Washington, DC and Maryland suburbs

Guest c2d2

this is a great thread and thanks to all contributing info!

I'll be a grad student at AU starting in August.

I will be looking for a room or apt for between 600 and 700 a month. My one concern is finding a very quiet area. I am sensitive to noise so need to stay away from college student areas, which tend to be noisy (stereos, booming cars, parties). I can always drive or take the train if I want to hang out on the weekends.

Sounds crazy but a neighborhood with the low noise level of an old folks home would be ideal! Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating (slightly) but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

tadjani

Sounds like you would enjoy Tenleytown (the area around AU). As others have mentioned - it has less of an urban feel (houses have yards, there are plenty of families) but is still in DC and has plenty of restaurants, etc nearby. Your best bet is to check craigslist bc to my knowledge most of what is up there is houses. My friend paid something like 700/month to sublet a room over the summer up there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, Int'l student here - I'll also be attending UMD this fall. I'm getting $21,000 annually ($18,000 stipend + $3,000 block fellowship) - can anyone give me an idea how how much I could spend for housing? How much would be the living cost monthly (i.e. other than housing) for a grad student? I'm willing to spend a bit more for a good apartment choice. I'd also prefer not to have a car unless it's really essential.

• 5 months later...

I'm applying to Catholic University and the standard stipend for people in the program to which I'm applying is about $18,000. Can I live in/around DC as a single guy for that much or would I have to live on campus?

The area around Catholic, Brookland, is one of the few areas in DC that is both relatively safe and relatively cheap. It is also, mind you, a very boring part of the city--mostly family homes and whatnot. BUT, it is right on the Red Line, which takes you anywhere you need to go. Now, in most parts of the city that are not dangerous, 1200/month will get you a tiny studio apartment. In Brookland, 1200 will probably get you a nice 1 bedroom. Which means, that if you dig and dig, I'd bet that you can find a half-decent basement apartment for around 1000 or so. If you can find a place anywhere else in the city for under 1000 (without getting a roommate), then it is probably in a part of the city where you do not want to be (that is, somewhere unsafe).

So, basically, what I'm saying is, if you're willing to live somewhere "rough," then you can get a place for under 1000.

The area around Catholic, Brookland, is one of the few areas in DC that is both relatively safe and relatively cheap. It is also, mind you, a very boring part of the city--mostly family homes and whatnot. BUT, it is right on the Red Line, which takes you anywhere you need to go. Now, in most parts of the city that are not dangerous, 1200/month will get you a tiny studio apartment. In Brookland, 1200 will probably get you a nice 1 bedroom. Which means, that if you dig and dig, I'd bet that you can find a half-decent basement apartment for around 1000 or so. If you can find a place anywhere else in the city for under 1000 (without getting a roommate), then it is probably in a part of the city where you do not want to be (that is, somewhere unsafe).

So, basically, what I'm saying is, if you're willing to live somewhere "rough," then you can get a place for under 1000.

Is it possible to live outside the city and take the metro in every day? I know very little about the logistics of living there, so any advice is great.

Is it possible to live outside the city and take the metro in every day? I know very little about the logistics of living there, so any advice is great.

Oh yeah, it's definitely possible. If you're willing to commute, that opens up your options quite a bit. You could walk or take the bus to the Red Line and live in Silver Spring; you could live further out, then Park&Ride at the Metro take the Red Line down in; or you could even drive into the city. Or you could do all 3 a different day of the week (some days are a rougher commute than others). The RedLine will be jammed packed with people during regular commuting hours, but you'd quickly get used to that. I only ride the Metro about once a week, and I love it (I live in the city). I have friends who ride it every day, and they hate it. If you end up living here, you'll see that everyone has different feelings about Metro.

Also, don't forget, METRO has a distance-based fare structure, so the farther you travel, the more you'll pay. Dont forget to factor that into your budget

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the offer!

let's say I will be attending the University of Maryland College Park. I'm used to owning my own home, not having to use a car, and not being afraid to walk down the street in my own neighborhood.

