Fall 2011

fadoesaudade

Anyone else applying for fall 2011? As we labor to write our Statements of Purpose and craft our lists, I thought it might be helpful to compare interests and schools. Where are you applying and why?

I'm a senior at a large public university. I will be graduating in December, so I'll finish college just as apps are due. I'm interested in writing systems and comparative syntax, with a focus on language documentation and language universals--So I looking for programs with a strong theoretical orientation and a faculty supportive of independent, student-led research. I'm interested in Middle Eastern and indigenous American languages in particular. So far, my list is long and varied, although I hope to narrow the search over the next couple of weeks. Namely, I'm considering USC, UCLA, Cal Berkeley, Stanford, UCSD, U Hawaii, U Chicago, and Rutgers. And yes, I do have a California bias. :)

Any advice from the veterans? Any other applicants excited about the process? Let's dish!

• 1 month later...

I graduated in May with a degree in honors mathematics (algebra concentration) and French from a state school, and I'm applying to a ton of places because a combination of a bad economy and small programs makes me worry I won't get in! :) I'm mainly interested in syntax, syntactical theory, and morphology (all that good mathy stuff :D).

GPA: 3.81/4.00

GRE: 640V, 800Q, 5.0 AW

Three or four letters of recommendation

No real research experience or conferences

Schools I'm considering:

• University of Washington, Seattle
  • University of Colorado, Boulder
  • McGill University
  • University of Connecticut
  • University of Delaware
  • University of Massachusetts, Amherst
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • University of Maryland
  • Georgetown University
  • Michigan State University
  • University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
  • New York University

(I have an above-the-Mason-Dixon-line preference, myself, haha.)

Anyone else applying for fall 2011? As we labor to write our Statements of Purpose and craft our lists, I thought it might be helpful to compare interests and schools. Where are you applying and why?

I'm a senior at a large public university. I will be graduating in December, so I'll finish college just as apps are due. I'm interested in writing systems and comparative syntax, with a focus on language documentation and language universals--So I looking for programs with a strong theoretical orientation and a faculty supportive of independent, student-led research. I'm interested in Middle Eastern and indigenous American languages in particular. So far, my list is long and varied, although I hope to narrow the search over the next couple of weeks. Namely, I'm considering USC, UCLA, Cal Berkeley, Stanford, UCSD, U Hawaii, U Chicago, and Rutgers. And yes, I do have a California bias. :)

Any advice from the veterans? Any other applicants excited about the process? Let's dish!

Hi fadoesaudade, I'm a second year in grad school and I saw your post. Here's my advice:

It can be hard to find a school where you can do both theoretical syntax and descriptive linguistics. I know because I was in the same boat as you and had/have VERY similar research interests. If you go to a strongly theoretical school, they often (but not always) have less emphasis on descriptive linguistics (although I think UCLA would be an exception). Likewise if you go to a school that really emphasizes experimental/descriptive work, their theoretical side might not be as strong. To maximize your acceptance rate, I would suggest picking one or the other for most of the schools you list. USC would favor theory; UCSD and Manoa would favor descriptive work. I think Berkeley would lean more on the descriptive/cognitive side. UCLA has descriptive linguists, but I think they tend to favor applicants interested in theory. I went to UC Santa Cruz for undergrad and loved their department, so you might also consider applying there (also in California!).

Maybe you already know all of this, so in that case ignore me. I just remember when I was applying I think my application came off as a little schizophrenic because I wanted to do both field work and theoretical syntax.

Hi,

I am a newcomer. I am international student, now studying in the States and I will apply for fall 2011 applied linguistics PhD study.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a senior at an unknown small liberal arts college, graduating in December. I majored in English lit, but my interests have shifted from literature to language (my school doesn't offer a linguistics major or even a minor, though we do have a few linguistics courses offered periodically). Although I'm primarily interested in applied linguistics and teaching ESL/EFL, I'm interested in programs which provide a solid grounding in theoretical linguistics in addition to more practical training in methodology and classroom management.

Stats

Major: English lit

Minors: Spanish, philosophy

GPA: 4.0

GRE: 710V, 690Q, 5.5AW

One regional conference presentation on writing center theory

Teaching experience: TA for a world lit class, TA for a composition theory class, and TA for an ESL grammar class. Also completed the Cambridge CELTA in Budapest.

The writing sample, unfortunately, will be a critical essay on Macbeth, since I haven't had the opportunity to do any real work in linguistics yet. My letters of recommendation should be strong (two are from faculty members I TA'd for).

