Washington, DC and Maryland suburbs

Guest c2d2

You totally don't need a car in DC. I've lived in the area for over a decade and never needed to drive anywhere. As long as you are near a metro or a bus you are in good shape. Getting to College Park is really pretty easy since they have a shuttle from the metro.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this to ask for some info: it's highly likely that I'll be attending UMCP in the fall. I'll be moving out there with my fiance and our two cats--he'll have to find a job (which I'm nervous about). I'm getting a $15,500 stipend for the academic year, plus health insurance. We're hoping to get a largeish 1 bdrm or a modest 2bdrm. Right now we live in a 1 bdrm apartment with a small den/study, which is pretty ideal. I would like to not spend over $1200 on rent if it can be avoided.

Our main issues are safety and quiet, especially the latter for me. I've done the loud college area thing and I don't really want to do it again (apparently at 25 I have become an old crotchety person). Transportation is another factor: my fiance has a car, which he would probably use for whatever job he gets. I do not drive and currently rely on public transit, so proximity to that is important. I'm fine with a bit of a commute.

Can anyone recommend any especially good areas to be looking at? By the same token, can anyone recommend any areas to be avoided at all costs? I've been looking pretty seriously at Silver Spring and I've heard some good things and some not so good things, so any more details anyone can provide there would be great.

Silver Spring is nice, but not cheap now anymore. Also as you get further away from downtown it gets a bit sketchier in certain areas. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific neighborhoods in mind since I've lived for too long and know most of them.

I would suggest living downtown actually as long as you are on the green line of the metro. Columbia Heights might be a good area to think about.

Can anybody tell me how much it costs to live in College Park, Maryland?

just got into a program that waives my tuition and fees. I have to pay the living cost myself.

any information on this will be much appreciated!!

Cost of living can vary a lot, depending on your housing desires, and your willingness to commute.

If you're willing to live in a high-rise style apartment building (expect problems with bugs, and potentially undesirable neighbors), housing is cheaper, and moreso if you have a roommate(s) to share a 2 or 3 bedroom. Right in the College Park area there are lots of "student style" (read: kind of crummy) apartments where with a roommate or two, your portion of rent would be around $350-$500. If you want a single bedroom/studio, don't plan on less than $600, and $800 may be more typical.

If you want to live in a really nice high rise, prices rise accordingly. Around $1400-$1600 for a two bedroom would not be uncommon, though you would likely be living in a nice area (say, downtown Silver Spring), and thus be quite convenient to public transport.

If you're willing to put more time into finding a place, there are a lot of nice, privately owned, apartments/houses/condos for rent, though often these will be farther away from campus - say Greenbelt, Takoma Park, Silver Spring (not downtown), Laurel MD, etc. I'm in a Takoma Park house, in a two bedroom, and my share of rent is $550, including all utilities. My commute to campus takes about an hour, including a half hour walking. (I could take the bus for that part, but I prefer to walk.)

All in all: stipends at UMD range from about $13,000* to $18,000*. That's about the range you should expect your cost of living to fall into, and it will allow for eating out, going to bars, buying non-necessities, in moderation. If you're willing to live like a monk, you might be able to get by on as little as $12,000, but it will be HARD, and you will need to spend a lot of time shopping for deals, and buying groceries only on sale. I think that $16,000 is probably about the number most graduate students budget around, and expect 2/3 to 3/4 to be gone to housing right away.

If anyone wants more info, or whatever, feel free to drop me an email!

--Zo

I lived in Rockville, MD and worked in D.C. this past fall for four months and loved it! Felt super safe and lived right by the Rockville Metro, so it made getting pretty much anywhere super easy. I'm an L.A. native, so not having a car with me was a brutal concept at first, but I quickly realized how everyone is right when they say you really don't need a car in the D.C. area -- especially if you live within walking distance of a Metro rail stop. I was an intern near the Chinatown stop in D.C. and the commute wasn't painful at all. I grew to appreciate the the half hour on the Metro every morning and evening to catch up on reading. I found a total steal of an apartment on Craigslist.... I rented a room in a 2-BR condo with a GWU student for $1000/month in Rockville that included cable, internet, heat, etc. I had such a blast...I miss the area so much!

Although...I did get assaulted by the New York Ave red line Metro stop one night while going to visit my friend who lived near Gallaudet University, so I definitely have a bad impression of that area and never went back.

OK well anyway that's just my two cents about the D.C. area.

Although...I did get assaulted by the New York Ave red line Metro stop one night while going to visit my friend who lived near Gallaudet University, so I definitely have a bad impression of that area and never went back.

