Students of Sociology!

yin-bodhi

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shellybe

hang in there yin-bodhi. i know how you feel. I've been rejected by 4 and waiting to hear from just 2 more.

when i told my grandma that if i don't get in i will re-apply next year she said taking a year off would be a mistake and i should get some counselors to let me in! can you believe she really thinks that's how it works?

Hey! I'm sorry to hear things aren't going so good for you. What are your stats, if you don't mind my asking? Mine are posted in the application section. Also, what areas are you interested in studying?

I saw you were rejected from The Ohio State University. The truth is, you're not missing much. I wouldn't stay here if you paid me. Don't get me wrong, I love the university, but I'm not too crazy about the Sociology department (and neither are some graduate students). Plus, crime on campus has been insane as of late. I know someone who got robbed at knifepoint in the middle of the day in the middle of campus.

I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get accepted (and funded). I might just stay here, do a huge research project, and get a second major. I don't think I would want to work because there's not many places where I could get the experience I want. I'm not giving up hope yet. If Northeastern doesn't take me, I think I will be a little lost and hope for UMSL and George Mason to say "yes" (although I don't think George Mason will give me the time of day). I already know New School for Social Research is a long shot and it's hard to get funding.

We will see...

Guest shellyb

i go to a small, private univ in the midwest.

GPA: 3.8 (3.8 for major)

Major: psyc

Minors: soc

GRE: 740-Q, 560-V, 4.5-AW

Extra: Psi Chi executive board, Research Experience for Undergraduates at IU last summer, part time work with neighborhood associations, internship at an inner-city community ctr, internship at shelter for battered women.

Thanks for making me feel a little better about the osu rejection.

i'm not sure what i'll do if i don't get in either. i have a pt job now, but i feel like if you take a year off, you need to do something spectacular to put on apps the next year. i'd also have to pick up at least 1 other pt job. i don't know. i'm holding out for IU and ND.

I'm really into soc of ed, which iu and nd both have strengths, so maybe i have a chance on good fit with the programs. i also really like neighborhood stuff, which is good because it is related to my pt job. inequality, stratification, policy, quantitative, all sound good.

what are your interests :?:

You have impressive stats! If you don't get into a grad program, I would consider getting another major in Sociology and joining ASA. Plus, are there any schools that have a March 15th deadline where you could apply? Maybe you can round up your recommenders and hit another school or two.

Hey, no problem. OSU is seen as better than it is at times. Do you really want to sit through classes the first year of grad school and do the exact same things as undergrads? This is what ends up happening to a lot of grad students. Plus, if you aren't insane about football, this isn't a good pick. Yesterday, I was walking across the quad and the local news was there interviewing students about next year's football team. It never ends! However, OSU does get a crazy amount of money, so it is easy to do research. Plus, there's always something going on around campus. It's also fun to heckle psycho Father Dan who screams at everyone and tells us how sinful we are. Every sunny day, without fail, he's out there screaming his lungs out. I actually notice it when he's NOT there.

I hope you get into ND and IU. IU has a better reputation, but ND has some great funding. If ND hasn't rejected you yet, consider yourself in the running. They got rid of me pretty quick. Last year, they called students on Feb 22nd, so you should hear something soon.

I worked under one of the top people in sociology of education when I was a TA at Wright State. I wish I would have taken advantage of that, but I left for OSU before I could take a class with her!

My interests are mixed with Communication and International Relations. I'm interested in cultural conflict (esp in developing nations), how the media projects images of cultural conflict, and how ethnomethodology/ethnographic methods can be used to help solve problems of cultural conflict. Obviously issues of identity are major in this interest and I enjoy reading about identity issues. I also love sociological social psychology and I think Mead was a genius! I don't mind using SPSS and would like to explore research methods a little more. That's about it.. I'm not really into criminology, gender, or any of the usual (popular) topics.

We have a guy like that at our school! The rumor is that he used to be a professor and he locked another prof in a room and got fired and now is angry. he usually shouts a lot about "coeds" getting raped. which we have had a few rapes over the past few years, but unfortunately that is pretty common everywhere. there are a lot of lawsuits between this guy and our school, and he has to stand on the median in the road, because he isn't allowed on the property. he pushes a shopping cart around and wears a graduation gown. haha.

i don't know of any with march deadlines, but some Masters programs. i've been looking into that. but i also really need funding. ick. if you know of any with march deadlines around here (KY, IN, OH, IL), i would love to know. i didn't plan this out too well because i was planning to do social work and i changed my mind in late sept.

