MA Columbia or NYU

Politico

Hi all

Im narrowing down my shortlist for one year Master degree programs, and would like some input on Columbia vs NYU. International applicant, mid-career.

My interests is in international relations and political theory, and Im more oriented towards historical than quantitative methods.

CU: 10 months, 40k tuition with no funding, heavy quant method requirement

NYU: 12 months, 50k tuition but with matching funding for Fulbright fellows

It would really be helpful to get some information from people who knows more about these programs.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Im narrowing down my shortlist for one year Master degree programs, and would like some input on Columbia vs NYU. International applicant, mid-career.

My interests is in international relations and political theory, and Im more oriented towards historical than quantitative methods.

It would really be helpful to get some information from people who knows more about these programs.

I can't speak to NYU's program, but if you're talking about the Columbia PoliSci MAO program (and not SIPA), the quant method requirement is not particularly stressful. You'd probably take an intro mathematical methods course followed by game theory. There is also a seminar on qualitative methods, though that does not count towards fulfilling the methods requirements.

If you have other questions, I'll try to answer them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

NYU is an extremely quantitatively oriented school. I don't know much about their methods requirements at the master's level, but if you're looking in studying IR from a less quantitative perspective, I think Columbia might be your better bet.

• 4 months later...

I can't speak to NYU's program, but if you're talking about the Columbia PoliSci MAO program (and not SIPA), the quant method requirement is not particularly stressful. You'd probably take an intro mathematical methods course followed by game theory. There is also a seminar on qualitative methods, though that does not count towards fulfilling the methods requirements.

If you have other questions, I'll try to answer them.

Hi EliAle, I'm interested in the MAO program as well. I was wondering if you know about Ph.D application outcomes for its MA graduates?

For Politico, may I ask when did you know you got admitted to the MA at Columbia? My application is still pending now...

• 2 years later...

Hate to bump this thread, but I had a question pertaining to this topic: does anyone have thoughts between the two terminal MA programs at Columbia vs NYU?

Just comparing degree requirements (http://polisci.columbia.edu/graduate-programs/freestanding-ma-program/degree-requirements and http://politics.as.nyu.edu/object/politics.1315.grad.progreq.ma), NYU requires a master's thesis while Columbia does not. For someone intending to go onto a doctorate program, would the master's thesis provide better training than not having to complete one? Columbia is also noted as a one-year program, while NYU says the average is 3 semesters.

Edited by AnotherGradHopeful