MPH Programs in Canada

MPH_hopeful

Are those the only schools you applied to?

I would go with UofT...more known. however, Queens is also a good school. Check out their facebook page to to talk to the people in the program.

Also..look at work opportunities for each as well. I think Queens offers two practicums?

And finally..check out the tuition fees, UofT is always too expensive, but I would check that.

You have to do a lot of research into both school. Did you get into both of them?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anybody knows anything about the Queen's MPH and UofT MPH IN enviro and occupational health? Which one is better??

Thanks!

Pebbles

Hi Stars,

yes I got into both! I tried to find a facebook page about the Queens MPH but they didn't really have one - at least the discussion board has been outdated for two years (and not much discussion going on either). I compared the courses from both schools and I feel the Queens one offer more interesting course topics, however I agree with you that UofT seems to have a better reputation!

Hmmmm :(

Pebbles

Are those the only schools you applied to?

I would go with UofT...more known. however, Queens is also a good school. Check out their facebook page to to talk to the people in the program.

Also..look at work opportunities for each as well. I think Queens offers two practicums?

And finally..check out the tuition fees, UofT is always too expensive, but I would check that.

You have to do a lot of research into both school. Did you get into both of them?

Hey!

So I just visited the UofT website and I am going to biased, but I really think you should with UofT..the opportunities sound great. You are set :). Course topics will be great in both places..try to compare the opportunities that may come out of each of them for you. And they accept only 10 people, so you should be very proud of yourself :).

You can also just drop by the campus and talk to the professors..email them and meet with them, if you are in toronto. Or even with queens..I know how you feel, I am trying to inquire about waterloo, but not really sure who to talk to. I got accepted there but because its online I am really worried about that, because I like interactions. And who knows if I will get into the UofT (doubt it lol), they are really late in letting people know for the health promotion program. You are lucky you have time to decide.

Good luck researching and hopefully picking the best route.

Congrats!!!

Hi Stars,

yes I got into both! I tried to find a facebook page about the Queens MPH but they didn't really have one - at least the discussion board has been outdated for two years (and not much discussion going on either). I compared the courses from both schools and I feel the Queens one offer more interesting course topics, however I agree with you that UofT seems to have a better reputation!

Pebbles

hey mph-ers :)

alright so i just accepted my guelph offer ! (it was all by snail mail which was weird)

i looked at the course timetable and apparently there are only 30 spots in the classes for first semester, so i'm assuming less than 30 mph-ers cuz some ppl in epidemiology also take those courses. so i'm assuming 20 or even less are for the mph.

the offer had to be accepted by april 14, and im assuming thats cuz of waitlist stuff.

i have a few questions. are we paid at least min wage for practicum?

and is anyone else pursuing an MD after their MPH?? thats my plan :)

hey mph-ers :)

alright so i just accepted my guelph offer ! (it was all by snail mail which was weird)

i looked at the course timetable and apparently there are only 30 spots in the classes for first semester, so i'm assuming less than 30 mph-ers cuz some ppl in epidemiology also take those courses. so i'm assuming 20 or even less are for the mph.

the offer had to be accepted by april 14, and im assuming thats cuz of waitlist stuff.

i have a few questions. are we paid at least min wage for practicum?

and is anyone else pursuing an MD after their MPH?? thats my plan :)

That's too bad. The field needs more public health professionals and so 'premeds' are avoided by the adcoms. It's too bad they didn't weed you out - you must have lied about your career direction in your PS...

Hi everyone,

So I've been accepted at SFU and UofSask, though as many of you I am still waiting for any official correspondence from SFU.

I was just wondering if anyone knew more (than the website provides) about the UofSask program?

I've visited the campus and other than the cold weather it is actually one of the nicest campuses I have seen (small but all the buildings are made of the same stone and dont remind me of prisons). I also know that a new health sciences building is being built where the School of Public Health will be moved (it is currently in the hospital).

Help!

i agree. also many physicians are involved in clinical research and got their mph after their md. im working in research with an md who went down that route, which inspired epidemiology. i just got accepted into u of t epidemiology today as well :) so my name mite change to dallalana2011 :)

Actually we need more md's with an understanding of the social determinants of health and an ability to advocate and push for policies to address them

@Decaf:

Yes I want to go to UofT too, but someone told me the program may be slightly outdated and may not meet the current demands of the Ontario Occupational safety standards :S and I am interested in pursuing research or practice in understanding biological hazards and their effects in the environment; I feel like the UofT MPH occupational and enviro stream doesn't acknowledge this as much... I don't know i'm so indecisive!

It seems like nobody has applied to the Queens MPH! But their program is equally competitive... I feel like it must be promising if it is so. :S Does anybody know anything about the Queens MPH?

@guelphMPH2011:

congrats! If you do go into medicine after mph, I hope you can implement a lot of the public health practices that you learned into the medicinal arena. I really believe that the public health system in canada deserves equal attention and it would great if someone could finally integrate public health practices with diagnostic practices :)

which med school do you want to go to?

