How many schools are you applying to?

amy.

I applied to 11 Ph.D programs and 3 MA programs. I received application fee waivers for 12/14. :) I applied to many schools throughout the country because I found a lot of great departments and in light of the fee waivers it became financially feasible to apply to all of these universities.

Cheers!

I am applying to 8. A few of those are at the top in the field while the others aren't too far behind. I limited my region because I like where I live now and am happiest here with social and familial network to fall back on. I'm worried that I don't have a plan B. However, many of the schools offer the conciliatory Master's offer with the potential for funding. I'd hope with my research experience I'll get in to a couple of those programs and not have to exercise the former.

The only other thing that worries me is there are departments doing work I am interested in, but I'm really interested with working with one member and not several. I didn't find a way in my SoP to artfully imply if Professor X doesn't have cash I'd like to work with Professor Y.

Absolutely true... I found that my Jamaican professor enjoyed a really nice bottle of rum (the Ron Zacapa 23, http://en.wikipedia....capa_Centenario ) and I gave another one a nice bottle of champagne. Looks like it's a good thing I did that since I'm now applying for PhDs and they've agreed to write letters again.

You are genius. But the question is whether they gave you a strong recommendation? That is the reason for you to apply again?

Just going for the three US (PhD) programmes, all exceptional schools and so quite unlikely to come off - though I have no doubt where I'd go if I got multiple offers. I got into this whole application process a little late, not realising the earlier deadlines in America. I think chances are I'll do an MA here in England - yet to decide exactly where, apart from Oxford - and use everything I've learned this year to do it all again next autumn. I've really learned the value of fit - as much as I wanted to be in New York and as good as Columbia is for modern US history, I just could not find anything to write for that part of my SOP at all. I've certainly made a great reading list for the next few months from trawling so many faculty profiles - and I'm sure that'll set me in good stead if it comes to reapplying.

I've certainly made a great reading list for the next few months from trawling so many faculty profiles - and I'm sure that'll set me in good stead if it comes to reapplying.

Definitely. Many of the items on my Christmas list are of books by potential advisors. I figure, even if I don't get in this year, I will be really well informed about my field next year.

• 2 weeks later...

7 PhD programs - 5 schools - really hard to guess how many I can get into as my Master's admission was a special case itself. Also being an international student does not help me to predict. I had some good talks on my school , but I have not written to any other professors of these programs. Did you write to prospective advisors in all programs you are applying?