Students of Sociology!

yin-bodhi

Heg, my book of programs is also the big blue book of answers. Like Mnemosyne said, there aren't rankings but it does have useful information. To me, Brown's program is gold and I'm kicking myself for not having the guts to apply. If they let me in, I would cry tears of joy and be forever greatful. Cornell is also another program I wish I would have had the stats to apply to... I just don't think they would take me. Again, I would probably cry and bow down to them. The other ones you mentioned are good! Stony Brook's website intimidated me! I wouldn't put too much weight into rankings, you have to go with how good they are in your topic(s) of interest. Plus, you have to visit and make sure you will enjoy the place.

Mnemosyne, your stats are wonderful! I don't think you should have any problems getting into some of the schools you applied to. I am checking everything like crazy as well. I was a wreck today and my one professor yelled at me because I am beating myself up over all of this. Feel free to stay here and vent. Where all did you apply?

My profs aren't famous at all. Well, one is top of her field in Educational Sociology, but that's not what I'm going into. I feel like I'm so inferior to everyone here! Like I said, I'm going insane. I need to get in somewhere (first) and I need funding or I can't do this. I have such a passion for my field, I would be so lost if I couldn't do this anymore. This is all I know, this is all I think about, this is what I love. I guess I'll just stay in college another year if this doesn't work out. UGH! Can't give up hope just quite yet!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnemosyne9

Thanks Yin, the encouragement really helps a ton. My partner and teachers and everyone are supportive, certainly not yelling at me (yet), but it's hard not to get a little freaked out.

I applied to UW, U of Toronto, Penn, UC-San Francisco's Medical Sociology, Portland State (backup school) and Princeton where I was already rejected as I said. UW and Toronto are my top choices, but I am just dying to hear anything at all. My aforementioned partner is job hunting the moment I decide where I am going, so he's nervous, and that doesn't help my anxiety... ARGH.

Well, good luck, and I'll keep venting if you will!

Here are some links for sociology rankings:

http://www.socialpsychology.org/gsociol.htm

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/history/g ... iology.htm

http://www.hanover.edu/soc/gradreps.html

http://www.hanover.edu/soc/gradrank.html

Still no word from ND. I talked to one of my professors today. He graduated from ND and he wasn't very optimistic. In fact, he said, "You poor child" and "tell your religious family members to pray for you."

Ack. ok, i'm waiting! i'm in surprisingly good spirits...considering. i'm really not letting myself get down in the dumps too bad.

good luck everyone!

OMG, I would be going crazy trying to find other programs. Well, I guess your prof from ND knows best. I just thought they would have let you know if you were in or not by now since they let me know so quickly. Maybe I just sucked so bad, they felt bad for me and sent me a letter.

I have nothing to do tonight, so I've been going through our job database and ASA's job database. It got me excited and pumped a little bit when I went through ASA's database. Okay, so maybe I'm weird, but it reminded me of what I am working towards.

Those links are good! 8)

Okay, I'm going to put myself to bed soon. The more I'm in the land of the awake people, the more I think about this stuff. Tomorrow's another day...

...of...waiting...waiting...waiting...

Guest Mnemosyne9

I hear that a few people have already been accepted to UW... oh it's so maddening, what does that mean? Are all the spots gone? Are they just doing it in waves, and I might still have a chance? Only one person who got accepted has said they got a TAship, but there should be five or six available from there if my stats are correct... So what is that about? I need funding if I want to go, otherwise I'll have to work off campus or something which is not a pleasant thought.

Since Toronto's soc department hasn't sent anything to anyone so far as I know, I emailed their departmental secretary to ask when I might hear something. I just want some reassuring email, even if it's just to say, "Oh, don't worry, we haven't made the decisions yet." I was going to email my faculty contact in the department, but I didn't want to seem like I was just using him for information- anyway, the secretary would have this data right on hand, more likely.

