Fall 2011

fadoesaudade

Anyone hear from Northwestern yet? My status still says "an admissions decision has not yet been rendered".

A couple friends of mine got acceptances there several weeks ago. The open house was this past weekend. Sorry. It's possible you're wait-listed or something though.

wow! this is a great thread! i don't know why i just found out about it. everyone in here is so smart x_x. my stats aren't that great but i'm just hoping and waiting. i applied to umass boston and teachers college at columbia for their applied linguistics programs. yeah, only two, i know =/ but these are the schools i really want to go to. i didn't bother applying to schools i knew i wouldn't go to even if i got accepted. i see that some people have already been accepted! congratulations to you guys! :) i wish you all the luck wherever you may be going. soon it's my turn to hear back... SO NERVOUS!

In other news, waitlisted by UMass. Meh.

sorry to hear that you were waitlisted =/ but is this for boston? amherst?

Hello everyone,

I have not been active in the boards, but I have been following them. I thought it would be my duty to deliver you some unfortunate news.. Although I cannot be absolutely certain of hopefulapplicant's identity, I was also in attendance at the ucsd open house. Unfortunately, on the drive back home Friday night, she was involved in a serious car accident and passed away at the hospital. This was extremely shocking to hear, as she had such a bright future ahead of her and was an amazing person. Obviously I have not known her for a long time, but from meeting her, I could tell what a great person she was, and it is extremely painful for me to hear this news.

I thought everyone here also deserved to know, as she appeared to be pretty active in the forums, and I'm sure you all valued her friendship.

Once again, I cannot absolutely confirm her identity, but based on her acceptances and meeting her, I am almost certain that this is her.

I'm sorry to deliver such horrible news, but I thought it would be fair to share it, as I'm sure you are all wondering why she has not been active in the last few days.

Hello everyone,

I have not been active in the boards, but I have been following them. I thought it would be my duty to deliver you some unfortunate news.. Although I cannot be absolutely certain of hopefulapplicant's identity, I was also in attendance at the ucsd open house. Unfortunately, on the drive back home Friday night, she was involved in a serious car accident and passed away at the hospital. This was extremely shocking to hear, as she had such a bright future ahead of her and was an amazing person. Obviously I have not known her for a long time, but from meeting her, I could tell what a great person she was, and it is extremely painful for me to hear this news.

I thought everyone here also deserved to know, as she appeared to be pretty active in the forums, and I'm sure you all valued her friendship.

Once again, I cannot absolutely confirm her identity, but based on her acceptances and meeting her, I am almost certain that this is her.

I'm sorry to deliver such horrible news, but I thought it would be fair to share it, as I'm sure you are all wondering why she has not been active in the last few days.

avitamin, how did you hear such news????

avitamin, how did you hear such news????

The linguistics department informed us prospective students today, since they knew that we got to know her and create friendships with her. It is such devastating and shocking news. :( I'm very sorry to have to deliver it here.

Hello everyone,

it's so shocking and unbelievable.... i am sad to hear it...

It is too shocking to be true!!! I am so sorry about that.

Hello everyone,

Hello everyone,

That is just awful! I'm so sorry. Thanks for letting us know.

(I'm going to try not to spiral into self-blame here, but to be honest, I can't stop dwelling on the fact that I was the one who mentioned that San Diego is difficult to get around without a car.)

That's absolutely not your fault.

I'm still hoping this is not true...just too difficult for me to accept it.

That is just awful! I'm so sorry. Thanks for letting us know.

(I'm going to try not to spiral into self-blame here, but to be honest, I can't stop dwelling on the fact that I was the one who mentioned that San Diego is difficult to get around without a car.)

That's absolutely not your fault.

I'm still hoping this is not true...just too difficult for me to accept it.

Thanks so much. On some level I do realise that, and I think I'm going to be all right. It's just, yeah, a terrible shock.

It all does speak to how special the community here is, though. I mean, heck, even though we don't even know each other's names (as well as ages and genders in many cases), we've come to care about one another a lot.

Hello everyone,

What an outrageous tragedy.... My heart goes out to her friends and family.

Hello everyone,

That's really sad news! sad.gif

Rest in peace.

Hello everyone,

That is terrible news... my condolences to her friends and family.

It all does speak to how special the community here is, though. I mean, heck, even though we don't even know each other's names (as well as ages and genders in many cases), we've come to care about one another a lot.

It's true, I feel like we've lost a friend. And seriously psycholinguist, don't blame yourself, you were just trying to be helpful and saying what anyone else would say to someone who was going to San Diego for the first time.

My condolences to her family and friends as well ...

It's true, I feel like we've lost a friend. And seriously psycholinguist, don't blame yourself, you were just trying to be helpful and saying what anyone else would say to someone who was going to San Diego for the first time.

My condolences to her family and friends as well ...

Thank you! I'm feeling much more rational today. I think it's just natural in the wake of awful events such as this to wonder how we could have helped prevent them, which unfortunately often leads to the temptation to think, 'Well, if I hadn't done X or Y, then this never would have happened'.

ugh .. think I'm giving up. Doesn't look like I'm getting accepted this year.

Don't be distressed! It is just the end of February! Some schools do not release their decisions till March or even April.

I did not hear anything yet from the school I applied to, but I am trying to stay calm. Waiting is terrible, I know. But there is nothing we can do about it.

ugh .. think I'm giving up. Doesn't look like I'm getting accepted this year.

Exactly, don't give up! Last year I didn't get my first notification until February 25th (a reject, compensated by an admit to my current program the following day rolleyes.gif) and had to wait for almost a month to start hearing from the other schools. So hang in there, there is still hope. smile.gif

Don't be distressed! It is just the end of February! Some schools do not release their decisions till March or even April.

I did not hear anything yet from the school I applied to, but I am trying to stay calm. Waiting is terrible, I know. But there is nothing we can do about it.

Exactly, don't give up! Last year I didn't get my first notification until February 25th (a reject, compensated by an admit to my current program the following day rolleyes.gif) and had to wait for almost a month to start hearing from the other schools. So hang in there, there is still hope. smile.gif

aw thanks guys, this was too sweet :)

received my second rejection last night, and it was to one of the programs I was really excited about. 3 other schools havent sent me formal rejections but I know they already had their open houses so ... that's not looking so good. And my last option, my dream school, is such a far reach that my chances of being selected out of all the other, more experienced applicants is slim to none ... but I'm still holding out hope sad.gif

hope everything is going well for you guys!!!