Not much SW experience, do I even have a chance at UCLA?

pearl7

Hello everyone,

I am new here and could really use some honest advice. I really want to apply to UCLA MSW program for Fall 2012.

I am a Communication Studies major at Cal State Northridge, graduating Summer 2011. Enlightened by much of the coursework I have taken (i.e gender studies, sociology, intercultural studies, anthropology, performance for social change, etc) I have decided that I want to pursue a career in social work-helping those on the margins.I've arrived at this decision after much thought. If I knew a year and a half ago that social work would be my career choice, I would have chosen a different major. However, communication studies has been a very broad, theoretical education and I've learned a lot.

Heres my stats:

GPA currently 3.93 with 90 units in. I seriously doubt, with the 30 units I have left, that it will dip below 3.8-3.75.

Non-Traditional student: 43 years old, 18 years work experience (unrelated to social work-I was Director of Retail for a famous women's apparel chain, so I have lots of mentorship/leadership experience) Went back to community college at 39.

GRE not taken yet, but I will do everything I can (Kaplan course, etc) to insure a competitive score.

Will produce strong personal statement and solid LORs. Also, I believe I can show compelling reasons why I'd be a good fit for this kind of work.

I also was awarded Outstanding Junior in the Communication Studies dept for the 2009-2010 year.

I have volunteered at my daughters elementary school for the past couple years, but thats about it.

Do you think one year of solid social work experience before I apply will be enough to make me a competitive applicant? I'm going to find a volunteer opportunity asap. I also applied to be a peer counselor at CSUN in the Spring, helping young women with eating disorders/disordered eating/body image issues. I will also try to get a internship in social work/counseling, if the communication dept will approve it for college credit.

Honest input is really appreciated! I'm pretty sure I can get into a Cal State school, but UCLA is my dream. I'm hoping my age and life experience works for me instead of against me.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

Have you contacted anyone at the UCLA Social Welfare Program? You should start there if you haven't. Call the admissions office and get some feedback. Also see if you can arrange to speak to current students.

From what you've shared so far, I think you should pursue your dream.

Hello everyone,

I am new here and could really use some honest advice. I really want to apply to UCLA MSW program for Fall 2012.

I am a Communication Studies major at Cal State Northridge, graduating Summer 2011. Enlightened by much of the coursework I have taken (i.e gender studies, sociology, intercultural studies, anthropology, performance for social change, etc) I have decided that I want to pursue a career in social work-helping those on the margins.I've arrived at this decision after much thought. If I knew a year and a half ago that social work would be my career choice, I would have chosen a different major. However, communication studies has been a very broad, theoretical education and I've learned a lot.

Heres my stats:

GPA currently 3.93 with 90 units in. I seriously doubt, with the 30 units I have left, that it will dip below 3.8-3.75.

Non-Traditional student: 43 years old, 18 years work experience (unrelated to social work-I was Director of Retail for a famous women's apparel chain, so I have lots of mentorship/leadership experience) Went back to community college at 39.

GRE not taken yet, but I will do everything I can (Kaplan course, etc) to insure a competitive score.

Will produce strong personal statement and solid LORs. Also, I believe I can show compelling reasons why I'd be a good fit for this kind of work.

I also was awarded Outstanding Junior in the Communication Studies dept for the 2009-2010 year.

I have volunteered at my daughters elementary school for the past couple years, but thats about it.

Do you think one year of solid social work experience before I apply will be enough to make me a competitive applicant? I'm going to find a volunteer opportunity asap. I also applied to be a peer counselor at CSUN in the Spring, helping young women with eating disorders/disordered eating/body image issues. I will also try to get a internship in social work/counseling, if the communication dept will approve it for college credit.

Honest input is really appreciated! I'm pretty sure I can get into a Cal State school, but UCLA is my dream. I'm hoping my age and life experience works for me instead of against me.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hello. You should definitely apply. I was just accepted into UCLA's MSW program and I applied directly from undergrad. I have done volunteer work throughout high school and college but have no direct social work experience. Judging by your stats you look like a strong candidate. Let me know if you have any more questions or want more info.