MPP/MPA 2011 Applicants

Program Applied To MPA, MPA-DP (Development Practice), MPA/ID (International Development)

Schools Applied To: Woodrow Wilson (MPA), HKS (MPA/ID), SIPA (MPA), SIPA (MPA-DP)

Schools Admitted To: HKS, SIPA (MPA), SIPA (MPA-DP)

Schools Rejected From: Princeton(Waitlisted)

Still Waiting: Princeton (I don't have high hope)

Undergraduate institution: The University of Chicago

Undergraduate GPA: 3.53

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): na

Undergraduate Major: Economics

GRE Quantitative Score: 800

GRE Verbal Score: 670

GRE AW Score: 3.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Years of Work Experience: 1.8

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Project Manager designing a survey on household businesses in a developing country, overseeing fieldwork, budget, etc.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): focusing on an experience of field management, contrasting stellar environment of academic ivory tower and reality in the field

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): got one letter from a UChicago professor who owns the said survey project, another one from survey project consultant (who helped with my work in the field) The last one is from a UChicago economics professor who is not involved in the project.

Other:

• 3 weeks later...

Program Applied To: MPP, MPA

Schools Applied To: Woodrow Wilson (MPA), HKS (MPP/MPA2), SIPA (MPA), Brown(MPA)

Schools Admitted To: HKS (MPA2), SIPA (MPA), Brown

Schools Rejected From: WWS

Undergraduate institution: India

Undergraduate GPA: 3.9

Undergraduate Major: Architecture

(1st Masters: DAAP, U Cincinnati, GPA: 3.6; Major: Community Planning)

GRE Quantitative Score: 790

GRE Verbal Score: 700

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 9

Years of Work Experience: 6

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Architect (1yr), Senior Planner/Urban Designer (5yrs)

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Focussed on my passion ( sustainable economic development in urban areas) as it relates to by background in architecture and planning plus my proposed concentration (social and urban policy with focus in economic analysis)

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): got 2 profs from masters and 2 ex-colleagues. Both profs were on my thesis committee and I worked really well with them. Both were eager to help - one prof had only 3 days notice and the other went to Harvard :-). Work recos went well too (I think) since I had worked on multiple and varied projects with both recommenders, so they knew my professional and inter-personal skills. One thing I would do differently - notify people well in advance!

Other:

• 2 weeks later...

Program Applied To: MPP

Schools Applied To: Georgetown- GPPI, Carnegie Mellon (DC track) - Heinz, GWU -Trachtenberg, USC - SPPD, University of Maryland at College Park

Schools Admitted To: All

Schools Rejected From:None

Undergraduate institution:

Undergraduate GPA: 3.40

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (ifapplicable): 3.8

Undergraduate Major: PublicHealth

GRE Quantitative Score: 700+

GRE Verbal Score: 600+

GRE AW Score: less than 4! (haha, and I thought I'd come out with a 6! I just bombed on this one. Note:even if you're a good writer, if you haven't done any literature analysis inthe last 6 months you may want to consider brushing up on your skills)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):2

Years of Work Experience:Full-time, about 1.5 years.

Describe Relevant Work Experience: international humanitarian/medical aid volunteer, policy work in ecosystem preservation

Strength of SOP (be honest, describethe process, etc): Wow, sucked! I was working on each oneabout 5 minutes before each deadline (I had other work obligations at thetime). Process involved reviewing these old boards, and just following thedirections for each school very carefully. For tips, I read Berkeley graduate division's articles on SOPsand Personal Statements. In the end, every single one of my SOPs were submittedwith at least a few errors (grammatical, or otherwise). I called out POI or specific programs/classes of interestin each of my statements. Essays included details on my international aidexperience, why I want to study public policy, and my past policy experience.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describethe process, etc): 3 writers: former professor, current supervisor, and mentor. Though Ididn't see the first two, I think they must have been pretty good; the last was... probably, less good. I gave each letter writer a summary of my experiences since I hadknown them, and discussed with them why I wanted to head into public policy.I’m pretty close with all of them so they were able to include details on mybackground and personal hardships.

Other: Figure out the differencebetween SOPs and Personal Statements first! Speak w/ POIs before applying. Knowwhy you are applying for each school you apply to. I feel as though my situation is a bit of an exception compared to others: I don't have years and years of super relevant experience, and I've never taken an econ class in my life; my calc and stats grades were mediocre, and well... let's just say there's more not so great things to say. I think what I had going for me was the following: I know exactly why I want to go into public policy and I know what fields I want to work in; I had strong letters of rec; I did well on the GRE; I REALLY wanted to attend each of the programs I applied to.

Bottomline: tell 'em what you want, why you want it, and be sincere. Oh, and, I prayed a lot. :)

Program Applied To: MPA/MPAff and MSc Information Security Policy and Management

Schools Applied To: Erasmus Mundus MAPP, Hertie School of Governance (Berlin), Syracuse U, UT Austin, NYU, CMU (infosec)

Schools Admitted To: Erasmus Mundus (waitlisted for scholarship), Hertie (50% scholarship), Syracuse (65% all expense scholarship), UT (100% scholarship), NYU (1/3 scholarship), CMU (60% scholarship).

