Fulbright-Hays DDRA 2010-2011

LisaRog

This topic list is for current graduate students planning on applying for the Fulbright-Hays DDRA in 2010-2011 (nb: this grant is different from the Fulbright IIE). If you are applying for the DDRA, this forum is for you!

• 5 weeks later...

apps are in... countdown begins!

This topic list is for current graduate students planning on applying for the Fulbright-Hays DDRA in 2010-2011 (nb: this grant is different from the Fulbright IIE). If you are applying for the DDRA, this forum is for you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

last year the cohort above me heard back late april, i think. i'm pretty sure we'll know by may 1.

apparently i didn't make the final round for the ssrc, so here's hoping for the fulbright-hays. not only is the ssrc super-competitive (7%!), but their selection process seems to me even more arbitrary than these things usually are. apparently each screener gets a stack of 20 apps and has to choose a couple to give a pass to. it seems to me that you could just get the guy who tends to migrate toward a certain approach (poststructuralism, ethnopolitics, biopolitics, marxism, or whatever) and your application is relegated for idiosyncratic reasons.... old story, i suppose. anyway, i hope the ssrc reviewer has deja vu when my first book is a big crossdisciplinary hit :-)

• 2 weeks later...

How do you know that you did not make the final round for the ssrc? as far as I know, they should notify us in April.

last year the cohort above me heard back late april, i think. i'm pretty sure we'll know by may 1.

apparently i didn't make the final round for the ssrc, so here's hoping for the fulbright-hays. not only is the ssrc super-competitive (7%!), but their selection process seems to me even more arbitrary than these things usually are. apparently each screener gets a stack of 20 apps and has to choose a couple to give a pass to. it seems to me that you could just get the guy who tends to migrate toward a certain approach (poststructuralism, ethnopolitics, biopolitics, marxism, or whatever) and your application is relegated for idiosyncratic reasons.... old story, i suppose. anyway, i hope the ssrc reviewer has deja vu when my first book is a big crossdisciplinary hit :-)

ssrc asks some applicants for transcripts at the end of January, sends out rejections to others in February. so far we don't have a case of someone who wasn't asked for a transcript and got the award. mostly this is from past years' ssrc discussions on this website. i'd love to be proved wrong.

Edited by laska

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I also didn't make the final round for the SSRC, as I didn't receive the transcript request they sent out in late January. I've also never heard of anyone not getting a request for transcripts and later being awarded. So I'm definitely not going to hope I'm an exception -- being in denial for months would be way too brutal! So, here's hoping for the Hays. Good luck to everyone who applied!

ssrc asks some applicants for transcripts at the end of January, sends out rejections to others in February. so far we don't have a case of someone who wasn't asked for a transcript and got the award. mostly this is from past years' ssrc discussions on this website. i'd love to be proved wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a terrible thought: could our fulbright-hays DDRA applications be endangered by the current federal budget crisis?? Here's the only information I could find so far:

"FY 2011 OverviewFiscal year 2011 began on October 1, 2010. Since then, Congress passed a series of Continuing Resolutions (CR) to keep the government operating. The current CR expires on March 4, 2011.

The FY 2011 Continuing Resolution that expires on March 4 provides a total of $125.9 million, the FY 2010 funding levels as follows:

–Domestic Programs (HEA-Title VI, Parts A&B): $108.4 million (no change)

–Overseas Programs (Fulbright-Hays 102(B)(6)): $15.6 million (no change)

–Institute for International Public Policy (HEA-Title VI-Part C, IIPP): $1.9 million (no change)"

This makes it seem as though the entire budget supporting the fulbright-hays program could be in limbo starting on 4 March 2011 -- e.g. in two days. If this happens, or if there's a government shutdown, how will this impact our applications? Is there a possibility of the program being eliminated or funding cut down? Wow, I really can't imagine anything more awful... someone please help me sort through this! Thanks!

I just had a terrible thought: could our fulbright-hays DDRA applications be endangered by the current federal budget crisis?? Here's the only information I could find so far:

This makes it seem as though the entire budget supporting the fulbright-hays program could be in limbo starting on 4 March 2011 -- e.g. in two days. If this happens, or if there's a government shutdown, how will this impact our applications? Is there a possibility of the program being eliminated or funding cut down? Wow, I really can't imagine anything more awful... someone please help me sort through this! Thanks!

I'm not sure, but it's definitely disheartening. There's a letter sending campaign on the Fulbright site to try to sway Congress. I'd post the link, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here. But a quick search brings it up. Personalize your letter ... we're all in a position to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No word yet for me. I'm not expecting to hear anything until mid- to late April.

Here is the link that I mentioned earlier. The link doesn't make it look this way, but it is connected to the Fulbright page (or at least there is a Fulbright banner on top). The page has info about the proposed budget cuts and also has a form letter that you can either sign or change and sign in support of a full Fulbright budget.

http://www.capwiz.com/fulbright/issues/alert/?alertid=27703501

I don't think it does. I went back and checked my records, and I found out on April 28 last year. So it was the end of April, not the beginning. Apologies for the incorrect info.

Thanks Kisu! I know it is still way to early to be stressing the wait, but geeeez, four more weeks seems like an eternity! :)

Edited by nescafe

Last year's was the first week of May, so don't hold your breath yet. ;-)

Good luck!

An important note: last year's application deadline was a full month later than this year's: last year is was Dec 1 (2009).

So it took them about 5 months to get back to us last year. By that logic, we should expect to receive word any day now.