Fall 2011 Chemistry

tso123d

Caltech, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, UCLA, UT Austin, Scripps, University of Wisconsin-Madison (all in organic chemistry). Currently doing research at Caltech and has been awarded SURF for doing summer research at Caltech. Also published one paper in PCCP at EPFL, preparing for another one at Caltech. Also worked earlier as a research assistant at EPFL and University of Rostock.

What about others?

Edited by ccb

To facilitate the discussion, I guess I'll give my numerical stats:

GRE: 1400 composite (>700 quant)

GRE Chem: 95%

GPA: 4.0 at R1 university

~10 grad courses

3 years of research (2 different research groups)

1 summer research project

1 publication in a specialized journal (not 1st author...)

My letters will be great.

We shall see if these are good enough for where I applied.

I'd love some input on my profile. Here's what I've got:

GRE: 800Q 520V

GRE Chemistry: 860

GPA: 3.97 (4.0 major) at a small private university

3 Summer Research Projects- all REUs (one at a national laboratory, one in Brazil, and one at Penn State)

5 Semesters of research including a senior chemistry honors thesis

2 publications, one is primarily an undergrad journal (1st author), the other is in a specialized journal (impact factor of about 5) from my summer research in Brazil (also 1st author)

I expect my letters to be great- two from professors at my school, one from my advisor from Penn State who is well known in his field.

And I'm applying to UNC, U of Michigan, U of Illinois, MIT, and Penn State for chemistry (likely materials/inorganic depending on the programs each school has). I'm considering Penn State a safety school, my advisor has already invited me to his research group and is the chair of the graduate admissions committee, and we're currently working on a publication from my work this past summer. Any input, advice, or criticisms would be welcome.

GRE: 800Q, 670V, 6.0A

GRE Chemistry: 860

GPA: 3.96 (4.0 Major) at BC

Applying to Scripps, Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, CalTech, Columbia, Princeton, Penn

2.5 Years of consistent research in group of senior professor.

Looks like this forum has been somewhat self-selecting of who is posting considering the average chemistry GRE here is substantially above the accepted classes of every top 10 school.

GRE: 800Q, 630V, 4.5A

GRE Chemistry: 830

GPA: 3.99 (4.0 Major) at a small liberal arts college

J-term organic chemistry research, summer of bioinorganic/materials research, and two years of continuous organometallics research (with honors thesis) by the end of the year.

2nd author in an Organometallics paper and a JACS paper from different groups.

I'm applying to Columbia, MIT, Berkeley, Caltech, Irvine, Illinois, Seattle, Madison, Michigan, and Minnesota for inorganic/organometallics. Minnesota is basically my safety school for a variety of reasons.

It looks like we are pretty self-selecting; I hope we all do well!

Suppose I'll respond too.

GRE: 800Q, 670V, 4.5A

GRE Chem: 790

GPA: 3.68, 3.89 in chemistry

Research since summer after sophomore year, preparing manuscript now and presented a poster at a conference this past summer, honors thesis this year

Applying to Scripps, MIT, Harvard, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Caltech, and Columbia for O-chem (preferably physical organic)

And I have to agree, definitely don't feel as secure in my chances after seeing all of these!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody here sent in an application to columbia university for chemistry? If so, have they updated your status as of yet on the downloadable forms section of the application? I submitted my application 3 weeks ago and it hasnt been updated. thanks!

I submitted mine about a week ago and don't have any updated forms yet. Not to worry.

Has anybody here sent in an application to columbia university for chemistry? If so, have they updated your status as of yet on the downloadable forms section of the application? I submitted my application 3 weeks ago and it hasnt been updated. thanks!

In the same boat here, nothing has been added. I figure they're just being slow about updating anything.