Fulbright-Hays DDRA 2010-2011

LisaRog

"Title VI/Fulbright Hays International Education Programs – According to the list of reductions posted by the House, the FY11 CR would cut funding for International Education and Foreign Language Programs by $50 million (39.7%) from the FY10 enacted level of $125.9 million. This reduction is not specified in bill text, but if implemented would result in FY11 funding of only $75.9 million for Title VI/Fulbright Hays International Education Programs. The President’s FY11 request proposed flat funding at the FY10 level for these programs (as did the FY12 request). Cuts to Title VI/Fulbright Hayswere not included in any of the preceding FY11 CRs enacted by Congress, or in earlier versions of the full-year FY11 CR introduced by either the House or Senate. The FY11 bill does specify cuts, totaling $348 million, to the larger Higher Education account within which these programs are funded. Overall funding for Higher Education Programs would be set at $1.9 billion for FY11, versus $2.3 billion in FY 2010."

I wonder what that actually means. What is the source?

That explains why I couldn't find any specific mention of these cuts in the actual bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-1473

So it sounds to me like there is going to be a lot of internal wrangling about this. I wonder who makes the decisions and how the decisions are made. It seems possible that it might take a lot of time. Any way you look at it, very bad news. The whole Fulbright-Hays program could be funding for the cost of a few cruise missiles.

Found it. It's from http://www.nhalliance.org/news/white-house-congress-reach-deal-on-fy-2011-funding.shtml

Check this out, from the same page:

"Federal agencies will have thirty days, following enactment of the bill, to report back to Congress with a plan to implement revised FY11 spending levels, and will generally have broad discretion in allocating funds."

So someone tell me what that means....

First off let me echo a few others and say that these cuts are terrible and shocking news, given that during all those months of congressional negotiations, Fulbright-Hays kept emerging unscathed. I had such misplaced hopes...

In any case, I have this news from my university's fellowships department: Our director called the DoE this morning, at the request of several panicked graduate students, myself included. He was told by either Amy Wilson or one of her colleagues on the DDRA staff that "They recognize that this year's announce date is later than last years. They apologize. They anticipate an announcement in May." Our director asked is she could be more specific, and she said they only thing she could say was "in May." On the one hand this makes it sound like the program is still a bit up in the air, but on the other hand, it has not yet been outright canceled.

Re: The clear text posted on the National Humanities Alliance site, I understand it to mean that Title VI/Fulbright-Hays have been funded (as opposed to canceled outright), but that the DoE gets to have the final say, as it prepares its budget revisions based on the latest congressional decree, on how much, if any funding, DDRA will receive. It all depends on what their priorities are and where they decide to cut. It seems like it could go either way at this point; at best it will be unaffected and at worst...I'm not sure if how to read Ms. Wilson's stalwart "in May" responses.

An idea:

Assuming the budget with all it's hurtful Title VI/Fulbright-Hays cuts does get the final seal of approval in the next few hours, as most of us seem to think that it will, and the DoE, as the federal agency in question, does end up with all the discretion, perhaps then what we should all do is fire off some letters to Arne Duncan, the Secretary of Education, personally? Even if he isn't involved directly in the initial discussions and debates about how the cuts will be made, his signature will probably be mandatory on the finalized documents that are submitted to Congress. I just read his most recent position international education and language learning, which is posted on the DoE website. There he makes more than one reference to the importance of language learning and "smart power." I'm definitely going to use both in the letter I write...Thirty days is a lot of time for them to haggle: we could have an impact.

I think this is a great idea. I'm also going to write a letter to Duncan. Couldn't hurt.

The way I see it, Title VI / Fulbright Hays folks are going to have to figure out ways to make an impossible budget work. They may choose to eliminate whole program areas, make smaller cut backs across the board, who knows?

For the Hays, it seems safe to assume that the number of grants awarded will shrink.

Personally, I'd rather see them award smaller grants to the same number of people as in past years.

An idea:

Assuming the budget with all it's hurtful Title VI/Fulbright-Hays cuts does get the final seal of approval in the next few hours, as most of us seem to think that it will, and the DoE, as the federal agency in question, does end up with all the discretion, perhaps then what we should all do is fire off some letters to Arne Duncan, the Secretary of Education, personally? Even if he isn't involved directly in the initial discussions and debates about how the cuts will be made, his signature will probably be mandatory on the finalized documents that are submitted to Congress. I just read his most recent position international education and language learning, which is posted on the DoE website. There he makes more than one reference to the importance of language learning and "smart power." I'm definitely going to use both in the letter I write...Thirty days is a lot of time for them to haggle: we could have an impact.

