2011 Applications

NadaJ

It's so quiet around here..how is everyone with their applications? Are you submitted and just waiting now?

I applied by the 12/15 deadline, and now I have a long wait ahead. I am finishing an M.Ed and I applied to an MSW/PhD program for Fall 2011. Some days I feel great about my application, other days not so much. I took 2 SW classes this past term that I really enjoyed and did well in (still waiting for grades).

How is everyone else??

i guess most people are still away for the holidays spending quality time with their family and old friends... which is nice because it takes your attention away from the excruciating waiting period. others, like me and you, are lingering around and suffering. but this month is it!! even perhaps this week!

i'm here waiting as well, but i have one more app to submit. (five down so far).

based on the gradcafe results, i think i'll start hearing from schools in about a month.

on certain days i'm excited and then on other days i can't stop thinking about the stupid grammatical errors i made on my apps.

I just got all of my application material in during December. Some schools have updated their websites, while others still show some material as missing. Overall, I feel good. I'm not too anxious - yet, but I certainly would like to get at least one early decision. I'm mostly concerned about what kind of funding is available. While I feel I have a good chance of being admittied - I feel it could possibly vary, and it may be a more expensive school that I gain acceptance to. Anyone apply for the eary app deadline at Michigan? I'm curious to know when decisions are expected...

I see someone has already received a decision from one school...when was this application submitted?

i sent in my UW and UC Berkeley ones. (MSWs) Berkeley is due TODAY. My references are being super slow though, so I would not consider my apps done until they send in their stuff. I obviously have not heard back from them since they don't have my references and I sent in Berkeley today. I'm a bit anxious, definitely.

UC Berkeley is very fast with updating their files! I submitted my app one day and mailed off my supporting documents the same day - I think it was the very next day (or day after) that I received an email from the department advising me of having received all of my materail...just waiting on GRE scores. Hopefully, they start reviewing as quickly as they start putting the files together....

I almost applied to UC-Berkeley for their SW PhD program. The program seems amazing, and with nationally and internationally recognized faculty (despite the small size). GL to you guys!

I have looked over my application pdf several times, and I just noticed I left the "University faculty you have been in contact with" question blank! Oiy vey...I have absolutely been in contact with faculty! I've flown, taken the bus and the train back and forth several times! Ugh. I emailed the admissions director to see I can add this information after the deadline. Thankfully I mentioned who I wanted to work with in my SOP, but still.

I keep looking at the results page for past acceptances and ejections to discern a pattern.

I completed a majority of my applications the first week of January, with my earliest deadline being January 15 (postmarked). I still have to put the finishing touches on two essays, and I should be done. The wait is definitely killing me for the school that i have already submitted! USC in particular is not updating the website so I'm not sure if my transcripts were received (as I know they were sent out).

I absolutely feel the same way! It's been up and down the past two weeks - my sleep has been awful and I've been having weird dreams of opening up my inbox to see some fantastic email from a school (lol).

I'm still debating on applying to a 7th school. I originally started out with a list of 4, then added two to the list after speaking with a friend whose also an academic counselor. I'm thinking of University of Chicago, or Boston U. I'm interested in a clinical program and relocating - but not very sure of either region. We'll see, I have to make a decision soon, deadlines are approaching!

Best of luck!

Got my first admit today - to Boston University....have no idea what the financial aid package will look like though - in the mail.

Congrats! Just curious, When did you complete and submit your application? It's been about 2 weeks for me now hehe :)

Edit* Woops, nevermind, just read your post up there. Haha. Congrats again!

Edited by gradhopeful777

I think my material was received around December 20 or so, but I didn't receive any kind of email, so two weeks ago I called to find out if they received all of my material. They checked it in the system and it was all there, so they pushed it through to have it reviewed. I think this happens periodically - maybe weekly. I might try calling to find out if it was received. After that they said 4-6 weeks, but I heard back two weeks later.

Hey all I received my acceptance to the advanced stnading program to NYU on the 10th of this month.

The thing is I am also waiting for reply from Columbia, which I think won't be heard until early March.

I have to reply within 3 weeks of the letter, which would be the end of this month.

Can I pay the acceptance fee right now and if I decide to go to Columbia afterwards just forfeit it?

I also wrote a letter to the financial aid office to ask for more financial aid which i haven't gotten a response yet.

