TPP @ MIT - fall 2011

applicant

Do you think that they've already done some prescreening then? Did you apply somewhere else?

I also applied and am just sitting here waiting...I half wonder if they got fewer applications than expected (or fewer quality applications...), since the application has been extended two weeks til the end of Dec.

Honestly, I think every school / program prescreens somehow as applications come in--if nothing else, to lighten their workload after the deadline. Especially if schools are getting record numbers of applicants, they won't want to delay everything and get into a crunch (just like we all hate waiting until March / April to find out, they don't want to review a thousand apps in a two-week span). However, I'm sure if a program doesn't have an official rolling admission, decisions aren't final until after the deadline (so TPP is probably waiting to put their full cohort together). What does that mean for us with regards to TPP? No clue...hopefully we're all on their "hot prospect" list and they're just looking for the final one or two students to fill it out...

I guess so. I'm somehow hoping the wait won't extend (too much) into March, I sort of got the feeling that they send out their opinions by the end of February. Though on the other hand, judging by last year's threads it might indeed be March.

In the meanwhile, I've been trying to find out more about RA positions. Seems that everyone gets such positions but I dunno if this can cover the whole costs - do you maybe know anything about that?

Honestly, I think every school / program prescreens somehow as applications come in--if nothing else, to lighten their workload after the deadline. Especially if schools are getting record numbers of applicants, they won't want to delay everything and get into a crunch (just like we all hate waiting until March / April to find out, they don't want to review a thousand apps in a two-week span). However, I'm sure if a program doesn't have an official rolling admission, decisions aren't final until after the deadline (so TPP is probably waiting to put their full cohort together). What does that mean for us with regards to TPP? No clue...hopefully we're all on their "hot prospect" list and they're just looking for the final one or two students to fill it out...

I'm an applicant too. I recently had a chat with TPP and from what I understand, the admission acceptance rates are close to 25%. That seems to be pretty high, so I'm a little optimistic ( thinking rationally though, I'm a college senior with no practical work experience. Bummer.)

However, TPP's been personally replying to submissions - I'm not sure if that's a sign that the number of applicants is low?

@imda2001 - Could you share your views on the RA bit here as well? Would be much appreciated :D

@applicant: what are are you coming from?

Are you asking me about my background? I'm an international student, but I attend a top-10 US engineering program. If you meant source of the above info, I had a talk with TPP. Nothing on paper of course.

I believe Stanford MS&E had an acceptance of ~30% for their master's program too. I'd like to think that these numbers are inflated because they're probably taking the continuing undergrads from MIT/Stanford into account.

Edited by adidwani

I come from Croatia and I have a background in IT, software engineering to be precise.

@applicant: what are are you coming from?

Are you asking me about my background? I'm an international student, but I attend a top-10 US engineering program. If you meant source of the above info, I had a talk with TPP. Nothing on paper of course.

I believe Stanford MS&E had an acceptance of ~30% for their master's program too. I'd like to think that these numbers are inflated because they're probably taking the continuing undergrads from MIT/Stanford into account.

Hey, I also applied for next Fall. My roommate is graduating this year from the program, and she has told me that pretty much everyone gets an RA position which covers all costs + stipend. They also reserve a large portion of the class for international students.

That's great. Which field did you choose fro your research?

Hey, I also applied for next Fall. My roommate is graduating this year from the program, and she has told me that pretty much everyone gets an RA position which covers all costs + stipend. They also reserve a large portion of the class for international students.

I have a background in software engineering, CS and information systems and I'm interested in its application in social governance - so I chose SE & IS and Technology for socio-economic development.

I chose environmental health, more specifically the use of science/technology in environmental policy and its effects on human health. What about you?

Was anyone here at the Open House? I met a few students there and have been in regular contact with them since, they've all been very helpful. A couple things I learned (also not on paper, but just from hearsay):

1. I've heard between 130 and 200 people apply every year, and they make about 50 offers to end up with a class size of about 40-45.

2. Vast majority (nearly everybody) ends up with an RA position, though you should expect to compromise on specifically what you want to do research on in order to find a supervisor.

3. RA funding is significant enough that it covers all tuition, and you end up with about $2200 per month leftover for housing, food, etc.

Where does it say that the application deadline has been extended?

Was anyone here at the Open House? I met a few students there and have been in regular contact with them since, they've all been very helpful. A couple things I learned (also not on paper, but just from hearsay):

1. I've heard between 130 and 200 people apply every year, and they make about 50 offers to end up with a class size of about 40-45.

2. Vast majority (nearly everybody) ends up with an RA position, though you should expect to compromise on specifically what you want to do research on in order to find a supervisor.

3. RA funding is significant enough that it covers all tuition, and you end up with about $2200 per month leftover for housing, food, etc.

Thanks for the info.

It is not on the webpage.

When Mr. Ed Ballo was on his vacation (from 12.15 to 12. 20?), his auto-reply email mentioned about the extended deadline.

I got an email saying that the deadline was postponed until the end of December. Nevertheless, I submitted my application before the old deadline.

Thanks for the info.

It is not on the webpage.

When Mr. Ed Ballo was on his vacation (from 12.15 to 12. 20?), his auto-reply email mentioned about the extended deadline.

@asiddiq Do you maybe know how many people have applied this year?

@asiddiq Do you maybe know how many people have applied this year?

Sorry, I don't know how many people applied this year. Best of luck to everyone! Did everyone get an email from Ed saying that you would hear back by mid-February?

Sorry, I don't know how many people applied this year. Best of luck to everyone! Did everyone get an email from Ed saying that you would hear back by mid-February?

No, I did not get such an email.

Yep, it said so in the email confirming my application was complete. Not so far away now, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...