Sciences Po "Master in Economic Law" English Track

joshc618

Hi Everyone,

I'm taking the LSAT and planning to apply to law schools here in the United States. However, I studied International Relations and French in college, so I am also thinking about studying law in France. I do speak French pretty well (scored an Advanced-Low on the Oral Proficiency Interview), but I'm not sure if I speak French well enough to join law schools like Paris 1 or 2. Sciences Po, on the other hand, has an English track "Master in Economic Law", which would allow me to study in France (which I would love), give me the opportunity to become completely fluent in French, and I have heard that Sciences Po has an incredible reputation in France. My ultimate goal is to end up working in France in consulting or the legal field. This being said, does anyone know about any other good law schools in France that I could apply for even though my French skills aren't completely fluent? Should I just go for the Sciences Po English Track program? I would like any advice that anyone has! As for my profile, I graduated with a 3.85 (top 5%), majored in International Studies and French with a minor in Public Policy, I have studied abroad twice in France (one month, one semester) and once in China (two week leadership exchange), and I am working at a law firm for the next year until I go back off to school.

I hope someone has some advice!

• 1 year later...

Hey I know this post is old, but if you haven't already decided to go to law school I am currently living in Paris doing a masters program. I am a native English speaker but have lived for over 3 years in Francophone countries and did my B.A. in the United States in French Literature. Since I've been here I've had to take a few law classes, but not at Science Po, and frankly unless you can honestly consider yourself a near-native speaker I would highly recommend against going on the French language track at Science Po. Also I would not recommend going and getting your Masters I in France without a JD. Even if you went back to the USA and got a LLM you would be unable to sit for the bar in many states. If you want to work in France, look to schools like American University Law School or even if you don't score as well on the LSAT Vermont Law School as they offer joint degree programs with many prestigious law faculties in Paris. Also almost all the T14 offer similar programs as well. Bon courage!