That's a good idea. It can't hurt. Let's do it.

I think at this point 40% is a worst case scenario. They aren't going to cancel the program outright.

An idea:

Edited by laska

Thank you @FormerSoviet for bringing to our attention the need to write to DoE. I think this is a great idea and am going to ask my friends to write letters as well. Just a few brief questions:

1) Do you have an email address or fax number that we can send our letters to?

2) Do you think students would be willing to contact their department listhosts to ask other applicants to write letters as well?

3) Do you perhaps have a sample draft of a letter that we can use as a template for writing our own individualized letters?

Many thanks in advance.

To rally more support on grad student mailing lists for writing letters to Congress and DOE, we might also point out that these cuts will affect FLAS as well. Most people who apply for Fulbright-Hays apply for FLAS as well, so these issues are bundled.

Thank you @FormerSoviet for bringing to our attention the need to write to DoE. I think this is a great idea and am going to ask my friends to write letters as well. Just a few brief questions:

1) Do you have an email address or fax number that we can send our letters to?

2) Do you think students would be willing to contact their department listhosts to ask other applicants to write letters as well?

3) Do you perhaps have a sample draft of a letter that we can use as a template for writing our own individualized letters?

Many thanks in advance.

For those interested in writing to Arne Duncan, it does not seem like the DoE publishes an email address, phone, or fax for his office in the same manner that this information is published for someone like Obama. So it looks like we will have to rely on the US Mail. There is a very general address on the DoE website, but the grassroots organization "Kids Together, Inc," which lobbies for children with disabilities, offers a more specific address:

Arne Duncan

U.S. Secretary of Education

Room 7W301

FOB-6

400 Maryland Avenue SW

Washington, DC 20202

I have also been encouraging other scholars, friends, family, and just about everyone I know to write. I do not think it could hurt to ask permission to circulate this to the graduate fellowship listservs at our various universities.

Thank you everyone and good luck!

Edited by FormerSoviet

Sorry to be the optimistic one here... A prof, who also runs one of the area studies programs at my university, told me today that the cuts to Title VI and FH were not "set in stone" and that many people are "not going to let it happen" and she "couldn't imagine that under the Obama administration this program would get such large cuts." Ergo, keep sending those letters, making those calls - there are university officials all over the country doing the same.

viva la fulbright hays!

hey guys, sorry to ask for such a huge favor... but i'm abroad this semester and i'm worried my snail mail won't get there in time. would anyone with a few minutes to spare be willing to help me locate any emails or fax numbers to which i can send my protest letter to?

again, sorry to have to ask, but i really do want to add my voice in support of the fulbright-hays and so far i can only find a snail mail address...

any help would be greatly appreciated

Mindy -- here is the DoE organizational directory from the "contacts" section of the DoE website.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/or/org_directory.pdf

You might think of a better way to approach this, but one way would be to call the office of the secretary and ask for a fax number.

Regarding optimism, it is very welcome.

Given the situation, it would behoove us to write Obama as well.

hey guys, sorry to ask for such a huge favor... but i'm abroad this semester and i'm worried my snail mail won't get there in time. would anyone with a few minutes to spare be willing to help me locate any emails or fax numbers to which i can send my protest letter to?

again, sorry to have to ask, but i really do want to add my voice in support of the fulbright-hays and so far i can only find a snail mail address...

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks @laska!

after doing some research, i did come across this contact info:

Department of Edu - Media and Press Office:

email press@ed.gov

For Arne Duncan:

email arne.duncan@ed.gov.

fax (202) 401-2854

White House:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

And, of course as others have already mentioned, you can also email and write to your congressional reps!

If you haven't already written your letters to Secretary Duncan, President Obama, and your various reps, I highly recommend you look at this letter to model language and format:

http://www.nafsa.org/uploadedFiles/NAFSA_Home/Resource_Library_Assets/Public_Policy/CIE%20Letter%20to%20Sec%20%20Duncan(1).pdf

thanks y'all -- let's keep up the momentum!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The National Humanities Alliance is organizing a letter-writing campaign to try and save the Fulbright-Hays from the drastic cuts proposed in the recently passed budget.