I am surprised i didn't get into any of those 4 schools. i try to make excuses so i don't feel just awful (like wisconsin and michigan are just too good, and illinois and ohio weren't good matches). it's not working. maybe i got a bad letter or sent the IU statement to Ohio and the Ohio statement to UW. ack. but i really did triple check that kind of thing.

yin-bodhi, i wonder, were you ever able to check your status online? i was checking where i think i was supposed to be, and there were 3 headings: new application, submitted application, and processed application. i was checking under processed application. then a couple of weeks ago the processed application heading disappeared...don't know if that's just a technical glitch or bad news or what.

i think i prefer IU to ND, but that's just because of the rankings, and because it is closer to family. do you think the rankings will really make a difference when i finally go out job-searching in 5-6 years? money for research sounds nice from ND. thanks!

Something odd... I started an application for SUNY Buffalo, but never finished it (and I sure as hell never submitted it). They sent me a letter today saying they recieved my application, but needed everything else. I thought this was quite strange.

Some Master's programs do have funding.

Let me cook dinner, then I will post up programs that have March 15th deadlines (and there's a good chance of funding). I have two on the top of my head!

Guest shellyb

That is weird about SUNY, I'm surprised anyone would contact you to let you know your application was incomplete, especially if it wasn't even submitted.

i think nd and iu are both good matches as far as interests go. i will choose iu if i get in (unless the funding dif is HUGE, on their websites, IU says about $11,000 and nd says about $13,000). i love bloomington. i lived there last summer and it was great. i have my indiana t-shirt on today for good luck. :wink: i do'nt think it's working.

any news from your schools?

The ONLY reason I did not apply to SUNY-Buffalo or SUNY-Albany is because of my GRE scors. They both seemed pretty strict on those things and I just decided that they wouldn't let me in. In a way, I regret my choice. If I had to do it again, I would have applied to: Brown, SUNY-Albany, SUNY-Buffalo, Northeastern, George Mason, UMSL, BU, and University of Indianapolis. If I don't get into Northeastern, BU, and George Mason, I might just go to undergrad another year and then apply to the programs listed. However, if I get into one of those three, I probably will go if I get some sort of funding.

No word... still waiting... waiting... waiting...

Speaking of University of Indianapolis, their deadline has not passed and you can apply on-line. It's an Applied Sociology program and, if I were you, I would e-mail them and see if you can specialize in one of your interests. I think an applied degree in Sociology is useful because you can work in Clinical Sociology or something of that sort with a M.A. degree OR go to graduate school. This is one of the programs I was thinking of for you yesterday.

The other one doesn't have your interests and I thought they did, sorry. Cleveland State University also offers an M.A. in Sociology and their deadline isn't until July. They might have some funding left.

Wayne State University also has funding and their deadline is July 1st. They have both the M.A. and Ph.D. in Sociology. I've looked at their program for myself and it's not too bad. This is another option if I do not get into one of my programs. I will jump on the Dispute Resolution or Sociology program.

I hope your t-shirt does bring you luck! If no one calls me by 4:00, I don't think they will call today. I also need to go check the mail. UGH! I have a friend who got into University of Cincinnati with a full-ride for her Ph.D. in Criminal Justice (they're #3 in the nation). That was one of her "reach" schools. I'm so happy for her! I hope her good luck runs off on me!

Guest shellyb

thanks! i checked my mail today, and there was an envelope so i got all anxious, but it was for my roommate. stupid roommate! she should know not to get mail at this time! :?

Wayne State University also has funding and their deadline is July 1st. They have both the M.A. and Ph.D. in Sociology. I've looked at their program for myself and it's not too bad. This is another option if I do not get into one of my programs. I will jump on the Dispute Resolution or Sociology program.

They must have my Internet bugged because they sent me a fourth application today. :lol:

That previous post was me, if you couldn't tell. Sorry, I'm having trouble with the log in thing and once I do log in (I have to do it twice), it sometimes doesn't keep me logged in.

