How to send an e-mail to professor regarding PhD admission

forksdude

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post. I'm about to complete my Masters in the Electrical Engineering, and planning to apply for PhD in the electrical engineering in Canada. My problem is I don't have any work experience, and I haven't published papers, and I'm planning to do my PhD in wireless communication where my masters research is related to digital image processing. So, I was wandering how I need to sent an e-mail to a professor regarding PhD admission. Please help me. I appreciate yours replies.

Thanks,

Forksdude

Welcome!

Take a look at some of the sample emails here:

http://sites.google.com/site/gradappadvice/downloads

http://science-professor.blogspot.com/2007/12/writing-to-me.html

This is a good read, too:

http://science-professor.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-to-expect-when-youre-clueless.html

If there's anything that still confuses you after reading these, feel free to ask!

Awesome!!

Helped me a lot!!

But my problem is, I'm going to switch my research field from "Digital Image Processing" to " Wireless Communications". So, I was like how to write an e-mail to a professor without any research experience in Wireless Field. But the good thing is I have taken so many courses related to communications both in my undergrad & grad level.

Could any body help me by giving some precious comments! (:

Hi Forksdude,

First let me say I know NOTHING about engineering. So if there are different "rules" or norms in your field I am completely unaware. Contacting professors before applications is always tricky for anyone. However, I am from the camp that believes it is a necessary part of the application process. In the email, you want to be concise - brief so they will actually read it and not be turned off, but not vague so they will know you are serious. I would suggest drafting a few paragraphs stating that you are interested in applying to their program, and why you are specifically interested in that particular professor's work. Say something like, although my research background is primarily grounded in X, here is why I am pursuing a PhD in Y: and list your reasons concisely - but remember, you will be sending in a personal statement with your application. This is your chance to "hook" them and get them interested in your app so sound strong and succinct. And I don't necessarily think that having research unrelated research experience is a bad thing. You have experience, that is a plus. You are familiar with the process and can apply what you have learned to other domains. I think research experience is probably the most important factor for most adcoms so find a way to play it up, even if its not going to be what your life's work is all about.

In my emails, I have always attached my CV to the email. Some people don't agree with this approach, but I think that its fine. It's there if they want to read it, but they don't HAVE to open the attachment if they don't want to. In my experience, it's worked in my favor. I would safely say that 99% of faculty members that I have emailed have responded favorably.

Good luck!!!

you'll have to figure out what your past research & hopefully future research fields have in common. considering technology now a days, i'm sure it wont be hard to relate digital image processing to wireless communication. with that said, you should address why you are interested in so & so's work and briefly mention how your past experience affirmed this (brief meaning 1 sentence). if you do this correctly, you may have an upper hand by being able to bring something "new" and "different" to so & so's research. good luck