Pebbles

actually i told the truth. and got in. :)

Congratulations!

Its great that you heard from UofT..last year my friend found out all the way in May. Did you hear via email or website status change?

So I have a question..did you accept Guelph? What happens if you accept one and then you find out about another offer and might want to accept that? Is there a penalty or fine?

i agree. also many physicians are involved in clinical research and got their mph after their md. im working in research with an md who went down that route, which inspired epidemiology. i just got accepted into u of t epidemiology today as well :) so my name mite change to dallalana2011 :)

I am sorry! I wish I could help, I actually regret not applying to that school. But Queens sometimes has their students pics and names...so maybe you can find them on facebook...kinda promoting stalking here but with good intentions lol. Also, you should email faculty and the program assistant or coordinator. Be honest and ask you questions. Thats a really tough decision.

I am sorta in the same boat..although I havent heard from other schools..I am really confused about the option I have right now..which is Waterloo (MPH). I really dont know if I should go ahead with it...I hear mixed advices.

Does anyone know anything about the school, program and the online format?

@Decaf:

Yes I want to go to UofT too, but someone told me the program may be slightly outdated and may not meet the current demands of the Ontario Occupational safety standards :S and I am interested in pursuing research or practice in understanding biological hazards and their effects in the environment; I feel like the UofT MPH occupational and enviro stream doesn't acknowledge this as much... I don't know i'm so indecisive!

It seems like nobody has applied to the Queens MPH! But their program is equally competitive... I feel like it must be promising if it is so. :S Does anybody know anything about the Queens MPH?

I am excited that I found this forum!!

I applied to seveal universities in Canada and was accepted at Simon Fraser University, University of Saskatchewan and Queen's University... I have no idea where I want to go as each of these universities is EXCELLENT!!

-SFU is close to Vancouver, which would be an awesome place to be. It seems to have a good program ...

-U Sask has a lot of options that other universities do not offer in addition to a lot of core courses. I have been told that U Sask is a BEAUTIFUL campus and there is alot of infrastructure being built. My concern is the location. Does anyone live in (or know someone who lives in) Saskatoon? Yes, the winters are COLD!!

-Queen's is one of the prestigous univesities in Canada ... It is in a good location. The program has just started at Queen's (I think it is going into its 4th year) but at the same time it is based off a MSc in Epi program. There are no funding opportunties. CLASS SIZE OF 20!! SFU has a class size of approx. 40-60 and U Sask approx. 80. ... I guess that is an individual preference.

I got an E-mail from SFU that stated I was being offered admission and that an official offer would follow. I have yet to receive this official offer ... I don't think it is anything to worry about this point in time. I was offered admisson to th U Sask MPH program in January and I got the letter in March (2 months after the offer of admission was sent). I haven't receieved an official letter from Queen's either.

As for funding, only SFU and U Sask offer funding but you are considered for funding after you have accepted your offer of admission ... At least this is what I have been told by the universities.

If anyone has any isights that would be awesome, but I have a feeling that we are all in a similar situation in that we do not know where to go. I am leaning towards U Sask but I am concerned about the loaction ...

Does anyone know anyone in Public Health?? They would be a good person to talk to about which programs are good.

If you want higher grades go to the easier school, if you want well known school go to the more prestigious school. I think it's obvious which one is which. Big city vs university town. Both have their benefits. If you plan on doing a PhD or med school after you probably want higher grades. I don't know which one is "better" but whatever choice you make it will be the right one. Good luck.

HELP !!!! U OF T OR GUELPH

hey mphers i'm in desperate need of help

im so confused where to go ! is one program harder than the other. which do you view as more prestigious/better.

please help :(

thx

guelphmph2011 (or should i change my name to dallalana2011)

I looked up both of the program quickly on-line ...

It is my impression that at U of T you specialize in an area of MPH such as Epidemiology or Public Health Promotion whereas at Guelf University you take courses in the core areas of MPH and then you choose the options that appeal to you ... I guess it depends if you know where youw ant to work when you are finished your MPH. If you know what area you want to work then it might be more useful to go to U of T and specialize in that area and if you don't know what area you want to work in and you have multiple interests in public health then it might be more useful to go to a university that instructs in all the core areas and then you can choose your options depending on what you are interested in.

If pretigousness is important to you then you might want to consider U of T ... Both are good universities but U of T is one of the big name universities.

Also, where would you like to live? Would you rather live in Tornoto which is a large city or would rather live in a small city ?

You could also contact both of the universities if you have specific questions.

Queen's programs specializes in cancer epidemiology and things like smoking and environmental harzards that could cause cancer ... If you are interested in these things then Queen's is a good program.

Hi Stars,

Pebbles

I think you should look in to the courses, tuition, accommodation and maybe find facebook groups to chat with people about the programs.

