Asian Studies 2011

IMN22

Congrats!! Unfortunately, I don't have that category in my online application yet : ( This waiting is making me go crazy..

Has anyone heard any financial news from Harvard's HEAL program? I was notified on Feb 4th and they said financial info would be in the mail in about two weeks... nothing yet. It''s driving me crazy! Who sends that sort of thing by snail mail? :P

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan

Rejected:

I haven't, but I just heard from my potential adviser last week that the grad school had "officially" approved my admission, or something of that sort. He said that they'd be sending a letter shortly with financial info, which (since I haven't gotten it yet) I assume does mean snail mail. I think we just all get the standard package, though, which is something like $21-23k/yr guaranteed for 5 years, plus money for language study for the first two summers (and my adviser told me they would be willing to fund language study this summer too!). If you haven't already, you should read the EALC grad student handbook (or whatever they call it) - it's pretty comprehensive, including about financial stuff. It looks, for instance, like a 6th year of funding is basically guaranteed from the university dissertation write-up fellowship as long as you finish in 8 years or fewer.

Has anyone heard any financial news from Harvard's HEAL program? I was notified on Feb 4th and they said financial info would be in the mail in about two weeks... nothing yet. It''s driving me crazy! Who sends that sort of thing by snail mail? :P

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan

Rejected:

Hi All,

Glad to hear so many of you have been successful in yourattempts to enter M.A./Ph.D. programs. Funding or no, it’s still quite an accomplishment. For those planning to reapply next year, Iwould recommend taking a look at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL). I’m currently a Ph.D. candidate in theHistory program, with a focus on Japan, and the faculty and funding are exceptional. All students admitted to the History programreceive five years of guaranteed funding (including four summers) and there arenumber of internal grants for language study and research trips. Although Northwestern is not known for havinga strong emphasis on Asia, the (History) program is in a period of transitionand there seems to be a new focus on Japan/China/India. Plus, they don’t require GRE scores (or didn’twhen I applied) and you get full access to area libraries. I personally spend a great deal of timebrowsing the stacks at the University of Chicago.

Sorry if this sound a bit too much like an advertisement,but I really think Northwestern is overlooked by Asianists. Also, feel free to contact me if you havequestions about grad school more generally. I received my M.A. from the University of Oregon (History-Japan) beforemoving to the Chicago area. Seems like I have in academia FOREVER!

It seems like most, if not all, of us have received some responses. Has anyone come to a final decision yet? I'm still waiting on a few programs, but it's difficult not to weigh the acceptances I've gotten so far.

What criteria are you all using to make your decision? I've seen some good threads on other areas of the board about this, namely But I'm curious how people in area studies are approaching this. I also wonder how my fellow masters applicants are going about their decision making process.

Hope it's going well for everyone!

It seems like most, if not all, of us have received some responses. Has anyone come to a final decision yet? I'm still waiting on a few programs, but it's difficult not to weigh the acceptances I've gotten so far.

What criteria are you all using to make your decision? I've seen some good threads on other areas of the board about this, namely But I'm curious how people in area studies are approaching this. I also wonder how my fellow masters applicants are going about their decision making process.

Hope it's going well for everyone!

I don't expect to get in to my last few programs, so it's likely going to be Alberta for me. Yale and Harvard MAs are still a possibility, but I've received a very nice funding package from Alberta, plus it's a two-year program with a major name in my field, which should put me in a good position for PhD admissions in 2013.

I'm still waiting for my last two results, but I find myself leaning towards the schools that contacted me earliest in the process. Even if I get into those last two places, I'm not sure I'll have time left in my schedule to visit; the school that accepted me third (and perhaps has the highest name value) is probably going to suffer the same fate. It's unfortunate that they wait so long.

I'm completely up in the air at this point. Most schools have a relatively good fit for me, though I find myself perfering the more Japan, anthropology focused programs.

