Gainesville, FL

Guest jyoti

On 3/2/2017 at 7:49 PM, Sam7mie said:

I'm concerned about the Gainesville housing prices. My stipend for my program is max 11,200 per annum. Is there housing I can even remotely afford? If not: What am I supposed to do with such a low stipend? 

Also, if you look around the 6th street area there are a lot of cute, but older houses for rent that are pretty cheap. It's not as close to campus, but it's a nice neighborhood (near Ward's Supermarket and Curia on the Drag). I rented a house in there with two other people and my rent was $450 a month, and technically we could have had a fourth person for even cheaper rent. If you prefer an apartment complex, there are several on Glen Springs Road/ 23rd Avenue that aren't super expensive, especially if you have roommates. Cobblestone, Brookwood Terrace, Madison Point, etc. Again, they aren't super close to campus, but they are on bus lines and bike-able. They are also away from the ridiculous Archer Road traffic. I grew up in Gainesville and live there now so if you have any questions about lesser known areas, feel free to message me.

On 3/6/2017 at 1:47 PM, Blackwater said:

From my research it looks like housing in Gainesville is very low, but 11k is a low stipend for anywhere in the US. I have seen two bedroom apartments for about $900, so if you were had a roommate you may be able to get by on a vey very tight budget. I would also look on craigslist as you might be able to share a room with someone for even cheaper. I would contact the current grad students are see what they have been doing; perhaps some of them are working jobs and/or taking out small loans. 

Yeah. The ONLY downfall of his program is that it has such a low stipend >.< 

I was on the UF grad housing website and noticed they had one bedrooms for $484- no roommates. I've also seen a lot of decent prices per bed (under $400) using apartments.com and hotpad.

Good Luck!

On 3/13/2017 at 8:04 PM, Sam7mie said:

Yeah. The ONLY downfall of his program is that it has such a low stipend >.< 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 9:11 PM, AfricanusCrowther said:

Does anybody know the best resource for finding a one bedroom or studio apartment for summer sublet in Gainesville? I'm trying to avoid renting a private room.

What time are you going to stay? Is there a price range? There're tons of subleasing in summer time, but they usually don't post online. You can call the managements of different apartments and ask them about summer sublease. I might have some friends' moving out this summer, if you can tell me the time and price maybe I can hook you up...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to sign a lease at The Continuum--it's graduate student apartments affiliated with UF. It's definitely a bit more expensive than what I wanted, but it's cheaper than the apartment I live in now (in the very expensive DC area) and I'll have a roommate. It looks like a really nice place and it's close to campus, there's guaranteed parking, amenities, etc. I won't be able to visit before I move down and won't be able to tour any other apartments, so a grad student living option seemed to make the most sense.

Also, I need to establish residency in FL during my first year down there, so I needed to quickly find a place where I could have my name on the lease rather than renting, subletting, etc. After my first year I'll probably move somewhere cheaper. It might be worth looking into for anyone still searching for a place to live who might be in a similar situation. Also, I kind of like the idea of living with a lot of other grad students my first year--it could be a nice way to meet new people/students outside my program.

• 5 weeks later...

@hantoo  I lived in Gainesville for a few years while my husband got his doctorate.  I know someone who lived at the continuum and had a great experience.  It was a nice place and the location is perfect.  You're extremely close to campus and you're only a few blocks away from downtown which has restaurants and bars that are more popular with grad students versus undergrads.  A few bars you'll be within walking distance to that were always fun: tall paul's, Rockey's dueling piano bar, and the midnight (has a great trivia night).  

If you like hiking around you're only a 15 min drive from the north entrance of Paines Prairie (this part is better than the south entrance in Micanopy)  Just google maps the La Chua Trail.  You should take SE 15th Street (you'll probably feel like you're lost at some point but it's at the end of the street).  This is a beautiful trail and I guarantee you will see animals.  There's tons of alligators, wild horses, bison, etc.  It's a great place to catch a sunset.  There's also a good biking trail at this entrance, it's not actually in the park though.  

We both loved our time in Gainesville and still try to get back every once in a while.  Some other things worth checking out Devil's Millhopper, Ichetucknee River (for tubing or kayaking), Satchel's Pizza, the Hyppo popsicles, Krishna lunch on Campus (located in the Plaza of Americas - cheap delicious lunch), butterfly rainforest and natural history museum, wok n' roll,  and the flying biscuit for breakfast/brunch.  If you're up for a day trip, drive over to St. Augustine or Cedar Key.  Good luck!  I hope Gainesville is as nice a home to you as it was to us.  

Edited by lms202

• 9 months later...

I was accepted to the UF masters program for Fall 2018, I am now looking for housing arrangements so I can be ready before the semester starts. It will be me and my partner who is not attending the school. I have looked into the Continuum, they seemed friendly on the phone and is within my budget. However they told me on the phone they need proof that my cosigners income has to be 3 times the monthly rent which is more than $3,000 even though i can afford the rent on my own with my graduate assistant position. And as of now the grad hosing has no openings but i cannot afford to take the chance to sign up with them a month before the semester starts. Any locals or alumni have any recommendations for affordable hosing with my partner that is safe and close to campus?

• 1 year later...

Hello! I just got accepted to a PhD program at UF and I will be visiting in March. I built in a day for myself to go and look around town and get a vibe for the housing and lifestyle of Gainesville. Any tips on restaurants, neighborhoods, museums, or other features I should make sure to visit?

Thanks!

On 2/19/2020 at 5:32 PM, KatThomp said:

Hello! I just got accepted to a PhD program at UF and I will be visiting in March. I built in a day for myself to go and look around town and get a vibe for the housing and lifestyle of Gainesville. Any tips on restaurants, neighborhoods, museums, or other features I should make sure to visit?

Thanks!

First of all, congratulations! I am a current undergraduate student at UF who will be starting in the criminology MA/PhD program next year. Most of the best restaurants are downtown. I would check out Harry's, which has pretty good Cajun food. Satchel's is also a must for pizza. I know the criminology orientation is meeting at Satchel's based on the schedule sent to us, but I am not sure if sociology will be also be there. 

There are two museums on campus: The Harn Museum of Art, and the Florida Museum of Natural History. Most people prefer the Natural History Museum because it has a butterfly garden inside. 

If you are trying to go out I would try to stay downtown. There are plenty of bars/clubs. I would avoid Midtown, which is north of campus on University Ave. It is mostly drunk undergraduate students; whereas downtown usually has an older crowd. 

Edited by kreq

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I was recently accepted to UF's Clinical Psych PhD program and am looking for some advice on relocating (my fiance and I are moving from the Cincinnati area). We have 3 dogs so moving into an apartment isn't the most feasible option for us, and we were hoping to buy a home but are now looking into renting one as well. Does anyone know of homes that may be coming up for rent or sale in the next few months, or neighborhoods it might be good to look into? We're planning a trip in May/June to scope out the area but wanted some ideas about the general area beforehand. Feel free to DM me as well.

Thanks so much for any help you can give! I'm excited to be a Gator in a few months :)