MPH Programs in Canada

MPH_hopeful

@ SFU4MPH and SFUFTW

Thanks for all of the input. I'm finishing my undergrad at McGill, so I've had trouble learning about the finer points of the two programs since everyone over here is less familiar (they're all confused as to why I didn't apply to Toronto and leave it at that...). All I've been working on is course lists, Macleans, and knowing that SFU is accredited and that UBC has no intention to apply.

In fact, the main reason I've been favoring SFU is actually unrelated to the MPH. I'm finishing up a BA Geog, and SFU is really well known for their Geography program--especially as being cutting edge with applied Geographic Information Sciences (mapping, spatial analysis, etc.). SFU has been my front-runner because I made it clear in my app that I'd want to continue studying GIS and working in spatial epidemiology. I guess I was just trusting that, with an MPH from an accredited school and the intra-industry prestige of having done GIS at SFU in my electives, I'd be fine looking for jobs after.

It's just really good to hear that the FHS also has a good reputation. I was probably going to go for SFU anyway, but you've made me feel a lot better about my decision. :)

... now if only they'd send out the damn acceptances!

Edited by Anastasia HF

In that case, I say go to UofT. You can get some background training in the types of hazards and biological diseases or infections that commonly occur in workplaces as well as health regulations and policies. You don’t HAVE to work in the occupational public heath long term… you may pursue a different career if you want since you already have basic foundation in occupational health and safety and find a job where you can apply your knowledge and skills on a community/ global level… you can always build on the OEH degree and do a phd in epi or another masters in epi..

that's the thing - I do not really wish to work in occupational public health for the long term - I am more interested in infectious diseases and biological hazards that occur in the workplace and environment in general. I like the generalization of Queens MPH where it deals with many other streams of public health, but I am also not that interested in cancer epidemiology.... @_@

Forgive me if I'm wrong (I lost track of all the posts here lol) , but you got into UofT epid right? :) I hear that's a really good MPH stream at UofT! congrats :D

Pebbles

i know!!!! It's been driving me mad, but the email FHS sent to me said it would be sent by tomorrow! So I really hope they do! I need to get on my Student Aid stuff too... so this is becoming slightly annoying!

@ SFU4MPH and SFUFTW

Thanks for all of the input. I'm finishing my undergrad at McGill, so I've had trouble learning about the finer points of the two programs since everyone over here is less familiar (they're all confused as to why I didn't apply to Toronto and leave it at that...). All I've been working on is course lists, Macleans, and knowing that SFU is accredited and that UBC has no intention to apply.

In fact, the main reason I've been favoring SFU is actually unrelated to the MPH. I'm finishing up a BA Geog, and SFU is really well known for their Geography program--especially as being cutting edge with applied Geographic Information Sciences (mapping, spatial analysis, etc.). SFU has been my front-runner because I made it clear in my app that I'd want to continue studying GIS and working in spatial epidemiology. I guess I was just trusting that, with an MPH from an accredited school and the intra-industry prestige of having done GIS at SFU in my electives, I'd be fine looking for jobs after.

It's just really good to hear that the FHS also has a good reputation. I was probably going to go for SFU anyway, but you've made me feel a lot better about my decision. :)

... now if only they'd send out the damn acceptances!

So which one are you picking?

Just curious. .. Queens has a very good learning atmosphere. I am speaking from an undergrad's point of view since I'm completing my undergrad right now here at Queens. Of course I don't know much about the MPH either (or I won't be having so much trouble decidingbtwn here and UofT :() I also hear that the head of the MPH program here has a fairly good reputation in the public health arena... but that was only from one source, so not sure how credible that is...

Pebbles

U Sask or Queen's - ANY ADVICE!?!

I hae heard nothing but excellent things about U of A. When I was talking to people at U Sask I was told that U of A has the largest School of Public Health in Canada and is one of the oldest schools ... The program is established. I had considered applying to U of A (and U of T) but decided I didn't want to specialize and that I wanted to good understanding in all areas of public health. If you know what you want to do - epi - then U of A is a good university!!

Everyone here has to make so many difficult decisions.

@Heat:

I'm actually from SK and I think UofS would be a great school. It is cold here but you get use to it. Between prestige (Queens) and quality, I would go for quality every time. From my understanding Queens MPH is still fairly new and might still have some kinks to work out.

I actually had to choose between Queens and UofA myself and in the end, after talking to some managers at work who hire, they could care less about what University you graduated from. It's all about your skills set and experience.

On a side note, I fine it pretty great that UofS is giving funding, many of the bigger schools aren't for MPH.

@Strbrry:

I had my eye on UBC MPH as well. In the end though, I realized having an Epi designation was more important to me than living in an awesome city. I'm a little bias myself since I've settled on going to UofA, but I like how structured their program is (very similar to UofT), and they should be accredited by the time I graduate.

I kind of regret not applying for UofT seeing as how everyone speaks so highly of it and since they seem to have a very strong Epi stream, oh well.

Strbrry what was your GPA and background? I'm surprise you were wait listed at UofT but accepted (with funding) at UBC. UofT standards must be pretty intense.

I have been leaning towards U Sask and when I couldn't make a decision I did a coin toss with one of those Canadian Silver Dollars from eons ago with a best out of 3 ... U Sask won all three times and as silly as this sounds it confirmed my desire to go to U Sask ... There are alot of interesting coures offered such a Public Health Nutrition or a Special Topics Class in Emergency Pepardness and Disaster Response and focus in social epidemiology that appeal to me and what I think I want to do once I am finished. Plus tuition is cheaper at U Sask and there are opportunities for funding as well as to be a Research Assistat or Teaching Assistant in both 1st and 2nd Year which I am very very interested in. Plus it is close to AB so if I get lonely I can drive (granted it is 6-8 hours) home to visit family and friends ... The only thing I am not looking forward too is the cold winters. The only thing that may change my mind at this point is if SFU made an offer I couldn't turn down. Apparently, official letters go out tomorrow ... A lot of the comments on here have raised my opinion of SFU!!!!

Just curious. .. Queens has a very good learning atmosphere. I am speaking from an undergrad's point of view since I'm completing my undergrad right now here at Queens. Of course I don't know much about the MPH either (or I won't be having so much trouble decidingbtwn here and UofT :() I also hear that the head of the MPH program here has a fairly good reputation in the public health arena... but that was only from one source, so not sure how credible that is...

Pebbles

Hey M19,

I agree with you. I like how U of A's program is more structured than UBC and that it's an epi designation (at the same time, though, UBC does give you the option to tailor it to be a focused program by selecting epi electives). I am debating at the moment which is more important for a career in epi, the scholarship or the designation. May I ask what made you decide the designation is more important?

My GPA was not too high, but I've done research in different fields of epi and have some experience in infection control. I'm not surprised U of T waitlisted me though. I understand there are very few spots with many great applicants. There are times when it may be just a lottery when it comes down to the final bunch, so I consider the waitlisting to be an opportunity still.

Everyone here has to make so many difficult decisions.

@Heat:

I'm actually from SK and I think UofS would be a great school. It is cold here but you get use to it. Between prestige (Queens) and quality, I would go for quality every time. From my understanding Queens MPH is still fairly new and might still have some kinks to work out.

I actually had to choose between Queens and UofA myself and in the end, after talking to some managers at work who hire, they could care less about what University you graduated from. It's all about your skills set and experience.

On a side note, I fine it pretty great that UofS is giving funding, many of the bigger schools aren't for MPH.

@Strbrry:

I had my eye on UBC MPH as well. In the end though, I realized having an Epi designation was more important to me than living in an awesome city. I'm a little bias myself since I've settled on going to UofA, but I like how structured their program is (very similar to UofT), and they should be accredited by the time I graduate.

I kind of regret not applying for UofT seeing as how everyone speaks so highly of it and since they seem to have a very strong Epi stream, oh well.

Strbrry what was your GPA and background? I'm surprise you were wait listed at UofT but accepted (with funding) at UBC. UofT standards must be pretty intense.

I thought the accreditation was a nice "perk", although I would not have weighed a huge part of my decision on this. I think if you want to work internationally having the accreditation is important, some people are fairly sure they would liked to stay in Canada for the majority of their careers so it's not a huge issue.

For the most part I would prefer UofA or UofT (although I didn't apply here, I've never been fond of Toronto as a city) over a more general program because having that Epi designation might be important down the line. For example, when you apply for work, and they don't really know much about you yet, MPH in Epidemiology vs just MPH is slightly better. Of course in the end, experience is the key, if you have Epi experience (like you do), I don't think it really matters if you have the Epi title or not.

For me just starting out in my career, and having research experience but not Epi specific experience (I've been working in policy), I thought the Epi designation was important.

Hopefully you will get into UofT too and than you will really have difficult decision to make! Gosh they are slow with decisions though.

Edit: Lol I don't know why I wrote about accreditation for some reason I thought you asked about that...I should really go to bed, I'm clearly getting delirious.

