Gainesville, FL

Guest jyoti

@AnthroFilm no worries, it happens here! 

The Continuum looks quite nice but WAY out my price range unfortunately. I'm thinking max $700 a month (+ bills).

I've been looking at places to live, got my eyes on a few. Just waiting on funding to confirm I'll be heading to Gainesville. If I arrive beginning of August will that be too late to sign a lease on an apartment? I'd really like to see a place before I sign anything but my masters doesn't finish until 2 days before I will move and I can't afford the flights. I'm not opposed to living with someone, but I've had some terrible experiences recently and so I know I'd be quite picky so a 1 bed would probably be easier. Also, any idea on getting utilities started up without a credit history? (I'm guessing it's going to be an expensive first month or two). 

7 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

The Continuum looks quite nice but WAY out my price range unfortunately. I'm thinking max $700 a month (+ bills).

I've been looking at places to live, got my eyes on a few. Just waiting on funding to confirm I'll be heading to Gainesville. If I arrive beginning of August will that be too late to sign a lease on an apartment? I'd really like to see a place before I sign anything but my masters doesn't finish until 2 days before I will move and I can't afford the flights. I'm not opposed to living with someone, but I've had some terrible experiences recently and so I know I'd be quite picky so a 1 bed would probably be easier. Also, any idea on getting utilities started up without a credit history? (I'm guessing it's going to be an expensive first month or two). 

The accommodation situation is a total crap shoot. I have also had dicey experience with roommates so I can relate. When I moved to Manchester I found a shared flat on Gumtree and ended up living with 6 Spanish dishwashers in Fallowfield. Nice enough guys, but I had a constant contact buzz and now know every Skrillex album. I scoured Craigslist.com (like Gumtree) in Gainesville and from what I have been told those are also hit or miss.. You could find an absolute gem!

Other options include splitting a 2/2 or a 4/4 in an apartment building. They offer roommate matching at most of the en suite places. I considered it (private, furnished bathroom and bedroom is nice) but was concerned about the shared living room, washer/dryer and kitchen (can't stand a mess). If I find someone I get on with I may consider going that route next semester or just looking for a house to split, but not anticipating it. 

I spent the weekend in Gainesville two weeks ago and am heading back the first weekend in April for an admitted student weekend. I will gladly try to check out a few spots if you have specific places. I remember how much of a shock I went through moving to the UK for my masters degree so I am happy to help if I am able. 

9 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

A lot of the apartment complexes are currently filling up or renewing current leases for their fall semesters. They'll be signing new residents during the summer, but your chances will get slimmer as you get closer to August. 

One year I went the property management route, and rented a condo (very close to the Continuum) managed by a realty company. If you haven't been looking on Trulia or Realtor.com for condos for rent, I suggest that as well. 

I had to pay a deposit for setting up my utilities since I also had no credit history at the time. You'll probably have COX internet in your area. The total cost of start-up stayed below $250, IIRC.

On 3/7/2016 at 9:16 AM, AnthroFilm said:

The accommodation situation is a total crap shoot. I have also had dicey experience with roommates so I can relate. When I moved to Manchester I found a shared flat on Gumtree and ended up living with 6 Spanish dishwashers in Fallowfield. Nice enough guys, but I had a constant contact buzz and now know every Skrillex album. I scoured Craigslist.com (like Gumtree) in Gainesville and from what I have been told those are also hit or miss.. You could find an absolute gem!

Other options include splitting a 2/2 or a 4/4 in an apartment building. They offer roommate matching at most of the en suite places. I considered it (private, furnished bathroom and bedroom is nice) but was concerned about the shared living room, washer/dryer and kitchen (can't stand a mess). If I find someone I get on with I may consider going that route next semester or just looking for a house to split, but not anticipating it. 

I spent the weekend in Gainesville two weeks ago and am heading back the first weekend in April for an admitted student weekend. I will gladly try to check out a few spots if you have specific places. I remember how much of a shock I went through moving to the UK for my masters degree so I am happy to help if I am able. 

Yeah I've been on Gumtree, but am a little hesitant. I'd be more okay if I could visit in person but I quite want something I can sign up to. I was looking at 2/2, and would be happy to go into one if I knew the person I was sharing with (guy/girl it really doesn't matter) would be down for say a drink and a catch up once in a while, but I don't want them to be my best bud. Also, clean yes! I don't think I'm a bad housemate: I clean, I take trash out, I don't leave vomit in the toilet unflushed (yes my housemate did that yesterday), if I bake stuff I'll always leave something for roommates, I don't have people over, or if I do I run it by people first. It just bugs me that no one I seem to live with does the same.