Do you think calling them would be faster?

Anyways good luck all for getting into the program you would like to.

ps. Should I apply to Hunter's also? Because paying one year of tuition at NYU or Columbia just doesn't seem like a good option to be debt-free afterwards. Or is it really worth it?

Hi Amaxl,

Congrats! I am still waiting to hear back from NYU (2yr program) though the website says application is being reviewed by faculty. Sorry I cannot be of any help re: acceptance fee and request for financial aid. but good luck with that as well.

Hunter seems to have a great clinical track from what I've read. Also i've heard it is the 'poor-mans' harvard and a much cheaper alternative to NYU and Columbia if price is a concern. All of which gave me more reason to apply there as well for FA'11. If you can afford it, I would say NYU/Columbia. If debt-free is a big concern, Hunter is also a great alternative.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply.

I am curiuos which school would you choose if you really get into all of them? From what I've heard from many students paying for the high tuition of graduate school simply isn't worth it.

I was also quite borthered by the lack of good social work support forum out there. I am thinking of creating a helpful forum for social work students and applicants to go with much more resources.

This kind of information is simply lacking out there.

MSW11 and Amaxi, congratulations!!!! How exciting!!

I am interested in a PhD in social welfare (macro social welfare and policy at that), so I have no idea what to expect from an MSW program. I have looked at Hunter, and their faculty seem really interesting and engaged with their students. If you have the resources to apply and the deadline hasn't passed, I say go for it....this, coming from the lady who applied to one program...

@Amaxl

If I get into all of my choices? That's a tough one!

I will say that I have a friend who is an academic counselor and went to NYU on a full-ride for ed. administration. She still took out about 20k in loans and has advised that the cost of a loan over 10years is definitely something to factor in when deciding to choose between $ vs. $$$$ schools.

Having said that, I plan on visiting the schools first and see if location, student body etc. are a good fit. Based on my experiences I would be absolutely thrilled with an acceptance from any of my choices, especially USC or NYU, despite the high cost. I myself am trying not to get discouraged from others' opinions of the high cost of grad school, especially for an MSW. I'm a firm believer in if you do what you love, then the money will follow!

I completely agree about your comment regarding the lack of social work support forums. The only relevant grad resources for an MSW are gradcafe, and though I think it's a great site, the social work forum activity pales in comparison to the other disciplines. I'd be interested to hear what ideas you may have for creating a more robust msw grad resource, for sure!

Anyway, sorry that's a little long. Hope this gives you some clarity!

MSW11 and Amaxi, congratulations!!!! How exciting!!

I am interested in a PhD in social welfare (macro social welfare and policy at that), so I have no idea what to expect from an MSW program. I have looked at Hunter, and their faculty seem really interesting and engaged with their students. If you have the resources to apply and the deadline hasn't passed, I say go for it....this, coming from the lady who applied to one program...

I also put all my eggs in one PhD basket. Seems like a foolish decision now that I am experiencing the agony of waiting. I just posted on waiting it out about my nightmare last night. Not good. I could barely concentrate here at work. I keep telling myself that maybe there is a good chance: I met with my POI, he offered to help me with my essay, interviewed with the director, POI connected me to two grad students that I eventually met with. But then my GRE scores, oh boy. They barely made the 1200 mark.

So now I am agonizing... fretting.... :'(

On 1/21/2011 at 11:21 AM, Waves said:

I also put all my eggs in one PhD basket. Seems like a foolish decision now that I am experiencing the agony of waiting. I just posted on waiting it out about my nightmare last night. Not good. I could barely concentrate here at work. I keep telling myself that maybe there is a good chance: I met with my POI, he offered to help me with my essay, interviewed with the director, POI connected me to two grad students that I eventually met with. But then my GRE scores, oh boy. They barely made the 1200 mark.

So now I am agonizing... fretting.... ?

You know, I keep going back and forth between this being a crazy idea just applying to one program, or the right thing to do. Are you also applying to SW PhD programs? I seriously looked over several programs--WashU, Berkeley, UPenn, UWisc-Madison, and UChicago, but only one stood out. I'm so glad I made contact with the POI, because she was so helpful with my SOP, and giving me some insight into the program, what she's looking for in a PhD student and the important question, if she would advise me. Her research is so interesting and ground breaking, I would be thrilled to be her advisee, but if I don't get accepted, I will still follow her work and apply again next year. Also, I have a 2.5 YO, and if I dont get accepted, I hope to get pregnant again this year, so I'm excited either way (some days, I lean towards starting my PhD in Fall 2011, other days I hope to have a baby in Winter 2011).

