SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I guess I should start. I am applying to 3 schools in Minnesota, St. Cloud, Mankato, and the U of M Twin Cities. I am hoping to get into the U of M.

I was a psychology major and I have been out of school for 3 years. I have been a manager at a group home for adults with autism, which is where my passion for speech and language pathology grew.

My major frustration with the application system is the letters of recommendation. The system could use some fixing and I have had issues with one procrastinating professor who I am still unsure that he will get his letters in for all of the schools. This would seriously make me mad since I have been working on getting into grad school for at least 6 months, not to mention the amount of money it costs to apply.

I hope this time goes fast! I can't wait to go back to school (if i get in)!

I'm applying to CU-Boulder, University of Washington, University of Oregon, and Portland State University. UW is my first choice, even though I have no idea how I'll pay for it even if I do get accepted.

My biggest frustration has been trying to get in touch with CU-Boulder to make sure all of my letters of recommendations made it in. I got email notices for three, but all four of my letter writers say they uploaded theirs. The automated phone message directs all inquiries to the program assistant's email address. Well I emailed two weeks ago and still haven't gotten a response. I understand that this close to deadlines, they must be getting hundreds of emails and I'm trying to be patient, but all the other schools have responded to email questions within one to two days. I'm also having fun waiting on CSDCAS to verify all of my transcripts/calculate my GPA so my application can be mailed out to PSU.

The entire graduate admission process really is a six-month stomachache!

Hello all!

My application process has been pretty stress-free thus far...the worst part is waiting. Waiting waiting waiting. For things to get into/through our lovely mail system (aka transcripts and rec letters--why those can't be electronically submitted for all schools is beyond me) as well as waiting for DECISIONS (dun dun dunnnnn). Thankfully I managed to escape CSDCAS.

Best wishes to everyone else applying! Here's hoping we all get into our dream schools (with full funding :lol:)

Hi!

I've applied to Emerson, MGH, and Teachers College @ Columbia...eagerly awaiting response, though I know they won't come for at least another few months. Anyone out there applicants to the program at these schools?

Best of luck to everyone!

My biggest frustration has been trying to get in touch with CU-Boulder to make sure all of my letters of recommendations made it in. I got email notices for three, but all four of my letter writers say they uploaded theirs.

I only got an email for one, but all four say they have submitted! I also emailed last week and have not received a response. I've been trying to call, but timezones, cell phone service (or lack thereof) and my work schedule have been plotting against me. I hope it's just a glitch in the system.

About me:

I've applied (am applying) to University of Washington, CU Boulder, Northwestern, Purdue, U Illinois, BU, UMD College Park, and Teachers College. For UW, I'm applying to their postbac program since I was not an undergraduate SLP major. My top choice vacillates, and is currently CU Boulder. But I would be happy at any of these schools.

Frustrations: CU application as listed above. The most stressful part is applying while working. I work in a National Park and have limited internet access and long hours. This leaves me little free time to get my act together, and I have to drive to get internet, or stay late, and so on. It's been a pain. Currently, I'm procrastinating writing my UDub statement as I watch a snowstorm roll by.

Also- When should we be expecting decisions to come out?

GOOD LUCK everybody. The most aggravating, but not the most heart-wrenching, part is over! (once I send in the UW app, that is...)

MGH

Emerson

BU

St. Xavier

Rush

Northwestern

U of Minnesota

PSU

George Washington

9 applications, 6 of them CSDCAS. I have a feeling the decisions are going to take an extra-long time at the CSDCAS schools due to the aching slowness of the processing.

I had a lot of frustrations with CSDCAS.

I've applied (am applying) to University of Washington, CU Boulder, Northwestern, Purdue, U Illinois, BU, UMD College Park, and Teachers College.

Yeah! I'm soon to be a Purdue grad! (graduating from my undergrad, that is :)) Let me know if you have any questions about West Lafayette or anything and I'll do my best to help!

I am happy that I didn't have to use csdcas. It sounds like the idea is a good one though, in theory.

My LORS finally made it in!

Now just waiting and obsessing.

Hi!

I've applied to Emerson, MGH, and Teachers College @ Columbia...eagerly awaiting response, though I know they won't come for at least another few months. Anyone out there applicants to the program at these schools?

I'm applying to TC as well. Good luck to us!

Someone e-mailed me from the Admissions Office to clarify something on my application, which made me happy, because some other schools have been bad about communicating so far.

Yeah! I'm soon to be a Purdue grad! (graduating from my undergrad, that is :)) Let me know if you have any questions about West Lafayette or anything and I'll do my best to help!

Thanks! I'm actually living in NW Indiana right now (near Michigan City), working in the Dunes. I visited West Lafayette with a friend the other weekend and witnessed the magic that is Von's. I'm hoping I'll get in, since it might be the only school I can afford due to residency!

Were you an SLP undergrad?

Ooh maybe that is a good sign! They're at least reading the apps! :) Yea, I'm crossing fingers here. It seems like a very long wait haha.

Good luck!!! :D

On 1/25/2011 at 1:09 PM, gretel said:

I'm applying to TC as well. Good luck to us!

Someone e-mailed me from the Admissions Office to clarify something on my application, which made me happy, because some other schools have been bad about communicating so far.

