MPH Programs in Canada

MPH_hopeful

In terms of reputation UBC is a big name university but the program is relatively new. SFU is a good university though. In terms of less statistics I think your best bet would be SFU as the course descriptions tell you it is about understanding statistics as opposed to doing the statistics itself. UBC's program is based off the thesis-based program so may include more stat's.

hello guys .... good to see so many MPH enthusiasts

I hope you guys can help me

I am an international student and have acceptances from UBC and SFU

SFU has offered me a scholarship as well

I am interested in the global health stream

where should I go

my preferences are

1) good reputation (at least enough to secure a job for as a fresh graduate 2) cost

3) less statistics

I have a clinical background

Yeah Heat is right, UBC has a better world-wide reputation generally speaking. I just meant it has a better rep in Public Health and particularly in Global Health.

In terms of reputation UBC is a big name university but the program is relatively new. SFU is a good university though. In terms of less statistics I think your best bet would be SFU as the course descriptions tell you it is about understanding statistics as opposed to doing the statistics itself. UBC's program is based off the thesis-based program so may include more stat's.

So I was just skimming through Queen's MPH website and it seems like the "field trips" and placements are "based in either a local or regional". This is from their website description and their list of field trip locations. Perhaps you should email the Program Director for Queen's MPH program to inquire about their practicum or contact the list of students they have posted on the MPH website to see what they have to say about their practicum experience.

Like you said, I too feel UofT students get better placements, not only because of their location, but also the School's connections with other organizations and agencies... So networking may be an advantage for you. I know when I was doing my placement at the City of Toronto, they had a student from UofT's MPH OEH program complete her placement there... and she got to know a lot of the senior staff working in various fields of Public Health in the city.

Maybe the location of the school and where you live might be able to help you decide as well? If you're a perm resident in Kingston, and you're more interested in the courses Queens has to offer, then I'd say go with Queens. Or if you're from the GTA region, maybe UofT might be a better choice (although they may not offer your ideal courses), the change in academic environment may open more doors for you in the future..

I am completing a life sciences undergrad here at queens with a research component; i'm still not sure whether to accept Queens MPH program. It is a generalized MPH so it does not specialize into streams like UofT. They have courses that target different areas of PH such as health promotion, health policy, epid, etc.; however I want to see where students go for their practicum, because I feel that UofT students may get better practicum just because of their location. I just want to compare before I accept either.

Pebbles

@Niceguy,

yeah feels like toronto has more options :3 and i am from toronto as well. I tried to contact several current students but wasn't successful :( However, my current supervisor at queens is a public health official and she did suggest a couple of times that she can set me up with practicum in toronto if I stay at queens - so it is quite enticing for me ! This is the other reason why I am considering Queens.. what do you think?

Pebbles

PS Where are you going next year? (or applid to?) :)

So I was just skimming through Queen's MPH website and it seems like the "field trips" and placements are "based in either a local or regional". This is from their website description and their list of field trip locations. Perhaps you should email the Program Director for Queen's MPH program to inquire about their practicum or contact the list of students they have posted on the MPH website to see what they have to say about their practicum experience.

Like you said, I too feel UofT students get better placements, not only because of their location, but also the School's connections with other organizations and agencies... So networking may be an advantage for you. I know when I was doing my placement at the City of Toronto, they had a student from UofT's MPH OEH program complete her placement there... and she got to know a lot of the senior staff working in various fields of Public Health in the city.

Maybe the location of the school and where you live might be able to help you decide as well? If you're a perm resident in Kingston, and you're more interested in the courses Queens has to offer, then I'd say go with Queens. Or if you're from the GTA region, maybe UofT might be a better choice (although they may not offer your ideal courses), the change in academic environment may open more doors for you in the future..

This is the 1st year that McGill is offering an MPH program so the only people that would have answers to yoru questions is McGill. Call the department and ask your questions. I have called in the past and the people that work there are usually helpful.

As I mentioned in my posting, the 'new' MSc.PH in fact a re-branding of their MSc. Epidemiology (non-thesis), so I am hoping there may be current students who read my posting, or prospective students who have heard about those details of the program about which I am curious.

Hey Pebbles,

If your supervisor can ensure/guarantee you a placement in toronto (sounds like you really want to complete your practicum there), then by all means, Queens is probably your best choice.

