French - Fall 2011

JoeySsance

Research interests & Programs  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose *one* time period or area of interest in French studies, which would it be?

• Moyen âge
    • Seizième siècle
    • Dix-septième siècle
    • Dix-huitième siècle
    • Dix-neuvième siècle
    • Vingtième siècle
    • Littérature contemporaine
    • Littérature postcoloniale
    • Cinéma français / francophone
    • Théorie critique (sociale ainsi que littéraire)
    • Aucune de ces options / Autre champ
  2. 2. To which of the following Ph.D programs are you applying? (This is my list, but I've included an "other" option)

• Berkeley
    • Columbia
    • Cornell
    • Harvard
    • NYU
    • Princeton
    • Yale
    • Other

Don't despair, Elucidarius! It is still early. And you got in somewhere, which is better than I did last year... and better than I've done so far this year! What's your safety, if you don't mind my asking?

Forsberg, the Pitt interview seemed to go ok, but how do you ever really know? I mean, I doubt any of these professors are going to say "You know, now that we've spoken, I can't IMAGINE why we even thought you were worth interviewing in the first place. Why don't you just resign yourself to your career as a sanitation worker?" Although this, of course, is still my secret fear.

Basically, he'd ask me a question, let me ramble until I was done talking, and then go "Uh huh. Ok, so [next question]." And I started the conversation by talking about the weather! Granted, it's been insane, but still! That was the best I could do REALLY? Aargh. Word of advice to anyone who has one of these: think of a better response to "How are you?" than "Glad it stopped snowing!" Try "exhausted from my many hours of volunteer work with orphans" or "still sore from my last ninja fight!" :ph34r: ANYTHING!

/end venting

I had a conversation begin where I talked a bit about the weather and I got the spot. Don't despair!

Don't despair, Elucidarius! It is still early. And you got in somewhere, which is better than I did last year... and better than I've done so far this year! What's your safety, if you don't mind my asking?

Forsberg, the Pitt interview seemed to go ok, but how do you ever really know? I mean, I doubt any of these professors are going to say "You know, now that we've spoken, I can't IMAGINE why we even thought you were worth interviewing in the first place. Why don't you just resign yourself to your career as a sanitation worker?" Although this, of course, is still my secret fear.

Basically, he'd ask me a question, let me ramble until I was done talking, and then go "Uh huh. Ok, so [next question]." And I started the conversation by talking about the weather! Granted, it's been insane, but still! That was the best I could do REALLY? Aargh. Word of advice to anyone who has one of these: think of a better response to "How are you?" than "Glad it stopped snowing!" Try "exhausted from my many hours of volunteer work with orphans" or "still sore from my last ninja fight!" :ph34r: ANYTHING!

/end venting

Ouibeque, don't despair! I have to admit, I LOLed at the bolded part. Yeah, I don't think you are the only one fearing this worst case scenario... I honestly don't see what's so wrong about talking about the weather, though. <_< Small talk always serves its purpose and I expect to be equally tense as you are for my first phone interview.

Also, you have more interviews ahead, so all the experience will help you out along the way ;)

Hi everyone,

it's been several days I spend most of my time on this website; I think i's about time to show up.rolleyes.gif. How are things going for you guys? I suppose we have to wait one more week to know more about our fate.

I read that WashU already accepted and rejected candidates. I applied but I had nothing in my email box. Does anyone know how the department of WashU proceeds about results?

Luckily, Penn emailed me an invitation.tongue.gif

Courage a toutes et a tous.

Salut Nedjamma !

Welcome to our little French 2011 community !

Congrats on the Penn invitation ! I'm going to PM you, so look out for that in your inbox.

How's everyone else doing ? I'm enjoying my last few days in Paris !! It's been a wonderful month of vacation... Just what I needed to get my mind off applications. It seems like I'll be heading back to the States in time for some decisions (give or take a few weeks). Good luck everyone ! smile.gif

P.S. I promise to participate more in the discussion once I'm back in the States. Some of you have asked some neat questions about grad school interests, favorite books, etc. and have shared some interesting responses.

Edited by JoeySsance

I received an email from Rutgers: it seems that I am accepted. smile.gif

Good luck to all of you!

Salut Nedjamma !

Welcome to our little French 2011 community !