I just wanted to kind of counter this with personal experience (which of course is not to discount your own experience, just to add to it). I don't know when you got assaulted, but I live right near the NY Ave station and it's starting to get gentrified over there. They've built a nice Marriott, several restaurants, and are building a Harris Teeter right by the metro. If you're going to AU or need to live on the red line, some of the row houses in the Eckington neighborhood are really affordable to rent and it's NOT NEARLY as unpleasant over there as it used to be. The worst thing that happens to me is being made fun of by high school students on my way to and from work. We also have a police watch now that has drastically cut crime. So don't automatically reject rentals just because they are in that area - they might be worth checking out.

Tonights said:

I just wanted to kind of counter this with personal experience (which of course is not to discount your own experience, just to add to it). I don't know when you got assaulted, but I live right near the NY Ave station and it's starting to get gentrified over there. They've built a nice Marriott, several restaurants, and are building a Harris Teeter right by the metro. If you're going to AU or need to live on the red line, some of the row houses in the Eckington neighborhood are really affordable to rent and it's NOT NEARLY as unpleasant over there as it used to be. The worst thing that happens to me is being made fun of by high school students on my way to and from work. We also have a police watch now that has drastically cut crime. So don't automatically reject rentals just because they are in that area - they might be worth checking out.

It was in September or October, I think. But I had a friend who lived in that area, walking distance from the stop, and she was happy enough with it. She found a total dive of an apartment but for super cheap, which was great for an unpaid internship. She never really encountered many problems. I just got unlucky and didn't much feel like returning to the area after getting jumped.

I've seen similar questions but not quite the same as what I'm looking for. I'll be attending GW for grad school. I'm married with (soon) 2 small children. I'm planning on living mostly off of loans and stipends and such, while the wife brings in close to minimum wage. The prices are terrible in DC if you want safety, and seem to be only affordable when you can do without. Because of the family, I'm not wanting to take the risk. Does GW offer family housing? I didn't see it on their webpage. If not, what might be suitable? I live in Europe right now and am quite accustomed to public transportation. I heard that Gaithersburg might be an option. Is it really too far away if you want to feel "part of the city" though? Thanks for any help you can offer!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just found out Friday that I've been accepted to American University. As it's my only acceptance so far, I'm more then likely going to be attending.

My question is about neighborhoods. I'm a BIG city person and I understand the area around AU is more suburban in setting then urban. I'm not big on that. Is there a place that's affordable but doesn't make me feel live I've traded the suburb I'm currently stuck in for just another, prettier one?

Also, how the HELL do I even BEGIN to find a roommate? Ugh.

Hi to the above poster...

The area around AU is pretty suburban and it can be a bit of a hassle to get to downtown from there. I don't know what you are looking for in terms of affordability though. What's your price range? If you are going to AU you are probably better off living somewhere on the red metro line. If you want the "city life" in DC you want to be as close as possible to the whole Dupont Circle/Adams Morgan/ U Street area of the city. Try to find something in Cleveland Park and Woodley Park areas to be at least somewhere between AU and the fun parts of DC.

As far as getting a roommate goes, I would check to see if facebook has a AU SIS Class of 2011 group. That would be the best first place to look for prospective roommates that are probably not insane and are in more or less the same situation as you. After that I would guess going on craigslist would be your other option.

Hope this helps

Hey Guys,

I just got accepted and will be moving from my current house which is 5 min from UMD to downtown DC. If anyone is coming to college part I would reccomend where I live now, it is quiet and really nice and the catch is our rent is only $360 a month. You can not beat that, the house is noce and furnished. PM me if you are really interested.

Hey guys, just found out Friday that I've been accepted to American University. As it's my only acceptance so far, I'm more then likely going to be attending.

My question is about neighborhoods. I'm a BIG city person and I understand the area around AU is more suburban in setting then urban. I'm not big on that. Is there a place that's affordable but doesn't make me feel live I've traded the suburb I'm currently stuck in for just another, prettier one?

Also, how the HELL do I even BEGIN to find a roommate? Ugh.

I wouldn't call this a suburban area at all, its just a little less urban, if that makes sense. The campus is more spacious and flat, but that's about it. Outside it gets urban again, but its in a part of DC that's not "gritty" urban but more yuppie urban, I guess.

I wish I could explain it better, but your definitely still inside of a city and its easy to go off campus to more urban areas.

I'll most likely be a grad student (single) at GWU next fall. I'd like to keep my costs low, but still live in the city, so that means a couple of roommates I'm sure. What are some decent, relatively reasonably priced neighborhoods (taking into account roommates)? It sounds like U St is a popular area, and Adams Morgan, though neither seem to be near metro stops on google maps. What about the areas near the Capitol South and Eastern Market stops? Those are both on the blue/orange lines, which is great. Are these areas ok, or is it a good idea to stay away from the eastern part of DC? I don't mind an up-and-coming neighborhood and hope to be near a metro stop, restaurants, markets, etc. I kind of like the idea of living near the actual Eastern Market, but I don't know if it's actually a perk or not.

U street has it's own metro stop. Try the maps at WMATA.com as well.

Eastern Market has sort of blossomed over the past few years. There is still some crime, but there are also a lot of young homeowners there who take pride in their community. I imagine that some streets around there are better than others. Aside from the cap hill/EM area which is safer due the presence of Capitol police, I would stay clear of SE. There are ample developing and sort of dangerous areas in NW and especially NE that are at least slightly less dangerous. Although, don't move to the Trinidad neighborhood in NE. Crime was so bad there a bit back that they started setting up police checks to get in and out of that part of town!

I live in Capitol Hill/Eastern Market and I love it. I'm actually leaving this summer to got to Minnesota and will really miss my neighborhood. Anywhere around Lincoln Park is generally going to be a great location. I used to live in Arlington (Clarendon) which was nice, but eh. Not especially unique or interesting to me. Here, I live around families, single people, young people, older people, people of all backgrounds and various income levels. It really is a nice little melting pot. There is always someone outside walking, running, or playing with their dog.

I am on Independence in SE and I would not go any farther over than 14th St SE. I know people who are fine living further over (closer to Stadium-Armory), but as a single female, I wouldn't walk over there alone at night.

Also, if you're around Capitol South, Eastern Market, or Potomac Avenue Metros, you are on the orange and blue lines. Believe me, as someone who lived only on the orange line before, this is a great thing at rush hour!

hi there,

thank you for the offer of advice! my husband and i will be relocating to dc in july. he will be going to gw and i will be going to gw or american. we would like a townhouse with small closed in yard or patio that will work with a cat. our budget is $1500 to $2200. what areas are safe, offer a 30 minute commute or less for both of us and offer that type of living style?

Can anyone provide any information as to when the apartment markets really open up in the College Park area/surrounding areas (Takoma Park, Silver Spring, Rockville, etc.)? Is there a best time to be looking? I'm aiming for a lease starting August 1st, ideally.

^ Ditto! When is the ideal time to visit/look for housing?

I may be attending UMD for grad school, I'd be looking to move in August...Single, bringing my car and definitely want my own room (very light sleeper!) with an offer of $22,000. Can this be done? I don't know too much about the area, only what I've read here and what I saw when I visited for my interview...it seemed nice! Is there really that much crime?? Also, where do most UMD grad students live?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know this question doesn't necessarily fit this forum, but I wasn't sure where to go to get a few questions answered...

My Husband works for the Federal Government and is interested in some open positions on the East Coast, Oregon, and Austin, TX. On the East coast our options are primarily around the DC area. We were wondering what suburbs to consider living in? We would like to rent a town home or something that may have a small yard or park nearby (we have a young son) until we get a feel for area to make a purchase. Also any opinions on any of the cities would be extremely helpful.

We are from the Pacific Northwest, enjoy concerts and busy weekends. We don't mind cold weather, and prefer not to have extremely hot summers. I know that may leave Austin out but we have heard that it is an amazing city. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thank you!

I will officially be attending GWU's Elliott school in the fall. Any recommendations on where a grad student should live? I value convenience, affordability and safety in my search. Any ideas from those who know the area well?

Although I'm not a current student, I live in Foggy Bottom by GWU and can offer some advice. Since GWU is on the Blue and Orange Metro lines (I'm assuming you won't be driving to school), you'll find it preferable to live anywhere along those lines. Capitol Hill, Eastern Market, Foggy Bottom, Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, and Ballston all come to mind, in terms of convenience, affordability, and safety. I lived in Ballston for a while as well, and it's a nice place to live. You might need a car since everything is a little more spread out, but I didn't and got along fine. All of these areas are safe in the urban sense, with the Arlington neighborhoods being the safest of those listed. Georgetown is a pricey neighborhood but not very convenient as it's not on a Metro Line. Dupont Circle, U Street, Woodley Park, Adams Morgan, and Cleveland Park are all great neighborhoods that are a little pricier and you'd have to transfer to get to the Blue/Orange. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

this is a great thread and thanks to all contributing info!

I'll be a grad student at AU starting in August.

I will be looking for a room or apt for between 600 and 700 a month. My one concern is finding a very quiet area. I am sensitive to noise so need to stay away from college student areas, which tend to be noisy (stereos, booming cars, parties). I can always drive or take the train if I want to hang out on the weekends.

Sounds crazy but a neighborhood with the low noise level of an old folks home would be ideal! Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating (slightly) but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

tadjani