MPH Programs in Canada

MPH_hopeful

Hello Folks,

I'm going to introduce some Canadian content into this discussion board. I am interested (and intending) in applying to MPH programs in Canada. I have selected two so far, the MPH program @ U of T (University of Toronto) and the MPH program @ Waterloo.

My preference is to pursue take the Waterloo programs as it is primarily offered on-line, allowing those with families, mortgages and car payments (like myself) to work while obtaining a second degree.

However, I was given some pause today after reading that the MPH program at U of T is much better than the Waterloo program, but there was no substantial indication why the U of T program is better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Hey!

I just came across your post. Did you apply to both of them?

I applied to both of the schools. And I hear different things about both of the schools.

Waterloo being an online program will not allow to have much daily interactions with your faculty and classmates. So, there is very little communication, however, if you speak to someone who graduate from the program, they would probably be able to comment on this. However, the program is old, which means that they are successful at what they do, and if you want to work after, I am sure you will attain a job or build your career because you choose what subject areas you want to study and pursue for career options.

UofT is considered big because it is local for many people, its a big university thats been around for 2 centuries almost and its not online. So, in the end, I think both are great schools, you just have to go with what works best for you. And, these are my person opinions so it might not 100% valid.

I have applied to both, and I am waiting to find out if any are an option for me :S. So we will know soon.

I hope that helped.

Hello Folks,

I'm going to introduce some Canadian content into this discussion board. I am interested (and intending) in applying to MPH programs in Canada. I have selected two so far, the MPH program @ U of T (University of Toronto) and the MPH program @ Waterloo.

My preference is to pursue take the Waterloo programs as it is primarily offered on-line, allowing those with families, mortgages and car payments (like myself) to work while obtaining a second degree.

However, I was given some pause today after reading that the MPH program at U of T is much better than the Waterloo program, but there was no substantial indication why the U of T program is better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Trying to get this discussion up and going again. I applied to SFU, UBC, UofA and UVic. During the course of applying I had a lot of trouble finding forums about Canadian programs, so let's put up some thoughts for next year's cohort.

My first choice: Simon Fraser. It's accredited by the CEPH (the body that accredits US schools), meaning that once you graduate you're eligible to get certified as an advanced-degree public health practitioner (really only relevant if you may try to work in the US). The only other accredited school in Canada is UdeMontreal, and that program is French (though UofA is in the application process and expects to be certified fall of 2011). I chose the Population Health concentration because I'm interested in access to services and policy.

In all honesty, I'm kind of shooting in the dark about a lot of stuff, as I wasn't able to visit any of the schools I applied to. I get the impression that SFU is the right fir for me in particular, but I'm still considering UBC since it's more of a 'big name' school.

Alberta's program seems pretty great. I only applied to schools that have a practicum option instead of a thesis, and those mainly ended up being out west. I know that McGill and Queens started programs recently, but I haven't heard much about them.

Great idea for a thread! I've been digging and digging trying to find more info (non-official/site info) about MPH programs in Canada. I applied to UBC, and UofA for the MPH as well, Queens for MPA. Was accepted to UofA Epi stream, and Queens, rejected at UBC unfortunately.

Since the MPH programs in Canada are so new, I've had a really hard time differentiating between Universities though. From what I've been able to learn, as the above posters have said a few Universities in Canada, including UofA are accredited. If you are planning to move out of the country for work, this may be something to consider.

As for program content, UofA, UofT, SFU, and UofS have concentrations (i.e. Epi, Global health, health policy, etc. etc.), some other schools don't (I can only recall UBC right now, but I think another University have general MPH degrees as well). All of the ones I've listed also have practicums, this is becoming fairly common though now.

I am leaning towards the UofA program right now because it seems quite developed. There are only about 5-7 students per stream so you should get fairly individual attention in terms of supervisors eventhough it is a professional program. The one drawback of UofA would that they do not have an established network/database for practicums like other schools. From my understanding, UBC, SFU, and Waterloo for sure have established networks. At UofA I was told I would have to find my own, they would of course support me in this process, but it would be nice to have somewhere to start.

UBC also seems like a strong program. You should be able to graduate about half a semester earlier here. Between UofA and UBC, UBC has 2-3 fewer classes. UBC is alo a bit more generous with the funding though from what I hear. They give student stipends during practicums ($2500), while UofA does not.

Overall, there are pros and cons to all of these programs, I would love to hear what other people think about this!

For U of A were you interviewed prior to being accepted?

I applied to the Global Health stream and was emailed today about choosing an interview time.

I was just wondering what the interview consists of? Though I am sure it is somewhat different between streams.

Great idea for a thread! I've been digging and digging trying to find more info (non-official/site info) about MPH programs in Canada. I applied to UBC, and UofA for the MPH as well, Queens for MPA. Was accepted to UofA Epi stream, and Queens, rejected at UBC unfortunately.

Since the MPH programs in Canada are so new, I've had a really hard time differentiating between Universities though. From what I've been able to learn, as the above posters have said a few Universities in Canada, including UofA are accredited. If you are planning to move out of the country for work, this may be something to consider.

As for program content, UofA, UofT, SFU, and UofS have concentrations (i.e. Epi, Global health, health policy, etc. etc.), some other schools don't (I can only recall UBC right now, but I think another University have general MPH degrees as well). All of the ones I've listed also have practicums, this is becoming fairly common though now.

I am leaning towards the UofA program right now because it seems quite developed. There are only about 5-7 students per stream so you should get fairly individual attention in terms of supervisors eventhough it is a professional program. The one drawback of UofA would that they do not have an established network/database for practicums like other schools. From my understanding, UBC, SFU, and Waterloo for sure have established networks. At UofA I was told I would have to find my own, they would of course support me in this process, but it would be nice to have somewhere to start.

UBC also seems like a strong program. You should be able to graduate about half a semester earlier here. Between UofA and UBC, UBC has 2-3 fewer classes. UBC is alo a bit more generous with the funding though from what I hear. They give student stipends during practicums ($2500), while UofA does not.

Overall, there are pros and cons to all of these programs, I would love to hear what other people think about this!

For U of A were you interviewed prior to being accepted?

I applied to the Global Health stream and was emailed today about choosing an interview time.

I was just wondering what the interview consists of? Though I am sure it is somewhat different between streams.

Yah I was interviewed. It was super super informal. Basically it's just an opportunity for you to ask them questions about their program and why you want to pursue an MPH at their school.

Looks like you got accepted to a few, so which is your first choice?

Are any of your other already accepted MPH programs giving you funding?

Not sure I have a first choice. Right now I'm leaning towards SFU though if U of S decides to give me any money that could sway my decision. I'm also currently graduating from a Global Health undergrad program and U of A is the only school to which I applied for the Global Health stream...so that might be another thing I look at. Like you, I haven't been able to find a good source of information out there comparing the programs so my decisions are really up in the air. I haven't heard anything about funding but then again for both programs I was accepted by email and have yet to receive any formal packages.

Will you be going to U of A?

Yah I was interviewed. It was super super informal. Basically it's just an opportunity for you to ask them questions about their program and why you want to pursue an MPH at their school.

Looks like you got accepted to a few, so which is your first choice?

Are any of your other already accepted MPH programs giving you funding?

Hi guys!

Its interesting to see everyone choices are different than mine. I applied to ontario mostly, and one school outside of ontario that I applied to was Saskatchewan for public health.

I applied to uoft, york, uoit, guelph and waterloo to name a few and I haven't heard anything :(.

I'm leaning towards UofA myself, although they are not giving any funding. They said they do not have the capacity to give funding to MPH or MSc students. To bad! Also TA-ships aren't available since there is no undergrad Health Studies/Epi programs at the school.

To bad, the extra money would have been really great...I guess I'll have to find part time work while going to school.