Another annoyance- I have class until 4:30 or so today, so I can't get the mail until well after it's delivered... Which makes me crazy as well! I know the mail will still be there, but I hate the idea that some word is waiting for me and I'm just not there to see it.

How are the rest of you holding up? Shelly, do you have any other prospective schools that look good? As Yin and I have both mentioned, we have the book from the ASA if you want us to look things up.

By the way, what specialized area of soc are you all interested in? I am either going into medical soc or sociology of art, depending on what program admits me. My undergrad thesis was on art, and my minor is art history, but I am interested in the medical too, and far more programs cover medical/social policy stuff. Lately I've also been kind of enjoying a soc of gender class, but I think my fields are pretty much chosen. Anyway, I can work gender into the other fields without trouble.

good luck with UW! i only have the 1 left to hear from...rejected from the rest. i'm going to look into applying to some more this weekend. i'm interested in soc of ed so i might even apply to educational policy MA programs...what do you all think? i wonder if it's hard to get in? and i can't find any kind of rankings for them. are the programs any good? who know. there is one with a soc of ed specialization. that would be good. i'll have to look into it to see if i like it. i also wonder if they set you up for a policy career or if you can continue in academia...like phd in sociology of course!

By the way, what specialized area of soc are you all interested in?

I postd this earlier, but I will post it again. :D

My interests are mixed with Communication and International Relations. I'm interested in cultural conflict (esp in developing nations), how the media projects images of cultural conflict, and how ethnomethodology/ethnographic methods can be used to help solve problems of cultural conflict. Obviously issues of identity are major in this interest and I enjoy reading about identity issues. I also love sociological social psychology and I think Mead was a genius! I don't mind using SPSS and would like to explore research methods a little more.

No news today. :(

Guest Mnemosyne9

Sorry, I am not having an easy time reading today with all the anxiety. :)

No news for me either, I've gotten the mail and it was just bills and junk. :(

*siiiiigh*

Guest Hegemon

Guys,

thank you for your replies. Sorry for not writing earlier, these days I’m very busy and cannot keep up. Do not despair, your stats look great and, as from what I get from reading your posts, you all seem very intelligent and articulate. Remember that the competition is very high as there are very few places opening at the graduate level. Sometimes the borderline between acceptance and rejection comes down to very tiny details if not mere luck.

Thus, I wish us all plenty of luck! It helps though to diversify as far as the choice of universities is concerned. If you did not already do it, and you still have the chance, apply to at least 2 safety schools.

If you did not already do it, and you still have the chance, apply to at least 2 safety schools.

Thank you for your kind words. What do you think a safety school would be for me? Do you think UMSL (I already applied there) would be a saftey school? How about Wayne State University? I'm open to anywhere east of the Mississippi and not too far south. I'm really concerned about funding, though. I have a boyfriend who has agreed to come with me and he's being very supportive. He has an awesome job (contractor for the DLA) but is willing to try and get a contract wherever we move.

I really am flying blind because my advisor sucks. The grad students I know seem to think I should get in anywhere and I think they like me too much to be realistic about the whole thing. Plus, like I said, I feel bad asking people for letters.

I'm still doing some voodoo for us all! :wink: I hope everyone hears something soon!

I am the same! My bf has agreed to move wherever i get accepted (assuming i get accepted, which now looks unlikely). It is so difficult to pick schools to apply to and consider his feelings at the same time.

I don't want to pick anywhere to far away or anywhere in too big of a city and it is just too hard to scramble for a couple safety schools in a rush like this.

Also, my prof and the people in the career services office acted like i was a shoe-in, so i started to believe them after a while. and of course my family and friends acted like i was crazy if i said i might not get in. now they see i was right!

So, I am getting married this summer and i do have other exciting things in my life, so i won't be too upset to take a year off, i just was hoping and planning on continuing this year.

oh, by the way, it may be obvious, no word from ND today! arg. i'm thinking of calling but i'm so scared they'll say "sorry, your application wasn't approved..bla" and i know they say they make decisions in late feb/early march so i should wait patiently. yeah right!

