Ann Arbor, MI

Guest wolverine

Hey there! This is the website for the small property management company I rent from.

All of the houses are historic & charming, reasonably priced, great locations for grad students, and the property manager responds very promptly to requests. You should give Bob a call and see if he has any available places that would interest you!

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of double posting, but does anyone have any recommendations for a 2bd/2ba (or 1.5 ba) apartments that are less than a 20-min bus ride away on a budget of $1,200-1,300 per unit? My roommate and I will both have classes one central campus.

15 hours ago, lauracsm said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2bd/2ba (or 1.5 ba) apartments that are less than a 20-min bus ride away on a budget of $1,200-1,300 per unit? My roommate and I will both have classes one central campus.

Lauracsm I have been looking at places like SpiceTree and Hidden Valley Apartments in that price range. There is a very good complex by the name of Woodland Mews in the range of about $1350. None of these are downtown but they seem really nice. 

There are plenty of apartments within a short walking distance of central campus for that price. They will be in divided older homes, not apartment complexes. There is no reason to ride a bus if you're willing to pay $6-700/bedroom. Any apartment complexes are far from campus and a complete pain. The charm of Ann Arbor is living in Ann Arbor. Believe it or not, the best way to find a place is to just walk around and call the numbers on the signs. A huge amount of apartments are not run by large companies and are not advertised.

55 minutes ago, alanc said:

There are plenty of apartments within a short walking distance of central campus for that price. They will be in divided older homes, not apartment complexes. There is no reason to ride a bus if you're willing to pay $6-700/bedroom. Any apartment complexes are far from campus and a complete pain. The charm of Ann Arbor is living in Ann Arbor. Believe it or not, the best way to find a place is to just walk around and call the numbers on the signs. A huge amount of apartments are not run by large companies and are not advertised.

alanc thanks for your message. Do you think accommodation will be available even in August? I wont be able to get to AA before that and so was wondering whether I needed to finalize everything well in advance or if I could wait to get there and then check for places?

22 hours ago, CP fun said:

alanc thanks for your message. Do you think accommodation will be available even in August? I wont be able to get to AA before that and so was wondering whether I needed to finalize everything well in advance or if I could wait to get there and then check for places?

That's where the problem arises. A lot of new students rent whatever they can find from afar for a year and then move for their second year. Yes, there are always rentals available in August but it's more or less a crap shoot as far as what you'll find. Sometimes you get lucky and find a great place, sometimes not, but there is always something available. On the bright side, even if you don't find something you like in August you can always fall back on an apartment complex with a bus ride. Just make sure that the bus actually goes by the apartment because you will not be driving a car to central campus because you can't park it. The AA bus system is very good and you ride for free with a student ID but there are places you won't get a bus after a certain time of day and some where you won't get a bus at all. You should use the route maps while looking to make sure you can actually get where you need when you need. http://www.theride.org/Schedules-Maps-and-Tools

1 hour ago, alanc said:

That's where the problem arises. A lot of new students rent whatever they can find from afar for a year and then move for their second year. Yes, there are always rentals available in August but it's more or less a crap shoot as far as what you'll find. Sometimes you get lucky and find a great place, sometimes not, but there is always something available. On the bright side, even if you don't find something you like in August you can always fall back on an apartment complex with a bus ride. Just make sure that the bus actually goes by the apartment because you will not be driving a car to central campus because you can't park it. The AA bus system is very good and you ride for free with a student ID but there are places you won't get a bus after a certain time of day and some where you won't get a bus at all. You should use the route maps while looking to make sure you can actually get where you need when you need. http://www.theride.org/Schedules-Maps-and-Tools

Thanks for the message alanc. I am pretty much certain about leasing in an apartment complex in advance since I do not want to a chance coming in. Most of these places also have a wait list that apparently fills up fairly fast. So if one hasnt applied by May/June then its highly unlikely that something will open up in August. Have you heard of an apartment complex called Liberty Grand? I am in the process of choosing between Liberty Grand, SpiceTree and Arbor Hills Apartment. Liberty Grand seems really nice but its apparently right next to I 94 and that is supposed to be quite noisy - as all highways are. Would you have any thoughts on that? Thanks a lot for all your help!

I can't tell you about the complexes themselves but Liberty Grand is far from campus in Scio Township. I think it's fairly new. There is a bus (route 29) but you'll likely have to slog through snow to get to your stop and you'll get a bus about once per hour. You can see the apartments from the xway and it is loud so I would make sure you're not signing for an apartment in the back facing the xway. It is not convenient to town and there is nothing within walking distance. If you have a car you can do your shopping within about 3 miles in Scio Township.

Spicetree is almost to Ypsilanti, past Arborland, which is the most congested intersection in the area. Good news is you can get a bus (route 4) every ten minutes by walking out your door any time of day. The apartments get mixed reviews and I hear they are very loud, mostly undergrads from UM, Eastern, and the CC which is within a mile.

Arbor Hills is near Spicetree  but on the Ann Arbor side of the expressway so you get the same bus route but avoid the congestion near the expressway.