In the Decisions, Decisions forum, I think I ruffled someone's feathers about applying to schools based on weather, but I wonder if this is field specific--I honestly cannot see myself getting the same amount of knowledge at various institutions. Maybe in SW they are more differentiated from each other??

On 1/21/2011 at 11:58 AM, NadaJ said:

You know, I keep going back and forth between this being a crazy idea just applying to one program, or the right thing to do. Are you also applying to SW PhD programs? I seriously looked over several programs--WashU, Berkeley, UPenn, UWisc-Madison, and UChicago, but only one stood out. I'm so glad I made contact with the POI, because she was so helpful with my SOP, and giving me some insight into the program, what she's looking for in a PhD student and the important question, if she would advise me. Her research is so interesting and ground breaking, I would be thrilled to be her advisee, but if I don't get accepted, I will still follow her work and apply again next year. Also, I have a 2.5 YO, and if I dont get accepted, I hope to get pregnant again this year, so I'm excited either way (some days, I lean towards starting my PhD in Fall 2011, other days I hope to have a baby in Winter 2011).

In the Decisions, Decisions forum, I think I ruffled someone's feathers about applying to schools based on weather, but I wonder if this is field specific--I honestly cannot see myself getting the same amount of knowledge at various institutions. Maybe in SW they are more differentiated from each other??

Yes, I am applying to ONE (crazy, huh?) SW PhD program. I met with several POI's (5 schools - very costly travel cost and missed lots of workdays) and only two schools (POI's) really matched my research interest. Unfortunately, with a very demanding workload, i missed the deadline at USC. It was a growth experience for me just meeting these experts in the field - if that's all that I could take from this application round. I did look into Cal, WashU, UPenn, and UHawaii (for the weather, obviously - LOL) but no faculty matched my specific interests there. I would have considered UPenn (but they seem to have a 1200 GRE cutoff.)

I wouldn't want to make my decision based on the weather, although Hawaii weather sounds really good, I've to admit. If there was a faculty there that matches my specific interest, I would definitely apply. I visited Columbia in December and it was very, very cold. Not sure if I could live in that weather but if there was a perfect match and great funding, I would definitely go for it.

Good luck on the PhD app and/or the baby plan! Either way, it will be an awesome year for you!!

UPenn has a GRE cut off? LOL, I did not know that! I was too busy looking through the faculty pages and their CVs. That was eye opening for me and narrowed down my choice of options considerably. Seems like there are a lot of schools that cater to child welfare and mental health, but do not delve so much into poverty and inequality.

My husband and I have wanted to move to Seattle for a long time. But, the one faculty person there I wanted to work with left to go to Madison, so UW Seattle was a no-go for me--despite the weather, mountains, and proximity to Vancouver where my BIL and SIL live.

I traveled via bus/train/plane/automobile making visits too! I figured, if I'm going the one app route, I need to put my best effort forward--without retaking the GRE.

UPenn has a GRE cut off? LOL, I did not know that! I was too busy looking through the faculty pages and their CVs. That was eye opening for me and narrowed down my choice of options considerably. Seems like there are a lot of schools that cater to child welfare and mental health, but do not delve so much into poverty and inequality.

My husband and I have wanted to move to Seattle for a long time. But, the one faculty person there I wanted to work with left to go to Madison, so UWash was a no-go for me--despite the weather, mountains, and proximity to Vancouver where my BIL and SIL live.

I traveled via bus/train/plane/automobile making visits too! I figured, if I'm going the one app route, I need to put my best effort forward--without retaking the GRE.

UPenn does not make the GRE cutoff explicit on their website. But when i emailed them for a pre-application interview, their response included that information. I was supposed to meet with them anyway but I cancelled since I don't think there was a good match.

My GRE score is exactly the reason i went and met with POI - to give them a broader sense of who I am, past my GRE score. If I do not get in this round, I will definitely meet with PO's again next round. It helped me refine my specific interests.

On a side note... I just checked my email and saw an email from the school I applied to and my heart made a big thud - then I realized I had requested my password coz I had forgotten it. LOL. Crazymaking.