Thank you so much for the offer - if I get the funding I might be taking you up on that! 

On 3/7/2016 at 10:45 AM, RCtheSS said:

A lot of the apartment complexes are currently filling up or renewing current leases for their fall semesters. They'll be signing new residents during the summer, but your chances will get slimmer as you get closer to August. 

One year I went the property management route, and rented a condo (very close to the Continuum) managed by a realty company. If you haven't been looking on Trulia or Realtor.com for condos for rent, I suggest that as well. 

I had to pay a deposit for setting up my utilities since I also had no credit history at the time. You'll probably have COX internet in your area. The total cost of start-up stayed below $250, IIRC.

Yeah I've been on Trulia and Zillow and PadMapper. As soon as I know funding, I'll be contacting places. Thanks for the info about start up for utilities - that's lower than I had anticipated so that's awesome news! 

No problem! Also, one of my best friends is a Ph.D. student (school psych) and she's lived in Hidden Lake apartments for the past two years with another friend in her cohort. I always stay with her when I go back to visit, and they're fairly nice while staying within their budgets. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of attending UF for grad school. Any perspective on what is it like for a grad school student to live in Gainesville? It seemed like a college town there and not a lot to do. I have always lived in a big city so it will be a big change for me. 

hi @newapplicant - I am also considering UF for my phd -trying to research which would be a better fit UO, Eugene or UF Gainesville..struggling over the decision..still:(

In answer to your query: Here are some of the online sites you could check out for entertainment: 

http://www.gainesvilledowntown.com/;

http://scene.gainesville.com/

there is also a decent startup culture in Gainesville:  http://gainesvilleconnect.com/work/startup/

Another really helpful resource I am tracking on this forum is @AnthroFilm who is  also attending UF & looking into places to move into- check out his posts. he has some great tips on where to hang out for coffee:)

hope this is of some help..all the best.

Greetings @New Applicant and @Sammi

From my weekend in Gainesville I found it very much like Boulder, Colorado or Charlottesville, Virginia. There is a large theatre (both live shows and films) as well as a vibrant dining and pub scene. There is also a small farmers' / craft market on the weekend. Depending on what you are interested in Gainesville will either be a great fit or a total bust. Like most college towns there is always something to get involved with, but it is usually aimed at youth, educational or activist oriented. My primary concern with Gainesville is that it seems fairly isolated. You don't need a car around town, but if you want to go anywhere else, some type of transportation is vital. It is about 2 hours drive to any decent size city (Orlando or Jacksonville, neither of which excite me). 

I have eaten at about four or five places there so far and like what I tried. The prices seem average for the offering, and the quality was enjoyable.

Just like Eugene, Oregon or many other college towns, it is a fairly liberal community in a very conservative state. I am personally more inclined toward Oregon's climate, geography, and culture (I currently live in Jacksonville, Florida). However, UF was my top choice perfect fit so I am getting excited regardless. I don't mean to sound negative, because Gainesville seems like it will be a great place to live. I just signed a year lease about half a mile from campus (right next to a shwarma shop and across from a coffee shop) So I am sure it will feel like home soon enough. 

I am going back the first weekend of April and will have a lot more to say after that trip. 

Good luck on both of your decisions!!    

Many thanks @anthrofilm! as always a real pleasure to see your updates.

please do keep us all posted on what you discover in April.

All the very best to you at UF!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about Madison on 20th Apartments or Hidden Village Apartments beyond what you can find via Google? I need a 1 bed/1 bath that is dog friendly and below $600/month. I was hoping these places were safe and decent. I live out of state and won't be able to tour. Thank you!

Hi @intrastellar not sure about these places and rent there but you could try using padmapper and zillow to check apts in the area you want. good luck.

On 4/13/2016 at 10:21 PM, intrastellar said:

Does anyone know anything about Madison on 20th Apartments or Hidden Village Apartments beyond what you can find via Google? I need a 1 bed/1 bath that is dog friendly and below $600/month. I was hoping these places were safe and decent. I live out of state and won't be able to tour. Thank you!