Thanks! I'm actually living in NW Indiana right now (near Michigan City), working in the Dunes. I visited West Lafayette with a friend the other weekend and witnessed the magic that is Von's. I'm hoping I'll get in, since it might be the only school I can afford due to residency!

Were you an SLP undergrad?

Mmmmm...I love Von's. One of my minors is English, so every semester that I take an English class, I get to wander the store. LOVE.

Yes, I was (am?) an SLP undergrad. Guess I should have been more clear :lol:

Hello SLP applicants,

What schools are you applying to?

What school do you want to go to?

Any exciting news or frustrations along the way?

I applied to SUNY Fredonia, SUNY Plattsburgh, U South Dakota, Nazareth, Syracuse, and St. Rose. Truthfully, I like all of the programs.. but I think my top choices are Naz, Syracuse, and St. Rose. I can't WAIIIT to hear back, I'm dying. I just got a bunch of emails for missing items (ahh!) but I think I have everything resolved. All of my deadlines are Tues, and I think I'm ready. I'm super nervous for interviews though! Good luck all.. Can't wait to see people posting their acceptance notices!

Hi There,

I applied to 2 of the 3 schools that you mentioned. Have you been able to find out any information about when decisions will be coming?

Thanks and good luck!

Hi!

Hi!!

Well, I know Emerson said somewhere on their website 6-8 weeks after the deadline of Jan. 15, but also that some people would hear sooner. TC and MGH I'm not sure. I'm hoping soon! I already feel like the wait has been soo long.

Good luck to you too!

:)

Hi There,

I applied to 2 of the 3 schools that you mentioned. Have you been able to find out any information about when decisions will be coming?

Thanks and good luck!

CU Boulder update-

I called & got a hold of the SLP department today. They said that there is no real way to check our applicaiton status. They can check whether our recommendations are in (the Graduate School can also do that), but there was supposed to be an internet portal through which we/they could check our status and it hasn't been completed. Because of the "inundation" of inquiries and materials, they are proceeding with the self-reported information & recommendations, and will not be penalizing if, say, a transcript comes in late or hasn't come in.

I hope that makes sense.

I called the Dept. at Three Oh Three.... Four Nine Two.... Six Four Four Five & the man was very understanding.

Hi! So glad I found this. My non-CSD friends are really sick of listening to me about apps.

I've applied to:

Pitt (where I'm currently finishing my BS in CSD)

University of Washington - Seattle

NYU

BU

Rush

Misericordia

Bloomsburg

I hated CSDCAS and don't want to talk about it...

Good luck to everyone!

Hi! So glad I found this. My non-CSD friends are really sick of listening to me about apps.

I've applied to:

Pitt (where I'm currently finishing my BS in CSD)

University of Washington - Seattle

NYU

BU

Rush

Misericordia

Bloomsburg

I hated CSDCAS and don't want to talk about it...

Good luck to everyone!

If it makes you feel better, my CSDCAS application was just processed this morning. Even with a whole host of absurd problems (which I can tell you about by private message if you want a vent session), it took 26 days from the day I e-submitted.

If it makes you feel better, my CSDCAS application was just processed this morning. Even with a whole host of absurd problems (which I can tell you about by private message if you want a vent session), it took 26 days from the day I e-submitted.

ughhh. I still don't think they even mailed mine out yet. I've been waiting for several weeks for my GPA to be calculated. It was calculated as of Thursday last week but there still isn't a mailing date next to any of my school designations. I'm trying to not think about it because I get really angry, and even angrier when I realize there is nothing I can do about it haha.

ughhh. I still don't think they even mailed mine out yet. I've been waiting for several weeks for my GPA to be calculated. It was calculated as of Thursday last week but there still isn't a mailing date next to any of my school designations. I'm trying to not think about it because I get really angry, and even angrier when I realize there is nothing I can do about it haha.

Mine aren't mailed either. I heard that they try to mail them in batches, which is really annoying.

I'm really surprised at the amount of people who had problems with CSDCAS applications. Maybe it is a touch different for me since I'm international, so my deadlines were earlier than domestic students, but I had no issues whatsoever (back in Nov/Dec). I'm thinking maybe they get super behind on things when the flood of domestic students begin sending their items in. It would really bother me if I sent everything and saw it sitting in the CSDCAS for a month before sending it to the department. As it is, I've sent things to general admissions which hasn't communicated with the specific department, so I get emails of items missing when I actually sent them. Oh grad applications, how I love thee. :P

CU Boulder update-

I called & got a hold of the SLP department today. They said that there is no real way to check our applicaiton status. They can check whether our recommendations are in (the Graduate School can also do that), but there was supposed to be an internet portal through which we/they could check our status and it hasn't been completed. Because of the "inundation" of inquiries and materials, they are proceeding with the self-reported information & recommendations, and will not be penalizing if, say, a transcript comes in late or hasn't come in.

I hope that makes sense.

I called the Dept. at Three Oh Three.... Four Nine Two.... Six Four Four Five & the man was very understanding.

Thank you so much for the update. I wish they would just send out a mass email to everyone with pending applications (or even put up a little blurb on their website), so people weren't completely in the dark.

I e-submitted mine over two weeks ago and my GPA hasn't been calculated (I somehow missed the part of the FAQ that said the process could take up to four weeks). I'm trying not to think about it.