Structural Engineering FALL 2011 Admits

d3amon

hey buddy,

you're applying for the master's program, correct? i'm going for Ph.D. and haven't heard anything yet. getting slightly concerned. I've been in industry for 6 years after getting my masters at another top 15 big 10 school and did 790/540/3.0 on the GRE's last year. Any other info from UMN yet? When is the welcome weekend? i'm probably just panicking, but trying to gather info.

thanks!

I got an email from UMN today inviting me to its Welcome Weekend. "This recruiting weekend is a great opportunity to get to know our faculty, learn about our courses and research, tour our facilities, and meet current graduate students and your future classmates." They're reimbursing all travel and stay expenses.

So does this mean I've been admitted?????????

Yes I did apply for the masters program. I got an invite from the department at about 5pm yesterday. I emailed the person back asking if this meant that I was admitted since my status check was still blank, and she responded back that I should keep checking and it should be posted in the next week or two. But as of right now, my status check remains blank.

The welcome weekend is in 3 weeks, March 3-5, so there's still plenty of time.

I don't have any other info for you, since technically I haven't been admitted yet. I'm sure you'll hear soon though!

hey buddy,

you're applying for the master's program, correct? i'm going for Ph.D. and haven't heard anything yet. getting slightly concerned. I've been in industry for 6 years after getting my masters at another top 15 big 10 school and did 790/540/3.0 on the GRE's last year. Any other info from UMN yet? When is the welcome weekend? i'm probably just panicking, but trying to gather info.

thanks!

thanks for the info. fingers crossed. basically my top choice but we shall see...

Also regarding the UMN welcome weekend, they gave me until Friday Feb 18 to RSVP, so I would think you'd get an invite by the end of the week, or maybe early next week.

Decisions for Boulder will start to be sent out next Monday (Feb 14th). Their visiting day is March 4th. I want to know now! This wait is slowly killing me.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING from Princeton? I have had zero correspondence with anyone at the university. I sent out e-mails in December to potential research advisors and got absolutely nothing back--kind of disappointing.

I feel incredibly blessed to have been accepted to 3 schools this week, as I got letters from UC Davis yesterday and now UIUC today. But I really would liike some funding and have heard nothing on that matter as of yet. I'll be a lot happier if and when that info comes in!

Congrats! Do you go to Purdue for undergrad? Just curious why you didn't apply there.

I do go to Purdue, and I love it. I'm just ready for a change of scenery. I've lived in Indiana my entire life and am looking to experience a new area for a change.

But I would highly recommend Purdue to others, the faculty are really incredible, especially in the Structures department.

I feel incredibly blessed to have been accepted to 3 schools this week, as I got letters from UC Davis yesterday and now UIUC today. But I really would liike some funding and have heard nothing on that matter as of yet. I'll be a lot happier if and when that info comes in!

hey man, congrats on the really excellent admissions. i'm pretty jealous. i'm curious if you would post your relevant stats to kinda help myself and the others get a better idea. Any inclination to where you'd prefer of the ones you applied to?

My stats are as follows:

GPA 3.77

Program GPA 3.81

GRE: 800Q 460V 4.0W

3 solid letters of recommendation

a decent statement of purpose, i think

no research experience.

i don't know what else to write really

Honestly, I think the reputation of Purdue (my undergraduate school) has helped me significantly. Not that my stats are bad, but I didn't really expect to get into Illinois.

And no preference really yet, but if one offers me an assistantship, then i'll certainly go with that one.

hey man, congrats on the really excellent admissions. i'm pretty jealous. i'm curious if you would post your relevant stats to kinda help myself and the others get a better idea. Any inclination to where you'd prefer of the ones you applied to?

Edited by nervousandimpatient

Question. I'm planning my open house visits and flights are RIDICULOUS like $650 round trip (end of Feb/early March). Could I politely ask if the department could reimburse some travel costs or this an inappropriate thing to even ask?

Hey! So for UT Austin, I asked them if they were reimbursing us (this was an informal conversation over the phone with someone not in my program) and he said yeah. I think it varies from school to school because UC Davis invited me to visit campus for an interview and they didn't mention anything about supporting us to go there. Then 10 minutes later I got an email from the same professor that read something along the lines of, "Because you have a good academic record, we're giving you $100 or $250 dollars to visit depending on if you're instate or not."

Are you visiting the school for an interview? If so, it may be rude to ask, but if you've been invited it never hurts -- I guess. Also if you're looking for cheap tickets studentuniverse.com sometimes has really great prices on flights.

Hey! So for UT Austin, I asked them if they were reimbursing us (this was an informal conversation over the phone with someone not in my program) and he said yeah. I think it varies from school to school because UC Davis invited me to visit campus for an interview and they didn't mention anything about supporting us to go there. Then 10 minutes later I got an email from the same professor that read something along the lines of, "Because you have a good academic record, we're giving you $100 or $250 dollars to visit depending on if you're instate or not."

Are you visiting the school for an interview? If so, it may be rude to ask, but if you've been invited it never hurts -- I guess. Also if you're looking for cheap tickets studentuniverse.com sometimes has really great prices on flights.

I'm just going for open house type events but have professors I'd like to meet when I get there. So I guess maybe like an informal interviews? Like I mentioned earlier, I think visiting these schools will really help me decide where I want to go and more importantly, let me gauge the people I could potentially be working with (advisor and his/her students). In my mind, I figure it won't hurt to ask by sending a quick e-mail to the grad coordinators since the worst they can say is "no".

I fly a lot and usually set up price alerts on my flights (sidestep.com) and book directly through the airline (usually; sometimes those 3rd party sites have better deals last minute). I started looking for flights on Thursday and just in the last few days the fares increased $200 for two entirely different round trips! One of the flights is to the airport I fly into when I visit my hometown/family and usually can get a roundtrip/nonstop for $300. I have never seen prices this high except around the holidays. I mean, it's still about 2-3 weeks out--fares are abnormally high.

Edited by phunky

One of my friends got rejected from there today. That was his safety school, but he got into purdue and penn state which is kind of weird. But I would say that no news is good news at this point.

Has anyone heard from the Univ. of Colorado @ Boulder today?! The grad coordinator sent an e-mail out last week stating that decisions will be going out starting today. I haven't received any word yet.

One of my friends got rejected from there today. That was his safety school, but he got into purdue and penn state which is kind of weird. But I would say that no news is good news at this point.

Thank you for posting this! Did he apply to the structures program? That's a little ambitious calling CUBoulder his safety school--it's ranked #22 in the nation for CE (although the engineering acceptance rate is 56%). Sorry to your friend:(.

\

Oh, no, He applied to the Arch. Eng. program. Forgot about that until you brought it up.

Another of my classmates applied to the Structures program at Boulder and hasn't yet heard back, I found out today.

Again, good luck!

Thank you for posting this! Did he apply to the structures program? That's a little ambitious calling CUBoulder his safety school--it's ranked #22 in the nation for CE (although the engineering acceptance rate is 56%). Sorry to your friend:(.

\

Oh, no, He applied to the Arch. Eng. program. Forgot about that until you brought it up.

Another of my classmates applied to the Structures program at Boulder and hasn't yet heard back, I found out today.

Again, good luck!

Thank you! You are really calming my nerves.:)

I received an e-mail from GA Tech a few hours ago inviting me to the admitted students days (March 11th and 12th). They are reimbursing travel expenses--hooray! Will I see anyone else there?