Sciences Po

joshc618

After reading the reply from many people, I really do not understand what is going on with my application. I have applied to International Economic Policy as well. I submitted the application in the beginning of March along with scholarship application. After that, I just got an email from them at the end of April for not submitting any documents after that. Many people mentioned here about getting the email about "validation of documents", "the application is admissible or not" and "the decision of acceptance/rejection".... I have not yet got any of the email about the status of documents, application admissible or not. I will call them for the matter and would like to know about the decision soon.

Good, I hope?

I received an email from the admission office about 2 days ago that the decision is delayed until early June. God helps them (or me lolz).

Ha no. But maybe this is good news if you're still waiting. I could see them putting together their aid packages at the moment.

Ha no. But maybe this is good news if you're still waiting. I could see them putting together their aid packages at the moment.

I was little curious as you are located in Paris. How do you know about the AID packages? Is it true that people who have been declined an admission, are notified earlier?

I called today and they told me that the final jury will meet on May 31st so we should hear news after that, as someone above already said.

Final jury in regards to admissions decisions, scholarship decisions, or both? Hopefully it's soon, this has been a loooong wait.

Final jury in regards to admissions decisions, scholarship decisions, or both? Hopefully it's soon, this has been a loooong wait.

I imagine it is for both. My question was directly referred to the Emile Boutmy scholarship but I guess this cannot be offered without admissions first. And indeed... this has been a ridiculously long wait.

hey...i applied to the psia human rights and humanitarian assistance program back in april. i got an email in mid-may stating that they received my transcripts and letters of recommendation and i was wondering around when i should hear back from them. it's been a really long wait and i'm getting really, really anxious. thanks.

Hi,

I also applied rather late (end of march) and got and email that my application was complete around the 10 may. They informed me two days ago that my application was admissible and that they were going to decide and inform me asap. After I asked them for an approximate date I was told to get a final decision around the end of June.

So I think, as you can read in this thread, they are just really slow. On the other hand they replied quite quickly to my mails so you can also just write or call them to at least get a general idea of where your application is in the whole process right now.

wow...that sucks because i need to decide soon whether to take this job offer or not...

well, my academics and credentials weren't impressive at all and considering the large number of applicants, i'll just assume that i wasn't accepted and take the job???

I'll be going to Sciences Po later this year.

While my emails to Accueil Administratif have mostly gone unanswered, they've been fantastic over the phone.

Yes, the process is slow and absurdly disorganized, but things do keep moving. Do call them with your concerns; you might find that what's *actually* expected of you or how something is done varies quite a bit with what you read on the website.

• 3 weeks later...

hi

is there any italian student who has been admitted?? i'm planning to apply next year to the master degree in international public management and i need advice on some issues, in particular i would like to have some information on the profile of the average student admitted (which was his average grade at the undergraduate degree, it is necessary to have a working experience to be admitted?, how many references is advisible to have?..). i have read the minimum requirements on sciences po's site but i would like to know which was the situation of people who have been admitted.

any adivice by anyone who has been admitted would be usefull

thanks

• 2 years later...

k so this is an old thread but I'm wondering if anyone of you are still around and can help me out. 

Essentially trying to figure out how competitive the scholarship is, as I won't be able to attend without it.

Positives:

I graduated with a 3.89 GPA from McGill University (Montreal, Canada)

Spent the past year working for two different community based human rights organizations in Burma (i'm applying for the human rights stream)

At least one of my two academic references should be quite strong

I can get two very strong additional professional references

Negatives:

No second language

Family background - my parents are divorced, but my dad is a doctor (mom is semi employed social worker), so not sure if my dads income would rule me out? 

Deadline for application is a week from today (I applied to some other programs in the fall but somehow this one fell through the cracks and I just became aware of it - which means I'd have to reach out to my referees with only a week for them to submit, which I'm quite hesitant to do because I think it is quite unprofessional. I also may not be able to get my moms tax returns within the next week.)

So with that being said, if I have a reasonable shot at the scholarship I will bite the bullet and reach out to my professors. But if I am totally punching below my weight with regards to the scholarship then it isnt worth me compromising my good standing with the profs and wasting money and time on the application. I have found it extremely hard to find any concrete info online about the scholarship. For documentation: if I can't get my moms tax returns, am I disqualified? How much does family background come into play? I have four siblings, two of which are in University (paid by my dad) and one of which still lives at home, so there is no money coming my way from them. Not sure how to best convey this info. 

So if you have received the scholarship, I would love to know your profile so that I can see if I have a shot. Or if you got rejected, same thing. And any advice regarding the specific documents that would meet all of their requirements would be great.

And yes, I know it is ridiculous that I am doing the entire application with a week to go. Sometimes thats just the way things work out. 

Thanks!

I'm not an expert with Sciences Po's scholarship process, so I can't really "chance" you for it, but I'll weigh in regardless. First of all, your stats are good, so I see no reason why you wouldn't be at least qualified to receive a scholarship (as a side-note, I don't see why your parents tax returns necessarily factor into it? When I applied, I gave them my own tax information. My memory of the process might be a bit off, but I remember being told that it was fine/appropriate for me to submit my own tax info).

That being said, competition for funding for American applicants is very fierce, because funds are not so readily available for them. I imagine it would be similar for Canadians (assuming you are Canadian). Scholarships are always a gamble, so I wouldn't necessarily make the decision to apply based on that. That being said, Sciences Po isn't known for being overly generous. You never know though, because Sciences Po is pretty opaque (and in my opinion, disorganized) in their admissions/financial aid process. So if you are interested in them, I don't see the harm in applying in order to at least find out

Edited by WinterSolstice

Wow that was quick, thanks a lot for weighing in and congrats on JH. Not really sure about the tax info stuff as well, but on the scholarship website it says that you need to submit information such as both parents tax receipts, divorce certificate (?), etc. But it was unclear about which of these were mandatory and which were optional. 

And yes, definitely a gamble. Just wanted to make sure it was closer to blackjack than slot machines. And I agree with you on the American/Canadian aspect; although they don't mention it, I do get the feeling that a lot of the funding is directed towards individuals from less affluent societies in order to ensure they get people from a broad spectrum.

Also, @wintersolstice, any thoughts on requesting recommendation letters with only a week to spare? Both have written letters for me before, so they have something on file already. But I still am hesitant.

To be honest, you would probably have a better sense of dealing with your recommenders than I would. I've never had any difficulty procuring recommendation letters on short notice, especially if they were on file before, but I guess it would depend on your relationship with them. I would just ask politely and see what they say. I can't imagine them saying no. Just be sure to send a nice thank you note/gift afterwards.