Ann Arbor, MI

Guest wolverine

Does anyone have an idea about the 820 Fuller street apartments? I may sign a lease overseas, and, although the place looks good on photos, I wonder if there is any negative aspect that I cannot see at the moment? It is run by A2 management, so I am wondering if this is a good/reliable company?

Does anyone have an idea about the 820 Fuller street apartments? I may sign a lease overseas, and, although the place looks good on photos, I wonder if there is any negative aspect that I cannot see at the moment? It is run by A2 management, so I am wondering if this is a good/reliable company?

I've never been or had any interaction with A2 management but the price may be cheaper because it isn't in a very good location. That apartment isn't too far from the nursing school, med school, and Rackham, but it isn't very close to city stuff and is in a slightly obscure neighborhood. I would bet that a fair amount of grad students would be living there.

I'm moving to Ann Arbor for my master's in Asian (Chinese) Studies and have no  idea what the "good" apartment areas are (I'm from North Carolina)- I see that someone above mentioned Kerrytown. I did look into the university's off campus housing resource, but it didn't seem to have thaaaat many options and didn't have reviews, so I don't know how good the apartments/houses mentioned actually are.

Is it possible to find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $800/month? Any advice as to places to look into? My main concern is safety (and preferably close to grocery, etc) rather than a place right next to the university, since I plan to bring my car. Any advice would be great and much appreciated!!

I'm moving to Ann Arbor for my master's in Asian (Chinese) Studies and have no  idea what the "good" apartment areas are (I'm from North Carolina)- I see that someone above mentioned Kerrytown. I did look into the university's off campus housing resource, but it didn't seem to have thaaaat many options and didn't have reviews, so I don't know how good the apartments/houses mentioned actually are.

Is it possible to find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $800/month? Any advice as to places to look into? My main concern is safety (and preferably close to grocery, etc) rather than a place right next to the university, since I plan to bring my car. Any advice would be great and much appreciated!!

Congrats I have a friend doing their MA in that same program it seems great!

Kerrytown is a great area and very grad student - lots of families live there too, its pretty hip but quiet.  Kerrytown is also incredibly safe.  Anywhere in Kerrytown is around a 10-15 minute walk to campus and the houses are gorgeous.  It is certainly possible to find a room for that much - you can also try the Co-Ops, many of which are in Kerrytown.  I would recommend looking into Wickfield Properties, Oxford Companies, and Old Town Realty, among others, if you want to live in Kerrytown.

However, I will say that living on the other side of campus is fine too, and usually a bit cheaper.  I lived in both areas are both are great, but the area like, South/Southeast of campus is more of the party area and can be loud on the weekends, but not horrible. I will say though, that it isn't as safe.  When I lived there my house got broken into once and there were a couple of random scary events, but not anything insane I guess (go to Detroit for that).  A lot of professors live over that way and there are some nice places.  Realty companies that would be helpful for that are like, Arch Realty, Dan's Houses, Campus Realty, etc.  Also Craigslist has tons of stuff too, of course.  

I'm reposting this because I never got a response.  Hope you gals/guys can help!

What's the best resource to look for housing? Craigslist seems saturated with ads for those huge apartment complexes. I'm looking to rent a duplex/condo/house (at least a 2 bedroom) ~4 miles from campus.

Edited by microarray

It's certainly possible to find something in "the Ann Arbor area" for less than that. It really depends on what you're looking for. It's hard to find things with reviews because it's not like Ann Arbor has a lot of large apartment complexes. If you're looking for large complexes, there are plenty in the area that offer free parking within that budget, but they are going to be a bit further away or in Ypsilanti (the next town over). Ann Arbor is a very safe place. Ypsilanti has a reputation of being slightly less so, but is still quite safe. If you are looking for the type of complex that might have reviews, I can recommend Glencoe Hills; I lived there at one time, it's convenient to several grocery stores and the area is completely safe. If you search for it, the names of a dozen other such complexes come up as well and you can take your pick (they're all about the same as far as I am concerned). However, do keep in mind that parking in downtown Ann Arbor (where most of U of M is located) is very difficult and can get expensive/annoying, and thus living off campus comes with a tradeoff (curse those lucky ducks whose programs are located on north campus).

