Asian Studies 2011

IMN22

Yes, I have been admitted to OSU's EAS MA program. I would love to ask you some questions about the program.

I got the 11:30pm notice from Harvard about my acceptance to the History and East Asian Languages Program as well. Congrats to the others! :D

Fingers crossed to hear back from more schools soon.

IMN22: Were you accepted to the East Asian Studies M.A. program at OSU? They've been really hacking down the number of applicants since I was accepted in 2008.

----------

Current Degree: Ohio State University, East Asian Studies M.A. (will graduate this year).

Degrees being applied for: History (premodern Japanese history)

Schools Applied To: Harvard, Berkeley, OSU, Pitt, UMichigan, Pitt

Undergraduate School (or school type) Major: Gettysburg College, Japanese Studies

Experience in Asia or in Field: Study abroad Kansai Gaidai, Summer and Academic Year programs at Inter-University Center for Japanese Studies

I also checked my application status for UCLA's East Asian Studies MA and saw I have been admitted (no email yet though).

Sure thing! I should be graduating from it this spring (assuming I get my thesis in order... :P). Feel free to email me with any questions at curtpa01(at)gmail.com. Congrats!

Woohoo Cornell acceptance!

I was sincerely expecting across the board rejections because of my mediocre language training and only two months in my target country... but now I have some very hard decisions to make!

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted to grad programs~

Aroma Black: That is so great that you got the "grand prize." (I love the way you view the results!;)) Also, having an interview is super cool too. And you still have five more schools left! I'm sure you'll hear great news from some (or hopefully ALL) of them as well!

Kyjin: I know it must be frustrating to be in limbo regarding Yale and Harvard, but I think it is an honor that they are still considering you! For both of those elite programs to want you in their Masters programs...that speaks very highly of you. Since you haven't had any solid rejects yet, I'm sure some more offers will come rolling in!

yatto: What more can I say? You are like the King/Queen of EALC programs! :) Accepted by Cornell AND Harvard, not to mention waitlisted by Yale...Wow! Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm planning on reapplying to Yale next year, and I'd like any advice you can give me. :P

Paura: HARVARD!? Congrats! I'm sure more good news is on the way!

fumblewhat and IMN22: It's great to hear that you were accepted by UCLA! I'm sure more acceptances are on the way.

Congrats to the rest of the admits as well~ (Sorry if I left anyone out!)

I only have the one reject so far, but regardless of the results of the other schools, I am definitely going to reapply next year. I didn't apply to enough schools this year, and I know there are aspects of my application that I can improve. Any advice from admitted applicants is welcome! Thank you everyone for your support!:)

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted to grad programs~

yatto: What more can I say? You are like the King/Queen of EALC programs! :) Accepted by Cornell AND Harvard, not to mention waitlisted by Yale...Wow! Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm planning on reapplying to Yale next year, and I'd like any advice you can give me.

Thanks so much! It really means a lot. :)

My stats:

GPA 3.69 (3.79 major)

GRE 800V 730Q 6.0AW

1. Letters of recommendation matter more than anything for getting into these places... a colleague they respect saying "Take this person, they're perfect for your program." That's the number one thing, as far as I can tell.

2. My best advice is to "brand" yourself in your SoP. Be the "_____" candidate. I'm not saying use buzzwords or anything, but this advice will apply throughout an academic career. You want to be the "____" guy or the "____" girl at conferences, job searches, etc. Don't limit yourself, but find a common thread throughout all of your research so far, and then extrapolate it to what you could do. 75% of my SoP were summaries of my three independent studies—this is sometimes warned against, but I call bs on that—with an emphasis on their commonalities and how I hope to extend my research in the future.

Thanks so much! It really means a lot. :)

My stats:

GPA 3.69 (3.79 major)

GRE 800V 730Q 6.0AW

1. Letters of recommendation matter more than anything for getting into these places... a colleague they respect saying "Take this person, they're perfect for your program." That's the number one thing, as far as I can tell.

2. My best advice is to "brand" yourself in your SoP. Be the "_____" candidate. I'm not saying use buzzwords or anything, but this advice will apply throughout an academic career. You want to be the "____" guy or the "____" girl at conferences, job searches, etc. Don't limit yourself, but find a common thread throughout all of your research so far, and then extrapolate it to what you could do. 75% of my SoP were summaries of my three independent studies—this is sometimes warned against, but I call bs on that—with an emphasis on their commonalities and how I hope to extend my research in the future.