Undergraduate institution: University in my home country (small but well known amongst scholars)

Undergraduate GPA: 92/100

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (ifapplicable): 95/100

Undergraduate Major: Politics and Public Administration

GRE Quantitative Score: 600

GRE Verbal Score: 690

GRE AW Score: 4

TOEFL Score: 113 (English is not my native language).

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2.5 at time of application

Years of Work Experience: 2.5 full time. 6 years of volunteer service as an EMT with various leadership positions.

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Research and information systems management.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describethe process, etc): I started it really early (around August) to apply for an external scholarship. It had typos and grammar mistakes. But I think it was overall strong because it clearly showed what I wanted to do, why attend each university and was related to my work and volunteer experience.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describethe process, etc): Three writers: one for a former professor/thesis director/employer (I didn't see it, but I hope it was strong); one from another professor, alumni from one of the unis I applied to (I saw it, it was pretty strong); and the last one from the Medical director of the ambulance service I volunteer with (i didn't see it either, but I am sure it was great).

Other: I was worried about my GRE scores -while they were right average for most of the schools, my Q was really low, while my V was higher. I speak four languages, lived abroad for a while and wrote an undegrad thesis. I am sure that these factors + good SOP and LoRs made up for my scores.

In retrospect, I am really happy with my acceptances. I only applied to schools I could see myself in, so deciding where to attend was really hard, I want to go to all. I wish I had applied to less programs and to include one program I didn't applied to, but since I needed financial aid, I wanted to broaden my chances. If you're applying to NYU and need financial aid, DO send your GRE scores even though they're optional (I didn't and I assume it negatively impacted my funding chances).

CC139, what school did you choose???

Program Applied To: MPA/MPAff and MSc Information Security Policy and Management

Schools Applied To: Erasmus Mundus MAPP, Hertie School of Governance (Berlin), Syracuse U, UT Austin, NYU, CMU (infosec)

Schools Admitted To: Erasmus Mundus (waitlisted for scholarship), Hertie (50% scholarship), Syracuse (65% all expense scholarship), UT (100% scholarship), NYU (1/3 scholarship), CMU (60% scholarship).

Undergraduate institution: University in my home country (small but well known amongst scholars)

Undergraduate GPA: 92/100

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (ifapplicable): 95/100

Undergraduate Major: Politics and Public Administration

GRE Quantitative Score: 600

GRE Verbal Score: 690

TOEFL Score: 113 (English is not my native language).

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2.5 at time of application

Years of Work Experience: 2.5 full time. 6 years of volunteer service as an EMT with various leadership positions.

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Research and information systems management.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describethe process, etc): I started it really early (around August) to apply for an external scholarship. It had typos and grammar mistakes. But I think it was overall strong because it clearly showed what I wanted to do, why attend each university and was related to my work and volunteer experience.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describethe process, etc): Three writers: one for a former professor/thesis director/employer (I didn't see it, but I hope it was strong); one from another professor, alumni from one of the unis I applied to (I saw it, it was pretty strong); and the last one from the Medical director of the ambulance service I volunteer with (i didn't see it either, but I am sure it was great).

Other: I was worried about my GRE scores -while they were right average for most of the schools, my Q was really low, while my V was higher. I speak four languages, lived abroad for a while and wrote an undegrad thesis. I am sure that these factors + good SOP and LoRs made up for my scores.

In retrospect, I am really happy with my acceptances. I only applied to schools I could see myself in, so deciding where to attend was really hard, I want to go to all. I wish I had applied to less programs and to include one program I didn't applied to, but since I needed financial aid, I wanted to broaden my chances. If you're applying to NYU and need financial aid, DO send your GRE scores even though they're optional (I didn't and I assume it negatively impacted my funding chances).

Congrats! And that means your Maxwell scholarship is back in the funding pool :)

I'll attend UT Austin. It was a really difficult decision, but I believe Austin was the best balance between academics and outside opportunities. I hope I'm right. :unsure:

Congrats! And that means your Maxwell scholarship is back in the funding pool :)

Indeed. It was an assistantship, so there's probably one spot open for those who will seek funding when arriving to Maxwell. Best of luck.

Previous Schools (Name, type, or tier): Top French science university (Ecole Polytechnique)

Previous Degrees and GPA's: Master's degree in applied mathematics and economics

GRE Scores (Verbal/Quantitative/Analytical Writing): 550 / 800 / 3.5

Previous Work Experience (Years, Type): 1 year of work in an management consulting company, 7 months of volunteering at the French Red Cross, 4-month research internship at UC Berkeley

Math/Econ Background: Well, with a master's degree in mathematics that was not the hardest part of my application :)

Foreign Language Background: French (mother tongue), English (104 Toefl IBT), German

Intended Field of Study in Grad School: Urban policy / Housing issues

Long Term Professional Goals: I am part of a professional program in france leading to high position in French civil service (corps des ponts)

Schools Applied to & Results: Admitted: MPA Columbia SIPA, MPP Harvard KSG, TPP Mit. Waitlisted: MPP Berkeley

Ultimate Decision & Why: HKS: I heard good echoes from former French students, both on the quality of the courses, on the political effervescence, and on the social life. Plus, of course, the brand name that can always be useful.

