Page headers in the SOP

Hi!

Another question. I want to put page headers (that's how they are apparently called...) in my statement of purpose and writing sample.

Should I write the name of the university there? How is it better to arrange all things in the header?

"University of ******, Statement of Purpose by Strangefox---------------------page 1"?

or

"Statement of Purpose, Strangefox--------------------------------------------------page 1"?

or

"Strangefox: Statement of Purpose,--------------------------------------------------page 1"?

Also, can I and should I use bold or italics there?

("--------------------" won't be there, it's just to show the space between the two parts of the header)

Thanks!

I did mine this way:

------------------------Full Name page 1

------------------------Full Name page 2

The already know the name of the university if they are reading your application. They probably also know it's a statement of purpose.

My page headers included the document name (e.g., Statement of Purpose), my name, and the program (most departments had several programs). I put the page number centered on the bottom. For example:

Statement of Purpose • Repatriate • Underwater Lemming Breeding

[sOP text]

[sOP text]

[sOP text]

[sOP text]

Sometimes programs specify what exactly they want in the header so you should look out for that. I've seen some people also state what program they are applying to, i.e. PhD or MS.

I put: <document name, my name, Ling PhD program@university of X> in the header, <page number X out of Y> centered in the footer.

I am sure the adcom members know their program's name but it helped make sure I didn't get my documents mixed up (or the grad secretary, or whoever else handled them at the grad school), so I don't think it was superfluous.

If there is no specific instructions on the department webpage, anything you put will be just fine.

Edited by fuzzylogician

• 2 years later...

FWIW, my header was aligned right and said: Sigaba: Statement of Purpose.

The footer was: Page x of y.

The best SOP I ever wrote had a title that captured the essence of the document's narrative thrust.

HTH.