I'm reposting this because I never got a response.  Hope you gals/guys can help!

If you're looking to live on campus, I think (unfortunately) the best idea is to come for a visit and get in contact with some local companies that rent out spaces, who can ferry you around to a few places so you can find one that fits your needs. There are a lot of sites that you can search like Cribspot (which I found via this thread) or Renthop (which I found by searching "Craigslist sucks" on Google), and I'd recommend checking those out for places that might not be on UM's off-campus housing site, but there isn't one that is particular to Ann Arbor; unsurprising given A2's size. Ann Arbor is mostly made up of small, low construction, and now that Craigslist is a cesspit it's difficult to imagine finding the type of housing that the average grad student is looking for without visiting in person and contacting some local agency.

*DISCLAIMER: QASP has over 20 years experience living in Ann Arbor, but 18 of those years were as a minor living with family and QASP has been away from the area for several years now. QASP plans to live in the South University area because QASP hates walking long distances in cold weather more than QASP hates living among undergraduates. QASP looks forward to being miserable and poor in Ann Arbor with you all for the next 4+ years starting this fall. Do not taunt QASP.

Edited by QASP

Yeah, there is a lot of apartment living but closer to downtown/campus this is very frequently just houses that have been chopped up into 3-4 units, which makes finding reviews etc. a bit more difficult. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't live in Michigan, but a friend of mine and his partner are doing this. He's a PhD student at Ann Arbor, she works in Dearborn. They live in Ypsilanti, which I think makes it an easier commute for the partner. We are also all from the Northern Virginia area, where average commute time is easily 1 hour one-way, so I don't think it was a hugely difficult transition.

• 2 weeks later...

I've moved to the Ann Arbor area now that I'm in my first year. If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Love your doge taco! 

This is my fifth year in Ann Arbor. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. 

I haven't browsed this thread much and since you both offered... :) What is Ann Arbor like? What is there to do for fun? I'm a fan of outdoorsy stuff like hiking/climbing/canoeing - any good local places to do that? Michigan is one of my top choices for grad school, but I haven't been accepted yet. Just curious about life up north!

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't browsed this thread much and since you both offered... :) What is Ann Arbor like? What is there to do for fun? I'm a fan of outdoorsy stuff like hiking/climbing/canoeing - any good local places to do that? Michigan is one of my top choices for grad school, but I haven't been accepted yet. Just curious about life up north!

Ann Arbor is an amazing place to live. It's a wonderful college town, not too big and not too small. The school spirit is crazy, and hopefully our football team will be back on the rise soon because even as someone who isn't big into sports, the games had been a great fun experience. There's plenty of things to do right on/next to central campus (restaurants, bars, shops). I can't say I know a lot about the outdoorsy stuff because I'm not a big outdoorsy buff myself, but when it's warmer, you can go canoeing on the Huron River. And the Arb is a beautiful place for walks and such. However, it does get cold fairly early, which limits some outdoorsy activities (but then opens up some other winter outdoorsy stuff!).

Best places to rent a house? 3 dogs doesn't sound like an apartment will work out.

I wish I had more information for you. All the places I've had experience with don't allow any pets, but I also haven't been actively searching for a place that would allow pets.

• 3 weeks later...

So: I've been absent from this forum for a while (end of term craziness...). But, yes. I'm from Michigan originally (with brief sojourns elsewhere in the country), so I can unequivocally say that there are countless options for outdoorsy stuff--hiking/climbing/canoeing. Ann Arbor itself has a canoe livery not far from downtown on the Huron River. I think they even have constructed their own mini rapids to canoe down. Your options for outdoorsy things increase the farther north you travel. There are many state parks in northern Michigan and the upper peninsula. The Sleeping Bear Dunes are stunning. Michigan's national park (Isle Royale) is its own self-contained island in Lake Superior with native populations of wolves and moose.. Good times.

Edited by deleonj

I forgot to answer your question re: what is Ann Arbor like?

Ann Arbor is, I find, middle-class to upper middle-class and is not the most diverse town. Being a graduate student, and living on a grad stipend, is very doable here. UMich has many coffers of money for grad students (for conference travel and summer funding), so it is very likely that your initial stipend in your offer letter can be augmented.