Hey M19,

I agree with you. I like how U of A's program is more structured than UBC and that it's an epi designation (at the same time, though, UBC does give you the option to tailor it to be a focused program by selecting epi electives). I am debating at the moment which is more important for a career in epi, the scholarship or the designation. May I ask what made you decide the designation is more important?

My GPA was not too high, but I've done research in different fields of epi and have some experience in infection control. I'm not surprised U of T waitlisted me though. I understand there are very few spots with many great applicants. There are times when it may be just a lottery when it comes down to the final bunch, so I consider the waitlisting to be an opportunity still.

Edited by M19

seems healthy to me to discredit an entire city for no apparent reason

I thought the accreditation was a nice "perk", although I would not have weighed a huge part of my decision on this. I think if you want to work internationally having the accreditation is important, some people are fairly sure they would liked to stay in Canada for the majority of their careers so it's not a huge issue.

For the most part I would prefer UofA or UofT (although I didn't apply here, I've never been fond of Toronto as a city) over a more general program because having that Epi designation might be important down the line. For example, when you apply for work, and they don't really know much about you yet, MPH in Epidemiology vs just MPH is slightly better. Of course in the end, experience is the key, if you have Epi experience (like you do), I don't think it really matters if you have the Epi title or not.

For me just starting out in my career, and having research experience but not Epi specific experience (I've been working in policy), I thought the Epi designation was important.

Hopefully you will get into UofT too and than you will really have difficult decision to make! Gosh they are slow with decisions though.

Edit: Lol I don't know why I wrote about accreditation for some reason I thought you asked about that...I should really go to bed, I'm clearly getting delirious.

U of T has had a program for longer ... Don't they make you specialize in an area like Epi or Health Promotion? Is that of interest to you?

Pebbles

I am in the exact same position as you (except for one "tiny" difference)-- I've been accepted at USask and SFU and am leaning towards USask but just waiting on the official acceptance from SFU to see what they will offer. I was actually in Saskatoon in February and spoke with the director and assistant director. They seem to really be pushing for accreditation for the program and so it is constantly undergoing changes--which can be positive (keeps getting "better") or negative (not very consistent). May I ask what you finished your undergrad in?

I have been leaning towards U Sask and when I couldn't make a decision I did a coin toss with one of those Canadian Silver Dollars from eons ago with a best out of 3 ... U Sask won all three times and as silly as this sounds it confirmed my desire to go to U Sask ... There are alot of interesting coures offered such a Public Health Nutrition or a Special Topics Class in Emergency Pepardness and Disaster Response and focus in social epidemiology that appeal to me and what I think I want to do once I am finished. Plus tuition is cheaper at U Sask and there are opportunities for funding as well as to be a Research Assistat or Teaching Assistant in both 1st and 2nd Year which I am very very interested in. Plus it is close to AB so if I get lonely I can drive (granted it is 6-8 hours) home to visit family and friends ... The only thing I am not looking forward too is the cold winters. The only thing that may change my mind at this point is if SFU made an offer I couldn't turn down. Apparently, official letters go out tomorrow ... A lot of the comments on here have raised my opinion of SFU!!!!

HI everyone!

Its really great to hear everyones comments and perspectives on the different schools. Sadly I didnt apply to SFU and UBC. But I did apply to USask and I am accepted there and Waterloo.

My only dilemma is that waterloo is online and I dont think anyone here applied to Waterloo. At the time of applying I thought online was a good option because you can work and start your career early and study at your own pace.

But when I talked to professors and TAs and other people, I get mixed messages about studying online or going the traditional way. I have until monday to accept/decline.

Also, I applied to USask..but the only thing is distance. Ideally I would like to go to UofT for health promotion, but they dont let you know until end of april and chances of getting in are low anyway.

Any thoughts? Or anyone in the same boat?

Thanks!

Are you from Toronto?

I am also waiting to hear from U of T but my plans are to move out West especially having done my undergrad at U of T- I need change!

USask is far but I really think it would be more beneficial than an online program especially if you are not yet in the field. I am no expert but I think online programs benefit people who are already working and would like to pursue advanced degrees-- the online program probably provides them with a little bit more flexibility especially in terms of where they are situated.

Let me know if you decided on USask!

HI everyone!

Its really great to hear everyones comments and perspectives on the different schools. Sadly I didnt apply to SFU and UBC. But I did apply to USask and I am accepted there and Waterloo.

My only dilemma is that waterloo is online and I dont think anyone here applied to Waterloo. At the time of applying I thought online was a good option because you can work and start your career early and study at your own pace.