I got accepted to UofT's OEH program, so I'll be attending in the fall, maybe I'll see you there if you decide to accept UofT's offer. My main reason for picking UofT over the other schools is mainly because it's an established school and connections with other large organization, departments and agencies within the realm of public health. The school is also quite well-known for its MPH program... so reputation is something I consider important in regards to attending a professional school... (not saying Queen's isn't a reputable school, just that UofT's MPH program has been around much longer). I didn't do my undergrad at UofT so I'm looking forward to a change in the academic scene. Like stated earlier, I also feel that UofT may offer better placements and Toronto is ideally where I want to work (at least when I start out) once I've completed the program. I chose the OEH program in particular because I'm interested in workplace health and safety.. more specifically dealing with the business aspect of H&S.. so I may actually do an MBA later on in my life... but that's a whole other story..

Whatever decision you make, I'm sure it will be the right one for you... I did recall someone say in previous posts that Queen's MPH program is more focused towards cancer epi? Is that something you're interested in?

Also, I'm not sure if there's a facebook group for UofT's/Queens Public Health programs... but if they do, maybe you could contact some from there to get a better perspective of what both schools have to offer. I know there are a few UofT facebook groups for different professional programs such as physiotherapy or pharmacy geared towards answering questions and sharing their experiences in the program. Hope this helps!

@Niceguy,

yeah feels like toronto has more options :3 and i am from toronto as well. I tried to contact several current students but wasn't successful :( However, my current supervisor at queens is a public health official and she did suggest a couple of times that she can set me up with practicum in toronto if I stay at queens - so it is quite enticing for me ! This is the other reason why I am considering Queens.. what do you think?

Pebbles

PS Where are you going next year? (or applid to?) :)

Edited by NiceGuy

Oh how exciting! :D I finally found someone in the same stream as me! :) lol it just seemed like everybody in this forum was into epid or health promotion at uoft.

I think I'm still leaning towards uoft for similar reasons as you though; I'm getting ready to send in the acceptance documents and apply for res... hmm

I may probably see you in september! (:

Pebbles

Hey Pebbles,

If your supervisor can ensure/guarantee you a placement in toronto (sounds like you really want to complete your practicum there), then by all means, Queens is probably your best choice.

I got accepted to UofT's OEH program, so I'll be attending in the fall, maybe I'll see you there if you decide to accept UofT's offer. My main reason for picking UofT over the other schools is mainly because it's an established school and connections with other large organization, departments and agencies within the realm of public health. The school is also quite well-known for its MPH program... so reputation is something I consider important in regards to attending a professional school... (not saying Queen's isn't a reputable school, just that UofT's MPH program has been around much longer). I didn't do my undergrad at UofT so I'm looking forward to a change in the academic scene. Like stated earlier, I also feel that UofT may offer better placements and Toronto is ideally where I want to work (at least when I start out) once I've completed the program. I chose the OEH program in particular because I'm interested in workplace health and safety.. more specifically dealing with the business aspect of H&S.. so I may actually do an MBA later on in my life... but that's a whole other story..

Whatever decision you make, I'm sure it will be the right one for you... I did recall someone say in previous posts that Queen's MPH program is more focused towards cancer epi? Is that something you're interested in?

Also, I'm not sure if there's a facebook group for UofT's/Queens Public Health programs... but if they do, maybe you could contact some from there to get a better perspective of what both schools have to offer. I know there are a few UofT facebook groups for different professional programs such as physiotherapy or pharmacy geared towards answering questions and sharing their experiences in the program. Hope this helps!

From SFU's FAQs:

Can I have my admission deferred?

All requests for deferrals should be directed to the graduate program coordinator. In the past, the granting of deferrals has depended on the recommendation made by the admissions committee, and is based in part on the number of admissions and quality of applications

I didn't see anything when I glanced at the UBC site... but i'm sure it's similar--a case by case sort of deal.

Another Question,

Can we defer these offers to 2012??

Can we take a semester off???

universities in question UBC and SFU

Hello everyone,

I applied to the MPH programs at Guelph and U of T. I was accepted at Guelph, but haven't heard from U of T yet. Judging by this thread...I don't think I got in :(

I suppose if I was waitlisted they would have notified me, right?

It was an open-house type of event for the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology. Sounded like a good event because there were faculty and students to answer questions.... plus they would have paid for travel and food (free food!)

There ws a Queen's thing yesterday? What was it?

I need some perspective from people who are in/have graduated from U of T MPH in health promo or SFU MPH in Global Health. What was your experience like? Where do you plan to go in your career after, and do you think the school has positively impacted your ability to reach your career goals?

I can't decide between the two programs. Any advice would be helpful

wow. sucks coz i am finishing up at queens... but i never heard of this event.. -_-

Pebbles

It was an open-house type of event for the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology. Sounded like a good event because there were faculty and students to answer questions.... plus they would have paid for travel and food (free food!)

Unfortunately, it's only MPH wannabes who are on here (generally).

I need some perspective from people who are in/have graduated from U of T MPH in health promo or SFU MPH in Global Health. What was your experience like? Where do you plan to go in your career after, and do you think the school has positively impacted your ability to reach your career goals?

I can't decide between the two programs. Any advice would be helpful

Have any of my SFU future colleagues received FORMAL letters from the Dean's office with information about paying the $250 deposit? If not, would you kindly post when you do receive the letters? I will do the same when I receive mine.

SCHOLARSHIPS for ALL SCHOOLS?

Previously some people on the list have mentioned that they received scholarships (between $3000 - $5,000) from UBC.

Has anyone from other schools received scholarships? And if so, for how much? Just curious.

Hey,

I haven't received my formal letter yet either.. I'm actually starting to become slightly impatient with SFU to be honest. We received notice almost 2 months ago and nothing has really changed yet. I'll definietly post when I get my formal letter yet. As far as scholarships, generally the MPH programs have very little fundings :(

Previously some people on the list have mentioned that they received scholarships (between $3000 - $5,000) from UBC.

Has anyone from other schools received scholarships? And if so, for how much? Just curious.

I was offered $2000 from Alberta and a tuition waiver from McGill (although it isn't much, since I'm a Quebec resident - about 3 grand). Nothing from UofT obviously since I'm waitlisted. I think I'll be attending McGill.

Hey,

I haven't received my formal letter yet either.. I'm actually starting to become slightly impatient with SFU to be honest. We received notice almost 2 months ago and nothing has really changed yet.

Agreed. I just got off the waitlist at UBC, and now I'm considering it all over again. Part of that is my frustration with SFU's process. I mean... I got into UVic last week and got official forms in the mail this week. After I'd declined the offer.

I'm making loads and loads of pro and con lists to try and figure out what to do. Until I have to sign forms and make a deposit for SFU, I feel like I have the right to change my mind.

Congrats on UBC and UVic! It's good (but somewhat stressful) to have choices. When I was trying to decide between UBC and SFU I did up a table too. I have to admit SFU is a bit slooooowww. But as long as we're in the same boat, I'm okay with that.

My advice - go with your heart/gut. Either one (UBC or SFU) is a great choice. And until you have to put your money down, don't rush.

It's too bad there's isn't more funding out there for MPHers. Most universities favour the research students.wink.gif

All the best to EVERY new MPH student out there! Cheers.

Agreed. I just got off the waitlist at UBC, and now I'm considering it all over again. Part of that is my frustration with SFU's process. I mean... I got into UVic last week and got official forms in the mail this week. After I'd declined the offer.

I'm making loads and loads of pro and con lists to try and figure out what to do. Until I have to sign forms and make a deposit for SFU, I feel like I have the right to change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

To my fellow SFUers:

I finally received the formal offer from the SFU's Director of Graduate Admissions and Records. It had the link to pay the deposit ($250). Just thought I'd post this to alert anyone who hasn't received it that it should be coming soon.

Cheers.

Awesome! Other future public health people! I wish I'd found this forum a few months ago.

It looks like some of you guys applied to U of T's program. I'm wondering how many of you have heard something ... anything. I applied to the health promotion stream with a focus in global health (so popular), but I'm still waiting. They website suggests that we should have a written answer by June 1st, so that would mean the decision should be made by now (May 13th), and yet the website still says that my file is under review...?

Do they wait until the last minute to send out the rejection letters? Or am I likely on a wait list? At this point I'm assuming that I did not get in and I am probably going to accept the offer I got from the University of Montreal, but I'm still carrying hope that I may have been accepted to U of T (the program is more appropriate to my interests and it's in English!).

Also, anyone know what the acceptance rates are for U of T? Just curious.

Anyone here going to U of Montreal this Fall?