Ann Arbor has great coffee shops (integral to the grad school experience, IMO). Mighty Good, Lab, and the Espresso Bar all serve quality espresso drinks. Others may differentiate in quality, but even to have 3 establishments so concerned with quality coffee in a city of Ann Arbor's size is a win.

Of course, the restaurants are great. A couple of microbreweries too. Ypsilanti (neighboring city) is where some grad students live as well for cheaper rent. They call Ypsi the Brooklyn of Ann Arbor's Manhattan... Make of that what you will.

Hey! Another Wolverine here - lived in the Metro Detroit area nearly my entire life! If anyone has any questions, feel free to comment here or message me. I haven't read through the entire thread, but I can help with everything but anything specifically related to engineering!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been accepted to the MSW program at the University of Michigan, and now my boyfriend and I are looking for places to live. I'm not sure if I want to live close enough to the school so I can walk, or live further away and bus/drive (is there parking around the School of Social Work?) Our budget is around $1000 a month, but that can stretch if needed. I know that the School is in South U, and that's a largely undergrad area. We don't want to have loud neighbors/surroundings. I have found some buildings online in South U that are pretty tall and supposedly quiet though.

Does anyone have any advice for me as a Social Work student at UM?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been accepted to the MSW program at the University of Michigan, and now my boyfriend and I are looking for places to live. I'm not sure if I want to live close enough to the school so I can walk, or live further away and bus/drive (is there parking around the School of Social Work?) Our budget is around $1000 a month, but that can stretch if needed. I know that the School is in South U, and that's a largely undergrad area. We don't want to have loud neighbors/surroundings. I have found some buildings online in South U that are pretty tall and supposedly quiet though.

Does anyone have any advice for me as a Social Work student at UM?

Sorry if you already know this stuff/it's not clear enough/it's already been said/this is too late.

The towers on South U are quite expensive and in general I've heard they're not kept up well (I've had 2-3 friends try them out as undergraduates). Is 1000 after rent and utilities? If not, there are lots of much cheaper options that are still fairly close. I live in the Elbel neighborhood on south-ish campus, just north of the stadium if you want to find it on a map. It takes me roughly fifteen minutes, at the very most, to walk to the school of social work (which is quite nice, I think). It's mostly undergrads, but our specific area (closer to Main than State) doesn't get too loud. It's mostly just east of State St. and south of South U that might get a bit loud (greek life is around there).

That being said, many graduate students prefer the Kerrytown area, as well as the neighborhood east of it (Katherine/Ann area, can't remember what it's called). Both are short walks to central campus (same distance from my place), are more affordable than the large apartment buildings right on campus, and are much, much quieter. They are also virtually downtown, so you would have some nice options for food, coffee shops, book shopping, record shopping, or whatever you like. West of Kerrytown is the Old West Side which might be less walkable. There's a parking structure near the SW building that I think allows for blue permits (whatever that means), you may want to ask someone at your school if that would be a viable option.

You may wanna check the bus routes. There are blue buses, which only traverse the length of campus and white buses which go off campus and out of town. They are both free to students, but white buses run less often and on a tighter schedule. Blue buses typically run every ten to twenty minutes. I live about two blocks from a blue bus stop, and I find it very, very convenient. There's a stop on the commuter south on South U right next to the SW building, so you could in theory just jump on it and ride it home (if you live south of campus) without worrying about the cold at all. 

Finally, because you live in Lansing, I would highly recommend you tour places before you commit. You'll probably be looking at houses that have been subdivided into smaller units. Sometimes they do this in very weird, inconvenient ways. Because the school is so big, there's a huge influx of students coming in all the time, and the developers often build at breakneck paces to have things finished by the day before school starts. Don't commit to something that hasn't been finished yet. 

Anyway, hope something in that helped.

I made it through a few pages, but this is a long thread! 

Just got accepted to grad school at U of M- doctoral program on central campus. My soon-to-be-spouse and I will be moving to Ann Arbor around July or August and we need suggestions: 

-Two bedroom

-Preferably a condo or townhouse but apartment is OK, too

-Dog friendly 

-On a bus line 

Any suggestions? We're open to renting or buying but our monthly limit for housing is about $1.4k.