Guest Mnemosyne9

I got a rejection from Washington too. This fucking sucks.

Four to go, at least I have a good backup school in Portland State.

*siiiiiiiigh*

No word today (although UMSL has finally put my application together; George Mason still needs to put in my final LOR and if they don't on monday I will call them). It's 2:20 on a Friday and I doubt anyone will take the time to call me now. Nothing in the mail except junk and a letter from OSU informing me I got on the Dean's List for fall (really, like I didn't know by now). I've been doing chores to keep myself busy and I better go to the grocery store since I only have one dinner left.

I'm going to take this weekend and do one more search for safe schools. I will probably apply to Wayne State (just need to figure out for what) and MAYBE one more if I can find something that really catches my eye.

Shelly, look for schools too because I think we can find stuff. I know it's hard to do it in a rush, but I know we can do it! Congrats on getting married. I won't get married until I at least have a Masters. Since over 50% of women with a grad degree eventually become stay at home moms, I want grad schools to know I'm not going to be another statistic. I don't want kids; I want a cat, a dog, and a career. I'm also broke and I would like to stay that way for my FAFSA.

I need to be careful because my stomach is really messed up. I've been in pain since April, but it's gotten really bad as of late. They're going to do an ultrasound on my female parts (I'll spare the men) to make sure everything is okay. I hope they find out what is wrong with me, give me some pills, and let me get on with life. Of course, stress does not help.

Oh well, maybe something in the mail tomorrow. I hope everyone gets news soon!

I got a rejection from Washington too. This fucking sucks.

Four to go, at least I have a good backup school in Portland State.

*siiiiiiiigh*

I'm so sorry! It's their loss! I hope Portland gives you a lot of funding! I also hope you get in to one of the other places you applied.

One question: How do you know somewhere is a back-up or safety school?

Guest Mnemosyne9

It's a back up school because the program isn't fantastic, and I'm overqualified for their academic criteria.

Actually, I haven't even gotten accepted to Portland yet, so I shouldn't expect anything.

Fuck UW, and fuck the professor here who wrote my letter of recommendation who said she had influence there. Clearly she's fucking delusional.

Sorry about the language, I need to be a bit ranty right now.

i don't know. i've already been turned down by 3 schools that i exceeded their recommended GRE/GPA. they just say that had an abnormal number of applicants this year. ick.

sorry about UW

i hope everything goes well with the dr. and the problem is easy to treat, yin.

i definitely don't want to be a stay at home mom! i've been working and going to school for more than years and i want to continue. i'm not staying that being a stay at home mom isn't work, but that it's not the kind of work i would like. i would like to have a kid in a few years and i know several female profs with children. but it is tough with people assuming you will never use your degree if you are a married woman. i can see what you mean.

no word today and it is 3:00...3 days till monday...maybe i'll hear something then.

Guest Mnemosyne9

Whew, ok, a good nap and I'm much less furious now. Still pissed, but not like that.

Anyway, Shelly, I am childfree like Yin, so I can't advise, but in academia, it seems that achieving tenure is really hard when you have young kids, which is part of the reason the system doesn't work well for most women. But I've always known I didn't want to have kids, I didn't decide that because of this issue, but if I wanted to have kids I would probably have chosen another career path. I am also in a LTR with a man, and we are not married partly for the reasons Yin describes. I think we'll get married when I've gotten into grad school, but that's still undecided. Of course, we are not religious or anything so what we choose isn't going to bother anyone.

Of course, we are not religious or anything so what we choose isn't going to bother anyone.

haha. we aren't (traditionally) religious either. my family is, so they've been troubled by our ways for a few years now. but that's not why we're getting married. we just want to. i guess that's a good reason.

i know it will be difficulty, but i think my future husband will be very helpful and probably work part time when we have young child. For now we have a puppy and he's as big of a responsibility as we can handle for now. :lol:

I'm so pissed off right now. Northeastern rejected me. I thought it was a perfect fit since you can specialize in International Relations. I'm a little insulted.