Okay, so I pretty much filled in the Wayne State on-line application. One good thing is that my recommenders could post their recommendations on-line. One problem, though... I told them I wouldn't ask them to do anymore and I've said that twice before. I'm scared I will start to make them angry if I ask again. Should I just wait until I hear from Northeastern and other places before I jump on Wayne State? Should I just apply and go for it right now? Maybe I could ask someone else... I don't know. I don't think anyone I have now would be up to writing one for me. Plus, one of my recommenders isn't talking to me. I sent her a million e-mails and she won't respond. She's writing the letters, though; she just won't talk to me! I don't get it. I opened one of her letters from a place I ended up not applying to and it was wonderful. I guess I just send them to her and she does them. I will feel bad if I ask again....

i think since the wayne state app isn't due until july, it would be okay to wait just a couple more weeks to hear. you would want to give your recommenders plenty of notice and hopefully they won't be too mad.

i was worried about asking my recommenders again too. and also, i can't decide if i'd rather take a year off and try for a program i really like or not take a year off and try to go to a program that i really didn't want to go to that much...decisions decisions. i may not apply anywhere else and just reapply next year. that would suck to take a year off though!

oh, i also have problems with the log in, that's why it sometimes says shelly/shellyb instead of shellybe

The people who write recommendation letters for you

... they understand this is about your future

... they acknowledge the importance of applying to different schools

... already wrote their letter

... they only have to copy/paste

don't hesitate to ask them! This is your future.

Judith

Another thing is, do I apply for Sociology of Dispute Resolution? I want to do both, hence applying to both Sociology programs and George Mason for Conflict Analysis and Resolution. I don't think George Mason will let me in because they have the ultimate program. I'm caught between two acadmic fields; I'm having an identity crises. I'm caught between wanting to practice and wanting to hold on to being an academic. I love academia, but I also want to make a difference in this world.

I think I'll wait until I hear from Northeastern before I make a move on Wayne State. Last year, Northeastern called people on Feb 22nd, so it shouldn't be too much longer. Plus, funding will have a lot to do with my choice.

Here's hoping someone hears something good soon!

i'm going to be waiting for my phone to ring on the 22nd since you said someone was called that day last year as if they call that day every year. at least, i hope they call/mail this week! sounds like you are the same with northeastern. good luck!

I think it's time you started applying to other schools with later deadlines, just in case. You did apply to all top 20 schools for sociology without any safe schools. You need to pick up some back-up schools NOW. I have the great big book of Sociology schools if you have any questions. I'll look through that again tonight and see what I can find beyond the three schools I suggested to you. There has GOT to be something left for you (and me if I don't get in anywhere). I know we can do this and get through this!

Guest shellyb

I am going to do some serious searching of programs this weekend. Taking a year off wouldn't be so bad, it's just all that money down the drain. I spent about $500 applying to schools/taking the gre. that is a huge amount of money.

I wouldn't count on them calling today, but they may call before the end of the week. If not, that's only their "first round picks" and they may accept you in March.

I think it's good you're going to research other schools. If you need me to consult the great big book of Sociology programs for any school, let me know. It has acceptance information, funding information, and a whole bunch of other useful stuff. As far as the cost, yes, it sucks big time. I spent an insane amount of money for transcripts (four schools... OSU charges $9 per transcript), plus I took the GRE twice! However, I don't think you would have to take the GRE again unless you really felt the need.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! In the meantime, I'll just sit by the phone and internet waiting... waiting... waiting...

Guest Hegemon

Yin-bodhi, does your book on Sociology programs have rankings as well? I'm applying to Brown (PhD, Sociology), New York (PhD, Sociology), Cornell (PhD, Developmental Sociology), SUNY Stony Brook (PhD, Sociology) and York (PhD, Social and Political Thought). Haven't heard back from any of them yet but just curious of what their rankings might be. Haven’t been able to find any department-specific rankings. If you have any suggestions on where I could find such information on the internet I would also be very grateful if you shared it with me.

Thanks!

Guest Mnemosyne9

Heg- I don't have any rankings info, but I do have the ASA big blue book of programs- if you want, I can look up the stats like number of grad students, average funding, etc. Not exactly what you were looking for, but it can be helpful.

To the others- I am waiting for five letters and I'm going insane! Got rejected from Princeton already (which was my high-end, longshot school) and now I'm checking the mail/email/voicemail like a maniac. I heard people are getting word from UWashington-Seattle, which is one of my high hopes, but I haven't heard a thing yet. Not sure what I want to ask you all, but I just want to talk it out. Tell me I'm not going to get rejected from every school!! Ack!

My stats:

Q650 V620 A5.5

3.8 GPA, honors, double major (one is Soc) and a minor

Undergrad honors thesis defended and done

Letters not from exceptionally famous profs but not bad

Several grad courses during undergrad

Alpha Kappa Delta, Phi Beta Delta, plenty of extracurriculars.

I get so self-conscious and paranoid during these times... It's good to have a forum like this so I can rant and rave.