adjunct LOR?

Presbygeek

Is it okay to ask an adjunct for a letter of recommendation? I go to an EXTREMELY conservative college and I am not conserative at all. I'm the most liberal person on teh campus.

I have taken two classes with an adjuct (his regular job is teaching at the local high school and only teaches 2 classes per semester at our college). He's not a professor but he is the person on campus that I have connected to the most. He isn't super conservative like everyone else (but nowhere as liberal as me).

One is look bad if I asked him for one of my 2 academic LOR?

1. It would be better to have a college professor write your LOR, no doubt.

The question is whether it will do you any harm if an adjunct writes a LOR. I guess it depends on the admissions committee in each college.

2. Why does it matter that the faculty who's writing your LORs are conservative and you are liberal?

1. It would be better to have a college professor write your LOR, no doubt.

The question is whether it will do you any harm if an adjunct writes a LOR. I guess it depends on the admissions committee in each college.

Also on the reputation of the adjunct. If he/she is very well known and respected, his/her recommendation could be just as much of a plus as that of a full professor. DrFaustus

2. Why does it matter that the faculty who's writing your LORs are conservative and you are liberal?

I wondered that too.

DrFaustus

Edited by DrFaustus666

The school I attend is extremely conservative in every aspect. In that respect, so are the faculty. I am a female theology major in a male-focused setting that I have been told that women have no place in. I am afraid that the recommendation of most of the faculty on campus would reflect this. They do not believe I should be going on to a higher degree in this field and in fact do not believe that I should be in this field at all. The adjunt who I would seek a recommendation from is not of this opinion.

Well, the attitude of your faculty begs the question, "Why did they admit you in the first place?" if they're so staunchly opposed to women as clergy or theologians (I'm guessing from your program: M. Div.).

Be that as it may, you can directly ask the regular professors if they'd be able to write you a good recommendation -- assuming of course that you can trust them to give you an honest answer.

If the answer is yes, then at least one regular professor's recommendation would be advisable. If not, then ask the adjunct for a recommendation.

I'm sorry to hear that such misogyny still exists. Women have proven themselves to be equally adept with men in every human endeavor except for fathering babies and a few athletic areas where a man's muscular build gives him an advantage.

Indeed (I'm sure indulging in polemics is frowned upon in this forum, but here I go anyway) the Catholic Church would have benefitted immensely from the presence of women in its priesthood, if for no other purpose than to serve as whistle-blowers against the astonishing number of pedophiles who've been flushed out of the woodworks in the last 15 years.

Good luck,

John