What school should I go to for Clinical Psychology?

myanlee

Hello to all of you,

I'm an undergraduate senior student doing Psychology in The State University of New York, Buffalo in Singapore (they offer a program in Singapore, where I stay). I'm in my last 2 semesters, and I'm considering where to apply to. I would really, really be very appreciative if I could obtain help on this forum! Just looking at university applications make it really stressful for me. :(

My resident director in Singapore has encouraged me to head over to Buffalo to do my PhD. However (and I really, really don't wanna sound conceited), I believe I deserve more than my current college in terms of academic development - also considering that University at Buffalo does not have a very recognized Psychology department. Please feel free to correct me if anyone of you believes that I'm horribly mistaken!

Please read my academic information below:

1) My GPA is a 3.966/4.0 - I guess I can be considered an international student since I don't actually study in the campus itself! I've never S/Ued any courses, and I've generally stuck to Psychology-related stuff.

2) I'm going to be taking my GRE in April, so I have no idea how I'm gonna do for that - but I did sign up for a prep course.

3) I'm a scholarship recipient in the Singapore program for University at Buffalo - but it's only for a semester's study in Buffalo, so really - it's nothing major

4) The undergraduate program in Singapore doesn't offer any thesis component, nor any research component! This is one big headache for me!

5) Currently, I'm a research assistant at one of the local universities, but only doing grunt work such as conducting tests, nothing major at all!

6) I'm currently applying for a psychology internship at the neuroscience clinic at one of the hospitals in my country. I should be getting it if nothing goes wrong.

Now, I would really appreciate help on the following questions that I have:

a) I looked at the Clinical Psychology program for UC Berkeley, and the first thing that I saw was that, "... it is very advantageous to have field research experience. Many of our successful applicants have at least a year of such related experience, and most have more."

Will this jeopardize my chances if I apply for this program? Will my internship and little research experience be able to substitute for their "field research experience" component?

If I'm unable to obtain enough research experience, should I take a 1-year postgraduate diploma to obtain the "thesis component" and "research experience" required? Will my current standing be good enough?

b. I'll be heading over to Buffalo, New York to complete my last semester under the scholarship that I managed to obtain. I have sent emails to professors (who have come over to teach the cohort here), and they have agreed to let me tour their research labs. I've asked them if I could do some research work for them - any form! - and I'm now waiting for a reply.

How can I maximize my short time over in Buffalo to make sure that I can expedite my own application for the top universities in U.S?

c) I'm really interested in the Clinical Psychology program at UC Berkeley, for it is world renowned, and I would be thrilled to be able to work with such esteemed people and to be able to share, discuss and do work together! However, what are the other Clinical Psychology programs in the U.S. that are good too? Being in Singapore, it is difficult to find out a lot about the professors in the U.S.

d) How do I study for the GRE? I would like to practice on my own too besides what the prep course offers me. Will doing the GRE books suffice?

-----

As you guys can probably see, I'm really one stressed up furball. I really want to make the best choice for my postgraduate education, and not waste the time (and money!!) that will be needed.

Thanks so much in advance for everything! I would be really appreciative if I could obtain some enlightenment amidst all this gloom. I'm a confused student right now indeed. :(

Edited by myanlee

Hi Myanlee,

why do you want to do clinical psychology? the reason many programs look for extensive research experience is to make sure people know what they are getting into. You will need more research experience to get into schools like UC Berkeley. However, it sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you're mainly going off a school's reputation. You didn't say anything about what aspects of clinical psychology you're interested in, and having a good research match is very important. I would recommend that you take some more time to explore the discipline- definitely get as much research experience at Buffalo as you can, read papers of people you're interested in, etc. Then, see who is doing research you find exciting and look into those programs. And don't be afraid to take time between undergrad and grad school to get more research experience- that is becoming almost expected at many top clinical psych schools.

good luck!

Hello Nessa,

Many thanks for your response! It was timely and important for me. :)

You know what, I reckon you're right partially - I do feel that I'm applying for UC Berkeley based off reputation - and it's very clear to me that I was going in without knowing what was getting into after reading what you said! I guess I was just a little worried about the age and time factors - there's compulsory national service in Singapore and I'm not getting any younger. ;)

I'll do just what you did! However, what would be your (or anyone on this forum's) appraisal on my credentials? Besides gaining research experience, I do want to know how I can further bolster my academic profile so that I can better expedite my entry into a good graduate school.

Thanks again, Nessa - what you said about research experience and "knowing what you're getting into" really struck me - I'm gonna rethink my options very carefully!

Myanlee

Hi Myanlee,

why do you want to do clinical psychology? the reason many programs look for extensive research experience is to make sure people know what they are getting into. You will need more research experience to get into schools like UC Berkeley. However, it sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you're mainly going off a school's reputation. You didn't say anything about what aspects of clinical psychology you're interested in, and having a good research match is very important. I would recommend that you take some more time to explore the discipline- definitely get as much research experience at Buffalo as you can, read papers of people you're interested in, etc. Then, see who is doing research you find exciting and look into those programs. And don't be afraid to take time between undergrad and grad school to get more research experience- that is becoming almost expected at many top clinical psych schools.

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi myanlee,

nessa had some really good advice, when programs evaluate candidates, they are not so much looking at a set of credentials as they are trying to figure out if the candidate would be a good fit for the program- that is they have research interests that line up with certain faculty. Taking the time to get research experience will be really valuable as it will help shape your interests, and will demonstrate to admissions committees that you are capable/interested in doing clinical research.

On the topic of studying for the GRE: it's great that you're starting so early. I think one important thing to do is to just add words to your vocabulary. Tons of words. On the order of a hundreds or even a few thousand words. It's not necessarily a hard thing to do, it just takes a loooong time to do it. While a lot of the GRE is certainly about learning 'how' to take the test, I think there's nothing that is so straightforward and helpful to do as learning new words. You can start with vocab lists that prep books provide. Also, don't just learn 1 definition for each word: the GRE test writers like to use the less common 3rd and 4th definitions of words.

I definitely agree with everything everyone else has said. I want to reiterate: the more research experience you have, the better. Clinical psych programs are ridiculously competitive, and having at least a year of research experience is ideal. I only had 9 months in my lab, though, and I've gotten a couple interviews (but I seem to be the exception; most other applicants I've met at interviews have over a year of research experience). Also, make the most of your research opportunities; you said you're just doing grunt work, but try to get as involved as you can. Ask about findings, read relevant papers, and offer to take on more responsibility. Showing enthusiasm really helps. Same goes for your internship.

There are a few factors to consider when trying to figure out where to apply. Reputation is definitely one of them - US News & World report ranks psychology programs across the country, but it is not the ultimate authority on how good a program is. It will just give you a general guideline. The other important factor to consider is fit with faculty interests; this is EXTREMELY important. What do you want to research? Find someone who is doing work in the specific field that you want to do. The way I decided where to apply was by looking at top ranked programs (I used the ranking in The Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology), then going to every department's website and reading over what every clinical faculty member was researching. It's a grueling and time-consuming process, so give yourself lots of time!

I highly recommend the Insider's Guide. It was really helpful. Also, find a faculty member or grad student whom you can ask questions about the process. Pretty much the only way to get through it successfully is to know someone you can ask for advice.