I drove past Madison on 20th when I was there two weeks ago. They seemed nice. They are on a two lane highway surrounded by lots of other apartment complexes (I was looking at a different one). I didn't see any signs of large parties or silly activity. The buildings are two story, a bit older, but that's no big deal and may work well with a dog. I didn't get an uneasy feeling and the few folks I did see there seemed nice. The property is big enough for a dog to run around a bit. My only drawback is that it is a bit removed, but it is on a busline. 

I didn't look at Hidden Valley.

Good luck!

On April 15, 2016 at 10:00 AM, AnthroFilm said:

I drove past Madison on 20th when I was there two weeks ago. They seemed nice. They are on a two lane highway surrounded by lots of other apartment complexes (I was looking at a different one). I didn't see any signs of large parties or silly activity. The buildings are two story, a bit older, but that's no big deal and may work well with a dog. I didn't get an uneasy feeling and the few folks I did see there seemed nice. The property is big enough for a dog to run around a bit. My only drawback is that it is a bit removed, but it is on a busline. 

I didn't look at Hidden Valley.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information!! I really appreciate the info on the feel of the place. Glad to hear no wild parties (probably helps that they don't have a pool :lol:) and that people seemed nice. Definitely useful info!

Edited by intrastellar

Hi Im womdering if anybody's interested in being a roommate? Im hoping to get a 2/2..Im a female grad student so Im very quiet, tidy and not really a party person...I'll be spending most of my time in my room reading and typing..I love animals so Im ok totally ok with pets (a moderate number and well-trained ones!) but I dont have any pets on my own...Im just starting out at UF..Im posting this request here because I prefer to room with a grad student who is quiet and clean.. I would like to keep the monthly rent below $ 600 all utilities included...If anybody's interested, plz reply! We can chat and see if we hit it off before making a decision..

Edited by hello_kitty
Typo

Hi everyone! I went to UF for undergrad and will be attending grad school elsewhere, but I wanted to chime and and say Go Gators! I have a few friends doing grad and med school and in terms of things to do, they usually stick to the downtown area, which A) sounds a lot cooler than when I was an undergrad and B ) will be less populated by undergrad students. One of my favorite restaurants is the Top. If you haven't already checked it out, I HIGHLY recommend it. That was my favorite restaurant for a special night out--excellent and quirky drinks and food and an all around good vibe. They don't take reservations though...

If you're an active person or an adventurer, there are tons of activities to do. I personally loved running on campus, and the football stadium is usually open to the public to run stairs! That's one of the biggest things I've missed since graduating. There's also a ton of great nature preserves and springs within driving distance so you can decompress on the weekends. 

Overall it's a very charming college town! I can't really speak to grad-friendly communities, except that I can vouch for Wildflower, where one of my friends lived during med school. If you have a car, I would recommend trying to rent a house with some classmates, unless you really want the perks of an apartment building. 

On 4/22/2016 at 2:27 PM, ErmahgerdAdulting said:

Hi everyone! I went to UF for undergrad and will be attending grad school elsewhere, but I wanted to chime and and say Go Gators! I have a few friends doing grad and med school and in terms of things to do, they usually stick to the downtown area, which A) sounds a lot cooler than when I was an undergrad and B ) will be less populated by undergrad students. One of my favorite restaurants is the Top. If you haven't already checked it out, I HIGHLY recommend it. That was my favorite restaurant for a special night out--excellent and quirky drinks and food and an all around good vibe. They don't take reservations though...

If you're an active person or an adventurer, there are tons of activities to do. I personally loved running on campus, and the football stadium is usually open to the public to run stairs! That's one of the biggest things I've missed since graduating. There's also a ton of great nature preserves and springs within driving distance so you can decompress on the weekends. 

Overall it's a very charming college town! I can't really speak to grad-friendly communities, except that I can vouch for Wildflower, where one of my friends lived during med school. If you have a car, I would recommend trying to rent a house with some classmates, unless you really want the perks of an apartment building. 

Thanks for the tips.. I tried the Top and it is amazing, any other suggestions (especially favorite coffee shops and where to avoid) are greatly appreciated!  

