Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

So, I just wrapped up my final application and know that many folks will be doing the same in the coming weeks, or already have. I thought it might be nice to have a thread to get to know the other political science applicants, banter over the common joys and pains of this process, and consolidate the random discussion that doesn't need it's own thread.

Since this seems to be a bit more of a lighthearted thread, I'll put the following question up for debate here:

I am writing a diversity statement for one of my last applications. I already have a professional degree and a fair amount of work experience, so I am writing a brief statement about how older applicants with advanced training can add a lot of perspective to an entering class.

I am sort of seriously considering the following statement (or something like it):

As an old person, I can also introduce my classmates to the joys of prunes, Matlock and going to bed before sunset in summer.

Yea or nay?

As an old person, I can also introduce my classmates to the joys of prunes, Matlock and going to bed before sunset in summer.

Keep in mind that many of your professors are also old, and may have already introduced students to all of these things.

During commercials, I mute Matlock and listen to Jazzy Jeff tapes. But I see your point.

If there is ever a place for humor in an application, which is debatable, I think the diversity seems like the right spot. I concluded mine with a light hearted comment.

So, I just wrapped up my final application and know that many folks will be doing the same in the coming weeks, or already have. I thought it might be nice to have a thread to get to know the other political science applicants, banter over the common joys and pains of this process, and consolidate the random discussion that doesn't need it's own thread.

For some reason I seem to think you were around during last year's cycle as well and got into Chicago. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Are you transferring?

Edited by rustytrix

For some reason I seem to think you were around during last year's cycle as well and got into Chicago. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Are you transferring?

I wasn't around last year, but three years ago I applied and ended up going to Chicago for an MA. Two years ago, while in my first quarter at U. of C., I applied and got into a number of programs, but for personal reasons ended up not enrolling. I took last year off from applications, and am now back for what I sincerely hope will be the final time!

Hello everyone. This seems like a good place to introduce myself after a few weeks of faithful lurking. I'm a JD seeking a Ph.D. to study law, courts, and judicial politics. My final applications are being submitted today and, while not enthused by the wait, I'm happy to stop sweating the SoP.

GopherGrad, I'm a big proponent of humor, but I think you need to temper it with a statement in the essay itself defending the value of diversity as more popularly conceived. A PC reader might take your statement as a glib rejection of pluralism. Might be safer to play to the middle, or at least give the middle a nod while playing comic. That said, shortly into my SoP there is some droll lawyer humor. Guess we'll see how it plays.

Oh, yeah. I wrote a couple paragraphs about how legal methods are unique analytic tools and about how surviving law school and having a career have matured my temperament, etc. I think those things are valid.

It's weird because the existence of a diversity statement seems to imply that diversity is good for it's own sake, but then you're left defending what good your diversity is. For the most part, my heart sinks when I see one of those essays because I'm just another white guy from the 'burbs. But in this case I felt kind of bad for everyone. It's hard to imagine trying to articulate how being a racial minority would impact the learning of a class of comparative politics nerds.

I did finish with the line about Matlock.

Oh, yeah. I wrote a couple paragraphs about how legal methods are unique analytic tools and about how surviving law school and having a career have matured my temperament, etc. I think those things are valid.

It's weird because the existence of a diversity statement seems to imply that diversity is good for it's own sake, but then you're left defending what good your diversity is. For the most part, my heart sinks when I see one of those essays because I'm just another white guy from the 'burbs. But in this case I felt kind of bad for everyone. It's hard to imagine trying to articulate how being a racial minority would impact the learning of a class of comparative politics nerds.

I did finish with the line about Matlock.

Out of curiosity, GG, what has driven you from the law and what do you hope to find? Surprised at the number of JD/PhD applicants. Personally: biglaw paid the bills and repaid the loans but was unfulfilling. Academia has always been an interest, but I didn't see sufficient rigor or value in most legal scholarship and wanted to get training that would enable me to make an actual contribution to a field. I can, however, see myself teaching in a PoliSci department or at a law school (ideally at an institution with good programs in each).

Well, what ultimately drove me from law was monotony and a lack of a sense of purpose. After a while, most cases start to appear the same and the tension between making billables and steering my clients toward swift resolution got to be too much. I felt like a smart high schooler could have done half my job, and I was in the courtroom from day one. I can't imagine how an associate in a tall building firm would feel.

The proximate cause was ethics and the economy. I practiced at a boutique firm that tended to oversell clients on their recovery, play fast and loose with the rules of discovery and eschewed measures that would prevent or settle conflicts. I was looking hard for jobs when the end of the year came and I did not receive a W-2. The partner told me point blank that the firm has withheld money from my check and kept those funds for itself. When I was asked to sign a contract ratifying the decision and provided for the eventual payback of the taxes, I left into the worst legal market in recent history.

