MPH Programs in Canada

MPH_hopeful

Hi all,

I am currently doing my undergrad (Bachelor of Science) at UofA, and I'll be graduating in 2013. I am looking towards pursuing an MPH degree in a Canadian School but my GPA is currently not as high as required. Do you have any advice on what I should do to upgrade my GPA and what is the minimum GPA these grad schools would accept?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I hope you see this message! 

The U of T program is really truly course based. I am currently in Epi and had classes of 90 people. It is an undergrad style program. You really need to dig your heels in and find opportunities and connections, because they are a disorganized MPH factory that is not very concerned about the learning experience. 

If you are thinking of U of T, you should also know that the admissions rate is about to double, leading to even larger classes. This is because they want to make more jobs for PhD students (as told to me by a faculty member). This is NOT because they have the capacity, as even now they cannot afford the software required for some courses (STATA or ArcGIS). 

If you just want the letters, go for it. And yeah, the school is well connected. ut it si hard ot make good on those connections as one of 260 people in the MPH program. I just wish someone would have told me that the class style would be call and response into a crowd, just like undergrad. 

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm an international student from Nigeria hoping to study MPH in Canada, i came accross this thread just by random search. I would really appreciate some help(from both current, past and prospective students) about the best schools to apply to as well as their pros and cons as i'm totally new to the Canadian schooling system.

Also I read something about the schools that are internationally certified, help on that would be appreciated also.

Thank you all so much, I hope i get a reply soon!

Adeshayo

• 8 months later...

I'm currently in the Waterloo MPH program. And I WISHED I had people to talk to about the program before entering.

I really like it so far! What's nice is that the program starts with a 2 week "on campus" experience (they pay for you to stay in Waterloo if you'd like). And you get to meet all of your classmates and participate in a bunch of group activities to get adjusted to the program.

It's great because now I know my classmates. So when we work in an online setting - it's much more comfortable. I believe Lakehead is COMPLETELY online. That's what really made me choose Waterloo. Similarly, at the end of the program, we end with a "capstone" course, where we get to stay on campus again for 2 weeks to work with our classmates on a final project and celebrate together.

I'm really liking the courses so far. Just biostats was very difficult - but we get a lot of support from classmates and the profs. I skype regularly with classmates and we also have Whatsapp groups to keep us in contact.

It's been great so far. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Waterloo MPH or Lakehead MPH?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey guys, I was just wondering about the minimum GPA requirements for Canadian programs. How strict are they? Has anyone gotten into programs despite not meeting their GPA requirement?

My GPA is under 3.5 and a lot of the programs require B+ or >75%. I'm really worried about my GPA not meeting cutoffs since I don't have a lot of research/work experience to make up for it. If I exclude the option of taking a year off for research/work experience etc for now, and considering my GPA which programs should I not even bother applying to, and more importantly which program will I have a better chance of getting into? I'm really worried since I would like to know which programs I should focus applying to for this year and l'd really appreciate any advice or thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

Hey all! 

I was lurking this thread, and it's been really useful for me, so thank you all for contributing! 

For those that attended/are attending McGill, how are you liking the program? I received my acceptance to the school, however there doesn't seem to be much information about the program, other than whats on their website! 

On 2/28/2016 at 9:40 AM, CL123 said:

Hey all! 

I was lurking this thread, and it's been really useful for me, so thank you all for contributing! 

For those that attended/are attending McGill, how are you liking the program? I received my acceptance to the school, however there doesn't seem to be much information about the program, other than whats on their website! 

Hi all!

I am too looking for the feedback regarding  McGill MSc (Public Health) program from existing or previous students. Please provide the info. It will be of much use to me.

Thanks in advance!!!

On 2/9/2013 at 9:27 AM, epistudent said:

The U of T program is really truly course based. I am currently in Epi and had classes of 90 people. It is an undergrad style program. You really need to dig your heels in and find opportunities and connections, because they are a disorganized MPH factory that is not very concerned about the learning experience. 

If you are thinking of U of T, you should also know that the admissions rate is about to double, leading to even larger classes. This is because they want to make more jobs for PhD students (as told to me by a faculty member). This is NOT because they have the capacity, as even now they cannot afford the software required for some courses (STATA or ArcGIS). 

If you just want the letters, go for it. And yeah, the school is well connected. ut it si hard ot make good on those connections as one of 260 people in the MPH program. I just wish someone would have told me that the class style would be call and response into a crowd, just like undergrad. 

Is that just the epi program? What about Health Promotion. Damn.

On 2/9/2013 at 10:27 AM, epistudent said:

Wow, how do you know the epi admissions rate is doubling? Has this already been implemented? I wonder how many people will be admitted this year..

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2012 at 4:22 PM, DMO said:

Hi all,

I am currently doing my undergrad (Bachelor of Science) at UofA, and I'll be graduating in 2013. I am looking towards pursuing an MPH degree in a Canadian School but my GPA is currently not as high as required. Do you have any advice on what I should do to upgrade my GPA and what is the minimum GPA these grad schools would accept?

Thanks

Hi, did you end up getting into an MPH Program? If yes, What steps did you take?

Thanks