For the rest of you who have/will received acceptances to MPH programs, keep us posted on funding info so we can compare.

I'm actually from SK myself and didn't apply here because I'd like a change of scenery, I would be quite interested in knowing if they are giving funding.

Great to have found this forum.. I am having a hard time deciding between the U of A and Waterloo's MPH program.

I picked these two schools because they are both online based and I would like to continue to work full time while completing the program part time.

I find myself drawn to the course content of U of A MPH-Health promotion stream but they don't seem to have any formal support network. Has anyone heard anything about U of A and what the level of interactions are like?

Waterloo at least has a facebook page and a 2 week orientation before the start of the program which I am sure helps connect students and encourages interaction.

Does anyone have any experience to share about the online aspect of the courses?

Some information about UBC MPH tuition. If you intend to work while studying, it is good to explore the part time option.

I talked to the pgm administrator and if you are taking more than 2.5 year in completing the course it works out cheaper. The only disadvantage is that you can't apply for scholarships/TA ship/etc.

The UBC program offers entrance scholarship to their top 5 candidates.

Great to have found this forum.. I am having a hard time deciding between the U of A and Waterloo's MPH program.

I picked these two schools because they are both online based and I would like to continue to work full time while completing the program part time.

I find myself drawn to the course content of U of A MPH-Health promotion stream but they don't seem to have any formal support network. Has anyone heard anything about U of A and what the level of interactions are like?

Waterloo at least has a facebook page and a 2 week orientation before the start of the program which I am sure helps connect students and encourages interaction.

Does anyone have any experience to share about the online aspect of the courses?

Hello folks, good to hear all this information. I have few questions hope you guys will be able to help me out

I am accepted at UBC and SFU....

My questions are

which is a better option provided I m an international student and funding remains a major issue.

Any good external sources of funding/ when to apply and chances of success

How rigorous are these programs. I mean the timings of classes etc. I mean can one carry out a research project along with the masters

Which is a better place to live.

Don't u guys think that UBC program is too general. Does this matter ?

UBC is a bit more "prestigious" than SFU, but I wouldn't base my decision on that alone (prestige would be way at the bottom of the list for me, it's all depends on the program). SFU's MPH program is quite established and I think they are accredited with CPEH, so your degree is recognized internationally.

I'm not 100% sure about this accredited thing, can someone confirm this?

In terms of program, I too found UBC to be a little but too general. Their program also has about 3 less classes than others for the same price. I'm not sure how important this is, or even if it reflects program qaulity, but that's what I noticed.

SFU's MPH program has been around longer, so they might have more kinks worked out.

However, SFU is located in Burnaby and UBC in vancouver. I love love love, vancouver, and I have to admit this was very near the top of why I applied there. Vancouver has many things to do, good food, and a very nice campus culture.

Finance wise, vancouver is alot more exspensive to live than Burnaby I would guess. Mainly rent will probably cheaper in Burnaby.

UBC also gives stepends for their practicum remember, not sure if SFU does.

I guess in the end, it depends on what your priorities/needs are.

What country are you moving from btw?

Edited by M19

You're right about CEPH. UdeMontreal and SFU are the only CEPH certified programs in Canada (though Alberta should be in Fall 2012, meaning anyone graduating after that is good.

Going to an accredited institution just means that when you're applying for jobs, potential employers can be certain that you received a certain curriculum so you should know everything you need. Also, in order to take the test for CPH (Certified in Public Health), you need to have graduated from an accredited school. That certification isn't a huge deal not since it's relatively recent, but they hope it will be so that public health professionals have a real certification program.

UBC is a bit more "prestigious" than SFU, but I wouldn't base my decision on that alone (prestige would be way at the bottom of the list for me, it's all depends on the program). SFU's MPH program is quite established and I think they are accredited with CPEH, so your degree is recognized internationally.

I'm not 100% sure about this accredited thing, can someone confirm this?

