When can candidates know the result of applications?

yamamotomiechan

Hi I applied to some universities.

I know that the notification date depends on each university.

But it seems that accepted candidates can get an e-mail from universities in February.

On the other hand, it seems that rejected candidates get notifications from universities after March.

So if I do not have any notification from universities in February, does it imply that I would be rejected?

So if I do not have any notification from universities in February, does it imply that I would be rejected?

Not necessarily. Most schools tend to send out acceptances and rejections letters early... which in my field of study is mid-late Jan. Even after this early acceptance/rejection period, the schools aren't done yet. They hold on to some good, but not stellar type of students. Then they send out either acceptance or rejections to this 'medium-level' students by going through their applications few more times, and sorting out the best ones from this bunch. So technically, you could hear about acceptances from them even after February. But earlier you get the notifications, more are the chances of being accepted. Or rejected. Lets not hope for the latter one though!

You can search the self-reported results from last year on this forums survey to get an idea of when the schools you applied to will send out interview requests and notifications. For Computer Science, admission committees typically meet around mid January or later and they send out notifications after that. Most CS people from last year got acceptances in February I think, with a few in January and some in March/April.

Edited by newms

初めまして、スタンフォード学院で勉強してる赤阪と申します。大学院からの返事は普段二月から三月の間、遅くて四月まで待たないといけない時もあります。どの学校に行くか決めるのはだいたい五月まで時間があるのであまり心配する必要は無いはずです。

I found out about Georgia Tech on March 18, I found out about Stanford's Ph.D decision on February 12, the MS decision on March 25.

Best of luck!

You can search the self-reported results from last year on this forums survey to get an idea of when the schools you applied to will send out interview requests and notifications. For Computer Science, admission committees typically meet around mid January or later and they send out notifications after that. Most CS people from last year got acceptances in February I think, with a few in January and some in March/April.

Thank you for replying, folks!

はじめまして、赤坂さん。スタンフォード行かれてるんですか、凄いですね。。。

やっぱり赤坂さんは普通にTOEFLとかも100点以上、GREも1200(Verbal+Quantitative)は取れていましたか?

私はかなり低くいので(86点)、かなり心配です。一応最低点は超えてるんですが。。

GREも良くないです。(Q:790,V:310,AW:3.5)。。

他の日本の方に聞くと大丈夫じゃないかと言われるんですが、日本人として合格した赤坂さんから見てどうおもわれますか?