East Lansing, MI

Guest anisa

What do you need to know? Apartments, restaurants, MSU? I was at MSU for 5 years and lived off-campus for the last. Plenty of apartments north of campus / Grand River, and west and east of there, though transportation becomes an issue the further out you are, particularly to the east. There are a lot of restaurants and bars / pubs on Grand River border the campus itself. Rent isn't too bad. I split a house with 3 friends and paid around $450 per month plus my share of utilities in an area walkable to campus. Noise can be an issue depending on the street / neighborhood, as MSU is a huge school and there are inevitably a lot of parties and frat houses. All in all, I think it's a decent place to be, made better with a car for off-campus excursions (campus itself is doable by bike). Do you have any more specific questions?

There's also another thread further down:

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to echo a previous question--is it really impossible to get around without a car? I would prefer not to have to worry about parking, etc unless it was absolutely necessary. Are the buses reliable and/or convenient? Looking through craigslist hasn't really been that fruitful...can anyone recommend places to look at possible apartment rentals?? Are there any neighborhoods in particular I should avoid?

I wanted to echo a previous question--is it really impossible to get around without a car? I would prefer not to have to worry about parking, etc unless it was absolutely necessary. Are the buses reliable and/or convenient? Looking through craigslist hasn't really been that fruitful...can anyone recommend places to look at possible apartment rentals?? Are there any neighborhoods in particular I should avoid?

I lived in East Lansing for two years without a car. You can move around campus either by walking, riding a bus, or biking. If you dont want to have a car, live in apartments that have access to line 1 CATA bus, which runs every 10 minutes. I found other bus lines are just too slow to be reliable. I'd suggest you to get a bike if you dont want a car. Apartments in these areas are nice: east grand river, oakridge avenue, coolidge rd, northwind drive (ok-ish), etc

I moved from East Lansing six years ago, hopefully things dont change that much. :)

Edited by beanbagchairs

I am an incoming Ph.D. student in Fisheries and Wildlife and I'm looking for a one bedroom one bath apartment near campus for myself and my husband. I will, however, be living on my own the first year while he does a program away from Michigan. I will not have a car or bike, so being on a good, reliable bus route is a MUST for me. I do not wish to be near undergrad areas of campus. I am looking for something affordable, quiet, safe, and grad student/family friendly. With accessible grocery store, etc. Does anyone have any suggestion on areas to focus my search on, and specific buildings or townhouses to look at? I have heard many different things, but some people have suggested areas that look a bit far from campus to me...I'm not from the area so I am not so familiar. I will be on a graduate student fellowship and prefer to pay 600 and under if possible...max 650. Please advise....thanks!

I am an incoming Ph.D. student in Fisheries and Wildlife and I'm looking for a one bedroom one bath apartment near campus for myself and my husband. I will, however, be living on my own the first year while he does a program away from Michigan. I will not have a car or bike, so being on a good, reliable bus route is a MUST for me. I do not wish to be near undergrad areas of campus. I am looking for something affordable, quiet, safe, and grad student/family friendly. With accessible grocery store, etc. Does anyone have any suggestion on areas to focus my search on, and specific buildings or townhouses to look at? I have heard many different things, but some people have suggested areas that look a bit far from campus to me...I'm not from the area so I am not so familiar. I will be on a graduate student fellowship and prefer to pay 600 and under if possible...max 650. Please advise....thanks!

Have you tried to look around the west grand river area, especially those areas around the Frandor shoping centre. I used to live in oakridge avenue and I think you may like it there. I'd suggest to look around these areas: oakridge avenue, glenmoor Rd, Highland avenue. If you live in these areas, you can just get a bike for commuting from and to campus. If you dont want to have a car, then I'd suggest you to get an apartment where you have an access to bus no 1. I found other bus routes to be too slow. Living in East Lansing is doable without a car, but not very convenient.

Have you tried to look around the west grand river area, especially those areas around the Frandor shoping centre. I used to live in oakridge avenue and I think you may like it there. I'd suggest to look around these areas: oakridge avenue, glenmoor Rd, Highland avenue. If you live in these areas, you can just get a bike for commuting from and to campus. If you dont want to have a car, then I'd suggest you to get an apartment where you have an access to bus no 1. I found other bus routes to be too slow. Living in East Lansing is doable without a car, but not very convenient.

Hi Mocha, thanks for the suggestions. Are there any specific apartment complexes you recommend I look at in those areas?

Hi Mocha, thanks for the suggestions. Are there any specific apartment complexes you recommend I look at in those areas?

I like East Knolls apartments, oakridge apartments, etc. Sorry, I forgot their names :( It's been awhile. I still remember the neighborhoods though. if you have a specific apartment complex in mind, I can let you know what I think about it (proximity to undergrad crowds, access to campus, etc)

You can take a look at properties owned by dtn management. Some of their properties are very nice. http://www.dtnmgt.com/

Sorry I dont know the current rent in EL. Back in 2005, I paid around ~600 for a ***very*** spacious one bedroom on oakridge avenue, which came with a (shaded) one car parking spot.

I like East Knolls apartments, oakridge apartments, etc. Sorry, I forgot their names :( It's been awhile. I still remember the neighborhoods though. if you have a specific apartment complex in mind, I can let you know what I think about it (proximity to undergrad crowds, access to campus, etc)

You can take a look at properties owned by dtn management. Some of their properties are very nice. http://www.dtnmgt.com/

Sorry I dont know the current rent in EL. Back in 2005, I paid around ~600 for a ***very*** spacious one bedroom on oakridge avenue, which came with a (shaded) one car parking spot.

Thanks a lot, this forum is very helpful. I am looking at Hillcrest Village in that area. East Knolls and Oakridge are all rented out for the fall :( I am looking for 2 bedrooms to share with one other person to bring the rent down, since I'm on a fellowship. I'm married but my husband got into a one year language program out of state, so i'm on my own for the first year. I agree with you--from what I can tell, I'm loving that area next to Frandor and would love to live there. Otherwise I'll have to settle for Spartan Village, which is too small :(

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say that the gay climate in Lansing/East Lansing is the best in the world, but it's certainly a lot nicer that other places I've lived in the state. MSU offers insurance for same-sex couples, there's just a lot of clever wording in the contract to make it legal under Michigans ridiculous laws. Even when Michigan made their laws more homophobic a couple years ago, MSU rewrote the contracts again to keep including everyone it had included before. I believe (though I'm not 100% certain) that the graduate union has the same language; so if you have an assistantship, your long-term partner would be eligible. Since there are something like 30,000 people on campus, there are always a handful of intolerant people, but as far as I can tell, they're outnumbered by people who are either actively supportive, or who at least think it's none of their business.

I assume that the gay bar in Old Town that was mentioned is the Spiral. I've been there several times, and while they do cater more to men, there are plenty of lesbians; and more than a few straight people who just like the place; it's a really fun time, they have theme nights and all sorts of entertaining things. There's also 505, which is the town lesbian bar, but I haven't been there for ages, so I'm not entirely sure it's still open.

As for non-bar, non-campus people, there's a wide range; but on the whole I think it's towards the progressive side.

To add to my earlier post, I have noticed that the political climate for gays isn't so hot. No form of partnership is legally recognized (marriage, civil union or DP) and even though it's been added to the current anti-collective bargaining bill, the language banning public institutions from offering DP health benefits was passed years ago (2008). I did read online that MSU is offering a pilot program to get around this ban by defining beneficiaries as "other eligible persons"--a non-union member of the household who has resided with the MSU employee for 18 months, making every effort to provide an inclusive environment.

That said, it's rough knowing that while attending graduate school, your partnership would largely be unrecognized or protected.

• 6 months later...

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if anyone has been through the Industrial/Organizational Psychology Ph.D program at MSU. Any feedback on the program, MSU, or East Lansing in general? I am married with two small children, so I am looking for a place to live that is relatively inexpensive and safe.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

So, I received an offer from MSU tonight and they are paying for me to visit. I've never been to East Lansing and I would love to hear any input on the city. I know it's a college town, so I can visualize typical features of such environments, but I wonder what else this city has to offer. Are there neighborhoods where grad students typically live? Is a car required to get around if I found a place to live near campus? Are there any food cooperatives or organic health food stores? Also, is there any type of art scene? I was excited to see that there are a couple annual festivals. I would love to hear any feedback and I apologize if I'm repeating things that have already been asked.

So, I received an offer from MSU tonight and they are paying for me to visit. I've never been to East Lansing and I would love to hear any input on the city. I know it's a college town, so I can visualize typical features of such environments, but I wonder what else this city has to offer. Are there neighborhoods where grad students typically live? Is a car required to get around if I found a place to live near campus? Are there any food cooperatives or organic health food stores? Also, is there any type of art scene? I was excited to see that there are a couple annual festivals. I would love to hear any feedback and I apologize if I'm repeating things that have already been asked.

Congrats! Me, too. I mean, I just received an offer also and will be visiting soon.

As far as I can tell, everything is pretty close if you live close to campus. I also have the same questions about access to organic food stores. I've never lived in the Midwest and am accustomed to fresh, available produce any time of year.