Hello,

I was just curious, have you heard back from Waterloo yet? I also applied there, and although it is online, its also a established program so, I am sure they have great connections.

Also, does anyone know anything about MPH at Saskachewan? I am accepted there, and they also don't mention anything about TA-ing--they only mention the practicum and finding part time jobs? I am still looking into living expenses and everything else.

Did anyone apply to Guelph or UofT or Lakehead?

Thanks!

thanks a lot for the info.....

Do you have any idea about the timings of the classes/lecture sessions

What do you mean by three classes less. Does this mean 3 courses less.

Can anyone comment on the credit hours at SFU and UBC

I got into Guelph mph on Friday, March 25 :)

I'm really excited and maybe I'll see a few of you in September !

Also, do we get paid during the practicum??

Hello,

I was just curious, have you heard back from Waterloo yet? I also applied there, and although it is online, its also a established program so, I am sure they have great connections.

Also, does anyone know anything about MPH at Saskachewan? I am accepted there, and they also don't mention anything about TA-ing--they only mention the practicum and finding part time jobs? I am still looking into living expenses and everything else.

Did anyone apply to Guelph or UofT or Lakehead?

Thanks!

Hey!

Congratulations!!! It must feel great!

I am actually on the waitlist for the program :(. So I dont know what are the chances of being accepted there....

I hope its good news..

Hey!

Sorry I have a question...

Did they tell you by when you have to accept their offer?

Thank you!

Hi !

I'm not sure when I have until to accept the offer. I should be getting the package in the mail tomorrow or Thursday so I'll post it as soon as I do. I'm accepting as soon as it gets here !!! :)

Also, do the user that got waitlisted, what was your gpa like?? What was their cutoff?

guelphmph2011

Hey!

Sorry I have a question...

Did they tell you by when you have to accept their offer?

Thank you!

Okay help me out guys, here are the options I have:

Route 1: Queens MPA (policy), 1 year program, $8000 in funding, well recognized school.

Route 2: UofA MPH in Epi, 2 year program, no funding (they don't provide funding to anyone apparently), good school.

With the Epi degree at UofA I will probably have more job opportunities in the end (and Epi is awsome), and I will likely be able to find a part time job (while going to school) with the feds if I move there because I've been working with them recently out of a different region (same department though).

For Queens, the program is so nice and short. I could be done, out and working next year. The school is also well recognized, and the money definitely doesn't hurt either.

What do you think? I have to decide by April 4th.

Edited by M19

Hey everybody,

I'm sorry to be relatively useless but I don't know anything about any program other than SFU's as that's what I've applied to. I'm just writing because I was accepted by the SFU program a few weeks ago but they said I'd get my official offer of admission within a few weeks and that initial email had absolutely no information on accepting the offer or anything else. I'm starting to get concerned because since that email I've received nothing else. dry.gif

Did anyone else accepted to SFU's program receive their official email offer from graduate studies yet or anything besides that initial email?

Hey!

Thanks for your reply!

Any luck on the getting the package? Its weird I got an offer from saskatchewan and they said they would send a letter, but I havent received amything yet (from two weeks ago). I also got in Waterloo and the sent the letter immediately.

I have no idea what was the cutoff for Guelph, but I know they had very limited spots. I am not even sure where I am on the waitllist and that if they even rank the people...

My gpa was 3.68, overall not so great. But I have over 3 years of experience in part time jobs in research etc. So they might have taken that in consideration. The program is new so I am not sure about its connections.

I might accept Waterloo--but I dont know anyone else going there..and the online option is kinda my fear.

If you can kindly please let me know whens the deadline to accept Guelph...I can maybe know if a second round of offers will be provided.

Thanks so much!

Hi !

I'm not sure when I have until to accept the offer. I should be getting the package in the mail tomorrow or Thursday so I'll post it as soon as I do. I'm accepting as soon as it gets here !!! :)

Also, do the user that got waitlisted, what was your gpa like?? What was their cutoff?

guelphmph2011