to be applying to so few when I had my list at 6 schools.

Good luck to everybody!

That is .. a fabulous quote.

I had the same philosophy .... first, I couldn't afford to apply to a bunch of schools, and second, I only want to spend my time & money at a place that I feel is truly worth it. If I'm not accepted to any (which is a huge possibility), I'll apply to programs that I like in Europe. Truth is, I'm on the fence about moving back to the States & I think my being accepted or not will be Fate telling me what's the best move.