Thanks for sharing the way you approached the application process, yatto! That actually helps me tremendously!

My stats:

GPA 4.0

GRE 650V 650Q 6.0AW (I'm considering retaking the GRE, but I'm not quite sure it's necessary. While my scores aren't stellar, they aren't bad, either. I'm on the fence about it. <_<)

I think I should be fine for the rec letters. I did graduate a couple of years ago, but my professors all seemed to support my decision to attend graduate school. I really don't know how to improve the rec letters, though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My fatal flaw in my application was my SOP. Looking back on it, I was way too generic. Most of my focus dealt with translation work I have done after graduating, and I never even discussed what I researched as an undergrad. My biggest problem is that even as an undergrad, I didn't do as much research as I did creative writing and translating. I even wrote a play as my senior thesis! I think I really have to, as you put it, "brand" myself as more of a researcher and less of a creative writer. I have advanced Japanese skills, but I think my lack of research experience (judged solely from my SOP) hurt my application. I know that next year, I will discuss more research and less information about my skills as a translator.:P

I have a feeling I'm going to be accepted by IU Bloomington (They pretty much already told me) and U Minnesota, but I really wanted to attend a more prestigious graduate program. I turned down elite colleges in favor of a state college as an undergrad due to financial concerns, but I really found the grade inflation to be intolerable at the state college. I really wasn't challenged there (hence the 4.0 GPA), so that's why I wanted to attend a more challenging graduate program. I wanted to attend either Yale or U Chicago, so I gambled by applying to only two highly selective grad programs, and ultimately, my gamble failed.

Sorry for all that information! I know a lot of you are still anxiously awaiting the results. I'm sure we're all going to find out within the next few weeks. I can't believe It's almost mid February! Again, good luck to all EALL/EALC applicants! :)

My fatal flaw in my application was my SOP. Looking back on it, I was way too generic. Most of my focus dealt with translation work I have done after graduating, and I never even discussed what I researched as an undergrad. My biggest problem is that even as an undergrad, I didn't do as much research as I did creative writing and translating. I even wrote a play as my senior thesis! I think I really have to, as you put it, "brand" myself as more of a researcher and less of a creative writer. I have advanced Japanese skills, but I think my lack of research experience (judged solely from my SOP) hurt my application. I know that next year, I will discuss more research and less information about my skills as a translator.:P

Definitely the SoP is where you have to be very research oriented, especially talking about the present and future. My advisor told me over and over 'be as specific as possible.' 'give documents you're using' etc. My SoP's all basically read as:

- Intro (goals)

- what I study and why the time period is significant, how much research is out there (citing a couple specific peoples' works-- this was good because I could mention people in the programs I was applying to),

- what my research is and what documents I'm using

- my language skills (citing OPI evals, language fellowships, and programs like the IUC)

- why that school/program and which professors and how their work overlaps with mine

I must have edited it a bazillion times. It might not have given me much character like a more personal SoP does or one from someone who's done creative stuff like you have, but I got to work with the personal aspects in schools that asked for Personal Statements.

Best of luck with remaining schools and any decisions to reapply! :)

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley

Rejected:

I should also add that I needed a killer SoP because my GRE's were only so-so. 560V, 620Q, 5.0 Analytical, if I recall. Taken in 2007. Even my own advisor told me that OSU (where I am now for my MA) might not take me based on that alone. So given how things turned out I'm fairly sure SoP has much more emphasis and GRE not as much as they used to... but I suppose it's variable by school.

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Rejected:

C_n - you mentioned you anticipated getting into Minnesota? Have you been contacted by the department? I was contacted by several profs who said they wanted to offer me admission, but weren't sure if they could fund me and had me fill out a FLAS application. I wonder if others have heard anything more definite.

I'm also into the Michigan MA, recommended for funding. These both seem like solid options, but I'm anxious to hear from Seattle and Columbia - has anyone heard anything?

C_n - you mentioned you anticipated getting into Minnesota? Have you been contacted by the department? I was contacted by several profs who said they wanted to offer me admission, but weren't sure if they could fund me and had me fill out a FLAS application. I wonder if others have heard anything more definite.

I'm also into the Michigan MA, recommended for funding. These both seem like solid options, but I'm anxious to hear from Seattle and Columbia - has anyone heard anything?

Columbia is always the slowest as far as I know.

Washington has contacted some applicants but I don't know if any official acceptances have gone out yet.

