Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC

Hello,

I'm going to be starting a PhD at Duke in August. I will be moving from London to Durham and haven't been able to visit North Carolina so was hoping to get some advice regarding housing.

I would like to live between West Campus and downtown Durham such that I am within walking distance (< a 20 minute walk) of both. I would like to live in a house shared with 2-4 other people (most likely other graduate students). Can you suggest locations where I could find houses that fit these criteria? My budget is probably $500 - $700.

My last question is where is the best place to look for rooms in shared houses and how far in advance of move-in dates do they get listed?

Any help you can you would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
On May 18, 2016 at 11:07 PM, DukeGrad2016 said:

Hello,

I'm going to be starting a PhD at Duke in August. I will be moving from London to Durham and haven't been able to visit North Carolina so was hoping to get some advice regarding housing.

I would like to live between West Campus and downtown Durham such that I am within walking distance (< a 20 minute walk) of both. I would like to live in a house shared with 2-4 other people (most likely other graduate students). Can you suggest locations where I could find houses that fit these criteria? My budget is probably $500 - $700.

My last question is where is the best place to look for rooms in shared houses and how far in advance of move-in dates do they get listed?

ok, I didn't go to Duke. I went to UNC but I would start looking now if you haven't found something already. People are looking already for August leases. I'm sure Duke has a housing website or your program director could give you some resources. Some people have found roommates on Craiglists but I usually go on the school's housing website first to see if there are roommate boards. There also might be a Facebook group for Duke off-campus housing and I would check there as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2016 at 10:07 PM, DukeGrad2016 said:

Hello,

dukelist.duke.edu/search?q=category%3ARentals and offcampushousing.duke.edu/property/search have been reasonably helpful, though I have had better luck with individual rental companies. Apple Realty and Acorn and Oak seem to be popular among Duke grad students. Do you know anybody in your department who may be able to view properties for you before you sign a lease? Sometimes things seem much more charming online than in person...

• 1 year later...

Hello! I wanted to open this back up for 2018! :) 

I am attending Duke for a BME Master's in the fall and am currently looking for apartments. My main questions are:

1. How do people go about finding grad student roommates? I'd prefer not to live alone, but I don't know anyone else in the area. 

2. Which areas/complexes are the best for graduate students? I've currently been looking at the area north of Erwin road, since its the closest (0.5mi) to the BME buildings and I can walk to class. However, I am not sure if it is full of undergraduates or is the safest. The other areas are ninth street, and Central Park/Downtown.

Here's the list of apartments I've found online that I like: 

Belmont, Lofts at Lakewood, Berkshire Ninth Street, Station Nine, Liberty Warehouse and West Village 

3. How far in advance should I be applying? I have read on this thread that you don't need to apply well ahead of time. If I'm not moving in until August, I am worried that there won't be any openings in the ones that I like. I am visiting in about a week and a half and might tour a couple of places.

If anyone has any advice/any other questions, please let me know! Hopefully will be able to have extra insight once I visit later in March!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be moving to Durham to start my PhD at Duke. I don't have a car, and I'd like to see if I can avoid buying one for now, if possible! I've found a place to live that is between campus and the downtown area (walkable to either), which is good. I'd like to get a bike, but I was wondering whether bike theft is an issue in Durham? I'm coming from Toronto, where it's seriously bad. Obviously I would have a bike lock, but I'd like to know if I should expect it to be stolen anyway, as that will inform the quality of bike I choose to buy.

Hi, again, everyone. Does anyone here have experience with the schools in Raleigh? I've got a son who will be starting the 4th grade and a daughter who will be in daycare. I'm hoping to live somewhere within proximity to downtown so I can use the bus to get to UNC-Chapel Hill, but the schools there don't look great. Thanks in advance!

Hello @JustPoesieAlong ! You'll love the Triangle area. I've been living here for almost three years and I also went to UNC for grad school. Based on your situation, I'd recommend you to check out Victory Village Day Care Center, which is the childcare for UNC staff, faculty and students. This daycare is located in the Friday Center area. If you are commuting from Raleigh, you could park in the parking lot of the Friday Center, drop your child at Victory Village, and then take the bus to UNC - there are buses every 5-10 minutes in the morning and it should take you about 10 minutes to get to campus, maximum. This solution, however, would force you to drive every day to CH - much more expensive than riding the bus. But I believe that would be the most convenient situation for you, given your family situation.