I personally would have selected uoft if given the opportunity. But I didnt apply to epi.. I applied to health promotion.

When do you have to decide by? Did you accept any of them?

HELP !!!! U OF T OR GUELPH

hey mphers i'm in desperate need of help

im so confused where to go ! is one program harder than the other. which do you view as more prestigious/better.

please help :(

thx

guelphmph2011 (or should i change my name to dallalana2011)

I am accepted to Usask as well but not sure if i am going to accept it..only because of distance, which is sad, because its a good program.

I am excited that I found this forum!!

I applied to seveal universities in Canada and was accepted at Simon Fraser University, University of Saskatchewan and Queen's University... I have no idea where I want to go as each of these universities is EXCELLENT!!

-SFU is close to Vancouver, which would be an awesome place to be. It seems to have a good program ...

-U Sask has a lot of options that other universities do not offer in addition to a lot of core courses. I have been told that U Sask is a BEAUTIFUL campus and there is alot of infrastructure being built. My concern is the location. Does anyone live in (or know someone who lives in) Saskatoon? Yes, the winters are COLD!!

-Queen's is one of the prestigous univesities in Canada ... It is in a good location. The program has just started at Queen's (I think it is going into its 4th year) but at the same time it is based off a MSc in Epi program. There are no funding opportunties. CLASS SIZE OF 20!! SFU has a class size of approx. 40-60 and U Sask approx. 80. ... I guess that is an individual preference.

I got an E-mail from SFU that stated I was being offered admission and that an official offer would follow. I have yet to receive this official offer ... I don't think it is anything to worry about this point in time. I was offered admisson to th U Sask MPH program in January and I got the letter in March (2 months after the offer of admission was sent). I haven't receieved an official letter from Queen's either.

As for funding, only SFU and U Sask offer funding but you are considered for funding after you have accepted your offer of admission ... At least this is what I have been told by the universities.

If anyone has any isights that would be awesome, but I have a feeling that we are all in a similar situation in that we do not know where to go. I am leaning towards U Sask but I am concerned about the loaction ...

Does anyone know anyone in Public Health?? They would be a good person to talk to about which programs are good.

@Decaf:

So between Queen's and UofT Environmental and Occupational public health, which would you choose? I am just trying to get some ideas of pros and cons that I may have overlooked. Queen's has a very positive learning environment and very intimate atmosphere; I am completing my undergrad here and I am really going to miss the community if I leave; but I know that UofT may have more opportunity in the long term. :S

I appreciate all your input!

Pebbles

Queen's programs specializes in cancer epidemiology and things like smoking and environmental harzards that could cause cancer ... If you are interested in these things then Queen's is a good program.

@guelphmph2011:

which stream did you apply to UofT? I know that the epi there is quite popular, so the prestige is definitely something to think about. I think you're in a similar situation as me - I'm having difficulties choosing between Queens and UofT, but I did not choose epid at UofT. :S Good luck to both of us.

Pebbles

If you want higher grades go to the easier school, if you want well known school go to the more prestigious school. I think it's obvious which one is which. Big city vs university town. Both have their benefits. If you plan on doing a PhD or med school after you probably want higher grades. I don't know which one is "better" but whatever choice you make it will be the right one. Good luck.

i applied to u of t epi. and guelph is a general mph. also, my future goals includes med school . and later goals are being a physician/clinical researcher

@guelphmph2011:

which stream did you apply to UofT? I know that the epi there is quite popular, so the prestige is definitely something to think about. I think you're in a similar situation as me - I'm having difficulties choosing between Queens and UofT, but I did not choose epid at UofT. :S Good luck to both of us.

Pebbles

I'm in the same spot! I got the same email you did in mid-March, and I've been waiting to hear back since. I'm planning on accepting to SFU, so I'm glad to know that I'm in... but in the meantime deadlines are passing for my other opportunities for next year. I've already had to turn down programs at Alberta and BCIT.

It'd be great to get something formal and have some peace of mind. I'm making all of these arrangements to move this summer and I'd like to work out student aid and whatnot... but I'm not actually a student yet?

I emailed the FHS yesterday to ask about it. I'll update if I hear back.

Did anyone else accepted to SFU's program receive their official email offer from graduate studies yet or anything besides that initial email?

Does anyone know anybody who did the queens MPH? I tried contacting various current students, but to no avail :3

Or have heard any good/bad things and limitations about the program?

I'm in the same spot! I got the same email you did in mid-March, and I've been waiting to hear back since. I'm planning on accepting to SFU, so I'm glad to know that I'm in... but in the meantime deadlines are passing for my other opportunities for next year. I've already had to turn down programs at Alberta and BCIT.

It'd be great to get something formal and have some peace of mind. I'm making all of these arrangements to move this summer and I'd like to work out student aid and whatnot... but I'm not actually a student yet?

I emailed the FHS yesterday to ask about it. I'll update if I hear back.