just graduated - how to contact professors for "leads"

mlle

Unfortunately, I'm back again. I was hoping I'd never have to return to this joint, but alas, there one more thing to do now that I finished grad school: find a job.

So yeah, I just graduated with master's #2 last month. I now have a terminal social science masters with an "applied" emphasis, and a professional degree, the latter of which I just finished (please, do refrain from the inevitable, contemptuous, ass-biting question, "Well WHY did you get TWO master's degrees??? What is the POINT of that???" which I know you are all thinking)

But I have yet to find a job, and the prospects are not looking good: I've had two interviews and 2 rejections so far (a needless to insert footnote: I am a really, really underwelming interviewee, which adds an additional barrier to me finding a job given the current climate of the market). No other organizations to which I've applied have contacted me for an interview.

I just talked today to someone who graduated a year ahead of me and who now has a job as a professional RA at the school. She said she knows recent graduates of the program for whom it took a year to land a job after graduating (This type of scenario is not news to anyone, but I still began to hyperventilate. The economy is kaput, but I still need to pay my bills...) She also said I should start wooing my now-former professors for leads, referrals, opportunities to work for pay on their grant-funded research teams, etc "because they know you and they know your strengths." In other words, network via my professors. I know my other newly graduated classmates are doing this, so I'll be "another one" of many begging for peanuts (another footnote: I graduated with a large cohort; you know professional programs. They're basically degree farms).

So, my rambling aside, how exactly does one go about contacting a professor you know to find job leads? Specifically, what is the etiquette of doing this? Should I send them a "message" on the ubiquitous Linked-in so that they see the specific info about my background when I contact them (most of my professors in this program are on Linked in, though I'm not personally "connected" with any of them)? Or should I send a more formal e-mail?

Whatever the means, my plan was to contact my professors who I sense wouldn't be sincerely irritated to hear from me (e.g. "Oh, God, another one." or, "Oh, God, not THIS one!") and tell them I'm interested in working in the blah blah blah area of work, and, after taking their class in this area, would they be able to tell me more info about current opportunities or organizations they know of in this field of work. Something to that effect. I know you guys are mostly PhD students or PhD applicants, but you still know something about the convoluted rituals of professor-student communication in a university setting.

And, another footnote--I'm not trying to actively solicit replies if no one here really knows what the hell to tell me, but I'm going to feel really humiliated if this stands as a lone post and no one has anything to say, even if it's only, "this isn't really the type of forum for your topic. You should try xyz forum." And then the mod locks the thread...

Edited by mlle

Number 1: I wasn't thinking 'why get two master's degrees?' honestly. I don't know what your degrees are in and whether they compliment each other, but I didn't think 'la, this person is gready about education, doesn't s/he know that s/he is only allowed so much." It could just be the mental place you are in right now, an the anonymous nature of the forum, but you NEED to not be defensive and putting yourself down about your past choices. You made them for a reason right? Find a way to present you multiple advanced degrees as strengths - you have more to offer than someone who just got one of those degrees.

Number 2: It doesn't matter that everyone else is talking to professors and networking. As professors in a professional program, it is part of their job to maintain contacts with non-academics who might be able to take students on as employees. Again, you are letting a (seemingly, this post is all I know about you) low self-esteem get in the way of utilizing one of the key aspects of an applied program. Regardless of whether you think a professor likes you in specific (though if you have reason to think that they may particularly dislike you for some reason, maybe avoid), if you like the area they teach, that is the person you need to be talking to because they have the connections. Do some introspection: Why did you get these degrees? Or at least the latest one? What was the long term objective? Now: What sort of entry-level jobs (or slightly above with the masters) would move you closer to the long term goal? When you have a firm idea of what you want, make lists of why you are qualified for that work, why you would be an asset in such a position. I think you need to do what you need to do to convince yourself that you are a good applicant for these positions. Do you have either a mentor/professor or at least another graduate of the program who has seen your strengths and weaknesses that you can talk with? At least in this post, you seem to be focusing way too strongly on the negative. You want to project self-confidence rather than low self-esteem, but it has be be genuine or it will come off as arrogant or fake instead.

My roommate's boyfriend last year graduated with a Masters in engineering. He developed a relationship with a professor who had the sort of network that my friend needed to get the job he wanted. He went to career services and had them help him tailor his resume. (My career services also helps with interview skills, perhaps yours does too.) There was a weekly or bi-weekly networking dinner that puts recent graduate in the situation of dressing business casual regularly so it felt less strange and meeting new people regularly. I think potential employers were invited to some of these dinners. (I don't know if your school has this sort of event, but you would only know if you were actively using your professor's connections.) He had the added pressure of needing to find a job within his direct field and within a certain number of months from graduation in order to transition from a student visa to a work visa. He got a job within 3-4 months of graduating.