Notre Dame, in their wisdom, sent me ANOTHER rejection letter. I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with those people? I didn't need to get rejected twice.

I'm very angry and hurt right now.

Hi Yin-Bodhi,

Are there any other options you are waiting for? You should realize that when you receive a rejection letter, then it is not a good fit in the first place (at least not at this point in life). There are many other programs out there, so don't give up. You will be a great fit somewhere, you just got to find that place!

Are you geographically stuck or open to any possibility? Are you willing to start off with a MA and end up with a PhD or do you only want straight into PhD?

Make your wish list and get prepared for finding other options for Fall 2006.

If it does not work out this Fall, you have the opportunity to prepare a whole year finding good fitting programs, working on your statements, GRE's and in the mean time make sure you do work, volunteer work, internship, research concerning the subject you are interested - anything that fits their program and your resume!

A lot of departments are looking for grad students with experience. If international relations is your thing, then try to travel, volunteer at NGO's etc., find a (part-time) job at an int. organization, be active within your field.

Good luck,

Judith

Judith,

Yes, there are other options I am waiting for. If I get accepted to George Mason and/or Boston University, I will go to one of those two schools. I also applied to UMSL and I will wait to see what they say. I think I will apply to Wayne State University as well and I might look for another school just to be safe.

If I don't get into anywhere, I will stay in undergrad and get another major and/or I will take grad classes as an undergrad. I probably would do another research project. I would also consider a year-long internship with the United Nations here in Columbus, if possible.

I am not geographically stuck, but I would like to stay east of the Mississippi and near a bigger city. I am also open to going to the Northwest or Canada. The only place I probably would not go is to the deep south. I've visited there several times and I just wasn't into the places I've seen. Although, Atlanta and Florida are okay.

When I say I want to do IR, I want to do conflict resolution on an international level. I mainly want to do this through research, but I wouldn't mind working for a few years in the field, if possible. This is why I like George Mason's program so much; I can conduct research and gain experience in their program. I hope they consider me for the Masters if they do not let me into the PhD.

Of course, I am willing to start off with a Masters; that's not a problem for me. I would like to work as a TA since I was already an undergrad TA and enjoyed the experience.

UGH! I'm just really upset and need a day to cool off. I think I will hit a cafe later and think about things (as if I haven't already thought enough).

Thanks for everything you said. I'm just not thinking straight right now. I'll be okay. I wish I could sleep it off, but I got up at noon and there's no way I could fall asleep now. Oh well, maybe I'll get my boyfriend up and complain to him.

i am so sorry to hear about northeastern. what a blow. i felt the same way when i got rejected by IU. I went to the gym and felt much better. good luck with the remaining 3. i still haven't gotten anything from ND. sounds like they are disorganized.

Shelly, I would e-mail or call at this point. I mean, if they've had the time to reject me twice they should at least have had the time to let you know about your status.

Okay, so I'm over Northeastern and I have accepted the fact New School probably will not take me. Oh well, it's not like I can afford to live in NYC anyhow.

Now, I'm looking towards Boston University and George Mason University. BU's deadline was Jan 15th and I am a little worried I haven't heard back from them yet. Their department website says, "Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis." Okay then, let's get rolling on making a decision for me. Lame joke, sorry.

George Mason is driving me nuts because my on-line account says they don't have my third LOR. I e-mailed them and asked (very nice, of course) if they could check and see if they had that very last thing they needed from me before they can review my application.

I'm also looking into Wayne State and I e-mailed someone there to ask two burning questions I have. If the answers are what I need to hear, then I will click the "send" button on my application.

Looking ahead, that's the plan now... I'm down, but I'm not out of the game just quite yet. Of course, there's always the chance UMSL will give me awesome funding. They only accepted one person last year... maybe it will be me this year! I doubt it, but a women can dream...

Okay, I'll keep doing some voodoo and praying to the great admission gods. Here's hoping we all get some good news this week!