You didn't say whether you will bring a car. You can't drive it to campus during the day because there's no place to park it but if you live away from town you will be able to use it for everything else and it would make your life a lot easier. If you do, my choice would be Liberty Grand because it's fairly secluded if you can get a unit up front away from the xway. You would avoid the nightmare traffic of the other places. It is very pretty, almost semi-rural on that side of town. If you don't have a car just going grocery shopping would be a nightmare and I would go with one of the others.

I also wouldn't get stressed about having to do it now. The "filling up fast" thing is a marketing ploy, there are always apartments for rent. Of course, knowing what your life will look like is reassuring in itself.

2 hours ago, alanc said:

I can't tell you about the complexes themselves but Liberty Grand is far from campus in Scio Township. I think it's fairly new. There is a bus (route 29) but you'll likely have to slog through snow to get to your stop and you'll get a bus about once per hour. You can see the apartments from the xway and it is loud so I would make sure you're not signing for an apartment in the back facing the xway. It is not convenient to town and there is nothing within walking distance. If you have a car you can do your shopping within about 3 miles in Scio Township.

Spicetree is almost to Ypsilanti, past Arborland, which is the most congested intersection in the area. Good news is you can get a bus (route 4) every ten minutes by walking out your door any time of day. The apartments get mixed reviews and I hear they are very loud, mostly undergrads from UM, Eastern, and the CC which is within a mile.

Arbor Hills is near Spicetree  but on the Ann Arbor side of the expressway so you get the same bus route but avoid the congestion near the expressway.

You didn't say whether you will bring a car. You can't drive it to campus during the day because there's no place to park it but if you live away from town you will be able to use it for everything else and it would make your life a lot easier. If you do, my choice would be Liberty Grand because it's fairly secluded if you can get a unit up front away from the xway. You would avoid the nightmare traffic of the other places. It is very pretty, almost semi-rural on that side of town. If you don't have a car just going grocery shopping would be a nightmare and I would go with one of the others.

I also wouldn't get stressed about having to do it now. The "filling up fast" thing is a marketing ploy, there are always apartments for rent. Of course, knowing what your life will look like is reassuring in itself.

alanc I wish there was a way to say thank you a dozen times for one post. You have been most amazing. Thank you for all the information. I had almost settled on Liberty Grand even though I dont have a car. I love how beautiful and quiet it appears to be. I was aware of the noise part and have been assured by the leasing person that I will be given something as far away as possible. Thank you for everything you mentioned that will definitely help me make a choice. SpiceTree might not work for the reasons you mentioned (I am not much of a party person). Arbor Hills seems nice but the complex is a little old so that might be a problem but I am still thinking about that property. THANK you for everything. If there is any way I can help while at UMich you only have to ask!

If I were you I would look here: https://www.thepondsatgeorgetown.com/

It's on Packard south of Stadium which means you are past the undergrad ghetto but still on a busy bus line and within easy bicycling distance, even walking distance if the weather's nice and you like to walk. If you don't like to walk it's probably too far. There is an area within short walking distance where undergrads live and rent is, in my opinion, unreasonable for the really old buildings. Then there is the ring beyond that where rents go down, buildings are newer, bicycling is okay, but walking might be a bit far. I would go for that. The Ponds is an example, you should also check Woodbury Gardens which is in the same area but a half mile closer. Then you have the really far away stuff where you really have to plan your day because you live too far to go home until you're completely done for the day, some don't get buses. That would be the case with the others you mentioned.

6 hours ago, alanc said:

It's on Packard south of Stadium which means you are past the undergrad ghetto but still on a busy bus line and within easy bicycling distance, even walking distance if the weather's nice and you like to walk. If you don't like to walk it's probably too far. There is an area within short walking distance where undergrads live and rent is, in my opinion, unreasonable for the really old buildings. Then there is the ring beyond that where rents go down, buildings are newer, bicycling is okay, but walking might be a bit far. I would go for that. The Ponds is an example, you should also check Woodbury Gardens which is in the same area but a half mile closer. Then you have the really far away stuff where you really have to plan your day because you live too far to go home until you're completely done for the day, some don't get buses. That would be the case with the others you mentioned.

THANKS alanc for all the help. I will check out Ponds today and also Woodbury. The thing is, there are lots of reviews available online but I am not sure what to trust since many people writing in say that a number of the reviews are fake and written by the management themselves!

I have done a Skype tour of Liberty Grand and seem to love it. But you are right. It is too far away and without a car might be tough to negotiate. I will now focus on Ponds and Woodbury and revert back with the results. THANKS again for all the guidance. You have no idea how valuable your advice is to me!

On 3/17/2017 at 9:02 PM, dormcat said:

I signed sight unseen, except for a FaceTime tour. Maybe they would be willing to do that? None of the companies I checked out required me to physically enter the apartment before letting me sign it, and many were willing to do video tours. 

dormcat where did you eventually sign? I too am in the process of finding a 2 bed apartment that is quiet, away from the frat scene and yet connected to A2!

6 hours ago, CP fun said:

dormcat where did you eventually sign? I too am in the process of finding a 2 bed apartment that is quiet, away from the frat scene and yet connected to A2!