Congrats! Me, too. I mean, I just received an offer also and will be visiting soon.

As far as I can tell, everything is pretty close if you live close to campus. I also have the same questions about access to organic food stores. I've never lived in the Midwest and am accustomed to fresh, available produce any time of year.

Congrats, wildviolet!!! Which program and when are you planning on visiting? We should coordinate our travel dates so we can meet each other. This is exciting! Do you have a top choice?

Congrats, wildviolet!!! Which program and when are you planning on visiting? We should coordinate our travel dates so we can meet each other. This is exciting! Do you have a top choice?

Check your pm.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just got back from a visit to MSU. I liked everything about the university, but East Lansing was pretty suburban. Aside from the little downtown-ish area on Grand River, it seemed bland. While previous people in this forum have been playing down Lansing as a place to live, it seemed much more exciting to me-- interesting housing, revitalizing downtown, independent businesses, more diverse, etc. I assume that's just a difference of opinion and living styles, but I'd really like to hear from people who like Lansing proper. What do you like about it? What are some of the downsides? How's the area around Sparrow hospital? That's on the #1 bus line and seems bikable to campus. How about old town? Are the bus lines aside from the #1 really that unreliable?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi All,

I am an applicant for the PhD program in Materials Science and Engineering for this fall at MSU.

Have received an invite from the CHEMS department to visit during the Prospective Grad Students Weekend.

I was wondering if anyone else who has been thru this experience can share some of it with me.

Hey all, I'm moving to MSU in the fall to start a MS. I have the same questions as danactsalot. I'd love to be able to walk or bike to campus everyday, but I'm also not willing to live in an apartment complex if I can avoid it. Thus, I'm looking for a small house or duplex to rent - and if I can find one with any historial charm or character that would be great (but obviously not a deal breaker if it's just run of the mill.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for neighborhoods that would fit that bill?

Also, are there any great bike stores in town? I realize that the internet could supply me with things like new tubes and chain grease, but I'd be much happier buying from somewhere local.

Thanks!

Forgive me if this is posted twice - I just wrote a long reply but it seems to have disappeared.

I grew up in East Lansing and lived there for 18 years. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

A lot of graduate students with families (especially international students) live in the neighborhood called Red Cedar. It's directly next to the MSU campus, and there are lots of apartments in that area. I grew up in Central Neighborhood, which is walking distance to the west side of campus. It's a beautiful neighborhood, with a very mixed rent/own community. The rentals in that neighborhood, though, are full-size one-family houses. Other options are Spartan Village (an apartment complex near campus with lots of families) or apartments near the corner of Harrison Road and Lake Lansing Road. Some students choose to live in Okemos, which is the city next to East Lansing. I don't recommend living in Lansing proper.

Transportation on-campus is provided by the MSU buses, which is good because the campus is *huge*. There's no way that you could walk from one end to the other and still be on time for your next class. Off-campus, you'll probably want a car. There are city buses, but most of them are useless because they are scheduled so infrequently. The exception is the #1 bus, which runs the length of campus along Grand River Ave and will connect you to the mall and grocery store in Okemos. East Lansing is a great place to bike, so I highly recommend that as a mode of transportation in the summer. The city is really very flat, and there are bike lanes on most of the major streets.

Let me know what else you'd like to know. I love East Lansing, and I'm happy to share my knowledge.

Thank you so much for your post.

Watch Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax Online Free

@hphukan

I was there for Plant Science weekend. It was fine-- they gave us tours of everything and tried to sell us on MSU (did a good job). If you know who you want to work with, however, if might be advantageous to just skip the organized weekend and spend more one-on-one time with your prospective adviser. The weekend had a lot of programs that were not relevant to me.

@ninnescahsis

When I visited, I saw a grad student house in eastern Lansing (the city, not East Lansing). It seems that there are plenty of small houses/duplexes there that students rent or even buy (housing is super cheap). I'm curious if any students live in the Old Town area still, too. I agree about the bike shop, that would be nice.

I'm hesitant to trust that post from 2006. I think Lansing has probably changed since then. Also, it sounds like that person and I have different tastes in neighborhoods. Again, if someone who lives in Lansing wants to give a more thorough run down of Lansing neighborhoods and pros/cons, that would be much appreciated.

Ok - I google answered my own question about the bike shop. Lo and behold, there looks to be several!

SPIN - http://www.facebook.com/pages/SPIN-Bicycle-Shop/183145768378425

MSU bikes - http://bikes.msu.edu/

Denny's - http://dennyscentralparkbikes.com/

Velocipeddler - http://www.velocipedepeddler.com/

Riverfront Cycle - http://riverfrontcycle.com/

Totally awesome.