How many times have schools lied to you?

TigerTongPo

"You'll hear back March 15th." I got the acceptance package in the mail later that day (which, incidentally, was in mid-February). At least the truth was better than the lie in that instance...but at this point I don't trust any responses I get from grad admissions offices unless they're very specific (like, "We've already sent out all of our acceptance letters" - I believe that, unfortunately).

ouch!!! i can't even imagine that... can they legally retract an acceptance letter once sent?

I'm not sure. When they told me it was a mistake, I thought about appealing, but then realized that if I got in somewhere because of an appeal, I would probably be treated differently than the other students. Maybe some professors would even resent me.

Worse than my situation, my buddy had a similar thing happen to him at Madison, and he did appeal. I don't recall the full story in all its glorious detail (he was pretty animated when telling it), but he told me the grad secretary lied to his face about something, then changed his status on him after he had been rejected, accepted, then rejected again (none of which was his true status, apparently). I guess the program director emailed him, after the secretary admitted to lying to him, claiming it was an "honest mistake." LOL! I don't know how it went, exactly, as beer was available at the establishment we visited last time we hung out; nonetheless, I promised him never to attend a conference or deal with people from Madison's English department. They sound like right pricks!

Oddly, he never heard back from the department about his appeal. I bet he used some choice language. I know I felt pretty bad in my situation, and nobody lied to me - they just sent the wrong letter, then called me when they realized.

There should be a blacklist somewhere for departments that pull this shit. I mean, in my case it's probably not that huge of a deal, but people should hear about situations like what happened to my friend.

"we will let you know as soon as possible"

"we were unable to verify all of your documents"

"we are in the recess so not all the members of department are available"

"we are on the Spring Break"

"you are highly qualified individual we would like to admit but we have not received sufficient funding"

"you are in the group we would admit if we had sufficient funding so we shall have to wait"

"I will let you know by the end of March"

"I might not be able to tell you anything until the early April at least"

"I might not be able to tell you anything until April 15"

"I might not be able to tell you anything until the end of April"

:D

"I don't think you're prepared for my PhD program. I mean my students have lot going for them. But I'd put you right through my MA program if you apply to my PhD program."

Then I e-mailed him 3 months later asking him to consider me for his MA program at least. Said he'd take my app. Let's see how he reacts to my writing sample challenging his perspective.

If I don't get in, then he lied. And has proven his weakness as an insecure person. Yay for academic freedom.