I'm applying to Purdue (MA English, ESL concentration), UIUC (MA TESL), and possibly Pittsburgh (MA Linguistics, Applied Linguistics concentration) and Georgia (MA Linguistics, SLA concentration) as well. Just in case, I plan to find one or two rhet/comp programs as backups.

Edited by arthad

Ugh, I'm not excited, I'm terrified!

Theoretical syntax is what I like most. :) I'm applying to University of Connecticut, University of Maryland, University of Michigan and UC Santa Cruz.

Seems like Deus ex machina and I like the same schools. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Double major: Linguistics and Mathematical Economics

Double minor: Mathematics and Cognitive Science

Cumulative GPA: 3.7

Linguistics GPA: 4.0

GREs: 620V/800Q/?W (pending)

Honors thesis: On the Typology of Coordinative Compounds

Undergraduate Linguistics Club President

I'm applying to MIT, UCSC, UCLA, Stanford, UMassAmherst, Rutgers and Ohio State. I'm interested in studying syntax, morphology and semantics through a (formal generative) typological lens. If the opportunity ever arises, I would also like to study some computational linguistics. For now, my top two choices are MIT and UCSC.

Quite nervous, and willing to accept some much needed advice if you have any. Also down to chat about anything, since most of you are probably in the same boat: I'm into linguistics, math, (older) video games, (Rutgers or Jets) football, hockey and classical music (especially harpsichord, for some reason). Welcome aboard!

Hey guys,

I'm also applying for graduate school in linguistics this year. Finishing up my application now, thankfully. I am interested in cognitive science and theoretical syntax from a generative perspective.

Major: English (linguistics)

GPA: 4.0

GREs: 760V/720Q/5W

I also completed my undergraduate honors thesis on writing and an internship on phonology and language learning.

I applied to UCLA, UCSC, UCSD, Berkeley, Stanford, U Maryland, and U Chicago. I am interested in working with Jim McCloskey at UCSC as well, Typologaster...Maybe we'll have occasion to meet and work together! Who are you interested in working with at UCLA and Stanford? Are you a Distributed Morphology fan?

It is exciting to find other people applying for this fall as well...It is such a time consuming, nerve wracking process given how low acceptance rates are. Good luck to everyone!

Hey Hopefulapplicant!

Indeed, I'm a big fan of distributed morphology. When I started doing research for my compounds thesis, I came over this article written by Heidi Harley on the distributed morphology of compounding, which provided an elegant account. I'm probably gonna read more into the subject in grad school (if I get into one of them (!)).

Glad to hear someone else out there is going through the difficult process (though it's not like I would wish such a thing on another haha). If things work out for us, we're definitely gonna end up crossing paths at some point in the future. Good luck getting into UCSC—that and MIT are my top two . I was talking to one of my professors, and he said that Sandra Chung and Judith Aissen (amongst others) were amazing as well, so UCSC's great for anyone interested in syntax. It's too bad these schools take on so few grad students....

Again, best of luck. And congrats on the verbal score, that's just awesome.

Im applying to Linguistics this year as well! Have a B.S (honors).in Psychology from a large, private university, where I actually focused on Neuroscience but, because I wanted to graduate a year early, left with a Psychology degree in 2004. Dabbled in various languages & am now pursuing a Masters in Translation Theory in Istanbul, where I'm focusing on Psycho and Neurolinguistics for my thesis. Undergrad GPA (Overall): 3.89. Grad GPA (so far): 3.83. Speak/read 7 languages (I say read as one of them is Ancient Greek, can't do much speaking there). GRE score: 640V, 780Q, 4.5W (unfortunately). Teach ESL as well, and have translated a few books from Turkish to English.

Am very worried about my chances of being accepted, as I don't have a traditional linguistics background, my thesis is nowhere near completion so I had to settle with sending my undergraduate honors thesis (psychology) and a current bibliography for my master's thesis as writing samples sad.gif

Some schools I applied to: NYU, Brown, MIT, Yale. Only applied to 'dream'/'reach' schools as its really expensive to apply, as you guys know, and I could only afford to apply to a few (max 6). Want to concentrate on Psycho and/or Neurolinguistics for my Ph.D. Let's see! Can't wait to hear everyone's results!

• 2 weeks later...

Rushing to finish applying to places hahaha.

UCLA/SC are due today! X_X

lol you're right ... I finished my applications in the beginning of November sooo I've been obsessing on this forum ever since ... thanks for the explanation :) good luck with your apps!!!!

lol you're right ... I finished my applications in the beginning of November sooo I've been obsessing on this forum ever since ... thanks for the explanation :) good luck with your apps!!!!