52 minutes ago, ParentandGradStudent said:

Hello @JustPoesieAlong ! You'll love the Triangle area. I've been living here for almost three years and I also went to UNC for grad school. Based on your situation, I'd recommend you to check out Victory Village Day Care Center, which is the childcare for UNC staff, faculty and students. This daycare is located in the Friday Center area. If you are commuting from Raleigh, you could park in the parking lot of the Friday Center, drop your child at Victory Village, and then take the bus to UNC - there are buses every 5-10 minutes in the morning and it should take you about 10 minutes to get to campus, maximum. This solution, however, would force you to drive every day to CH - much more expensive than riding the bus. But I believe that would be the most convenient situation for you, given your family situation.

I can't thank you enough for this post! I've been fretting over this situation like crazy, but just discovered the Friday Center Park & Ride situation (after a lot of research--UNC parking/transit is wild). I was wondering about how long the bus ride would be, so thanks for that information too! Does that lot typically fill up or does it seem to have enough spaces available? I have been dreading adding even more travel time due to a search for parking.

I have looked at Victory Village some--it's a good deal more expensive than we're paying now, but if there's a spot available for our daughter, we may just have to pinch pennies to swing it. 

Thank you again for this response. Moving for a PhD is a challenge anyway, but moving with kids has got me so stressed. I am excited for the area; I think we will be very happy there, once we figure it all out!

On 3/27/2018 at 4:42 PM, brainlass said:

I will be moving to Durham to start my PhD at Duke. I don't have a car, and I'd like to see if I can avoid buying one for now, if possible! I've found a place to live that is between campus and the downtown area (walkable to either), which is good. I'd like to get a bike, but I was wondering whether bike theft is an issue in Durham? I'm coming from Toronto, where it's seriously bad. Obviously I would have a bike lock, but I'd like to know if I should expect it to be stolen anyway, as that will inform the quality of bike I choose to buy.

Hey there! I'm currently finishing up my undergrad at Duke, and don't have a car. Durham is super livable with just a bike and the occasional Uber/Lyft. I've never had my bike stolen or really heard from others about bike theft, so as long as you lock it up you should be totally fine. Where are you thinking of living? 

Also (if I assume correctly) you're going into the CNAP program, right? I'm pretty familiar with most of the faculty and administration (as an undergrad neuro major) so if you have any questions feel free to PM me!! 

Edited by eevee

Hello @JustPoesieAlong, I'm glad to know my suggestions were helpful! I'm also a parent of two kiddos and grad school + family definitely makes our lives way more complicated, but it's doable. 

About parking lot at the Friday Center, I'm not sure how demanded those spots are. There are definitely TONS of cars parked there, but the parking lot is also huge. I don't remember people not being able to park, though - but maybe it's worth to call UNC Parking to see when would be a good time to apply. I believe the monthly rate to park there is around $35.

About Victory Village, it's pricey but at the same time, it's SUCH A GOOD PLACE. I can't recommend it enough. You could have your daughter there for the entire day, and they provide all meals with your tuition. Finally, if your family is eligible, you could also apply for a scholarship to cover childcare costs through the Child Care Services Association (UNC has a partnership with them, and UNC students are eligible for scholarships, depending on how much your family makes annually. 

Be sure to apply soon to Victory Village because the spots fill really quickly.

Good luck!

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, I'm looking for any info you can offer up on living in Durham, as I was just accepted into the MPP program. Particularly, I'm looking for nice apartment complexes for my wife and I. 

On 3/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, FujiShe said:

Hi guys, I'm looking for any info you can offer up on living in Durham, as I was just accepted into the MPP program. Particularly, I'm looking for nice apartment complexes for my wife and I. 

Congratulations on your acceptance! Durham homeowner here, in the Triangle for 10+ years (UNC undergrad and stayed around, back to UNC this fall for PhD). Love the city and happy to help. I live in South Durham and it's great. Will you hope to be quite close to Duke?

Just now, pyramidstuds said:

Congratulations on your acceptance! Durham homeowner here, in the Triangle for 10+ years (UNC undergrad and stayed around, back to UNC this fall for PhD). Love the city and happy to help. I live in South Durham and it's great. Will you hope to be quite close to Duke?