Here's a question: would any of you feel uneasy, as a masters student, having an adviser not on the tenure track? I have a perfect-fit adviser,but she's classified as a lecturer. That said, she indicates she has research responsibilites at her university and hasn't indicated that she'd be leaving during my stay (not that she would necessarily volunteer that). Her school is also a better situation for me and my significant other, and well ranked (if that matters). At the other programs, I would be working with more senior scholars with (potentially) better connections, if not perfectly matching research interests.

Any thoughts?

If funding comes through on any of my other programs, I think that would decide it for me. But I find myself drawn to this program because of the fit and personal convenience.....

Here's a question: would any of you feel uneasy, as a masters student, having an adviser not on the tenure track? I have a perfect-fit adviser,but she's classified as a lecturer. That said, she indicates she has research responsibilites at her university and hasn't indicated that she'd be leaving during my stay (not that she would necessarily volunteer that).

All else aside, I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to ask her if she'd be there during your whole stay. Professors (and lecturers) understand that these are big decisions.

I only got one acceptance (full tuition + stipend), so I guess you could say my choice is obvious; yet, I've already decided to wait and apply again next year. I haven't heard from all the schools yet, either, but I think it isn't a good sign if I haven't heard from them at this point...:(

I wouldn't mind having an adviser who isn't on tenure, but that's just me.

Edited by c_n

I wouldn't mind having an adviser who isn't on tenure, but that's just me.

I don't think I'd mind either, generally. I'm more looking ahead for when I apply for my PhD, and wondering if it'd be better to have an advisor whose been in the field that much longer and would have that many more connections. My decision probably won't come down to that. It's just something I'm pondering.

I just got into the University of Michigan! It's my dream school. Their acceptance package could bankrupt a small developing nation. I've never seen so much glossy, color print paper in all my life. Funding results out in mid-March.

Have you heard anything from Minnesota?

I'm talking about the program in ALCM.

Actually, I haven't heard anything from Minnesota! I just have this feeling that I'll get accepted. I might be wrong, though....:P I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression! Considering that you've been contacted, and I haven't, it looks like they are considering you! I wasn't asked to fill out a FLAS application, which is probably a bad sign. I'm not that worried about it, though, since I've decided to reapply next year already. :)

Got rejected from McGill's M.A. program! This emphasizes the fact that there is no such thing as a "safe" school—I didn't get into the one I thought I was most likely to get into, and I got into the one I thought was my biggest reach.

Wow! Congrats on your acceptances to those great schools! This just means you're overqualified for your "safe" schools ;)

Got rejected from McGill's M.A. program! This emphasizes the fact that there is no such thing as a "safe" school—I didn't get into the one I thought I was most likely to get into, and I got into the one I thought was my biggest reach.

Could anyone tell me about the Asian program at UC Berkeley?

It's got good resources and some fantastic professors. I minored Chinese lit. during my undergrad years. However, the department is not very big. With the current economy, I am expecting less funding for the program.

Congrats Yatto on getting into Harvard!!!

Has anyone had any trouble with the application to Stanford's MA in East Asian Studies?

Turian, have you heard about your UCSD application? did you get any funding or anything? I haven't received any packages or funding information.:blink:

I just checked the online application system at UCSD and saw that I've been recommended for admission via message. So I'll probably get an email soon regarding official confirmation and financial stuff. They said I'll be considered for merit-based scholarships, but made no specific mentions. From what I read on their website, financial packages may not arrive until the beginning of April, maybe?

I also got accepted in Denver's Josef Korbel School, with a GPA/GRE based scholarship. Today has been a good day!!!

Now let's see about the other two schools....Anyone hear from Fletcher or Stanford yet?

Have you heard anything from Minnesota yet? I was notified that I was admitted with a five-year funding package in early Feb, but I have not yet received anything official by now. And my status online does not change either. I'm talking about the program in ALLC.

I was rejected by Minnesota last week. Sorry I can't help you with that one. And I thought they were my safety school....boy was I wrong! :lol:

Heard back from Duke. That leaves me waiting on 5 programs.

I don't remember if I said this before, but if you have any questions about OSU's EAS program, let me know- I'm in it. ^_^

---

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan, Ohio State, Pittsburgh

Rejected: