TPP @ MIT - fall 2011

applicant

I think last year they sent it out emails on a weekend. So maybe this weekend : \

Nothing yet. Does anybody know around what time admissions went out last year?

I expect we will all hear back one way or the other sometime next week. So nervous...!

From one TPP student I heard they get 200 applications and make 50 offers; from another I heard they get 130 applications and make 50 offers. Either way, those are pretty good odds for us (and a pretty high acceptance rate for an MIT program, but I imagine its because its a bit of a niche program so not too many people know about it).

On a side note, it seems as though MIT EECS sent out their offers today, so if there's any consistency among the various MIT departments with respect to their admissions timeline, we should probably hear back very soon.

Wouldn't be surprised -- its happened in the past. At this point it could very well just be a matter of one person sending out all the emails, and they could probably do that on a weekend if they wished.

Here's hoping for the best Valentine's Day ever....hahaha :)

any news anyone?

Wouldn't be surprised -- its happened in the past. At this point it could very well just be a matter of one person sending out all the emails, and they could probably do that on a weekend if they wished.

Here's hoping for the best Valentine's Day ever....hahaha :)

Didn't they change the application deadline to December 15 this year? My understanding is that they moved the admission timeline up a few weeks, so mid-February makes sense. Does anybody know when the application deadline last year was? Also, a quick search on the gradcafe results page shows Feb 23rd as the earliest acceptance for TPP last year.

I imagine we'll hear back this week, I don't think they would have told us we'd hear back mid-February if they didn't think they could stick to that.

Has anybody emailed Ed? It's probably too early to start asking them, but if I don't hear back by the end of this week I plan on calling/emailing Ed to ask.

oh yeah, that makes sense. I completely forgot about the change of deadlines.

Nope, no info from Ed. I figured the admin office would be swamped with work these days so I didnt want to push it by calling/emailing.

Didn't they change the application deadline to December 15 this year? My understanding is that they moved the admission timeline up a few weeks, so mid-February makes sense. Does anybody know when the application deadline last year was? Also, a quick search on the gradcafe results page shows Feb 23rd as the earliest acceptance for TPP last year.

I imagine we'll hear back this week, I don't think they would have told us we'd hear back mid-February if they didn't think they could stick to that.

Has anybody emailed Ed? It's probably too early to start asking them, but if I don't hear back by the end of this week I plan on calling/emailing Ed to ask.

So where else did everyone apply? And is MIT TPP your top choice? I think their yield is probably like 80-90%, which is pretty high, meaning its most applicants top choice (not surprising).

I also applied to Stanford MS&E and to Industrial Engineering at University of Toronto. I think Stanford decisions happen at the end of March, which seems very far away.

Hi everyone,

The wait is killing me as well...Like everyone else, I spent a helluva lot of time on those applications, can't wait for the results !! But then, I guess a few more days won't kill us, when we've probably been thinking about this for months...

Anyways, replying to asiddiq, I applied to Stanford MS&E as well as the new MS&E program at Columbia.

Honestly, I can't decide which would be my top choice between Stanford and MIT...

It's a tough call for sure. Stanford's program seems to be more pre-professional and quantitative, whereas TPP seems to be more academic / much heavier on policy. That was my understanding at least. I'm interested in doing research though, so I'm leaning MIT.

Also good to remember -- Stanford's MS is completely unfunded (60k for a year out of our own pocket or something?) whereas in TPP basically everyone gets funding and a reasonable living stipend. So that can really be the deciding factor !

And you're right, its funny how Dec/Jan flew by but as soon as February hits the calendar, each day just creeps by. Maybe tomorrow!

Hey,

I only applied to TPP in the States, unfortunately, I didn't have time for Stanford. But I'm applying to MPhil in TP at Cambridge (UK) as well. It's a similar program, leaning mostly to business and practice.

And yes, seems to me like I keep expecting the results will arrive, and this stress keeps building up every day.

It's a tough call for sure. Stanford's program seems to be more pre-professional and quantitative, whereas TPP seems to be more academic / much heavier on policy. That was my understanding at least. I'm interested in doing research though, so I'm leaning MIT.

Also good to remember -- Stanford's MS is completely unfunded (60k for a year out of our own pocket or something?) whereas in TPP basically everyone gets funding and a reasonable living stipend. So that can really be the deciding factor !

And you're right, its funny how Dec/Jan flew by but as soon as February hits the calendar, each day just creeps by. Maybe tomorrow!

Yeah. I think it's gonna b early march! But this waiting period is downright torturous!

If they said mid-feb, they could hav sent an e-mail to all applicants informing them that the decisions will be made later now..