I found an apartment (converted house) in Kerrytown on Craigslist.

6 hours ago, dormcat said:

I found an apartment (converted house) in Kerrytown on Craigslist.

Congratulations. Finding a nice place to stay takes a lot of the stress away. May I ask how much you are paying for it? Thanks and enjoy the home :)

3 minutes ago, CP fun said:

Congratulations. Finding a nice place to stay takes a lot of the stress away. May I ask how much you are paying for it? Thanks and enjoy the home :)

Thanks, it was a relief as I'd been looking for two months (since January), toured a bunch of places in February but wasn't moved by any. And no I don't mind, it's $1795, which is pretty far past a typical grad student budget but fingers crossed my husband finds a job! We have a couple animals coming with us, so we needed to make sure there was enough space for them. 

1 minute ago, dormcat said:

Thanks, it was a relief as I'd been looking for two months (since January), toured a bunch of places in February but wasn't moved by any. And no I don't mind, it's $1795, which is pretty far past a typical grad student budget but fingers crossed my husband finds a job! We have a couple animals coming with us, so we needed to make sure there was enough space for them. 

Thats amazing. Great job. I am hoping to get something for about $1300. Utilities plus Internet etc will be another $300/400. And yes we also hope to adopt some old cats and/or dogs when there. So finding a nice home is important for us too. You guys enjoy your home. And good luck with the job search. Now that you cracked the UMich entrance, everything else should fall into place :)

Hi,

I am an international student and I will be joining the University of Michigan in Fall 2017. I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom partially/fully furnished apartment close to the North Campus from mid August 2017. I am particularly interested in Willowtree apartments. If anyone in this group wants to transfer their lease or knows someone else, please let me know. I will be moving in with my wife so I am not looking for a room. We also have 2 cats.

Thank you!

On 4/2/2017 at 1:22 AM, alanc said:

Hi alanc, I just spoke with Woodbury. They are a good apartment complex but very expensive (for me). Their 2 bed 1 bath option is around $1575 per month plus all utilities which they are estimating will be about $300 (gas, electric, water, trash). That really takes it beyond my budget. I have scheduled a call with Ponds for later today. Really hoping something works out. Or I have an option in Woodland Mews which seems to be around the same area. I would be very grateful if you could share some thoughts on that. I have given up on SpiceTree because of the undergrad party crowd and Arbor Hills is a little old from what I could tell. So I'm down to Woodland Mews, Ponds and Liberty Grand (even though I don't own a car and am not sure if I will manage to get one in the first year!). 

Thanks a million for all your help!

I can't tell you much about actually living in Woodland Mews but the place has a bizarre history. It was built as an upscale condo complex but the recession hit and they sold over 200 unsold units for next to nothing. The people who bought the original condos lost massive amounts of money when they started renting but that's not an issue for you. The location is fantastic. You can walk to Busch's for groceries and you have 2 bus routes, one on Main which takes you north to town or south to the mall, and one on AA Saline Rd on the other side of the complex which also takes you north to town or south to Whole Foods and the Meijer in Pittsfield Twp (only a mile or two). You have an easy bike ride to central if you do that. You can walk to the stadium in about 10 minutes. The units are not really old and they were built to be nice but the reviews seem to be mixed. Some of the units have issues because they were sold unfinished and quickly finished so they could be rented. Try to talk to people who live there to find their experiences but you really can't beat the location if the price is right. Besides, you only have to live there for a year at a time.

10 hours ago, alanc said:

I can't tell you much about actually living in Woodland Mews but the place has a bizarre history. It was built as an upscale condo complex but the recession hit and they sold over 200 unsold units for next to nothing. The people who bought the original condos lost massive amounts of money when they started renting but that's not an issue for you. The location is fantastic. You can walk to Busch's for groceries and you have 2 bus routes, one on Main which takes you north to town or south to the mall, and one on AA Saline Rd on the other side of the complex which also takes you north to town or south to Whole Foods and the Meijer in Pittsfield Twp (only a mile or two). You have an easy bike ride to central if you do that. You can walk to the stadium in about 10 minutes. The units are not really old and they were built to be nice but the reviews seem to be mixed. Some of the units have issues because they were sold unfinished and quickly finished so they could be rented. Try to talk to people who live there to find their experiences but you really can't beat the location if the price is right. Besides, you only have to live there for a year at a time.

alanc you are an amazing person to know. Thank you very much for this help. You truly are a life saver with all this information!

Just an update for everyone still looking. I explored the possibility of Woodbury as well as Ponds. Thought about Arbor Hills, SpiceTree and a whole host of others. Eventually I am leaning towards Liberty Grand. It is new, clean and very pretty. Even though I dont have a car, I think I will manage with the buses that run through the area. Woodbury is too expensive. Woodland Mews also expensive and not really so much better than Liberty to justify the added expense. I know commuting might be a problem but I am going to try and figure out how to get past that. Unless something special comes up, Liberty Grand appears to be the place I shall lease!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had applied to live in Munger or Northwood? Housing contracts are supposed to come out this week or next, and I'm anxiously waiting to see if I actually made it through. I know that Munger had a pretty lengthy waitlist last year.