Congrats on the Penn invitation ! I'm going to PM you, so look out for that in your inbox.

How's everyone else doing ? I'm enjoying my last few days in Paris !! It's been a wonderful month of vacation... Just what I needed to get my mind off applications. It seems like I'll be heading back to the States in time for some decisions (give or take a few weeks). Good luck everyone ! smile.gif

P.S. I promise to participate more in the discussion once I'm back in the States. Some of you have asked some neat questions about grad school interests, favorite books, etc. and have shared some interesting responses.

Duke UniversityFrench, PhD (F11)Interview via E-mail on 31 Jan 2011

31 Jan 2011

Campus visit in February :D

Congrats, Forsberg! That's awesome. Let us know how it goes!

May there not be a huge blizzard the day you are supposed to fly out for your interview..................

Hey everyone! Congrats on the recent great news some of you have gotten! :)

Speaking of blizzards, which someone brought up, I flew out of Paris this morning with a connecting flight from Copenhagen to NY. Well, due to the crazy snow back home, my flight was cancelled. But my airline accomodated me in a pretty sweet hotel with lots of free perks, courtesy of them, so that didn't turn out so bad! And Copenhagen is a beautiful city! Let's just say that a whole month in Paris plus this sweet yet unexpected turn of events have all been keeping me more or less distracted (or at least occupied) during the wait for decisions. I should be back in NY on Wednesday... hopefully in time for some decisions... or any news at all (in the coming weeks, I hope)!

Bon courage à tous!

-J

Edited by JoeySsance

Hey everyone! If everything goes well, I should be flying out in a few hours.

So I just got back my first decision. I was recommended for admission at Berkeley and have been nominated for one of their most prestigious fellowships!!

The Director of Graduate Studies would like to set up an informal phone call with me (but he said it's not an interview) and added that a faculty member with interests similar to mine will drop me a line as well and that the grad secretary would call to explain the logistics about the admitted students' campus visit in March.

This is great news! Just after the decision, he added this: "Your credentials from [undergrad institution] are extremely impressive, and we feel strongly that the Berkeley program, with its rich offerings in modernist studies, is especially suited to your broad intellectual interests." I hope my other departments feel / felt the same way!!

Good luck to everyone else! :)

I'm very happy for you J. Toutes mes felicitations pour cette superbe place au soleil.

N.

Hey everyone! If everything goes well, I should be flying out in a few hours.

So I just got back my first decision. I was recommended for admission at Berkeley and have been nominated for one of their most prestigious fellowships!!

The Director of Graduate Studies would like to set up an informal phone call with me (but he said it's not an interview) and added that a faculty member with interests similar to mine will drop me a line as well and that the grad secretary would call to explain the logistics about the admitted students' campus visit in March.

This is great news! Just after the decision, he added this: "Your credentials from [undergrad institution] are extremely impressive, and we feel strongly that the Berkeley program, with its rich offerings in modernist studies, is especially suited to your broad intellectual interests." I hope my other departments feel / felt the same way!!

Good luck to everyone else! :)

Congrats Forsberg for Yale. That's wonderful.

Have you more info about the decisions such as the number of candidates selected, etc.

Encore Bravo

N.

Just got an E-mail from the DGS at Yale, I'm in.

My first acceptance.biggrin.gif

Good luck everyone!

Thank you Nedjamma! I'm very very very happy riht now. :D

The e-mail wasn't very specific, just congratulated me and discussed quite a few of the benefits Yale offered, as well as upcoming campus visit days. I didn't even get a phone call or anything, just BAM! A congratulations you are in e-mail. Needless to say, that was one welcome surprise ;)

GK, the French deadline was also January 2nd. I hope you'll receive news shortly B)

Edited by forsberg

Bonjour tout le monde!

Just thought I'd represent from the seemingly-forgotten side of French grad programs, French linguistics! I'm applying to three French linguistics programs (i.e. French department) as well as four straight-out linguistics programs elsewhere. Anyone else?

Hey everyone! I made it back to the U.S. safely, despite the snow. Welcome, jennic! Félicitations, forsberg! Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I have a bunch of e-mails I still have to check, which I'll get around to when I'm less jetlagged. I'll keep you all posted. Good luck to everyone! :)