Yea im hoping to be within biking distance at least, walking would obviously be great but its not a huge deal breaker. Im glad to hear that everything ive read and heard is positive about Durham. 

Were trying to pay less than 1000 bucks a month for a 1BR, and so I'm just trying to figure out regions/locations that would be conducive to that!

On 3/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, FujiShe said:

Yea im hoping to be within biking distance at least, walking would obviously be great but its not a huge deal breaker. Im glad to hear that everything ive read and heard is positive about Durham. 

Were trying to pay less than 1000 bucks a month for a 1BR, and so I'm just trying to figure out regions/locations that would be conducive to that!

There is a lot around Duke...9th Street/Old West Durham (near East Campus) is a district with shops/restaurants, grocery stores (Harris Teeter, Whole Foods). The apartments here however are "luxury" and I'm sure will be more than $1K a month because they're new and look nice from the outside.

I'd look at the various spots off Erwin Road. Duke Manor starts at $730/month for a 1BR, looks like.

I haven't lived in any of these, mind you, so I am not sure if any have reputations (for being full of loud undergrads, etc.) but that's a well-located complex that is close to campus and to the area of 9th St. Downtown Durham is the place to be, though--downtown central, but also the area around Durham Central Park, up towards Motorco and Fullsteam.

University Commons is dirt cheap...$560+...but they don't look very "luxurious" and the area doesn't look great, either.

• Warelin changed the title to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC
  • 1 year later...

Bumping up this thread for the Fall 2022 cycle! Highly considering Duke (though still waiting for other results). Been scouting apartments already, and I'm wondering what would be a good place conducive for PhD students, while also conveniently located near campus. Budget is below $1k for a 1-bedroom. Open to roommates too (in case sharing a 2-bedroom is cheaper). Will probably come without a car but looking to buy a used one once in the area.

Hi everyone! I am from NC but don't have a lot of experience with the Triangle area. I received an offer from UNC and my partner has an interview at Duke, so a UNC-Duke combo (ironically enough) is looking very possible. If this is our situation, then what would the best living situation be? Are there good housing options between Durham and CH, or would it be reasonable to live in one city (or a place like carrboro on the outskirts) if the other person has to drive back and forth to campus? 

Also, if anyone goes to school in that area and wants to connect regardless of discipline, please feel free to message me :) I would love to get to know people in the area since it is the most likely scenario. 

6 hours ago, caromella said:

Hi everyone! I am from NC but don't have a lot of experience with the Triangle area. I received an offer from UNC and my partner has an interview at Duke, so a UNC-Duke combo (ironically enough) is looking very possible. If this is our situation, then what would the best living situation be? Are there good housing options between Durham and CH, or would it be reasonable to live in one city (or a place like carrboro on the outskirts) if the other person has to drive back and forth to campus? 

Also, if anyone goes to school in that area and wants to connect regardless of discipline, please feel free to message me :) I would love to get to know people in the area since it is the most likely scenario. 

Congratulations! I am still awaiting other offers but Duke is one of my top choices and I will very likely attend. Happy to connect! I also have similar questions. Hoping to hear from anyone in the area!

You might want to watch this recording of an admitted students chat uploaded by the Duke Grad School (which may speak to your situation as a couple). Best watched on youtube while looking at the live chat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFF6LIgwGIM

Edited by NervousPotato

*dusting the forum*

Hi! Not many people drop by here, so I'll just post links from my own research and probably let me know how "OK" these are:

Starting Afresh (especially for Internationals): Duke's International House has great resources (https://studentaffairs.duke.edu/ihouse), I'd think UNC and NC State will have similar services.

Housing: As I'm attending Duke, I only checked out these sites: https://www.nearduke.com/housinghttps://www.durhamgradhousing.com/. I'm pretty sure there would be similar sites for Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

Transportation: The Triangle has a great public transport system, with local and regional buses, as well as those specific to Duke, UNC Chapel Hill and NC State. https://gotriangle.org/. Transloc has a cool interactive site where you see all bus routes plying the region: https://triangle.transloc.com/

If there's any local that would like to give additional information, hope you can drop any tips!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, anyone on here attending the universities in the Triangle area who'd be interested to hang out with like-minded PhD students and meet up once in a while? It'll be nice for work/life balance. We can explore the Triangle, visit cultural sites, hike, or study together. If you're interested, please send a PM!