Any advice to Future Applicants? It's always worth trying your luck. I would never have said I had a chance at HKS (I didn't even apply for fellowships :( ) and yet I am going to Cambridge next year :).

Also, two small practical advices:

Don't ask too many people to reread your SOP, you would end up with contradictory opinions. Chose one of two friends with some time and some skills in writing, and work mainly with them.

I had poor verbal and AWA scores, and yet I ended with relatively good results. So I would say that this is not the most important part of your application, at least for international students.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

Just wandering of any of you applied for MPP at the Lee Kuan Yew School in the National University of Singapore and have heard anything from them yet? The outcome wassupposed to be out by end of April but I still havent got any news..

Thank you!

• 8 months later...

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA/MA-IR Dual Degree programs

Schools Applied To: Syracuse University, Brigham Young University, University of Texas, University of Washington, University of Michigan, Harvard

Schools Admitted To: Syracuse University, Brigham Young University (fully funded), University of Texas (Fully Funded), University of Washington

Schools Rejected From: Withdrew applications from Harvard and Michigan after receiving word on Syracuse.

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: Brigham Young University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.82

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.87

Undergraduate Major: Middle Eastern Studies/Arabic

GRE Quantitative Score: 550

GRE Verbal Score: 600

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1 year

Years of Work Experience: 4.5 years

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I served 4 and half years in the United States Navy as a Hospital Corpsman attached to a Marine Infantry Unit. During this time, I deployed to Iraq for Operation Phantom Fury or better known as the Battle of Fallujah. My primary duties pertained to providing medical care under fire to wounded Marines. Also, I maintained health records to ensure all Marines and Sailors were ready for deployment by updating vaccination shots, physical exams, etc.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I received commendation from the admissions committee of Syracuse on my Statement of Purpose for its clarity. I stated my short and long term goals explicitly. Also, I spoke of my experience in Iraq, which changed my decision from being a medical doctor to pursuing a career in international development. Also, I spoke of my language training in Arabic during my undergraduate education and how it has helped me better understand the Arab people of the Middle East, an area I wish to do international development. The process was not bad at all. I wrote this on an airplane trip to from Utah to Texas.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): For my letters of recommendation, I had three individuals provide them for me: a world renowned Arabic professor, a prominent Chinese professor, and a Marine Corps Officer who I served under during the Battle of Fallujah. The process was great. The day I sent all my request to these individuals they were ready to be submitted within a week.

Other: I have traveled extensively throughout the world. I have been to Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait, Thailand, and Japan. I believe this international exposure has help to form my perspective of the world and a need for better government from the United States, meaning a humble foreign policy instead of policing the world. Also, it should be noted that my GPA also has many Pre-Medical courses within it: Physics, Chemistry, Micro and Molecular Biology, Anatomy, etc. Hence, my GPA is based on tough courses.

Thats great! Would like to have a look at your sop sample

• 2 weeks later...

I applied back in 2007 for entrance in 2008, but it might help some people (plus this serves as an ego boost while I await impending doom for a career path change).

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MEd, MBA
Schools Applied To: Brown, NYU, USC, HGSE
Schools Admitted To: Brown (partial RA-ship), NYU (pittance of a scholarship), USC (fully funded), HGSE (none)
Schools Rejected From: A bunch of business schools.
Still Waiting: n/a

Undergraduate institution: Wichita State University (3rd tier)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.97
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 4.00
Undergraduate Major: Field Studies in Psychology

GRE Quantitative Score: 790
GRE Verbal Score: 640 or 650 (can't remember)
GRE AW Score: 5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1 year
Years of Work Experience: 1 year full time, 2 years part-time
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked for the Mental Health Association as a summer intern, subsequently hired as a program coordinator while an undergrad; minor research in psychology. After graduating, taught grade 4 math abroad.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I wrote a 5 page expose on myself, what shapped me into wanting to pursue a degree in policy and focused on my interest of dispelling mental "illness" stigmas internationally. Eventually I narrowed it down to whatever page limit (2-3) individual schools would allow and amended the essay as per the school's focus, how said school could help me achieve my goals etc...I probably spent too much time writing these essays rather than applying to schools, but it was worth it. Edit. Edit. Edit. And I tried to add humor where appropriate to make the SoP more personable...after all, no one wants to read some dry recantation of a resume.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Used three undergraduate professors and one professional letter from the Mental Health Association; one of the undergraduate professors I worked with for my thesis, the other two, I'd kept in close contact with throughout school and after graduation.

Other: I graduated with a BA two years after graduating from high school and started an endowed scholarship fund at my undergraduate institution. Sure I had good grades and a cozy GRE score at the time, but I think what really bolstered my application was my enthusiasm for my chosen career path. I had a solid idea of what I wanted to achieve ultimately, though the process by which to do so was beyond me...which is why I needed an MPP or an MEd.

Ultimately, I chose Brown - smaller program, fell in love with Providence after my first visit and I knew I wouldn't feel lost among hoards of competitive students. Was it the right decision? Definitely.