SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I think I'm going insane...  Is anyone else constantly (like...hourly) checking the results page to see what schools started admitting applicants?  Pathetic, I know.  But I can't help it!

Ugh yes and there has been literally no change! I have been refreshing my e-mail on my phone all day and getting more and more anxious.

I haven't seen anyone else on here who applied to the University of Utah. Did any of you who are lurking apply there? What are your thoughts on the program?

I think I'm going insane...  Is anyone else constantly (like...hourly) checking the results page to see what schools started admitting applicants?  Pathetic, I know.  But I can't help it!

Guilty ... 100%.  Refreshing email throughout the day, constantly checking my voicemail / phone for missed calls, Checking the mailbox multiple times after I get home from work just to make sure the post man didn't come back later for an imaginary missed envelope/ package ... I haven't gotten to the point of logging into my application status on the hour, but I am logging in to all of them daily.  I find that to be tedious because several apps you have to completely close the internet and open it up to get to another school's app, so frustrating... Anyway.  At least we have this forum for a bit of "are you this crazy, too?" comfort. 

congrats on emerson, that's awesome!!! when did you find out? and when did you submit your application?

Thanks!! I actually finished my undergrad degree at Emerson in December and we were given the opportunity to apply early, so I applied in November and found out in December. Good luck!! I'm sure you'll be hearing soon!

Hi! I realized we applied to three of the same schools, have you received any emails from MGH about receiving your application from CSDCAS? I just received one from U Pitt and Rush so far. Thanks! BTW congrats on your acceptance to Emerson!!

I only heard back from UPitt and Rush after submitting through CSDCAS...never heard anything from MGH. It made me nervous but I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't receive any sort of confirmation! 

Thanks!! I actually finished my undergrad degree at Emerson in December and we were given the opportunity to apply early, so I applied in November and found out in December. Good luck!! I'm sure you'll be hearing soon!

thank you! we have an overlap of 6 schools that we're applying to, haha!

did you ever get any confirmation from BU when you submitted through csdcas?

My boyfriend just bought me a Nook "because I deserve it"... hopefully this keeps me occupied! I'm so annoyed with myself for checking results a million times a day when I know that nothing will be up yet. 

thank you! we have an overlap of 6 schools that we're applying to, haha!

did you ever get any confirmation from BU when you submitted through csdcas?

Nope, no confirmation from BU either! I imagine we'll be hearing about interviews soon though!

Congratulations!  That's great news!  It's nice when programs let their undergraduates apply early or do a 5-year program--I wish mine did that!  It would definitely ease the stress of applying out... 

Just out of curiosity, what makes you want to leave Emerson? Do you mind giving a little insight into their program and faculty?

Congratulations!  That's great news!  It's nice when programs let their undergraduates apply early or do a 5-year program--I wish mine did that!  It would definitely ease the stress of applying out... 

Just out of curiosity, what makes you want to leave Emerson? Do you mind giving a little insight into their program and faculty?

Thanks! Being able to submit and hear back early definitely took some pressure off, and it helped me get all of my application work done in November so I didn't procrastinate! Haha

In terms of applying to programs other than Emerson, I'm really just looking for a change of pace. The undergrad program is amazing and I've heard nothing but great things about the graduate program, but I just want to change it up a bit if I have the opportunity. In my experience as an undergrad, the faculty is fantastic and you really become close with professors and advisors. The clinic on campus is really amazing also as a resource to both undergrad and graduate students. As an undergrad I was able to observe the graduate students while they were working with clients and they all seemed really confident in what they were doing, so that makes me think their experience in the grad program has been positive. My main concern in going to Emerson for grad school is that I'm really interested in the medical field more so than the school system, and in my opinion, Emerson is very biased towards school placements and working with children as opposed to experiencing the medical field. That is the main issue for me. In terms of Boston, there's no place I'd rather be. There are SO many great opportunities in both medical settings (MGH, Mass Eye and Ear, etc) and in school settings and you really have everything you could imagine available to you.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions! Sorry for the crazy long response!

What do you do after you're in? How do find your schedule? How do you apply for aid?

I'm assuming (though I don't know) that you accept your offer of admission if you choose to do so. All of the additional info like scheduling would be done through contact with the department.

As far as financial aid goes, did you fill out your FAFSA this year? The preliminary version was due on 2/1. This partly determines the financial aid you will receive, if any. 

Good luck, and congrats on being accepted!

Hello- 

Most certainly becoming more and more nervous about the likeihood of me being accepted into an SLP graduate program. I have applied to four schools: Washington State University, Texas State University, Northern Colorado, and the University of New Mexico.

Gpa Major: 3.8 Cumlative: 3.5 GRE Scores: low :unsure:  

Praying I get accepted somewhere

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

rejected:

We will see....

Edited by jenbugg86

What do you do after you're in? How do find your schedule? How do you apply for aid?

I recommend browsing through the financial aid section on the website of each school you applied to. Most schools only require the FAFSA, but many also require a few other documents, so it's best to check the requirements and procedures.

I applied to CSUN's online Master's SLP Program. I completed their SLPA program fall 2011. I am so nervous to find out if I get in or not. My CD gpa is a 3.72 and overall is a 3.33 I originally got my BS in Business - Marketing at CSULB). I was an athlete at CSULB as well (even though that probably means nothing). I also have been working as a sub SLPA since Sept this year. I took my GRE and not excited about my scores V- 145, Q- 150, writing 4.0. I had 0 hours of sleep the night before the test due to my anxiety. I met with the coordinator at CSUN and she said everything looks fine. But now I am second guessing everything and am so worried I will not get in. I got in their SLPA program no problem but I am not sure if that was very competitive or not.

I didnt mean to -1 you not sure how that happened! How do I reverse it! My stats are almost identical, I hope we get in!!!!

My undergrad institution doesn't even use A+'s. I'm sure that has dropped my GPA when competing against other people. 

thats why CSDCAS drops them (and my undergrad doesnt use A+ either). for grad programs that don't use CSDCAS, they find out whether or not undergrad institutions use A+ and incorporate that info, so it's not gonna hurt you. the programs usually recalculate everyone's GPA anyway so it's more standardized

thats why CSDCAS drops them (and my undergrad doesnt use A+ either). for grad programs that don't use CSDCAS, they find out whether or not undergrad institutions use A+ and incorporate that info, so it's not gonna hurt you. the programs usually recalculate everyone's GPA anyway so it's more standardized

Really? That actually makes me feel a lot better. I just assumed it was more work for them to recalculate.  :)

Really? That actually makes me feel a lot better. I just assumed it was more work for them to recalculate.  :)

yeah i mean they might not literally recalculate it but if someone has a 3.8 and they have A+'s in their GPA (that are worth over a 4.0 when theyre averaged in) and someone else has a 3.8 and the school doesn't give A+'s, they're going to view the 3.8 without A+'s as a higher GPA

yeah i mean they might not literally recalculate it but if someone has a 3.8 and they have A+'s in their GPA (that are worth over a 4.0 when theyre averaged in) and someone else has a 3.8 and the school doesn't give A+'s, they're going to view the 3.8 without A+'s as a higher GPA

Part of me thinks it's unfair to exclude A+'s considering I was at risk of getting A-'s (that are worth 3.67), so I feel like the GPA situation would come out in the wash anyways.

At my school at least (I think most schools are like this though), we're able to get A-'s, just not A+'s. Pluses and minuses exist in the grading scale, there are just no A+'s. So if most schools are like this, I can understand why they'd exclude them.