As for how to approach professors: I think what you were saying is good. Target the professors who are in the areas you are interested in and request meetings. In the email say that you would like to discuss job hunting strategies within the sub-field that you are interested in. The professors will be more invested in helping you if they have face-to-face contact with you. Ask about how past students have found the type of job you are looking for, how the industry is doing in the job market, if they have any specialized knowledge about where jobs might be. Don't go in expecting them to get you a job, go in looking to learn how to find yourself a job from someone who had guided people through the process before.

Anyway, this has been sort of rambling and long but I hope some of that helps!

A reply! And an uncritical one--definitely the voice of a psychologist, or future one (No, I'm not looking for online therapy or psychoanalysis, just noting your background). Yes, my degrees do complement each other, which is why I got the latter. There are several "duel degree" programs that offer my combination of masters, I just happened to get mine one after the other. But that godforsaken question is still one that I often get, including at interviews--in a more carefully worded fashion of course. And my academic advisor in this program flat out asked it to me without mincing any words when I started the program (So much for building rapport at our first meeting).

Anyway, yes, I was--am--in a state of panic and doubt when I posted this. And no, you didn't ramble too much. I need all the details I can get. I suppose I'll have to suck it up and start contacting and asking for meetings and all that beginning next week. Hopefully these informational interviews won't go as miserably as my typical job interview.

I've been to the career office, did the whole resume and cover letter critique. My resume and cover letters seem to be fine. My problem is getting my foot in the door and then not blowing the damn interview. And yes, I'm currently doing a weekly how-to-find-a-job workshop held by the school's career office. They do give you interview training and all that...and they also basically said you can't get a job anywhere in the current market without a referral. I honestly can't understand why no one else in the workshop group doesn't seem to be as alarmed as I am about this whole disgusting process, but this is probably my personality.

Thanks, and good luck with those applications.

I agree with LJK about asking professors that research what you want to do about job hunting strategies. Also are you involved with a professional organization with either one of your degrees? Sometimes you can find great people to network with if your professors do not have any leads.

Did you do an internship or gain professional experience while in graduate school? If so, I would network with those people as well. This is actually how I secured a job after my master's degree. Not at the same place that I was interning at, but I used my supervisor's network to secure a position.

How about the alumni network for your programs? Is there an alumnus/a in a particular field/area that you would like to work in? I would at least contact him/her and ask him/her about how he/she got started and if he/she knows of any available positions. This may put you out of your comfort zone, but sometimes you just have to be willing to take a risk!

Lastly, I found a great blog that has amazing advice not only about job hunting/interviews/networking but also about work place issues in general. I recommend that you check it out:

Ask A Manager blog I have been reading her advice for about a year now and I have found it invaluable.

Good luck on your search!

Thanks so much for the blog! It's really helpful.

Yes, I have gotten in touch with the supervisor for my practicum that I did for this program. That person was actually the person I was talking about in my OP, who told me to network with profs. She now works under one of the professors and serves as the go-to for students who do their practicum with that professor's program. (So she's basically supervising her peers; it's makes things both awkward and more comfortable at the same time). She vaguely said she'd be "happy to help" at our meeting, and I asked if I could continue to volunteer with the research projects while I look for a job (so I can tell employers I'm currently doing something at least somewhat substantive) but there's still the whole, I need an income thing.

I guess contacting alumni will be next (Oh, God).

I think it's obvious I'm put out of my comfort zone when it comes to networking and job searching no matter what I do....

Thanks so much for the blog! It's really helpful.

Yes, I have gotten in touch with the supervisor for my practicum that I did for this program. That person was actually the person I was talking about in my OP, who told me to network with profs. She now works under one of the professors and serves as the go-to for students who do their practicum with that professor's program. (So she's basically supervising her peers; it's makes things both awkward and more comfortable at the same time). She vaguely said she'd be "happy to help" at our meeting, and I asked if I could continue to volunteer with the research projects while I look for a job (so I can tell employers I'm currently doing something at least somewhat substantive) but there's still the whole, I need an income thing.

I guess contacting alumni will be next (Oh, God).

I think it's obvious I'm put out of my comfort zone when it comes to networking and job searching no matter what I do....

You're welcome! I hope the job searching process is relatively quick and painless for you. I always find when I am cold calling/emailing people that the first time is hard, but then it gets much easier after that. If you have a mutual connection with an alumnus/a have that person write you an introduction email and it will help pave the way!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Granted I'm in a different field, but my adviser has always kept an eye on employability and made suggestions on what would get me employed, and she has always understood that eventually, y'know, I'd have to work, like, for money. This is sometimes abnormal as many faculty don't inhabit the same job universe as the rest of us, but you should bring it up with them. Just say you want to talk about employment options, and if they're willing, you will send them your resume to look over, if they any suggestions or leads to let you know. I hate doing this kind of stuff, but honestly, it's a lot better than being unable to pay the bills, right?

Volume is also important-- apply for everything, and I mean everything that comes up. Eventually, someone will call.

Edited by Goldwater64