On 4/21/2016 at 5:08 AM, hello_kitty said:

Hi Im womdering if anybody's interested in being a roommate? Im hoping to get a 2/2..Im a female grad student so Im very quiet, tidy and not really a party person...I'll be spending most of my time in my room reading and typing..I love animals so Im ok totally ok with pets (a moderate number and well-trained ones!) but I dont have any pets on my own...Im just starting out at UF..Im posting this request here because I prefer to room with a grad student who is quiet and clean.. I would like to keep the monthly rent below $ 600 all utilities included...If anybody's interested, plz reply! We can chat and see if we hit it off before making a decision..

Wish I would have seen this before I signed a year lease on a studio apartment.. would love to have an English major roommate. With all of the papers I am writing you would never buy your own dinner or drinks 

3 hours ago, AnthroFilm said:

Thanks for the tips.. I tried the Top and it is amazing, any other suggestions (especially favorite coffee shops and where to avoid) are greatly appreciated!  

Maude's is a great coffee shop and it's also downtown, so far from the younglings. Pascal's is pretty good too, but it's in midtown so it tends to be busier and with more of an undergrad crowd. I also really enjoyed studying at the library in the art building! It's got these neat double decker carrels and it's a very underutilized library, probably because it's small, but also because it's not well known.

Also, while my overall tip is to avoid midtown as a grad student, I will admit that Salty Dog was a nice low-key way to unwind for an early happy hour! Stay too late and you'll be overcome by Greeks on bar crawls, but I personally loved going there after class on a Friday afternoon for an early drink with friends. I also ran into a fair share of grad students/TAs there!

Edited by ErmahgerdAdulting
bad english. it's friday.

• 1 month later...

Hello again. Well now I am seriously looking for an apartment/bedroom/individual lease. Do you have any opinions on 1) Towne Parc, 2) Point West or 3) Ridgemar Commons? 

I am a 28 years old international student and will be working full time in my contry until the first week of July  so I can't travel an search... Any input is appreciated.

If anyone knows of a place, please let me know !

Edited by jvpjvp

On 27/5/2559 at 9:00 PM, jvpjvp said:

Hello again. Well now I am seriously looking for an apartment/bedroom/individual lease. Do you have any opinions on 1) Towne Parc, 2) Point West or 3) Ridgemar Commons? 

I am a 28 years old international student and will be working full time in my contry until the first week of July  so I can't travel an search... Any input is appreciated.

Do you need a roommate? I'm also looking for an apartment, and I will need a roommate(s) to help cut the cost. I'm starting at UF this fall, so I still don't know much about Gainesville, but I think we can work together on finding the right place.

18 hours ago, TPSL said:

Do you need a roommate? I'm also looking for an apartment, and I will need a roommate(s) to help cut the cost. I'm starting at UF this fall, so I still don't know much about Gainesville, but I think we can work together on finding the right place.

yes !

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2016 at 10:00 AM, jvpjvp said:

If I weren't moving to California for graduate school, I would continue to live at Point West. It's super affordable, and the community is nice. The other two complexes you listed are south of campus -- traffic gets ridiculous in that area towards the end of the work day. It's really easy to commute to and from campus when living in Point West or the neighboring areas. I ended up living in the area for four years (three at houses) because I have been really happy with it.

• 8 months later...

I'm concerned about the Gainesville housing prices. My stipend for my program is max 11,200 per annum. Is there housing I can even remotely afford? If not: What am I supposed to do with such a low stipend? 

On 3/2/2017 at 5:49 PM, Sam7mie said:

I'm concerned about the Gainesville housing prices. My stipend for my program is max 11,200 per annum. Is there housing I can even remotely afford? If not: What am I supposed to do with such a low stipend? 

From my research it looks like housing in Gainesville is very low, but 11k is a low stipend for anywhere in the US. I have seen two bedroom apartments for about $900, so if you were had a roommate you may be able to get by on a vey very tight budget. I would also look on craigslist as you might be able to share a room with someone for even cheaper. I would contact the current grad students are see what they have been doing; perhaps some of them are working jobs and/or taking out small loans. 

On 2/27/2017 at 4:11 PM, Blackwater said:

Does anyone know of good apartment complexes for a one bedroom? 

I am moving down this fall and have a one bedroom arrangement with Madison on 20th. Because of current location the process has been conducted remotely, but the property manager has been fantastic in relaying all the information I've asked for. The apartments are quite large and in a good location for the price. Water, pest control, trash, and internet are included in the monthly rental price. I opted for the $505 per month lease, and electricity is estimated to be around $60 per month.