Which of these things do I have to give up to live on a PhD student's salary and attend UMCP? :)

I attend the University of Maryland right now. You might have to skip buying a house, but in this market you might be fine. As for transportation, as long as you live relatively close to campus, you really really should be fine. DC, and by extension its suburbs which include College Park, has one of the best public transportation systems in the nation. UMD has its own transport system! Its awesome!! www.transportation.umd.edu And the metro is pretty darn good too.

I feel safe in the area, though there is crime, just like there is in any big city. The fact that we have such good transportation services helps though. There are certain areas you might want to avoid, like some of the areas around Knox Road that have a bit of a reputation, but overall its not bad.

Housing can be rather expensive around here, and you might have to hunt really hard to find a house that you consider suitable for your price range. However, because of the current housing market, you might be in better shape.

hope this helps,

Jen

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have got admitted to UMD's PhD program in CS. They told that they give me 18K/year for TA and 2500$ for dean's fellowship. I wanted know if this amount of money is sufficient for a couple to live in College Park.

I just visited College Park this last week and got a little info on the living situation. One word: expensive. Apartments can easily be at least $1000 a month. If you can split that cost with your SO you should be able to manage (you probably could alone, too). I was really surprised at how expensive the area was; also, the town itself is a bit of a dump. The campus is beautiful though, and obviously has a lot of opportunities in the surrounding area.

Here's an old thread which deals with the DC area:

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experiencing obtaining housing through "washington intern student housing" program? if so, is the housing decent?

Edited by Rand25

Hey guys. I'll be attending grad school in DC in the Fall at American University, and I was hoping to get some help finding housing that is convenient for AU students. Which neighborhoods would be best for an AU student? I'm moving with a few people, so we were hoping for a group house type of thing, or something like it. Any help would be great. Thanks!

cnreves

What is a good location to live on the Green Line for a student? I'm going to Maryland but I'd rather not live in College Park... I'd like to live closer to downtown.

Edited by natalou

What is a good location to live on the Green Line for a student? I'm going to Maryland but I'd rather not live in College Park... I'd like to live closer to downtown.

columbia heights seems to be pretty popular these days, but unless you don't mind living in a house with a bunch of other people, it's very expensive. it also can get pretty sketchy in some areas. mt vernon square and chinatown are on the green line and are in general nice, but also very pricey. the waterfront area/SW is being revitalized (again, can be sketchy once you get away from the main area). i actually have a pal that's moving to SW from college park. it's marginally less expensive than the other areas i've mentioned.

• 10 months later...

Any idea what a 1 bedroom within a mile or two of CUA campus would rent for?

You could probably find something in the $1000 range, if you're willing to take something that's bare bones. A nicer apartment will probably be closer to the $1300-1500 range.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo, peeps, just dropping a note to say: accepted to CUA, still waiting to find out about funding. I get the impression that even a viable offer more-or-less necessitates having a roommate? Anyone else toying with the idea of DC?

Will be headed down for grad school either at American or Georgetown. Looking for a quiet, metro-accessible area for 600-700 a month. Suggestions?

Hi, why have you decided to head down towards Washington DC??

I've been admitted to GWU ELliott School, now weighing my decision between LSE and GWU....

Any advice pls????

Well, for one, all the schools I got into are in DC. Second, DC is the policy nucleus of the US, and the heart of the US security community: it's where stuff happens, and I want to be a part of it.

As for your situation, I'm not familiar with LSE (other than its general prestige), nor do I know to what program within the Elliot School you were accepted. My general advice is your standard run of the mill check-list: which program helps you the most with your career goals, financial feasibility of each program, how you feel about each after visiting, etc, etc.

Will be headed down for grad school either at American or Georgetown. Looking for a quiet, metro-accessible area for 600-700 a month. Suggestions?

I assume you're looking to share a place? For that amount I'd look at Petworth, maybe Adams Morgan. Even in Arlington along the metro (Clarendon/Ballston). Adams Morgan and that section of Arlington are all pretty cool places to live, too.

Hey, I also got into American (Global Enviro Policy in SIS), and I am looking for a 1-bed in DC ($600-900 price range). I am moving with my girlfriend, so she will help share cost, but we aren't looking to get an additional roommate. I've had trouble finding any decent apartment listing sites or apartment buildings in the city other than Craigslist. I'd prefer to live close to the red line, since AU is on it, but want to live in DC proper. Any suggestions on where to look & what neighborhoods to focus on? I don't really know many neighborhoods to look into other than Capitol Hill, Tenleytown, Georgetown (obviously too expensive), and Foggy Bottom (ditto).

Hello! I have just decided to make the move from Miami, FL to Washington, D.C. I'm very excited but know that cost of living is very expensive in D.C. (and higher than in Miami). I've looked through the forum but can't seem to find a place where the talk is specifically about D.C. So I have a few questions for anyone who is able to answer them:

(1) Where are some good (and safe) places to live? I've heard good things about Dupont and Adams Morgan. What should I expect to pay in these areas?

(2) Is it recommended to not have a car in this area?

(3) How good/bad is public transportation?

Thanks in advance for any advice :-)

- Nervous about DC -

Edited by enf22

Hello! I have just decided to make the move from Miami, FL to Washington, D.C. I'm very excited but know that cost of living is very expensive in D.C. (and higher than in Miami). I've looked through the forum but can't seem to find a place where the talk is specifically about D.C. So I have a few questions for anyone who is able to answer them:

(1) Where are some good (and safe) places to live? I've heard good things about Dupont and Adams Morgan. What should I expect to pay in these areas?

(2) Is it recommended to not have a car in this area?

(3) How good/bad is public transportation?

Thanks in advance for any advice :-)

- Nervous about DC -

Dupont and Adams Morgan are certainly nice places to live (and party in), but are VERY expensive. Among people I know, several live in Columbia Heights because it offers many amenities and is not quite as expensive as other neighborhoods. Being from Silver Spring, I've chosen to stay in Silver Spring because I find that rent is cheaper, sales tax is lower (6% in MD vs 10% in DC), and I live a few minutes walk from a huge transportation hub that can get me anywhere I need to go (Silver Spring Metro is on the red line and is the hub for many buses going further out in MD as well as many areas of DC - for example, there are buses going directly to Chinatown / the Mall or the White House or Dupont). Takoma Park (located adjacent to Silver Spring) is even cheaper than Silver Spring and has a small town-ish feel in some respects. Arlington (and its various neighborhoods) is also a very popular place to live on the VA side of the city. If you know where you will work / study it would be easier to make a recommendation about a specific neighborhood to check out. If you are open to areas outside of the district you will probably find cheaper rent, and as long as you are on a good route to your job or school, getting around won't be much of a problem. In general, stay away from anything in the SE, as well as the suburbs in that area. If the rent looks too good to be true, it's usually in a crappy neighborhood. Try craigslist to get an idea of the prices. You might try this too: http://dc.about.com/od/neigborhoodprofiles/u/Neighborhoods.htm

Transportation kinds sucks no matter which way you do it. I prefer to sit on a bus or train and zone out than deal with driving here. I absolutely can't stand the traffic, and everyone knows we have plenty of that around the clock. When I owned a car (until 9/2009), it was completely paid off and by my calculations using the metro wasn't any cheaper. However, that was with 2009 gas prices. You will find public transport isn't cheap (well, the buses are still cheap, and I use them more), but the hassles of owning a car in this city were more than I wanted to deal with. When I need to go somewhere further out or I have a lot to carry, I just use zipcar. Metro's website is helpful in some ways, but the trip planner is not reliable for figuring out the most efficient route. www.wmata.com You can download the pdfs of the DC / MD / VA bus maps and then look at the individual route schedules if wmata recommends anything that involves too many transfers or an insanely long amount of time to get somewhere.