But when I talked to professors and TAs and other people, I get mixed messages about studying online or going the traditional way. I have until monday to accept/decline.

Also, I applied to USask..but the only thing is distance. Ideally I would like to go to UofT for health promotion, but they dont let you know until end of april and chances of getting in are low anyway.

Thanks!

Hey stars7,

I'm the same with D0M. I don't know too much about online programs, but what stopped me from applying to online programs was that I wanted real interactions and to get to know the people in the field. That's one of the main factors I'm using to make my decision on where I want to go.

HI everyone!

Thanks!

Hey SFU'ers and potential SFU'ers....

Maybe we should call the faculty and make sure official offers get sent out today? A lot of us have to make decisions regarding where we're going ASAP... and this is a tad ridiculous. Thoughts?
0http://forum.thegradcafe.com/public/style_images/master/add.pnghttp://forum.thegradcafe.com/public/style_images/master/delete.png

seems healthy to me to discredit an entire city for no apparent reason

No, no I didn't mean to bash Toronto or anything. I am just not one for big cities and Toronto is definitely a big city. The 401 is crazy to drive in and the cost of living quite high. It all depends on what you are looking for. I think it would be a really great city to live in for many people!

Can't agree more. My main deciding factor is also the interaction I'll be getting at the institute and who those interactions will be with.

Hey stars7,

I'm the same with D0M. I don't know too much about online programs, but what stopped me from applying to online programs was that I wanted real interactions and to get to know the people in the field. That's one of the main factors I'm using to make my decision on where I want to go.

Congrats on getting a scholarship and being ranked so high at UBC. May I ask how much the scholarship was for?

Hey, I am not the original poster, but am among those accepted to UBC with scholarship. Mine was for just under 5000, so not that much considering living expenses!

I was told by UBC that they offered scholarships to their top 5 students, but I wasn't told how much those scholarships are. Does anyone know?

Did anyone apply/get accepted to McGill? How many students does U of T accept in their epi specialization?

I was accepted to McGill and know of one other person who was as well. There is a rolling waitlist, with a deadline to accept offers by the end of the month, after which they will presumably email more people (assuming there is space, but many will probably take Toronto if they get it, and Toronto accepts people into May).

Hey SFU4MPH,

I have a friend who got accepted to the new MScPH @ McGill, and has taken the offer. I know someone else who got waitlisted there and is waiting to hear back. My friend who chose McGill said that one reason why she made the choice was that she was told that they're applying for accreditation (and once it's approved, it's valid for graduates up to 3 years back).

Also, if you don't mind me asking (I just got an email from UBC saying that I may receive a spot in the next few days), what tipped you towards SFU over UBC? I'm leaning that way as well, but since it's kind of hard to find info about the programs beyond the general FAQs, I'm still a little bit tentative.

Same question, I guess, for anyone else making that choice.

Hey Stasia;)

Are you certain that the CEPH accreditation is retroactive? I imagine you are...it just seems odd that that would be the case. I had no idea about that.

Long time obsessive lurker here. Thanks to everyone for the great information and discussion!

McGill: Does anyone know more details of the program beyond obviously what is available on the website? I hear they are pursuing CEPH accreditation, which is a nice perk I suppose, although I have no intention to move to the US. Does anyone know if their practicums are paid or stipended like at UBC? Also, does anyone know if you can TA outside of the department (assuming of course, that you have completed and excelled in those courses in undergrad). Obviously the school is great, but what are people's thoughts on McGill's new MSc.PH program vis-a-vis other programs? I know it's 'new' but it's basically a re-brand of their MSc. Epidemiology (non-thesis) so it's in fact quite established.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the info. Just getting a scholarship for a professional degree (anywhere, including UBC) is quite an accomplishment in Canada. Most go to PhDs or research masters. You must have quite the impressive CV?? Congrats (even if you decline it). Which uni are you leaning towards? I'm assuming you must have accepted or declined UBC's offer by now? They wanted me to let them know a month ago, but extended it a bit.

Hey, I am not the original poster, but am among those accepted to UBC with scholarship. Mine was for just under 5000, so not that much considering living expenses!

Try to chill. We're all in the same boat (I'm assuming). We'll bombard them Monday if we haven't heard anything by then.

OKAY I'm officially done checking my email compulsively every 3 seconds to see if I got the email.. UGH. CMON SFU.

I think it's a mixture of my final tonight and 2 papers to write this weekend lol along with my OCD tendency to check

Try to chill. We're all in the same boat (I'm assuming). We'll bombard them Monday if we haven't heard anything by then.