I'm surprised you were able to scrape money for Stanford, considering their application fee is so expensive! When my parents found out about the figure, they weren't too pleased haha.

I'm surprised you were able to scrape money for Stanford, considering their application fee is so expensive! When my parents found out about the figure, they weren't too pleased haha.

I know, at first I only had a set amount of money, like 750$ or something, which meant I could apply to 6 schools, plus send my GREs, and mail a few transcripts overseas (which costs 100$ by itself). After sending everything, I realized I had a little more money than I thought, which meant I could try my chances at one more school haha. I wanted to apply to Stanford so I went for it. Maybe it was fate?? Thats what I'm telling myself at least cool.gif

Does anyone know how important those Diversity Statements were for the UC applications? Those essays were sort of sprung on me at the last minute.

California is pretty much done... now for UMass, MIT and Rutgers, all of which are due in January.

Stanford required one as well ... interesting, I'm starting to realize that ALL the california schools, whether they're UCs or not, seem to have similar applications ..

I basically wrote mine on the fly. I wasn't prepared for it either. I wrote about being a minority, having lived in europe, my experience with languages, and some other life experiences ive had that make me diverse. it was only 700 words so it had to be short.

in terms of how important it is, i dont see professors looking at our applications, being prepared to throw them into the REJECT pile, then saying, "Oh wait!!! But look at this fabulous diversity statement!!! Let's completely change our minds!!" For that reason, I just made sure it was grammatically correct & said some relevant things, then I sent it on its way.

Btw, I applied to MIT too! Good luck :) I'm thinking my chances aren't too good, I got a neutral response from one of the professors when I explained my experience & research so... yeah. But of course it's my top choice (I love being disappointed).

Edited by Zouzax

just got an email from the linguistics department at Stanford, they confirmed that my application is complete and say a decision will be made by mid-march 2011.

long wait sad.gif

Considering what was said in older topics in this forum, usually the schools inform admitted/waitlisted applicants by the end of February. (Perhaps this year will be different!)

Considering what was said in older topics in this forum, usually the schools inform admitted/waitlisted applicants by the end of February. (Perhaps this year will be different!)

Yes, they probably say mid-March so that students don't start harrassing them for decision news in February lol.

Btw, just got an email from MIT, saying my application is complete, on file for consideration, and the review process will begin after January 2nd. I know its just a confirmation email but I swear I almost threw up in my mouth. Of course my biggest 'reach' school is also the school I want to attend the most. blink.gif

Yes, they probably say mid-March so that students don't start harrassing them for decision news in February lol.

Btw, just got an email from MIT, saying my application is complete, on file for consideration, and the review process will begin after January 2nd. I know its just a confirmation email but I swear I almost threw up in my mouth. Of course my biggest 'reach' school is also the school I want to attend the most. blink.gif

Hahahaha. Indeed, I'm prone to reading too much into the "We received your application!" emails as well. We now know what it feels like to enter The Great Waiting Period.

Oddly enough, I received three confirmations from UCSC, in which none of them contained any truly interesting information. Snarf.

• 2 weeks later...

so guys, this is it! in 3 weeks or so we should start hearing from the schools. Ahh! blink.gif

Yeah, freeky. I wonder how many of those who submitted to these schools (on average about 130) actually submitted theses (that concern theoretical linguistics or a related field). As expected, sometimes I feel sure that I'm going to get into somewhere, and at other times I feel less optimistic. Oh well, may the Great Waiting Period begin. :-\

I wonder how many of those who submitted to these schools (on average about 130) actually submitted theses (that concern theoretical linguistics or a related field).

I didn't. :) I submitted a 15/16-page term paper.

Anyway, I sent my last application (due Jan 15) two days ago, but I don't think I'm going anywhere this fall. My applications are too mediocre for a PhD program, esp. for an international student. Oh well... I just wish I'd spent all that money in a different way.

Good luck everybody! :)

I didn't. :) I submitted a 15/16-page term paper.

Anyway, I sent my last application (due Jan 15) two days ago, but I don't think I'm going anywhere this fall. My applications are too mediocre for a PhD program, esp. for an international student. Oh well... I just wish I'd spent all that money in a different way.

Good luck everybody! :)

A term paper can be good, especially if it concerns linguistics. An applicant to Stanford would usually submit a writing sample of an average length of 15-20 pages anyway (and I've also heard of success-stories who submitted 20-pagers to their schools).