To make it easier for all of us, they have created a simple online system for writing to our congressional reps about this important issue:

http://www.congressweb.com/cweb2/index.cfm/siteid/NHA/action/TakeAction.Contact/lettergroupid/12

Please forward this information to your respective dept. administrators, student listhosts, etc.

The more letters we can submit, the better it will be for all of us!

If for any reason you prefer to snail mail your letter, here is the suggested text from the National Humanities Alliance:

As a constituent, I ask for your strong support for the Dept. of Education's International Education and Foreign Language Studies programs (IEFLS), including HEA-Title VI and Fulbright-Hays. It is reported that the final FY11 spending agreement may include a severe $50 million or 40% cut to these programs. A cut of such magnitude will devastate these small but vital programs to our national interest. Please help save the IEFLS programs by contacting Appropriations Committee and Labor/HHS/Ed Subcommittee leaders with the urgent request to restore these programs in the FY12 appropriations to the FY10 enacted level of $125.9 million.

- The 14 IEFLS programs form the core infrastructure of the federal government's investment in advancing both broad global literacy for our citizens, and ensuring a pipeline of expertise for government, business, and non-profit sectors.

- These programs play an important role in supporting our nation's long-term national security, global leadership, economic competitiveness, as well as mutual understanding and collaboration around the world.

- They support comprehensive language and area study centers, research and curriculum development, opportunities for American students and scholars to study abroad, activities to increase the number of underrepresented minorities in international service, and outreach to K-12 schools and higher education institutions. Instruction is provided in over 130 languages and 10 world areas, with emphasis on the less commonly-taught, strategic languages and areas of the world. Most of these languages would not be regularly taught but for this support.

- The IEFLS programs were funded at $125.9 million in FY10, the same level requested by the President for FY12. The final FY11 CR (HR 1473) does not specify a funding level for these programs; however, House Appropriators released a list that includes $50 million in cuts for IEFLS. The Secretary of Education is currently determining the final amount.

I urge you to help maintain our nation's international education capacity, which has taken decades to build, through the IEFLS programs.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The National Humanities Alliance is organizing a letter-writing campaign to try and save the Fulbright-Hays from the drastic cuts proposed in the recently passed budget.

To make it easier for all of us, they have created a simple online system for writing to our congressional reps about this important issue:

http://www.congressw...ettergroupid/12

Please forward this information to your respective dept. administrators, student listhosts, etc.

The more letters we can submit, the better it will be for all of us!

Wowwww..... just got another update from our Fulbright coordinator:

Hi there,

I just got the following email from the Department ofEducation Program Officer who manages the DDRA Program:

We are e-mailing institutional project directors who had student applicants for the FY 2011 Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) program. We hope to make a final announcement regarding the competition soon. We did want to e-mail all project directors and give the following advice. If your students have received offers from other funding agencies, we strongly suggest they accept the offers. We do not want any student to miss an opportunity while waiting for the final word on the DDRA competition. Please pass this information on to your students as soon as possible, as we will only be contacting project directors.

I wish had more news! I will be in touch when I hear more.

Edited by quiqui

I got a very similar email from our coordinator today:

I am writing to update you on the status of your application for the Fulbright Hays

Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) program. We hope to have a final

announcement regarding the competition soon. However, Department of Education is

strongly suggesting that if you have received offers from other funding agencies

that you accept the offer. I agree with this suggestion. We do not want you to

miss an opportunity while waiting for the final word on the DDRA competition.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

BTW, I think the first line is kind of cruel given that the status update is really "no news yet.":rolleyes:

So, do we think that soon actually means soon, or is that just the standard line?

I got the same email today. Wrote back the coordinator and asked when she thought announcements would be made, since "soon" is so vague.

She thinks sometime in May.

The part about "strongly suggesting" people take other offers if they have them is depressing me.

Sound to me like they know they're handing out a lot fewer grants this year.

that's one way to read it, but i suspect they have been getting lots of inquiries long the lines of "i have x fellowship or i need to notify y organization of my plans immediately -- when will you have the results?"

I got the same email today. Wrote back the coordinator and asked when she thought announcements would be made, since "soon" is so vague.

She thinks sometime in May.

The part about "strongly suggesting" people take other offers if they have them is depressing me.

Sound to me like they know they're handing out a lot fewer grants this year.