Prospective MA student @ IU Bloomington. Only applied to the one school for various reasons. The wait is killing me!

PS Anyone else trying to access gradcafe from a tablet?? It never loads for me.

Applied: IU Bloomington MA EAS (Korean/Comparative)

Accepted:

Rejected:

Actually, I haven't heard anything from Minnesota! I just have this feeling that I'll get accepted. I might be wrong, though....:P I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression! Considering that you've been contacted, and I haven't, it looks like they are considering you! I wasn't asked to fill out a FLAS application, which is probably a bad sign. I'm not that worried about it, though, since I've decided to reapply next year already. :)

Definitely the SoP is where you have to be very research oriented, especially talking about the present and future. My advisor told me over and over 'be as specific as possible.' 'give documents you're using' etc. My SoP's all basically read as:

- Intro (goals)

- what I study and why the time period is significant, how much research is out there (citing a couple specific peoples' works-- this was good because I could mention people in the programs I was applying to),

- what my research is and what documents I'm using

- my language skills (citing OPI evals, language fellowships, and programs like the IUC)

- why that school/program and which professors and how their work overlaps with mine

I must have edited it a bazillion times. It might not have given me much character like a more personal SoP does or one from someone who's done creative stuff like you have, but I got to work with the personal aspects in schools that asked for Personal Statements.

Best of luck with remaining schools and any decisions to reapply! :)

---

Rejected:

Thank you for the advice! I'm sure I'll do a lot better when I apply next year~ :)

Just heard from Berkeley's MA East Asian Studies this morning, waitlisted... A direct strike to limbo!

It says that their target is a cohort of 8 students, and the deadline for the decision of the admitted students is April 15th.

No information on the number of admitted applicants though.

It is possible for them to admit a whole more than 8 applicants to this point, right?

Does anyone know their policy? Hate to swamp into such situation.

Also, congrats to the admitted! Best wishes for those wait-listers, too.

Just heard from Berkeley's MA East Asian Studies this morning, waitlisted... A direct strike to limbo!

It says that their target is a cohort of 8 students, and the deadline for the decision of the admitted students is April 15th.

No information on the number of admitted applicants though.

It is possible for them to admit a whole more than 8 applicants to this point, right?

Does anyone know their policy? Hate to swamp into such situation.

Also, congrats to the admitted! Best wishes for those wait-listers, too.

oh no :(

I applied to this program too, but I have yet to hear back from Berkeley. Did you get an email from them?

Sorry I don't know their policy.

Did IUB mention anything about fellowships or funding?

I applied for a TAship (whis was a longshot, as my UG studies were in another area) but "budget constraints throughout the University have radically curtailed our ability to offer financial aid to even very deserving candidates."

On the bright side, we're given up to 2 years of deferment, so I may just hold off and prepare fellowship apps for 2012.

Yap, it's a mail. A mail which instantly woke me up prior to my morning coffee.

You can use the 'Results' function of this site( it's right under the banner icon) to check for results posted by others.

They already gave out some offer in the beginning of Feb.

oh no :(

I applied to this program too, but I have yet to hear back from Berkeley. Did you get an email from them?

Sorry I don't know their policy.

Yap, it's a mail. A mail which instantly woke me up prior to my morning coffee.

You can use the 'Results' function of this site( it's right under the banner icon) to check for results posted by others.

They already gave out some offer in the beginning of Feb.

you still have hope if you're waitlisted! I guess I will get my email of doom next week. At this point I just want to know...

Thanks! I see it. It looks like there is a large gap between admits.. they take so long and only admit a couple people at a time it seems :(

you still have hope if you're waitlisted! I guess I will get my email of doom next week. At this point I just want to know...

Thanks! I see it. It looks like there is a large gap between admits.. they take so long and only admit a couple people at a time it seems :(

I was luckily recently accepted into the Master's program at Berkeley :)

I was sent both a confirmation letter by the department and from the graduate department.

If you sign into the online application, there's a new category on the left that says "Decision Status."

If you click on it, you should be able to find out your decision.

Best of Luck!

I was luckily recently accepted into the Master's program at Berkeley :)

I was sent both a confirmation letter by the department and from the graduate department.

If you sign into the online application, there's a new category on the left that says "Decision Status."

If you click on it, you should be able to find out your decision.

Best of Luck!

Congrats!! Unfortunately, I don't have that category in my online application yet : ( This waiting is making me go crazy..