Fall 2011 Chemistry

tso123d

First acceptance letter in... Accepted to Stanford by snail mail as of 12/14. Letter was postmarked 12/8 so was probably sitting in my mailbox for a few days.

Visit dates are Feb 26, March 5, March 12, March 19.

Congrats!

So looks like they have rolling admission. Hmm. maybe I shouldn't have waited until the day before the deadline :P

Congrats for Stanford!

When did you actually send all the documents?

Seems like you were really early in sending your documents :rolleyes:

Though, I have also sent the documents but I'm quite sure that I won't hear anything before late February as I am an international applicant!

@BCchemie: How many letters did you submit and did all of them belong to your home university?

Between, what's your home university and did you have any publications at the time of apping?

@BCchemie: How many letters did you submit and did all of them belong to your home university?

Between, what's your home university and did you have any publications at the time of apping?

I submitted 3 letters of recommendations, all from professors at Boston College. My research advisor, academic advisor, and a professor I had taken both an Honors Organic course and graduate Physical Organic course with.

I have not been published yet; however, am working independently on two projects which are pushing towards papers now.

)

I submitted 3 letters of recommendations, all from professors at Boston College. My research advisor, academic advisor, and a professor I had taken both an Honors Organic course and graduate Physical Organic course with.

I have not been published yet; however, am working independently on two projects which are pushing towards papers now.

Good luck for the papers! Hopefully, we'll see each other very soon. (I'm at Caltech currently)

Edited by ccb

CORRECTION TO WHAT I PREVIOUSLY POSTED

Stanford Visitation Days are Feb 24th, March 3rd, March 10th, and March 17th (Thursdays). That is so Berkeley visit days can be the following Fridays. If visiting both, there is a shuttle provided between the two schools.

@ccb - I look forward to meeting you. Good luck!

As an update, so far I've heard from UCSD and Northwestern. All else will have to wait for the end of the holiday shutdown it appears.

Have you heard only about admissions from these two universities or also about the support (RA/TA/Fellowship)?

Have you heard only about admissions from these two universities or also about the support (RA/TA/Fellowship)?

Both. However, I have only received e-mails in which the financial support was outlined, I was told that full details will be in the package I would receive by mail (which they said had already been sent out).

Edited by tso123d

I was first called by one of the profs I want to work with on Dec 28th, then got an email later that day with the invitation to the "interview." They have two choices: the last Thursday-Saturday of Feb or the first Thurs-Sat of March.

It sounds a bit private but can you tell me the name of Professor from whom you get the call? Is he the only Prof. whom you mentioned in your SOP or you mentioned some more in the same area?

Were you in touch with this Prof. before through email or he contacted you directly?

As per my account name, you can probably tell I'm interested in total synthesis, so in my SOP I listed the three big tot. syn people specifically (although I left other options as well since I'm interested in chemical biology). I don't want to be too specific, as anonymity is important, but I was not in contact with anyone at scripps before I was called.

As per my account name, you can probably tell I'm interested in total synthesis, so in my SOP I listed the three big tot. syn people specifically (although I left other options as well since I'm interested in chemical biology). I don't want to be too specific, as anonymity is important, but I was not in contact with anyone at scripps before I was called.

Thanks for your reply. It's fine to maintain anonymity :rolleyes:. Good luck for your interview and rest of the applications!

Edited by ccb

I didn't realize that any chem programs had an interview stage. Do you guys know if this is a real interview process where further selection takes place as is the case for bio programs or is this just a campus visit by another name?

I didn't realize that any chem programs had an interview stage. Do you guys know if this is a real interview process where further selection takes place as is the case for bio programs or is this just a campus visit by another name?

I ain't sure about others but Scripps has this interview just for formality. In general, it's another name for campus visit and most of the candidates get admission offers after the interview.

not really, i've heard from one of my profs that he knows people who didn't get in after interviewing. i.e. he said that they are the only ones who take the interview seriously.

Edited by aqu0

I also got a call from Scripps, the first one around the 22nd letting me know about being invited to the interviews, and then another call on the 27th from one of the prof's I mentioned wanting to work with telling me the same thing, and then got the e-mail detailing all the info. Talking to the first person who called me (I forget his name, but says he has been on the admissions committee for a number of years) but he said that if you're invited for an interview, unless you do something pretty stupid you have a very good chance of getting in.