Since then I started my own company managing non-English language document production and examination, which has helped me pay the loans down a fair amount, but in the slow times I'm still bouncing around contract jobs, sharing a broom closet with 30+ lawyers doing doc review. Not what I see for myself in the long run.

I would probably have left legal practice eventually without all the drama and found myself more or less where I am, but five years later. Depending upon how you look at it, I might be lucky for the jump start.

I went to a law school that tended toward academic rather than practical training (read: T1) and loved it. I did a lot of independent research on corporate governance and democratization. I've also worked for the State Department and loved that. I'm hoping that a research career would give me something of a combination of those two things. My ideal day involves reading and kicking around ideas (I loved writing heady appellate briefs with policy arguments), and luckily my fascination is with a comparative polisci topic, because I have really enjoyed living and working overseas.

In general, I'd say that attrition from legal practice to academia is driven by similar factors. I think practicing law can be uniquely jarring in the sense that all that education and all that honing of tiger-like kill instincts is really only unleashed a few times a year. The rest can be kind of mundane. It's like the hardest boring job in the world. That's aggravated by the economy. If you want to re-invent yourself and get more qualified because you can't find a job, there aren't very many rungs left to climb.

Kind of funny where I'm putting my priorities with a month left to go until my first deadline. More worried about my GRE re-take next week and getting all of my letters of rec together (based on my experience from doing this as a master's-level applicant 3 years ago...and as I have 2 of 3 profs already submitted I practically feel like popping champagne now!) than I am about my personal statement. I know it's the most important part, but I feel like there's only so much I can write in a couple of pages.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what a person can do about their personal statement, either. I mean, there's obvious crap, and writing a couple drafts will clear that out and help you remain concise. But once I had a statement I was fairly happy with, I shopped it around for advice and absolutely everything I heard clashed.

In general, I'd say that attrition from legal practice to academia is driven by similar factors. I think practicing law can be uniquely jarring in the sense that all that education and all that honing of tiger-like kill instincts is really only unleashed a few times a year. The rest can be kind of mundane. It's like the hardest boring job in the world. That's aggravated by the economy. If you want to re-invent yourself and get more qualified because you can't find a job, there aren't very many rungs left to climb.

Very true, particularly at big firms. I spent more than half my time on discovery disputes (and about 15% on pro bono, leaving very little to substantive work for paying clients)--the very definition of mundane. The 90% pay cut is harsh; I can't believe my wife is on board with this crazy plan, but that's part of why I love her.

Discovery is the worst. It's the perfect example of how attempting to rigidly define a very common sense understanding of fairness can lead to lead to perverse results. The only thing that gains is the balance sheet of the law firms drafting interrogatories.

I'm hoping the 90% number is only true for the first two years. The resumes of most 5th year candidates bristle with conference papers and think-tank involvement. I've got to believe that some of that comes with funding or salary. Might not be a bad question for the PSJR board, actually.

Discovery is the worst. It's the perfect example of how attempting to rigidly define a very common sense understanding of fairness can lead to lead to perverse results. The only thing that gains is the balance sheet of the law firms drafting interrogatories.

I'm hoping the 90% number is only true for the first two years. The resumes of most 5th year candidates bristle with conference papers and think-tank involvement. I've got to believe that some of that comes with funding or salary. Might not be a bad question for the PSJR board, actually.

I don't think any grad students gets paid for conference papers, and instead it involves applying (begging) for travel money to get to and pay for the conference.

By the way, I'm curious what the representation on the board is for subfields and areas of interest. I'm mostly an International Relations, IPE, institutions guy. What about the rest of you?

Edited by adaptations

Looks like applications are finally being sorted and reviewed at the department level.

Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago and Princeton have all indicated that they are reviewing, or at least, sorting materials for departmental review.

Can't believe it's going to be at least a month before we get any news. I'm new to this whole process, so I have a question for you.

How do you pass the time? I'm done with classes, finished writing my papers. Any suggestions?

I'm new to this whole process, so I have a question for you.

How do you pass the time? I'm done with classes, finished writing my papers. Any suggestions?

Have you tried Angry Birds? I hear it is the best time suck on earth.

After doing this before, I can say that thegradcafe tends to use up an increasing amount of time (not sure that's a good thing). I also try to focus on some other goal, project, job, etc. Lucky for me that's easy this year since I have a full time job and am planning a wedding right now.

How did you find out about those schools? I've applied at three of them and still have one recommender that has not submitted his letter (he promises Friday and the latest).

It terms of killing time, it can be tough if you don't have a job. A new hobby isn't a bad idea. One thing that can easily kill a couple months is to pick your favorite foods you eat at restuarants and perfect your own recipe. Instruments, video games, the gym and road trips are other suggestions.

Or, you know, you can pluck your eyebrow hairs one by one in the dark while chanting: "they accept me (ow!) they accept me not (ow!) they accept me..."